Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's your best post.

Tallest midget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How hard can one :thejoke:?

Paladinus posted:

Tallest midget.

Oof.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How hard can one :thejoke:?

Oof.

Tallest, ah, forget it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That word is now considered an impolite way to refer to little people, fyi.

And I make this promise to you: the current mod team is committed to maintaining bird supremacy in PYF.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What about bird and cat supremacy?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I miss Literally A Bird :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

elise the great posted:

I miss Literally A Bird :(

:emptyquote:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was a “thanks for helping her” thread in QCS, but I can’t find it now.

I don’t think it had any reason to be whisked away to the mod forum, so I’m probably just not looking right.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:same:

I hope she decides to come back and post with us again

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Platystemon posted:

There was a “thanks for helping her” thread in QCS, but I can’t find it now.

I don’t think it had any reason to be whisked away to the mod forum, so I’m probably just not looking right.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929765

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The time of The Bird is over, me and Ferret King are taking over this forum! Rise up my brothers!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moon Slayer posted:

That word is now considered an impolite way to refer to little people, fyi.

Though apparently 'dwarf' is entirely acceptable. Possibly because the condition is scientifically called dwarfism? And maybe they don't mind the associations with the fantasy bearded badasses, which seems fair.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though apparently 'dwarf' is entirely acceptable. Possibly because the condition is scientifically called dwarfism? And maybe they don't mind the associations with the fantasy bearded badasses, which seems fair.

Maybe because dwarfism isn't the same disorder that produces the other little people (without midget what do we call non-dwarf little people?)

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

Maybe because dwarfism isn't the same disorder that produces the other little people (without midget what do we call non-dwarf little people?)

By first, last, or preferred nickname depending on social context?

Note: This post is intended to contain a joke, and should not be read to imply that any quoted posters were posting in bad faith.

thepopmonster has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jul 16, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RFC2324 posted:

quote:

In the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia and other English-speaking countries, some people with dwarfism prefer to be called dwarfs, little people or persons of short stature.

A lot of them don't like the term "midget" any more because that's was the term historically used for the dwarf performers in freakshows and circuses etc, it's got a lot of baggage on it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A lot of them don't like the term "midget" any more because that's was the term historically used for the dwarf performers in freakshows and circuses etc, it's got a lot of baggage on it

Again, dwarfism is a different disorder, we aren't talking about dwarves, and doesn't little people as a term include both things?

E specifically, iirc dwarfism is a disorder, but there plenty of little people without it who just never got big(anyone under 4'11 iirc, but without the specific gene for dwarfism)

There is a difference, and in the past i have had dwarves get mad at me for not recognizing the difference

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Because it actually bothered me

https://www.lpaonline.org/faq-

Looks like dwarves no longer exclude other little people, and little person is the umbrella term.

Also, just call people by their names if you can lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

taking onboard the point about nomenclature, another idiom is therefore required to get the point across

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RFC2324 posted:

Again, dwarfism is a different disorder, we aren't talking about dwarves, and doesn't little people as a term include both things?

E specifically, iirc dwarfism is a disorder, but there plenty of little people without it who just never got big(anyone under 4'11 iirc, but without the specific gene for dwarfism)

There is a difference, and in the past i have had dwarves get mad at me for not recognizing the difference

Plural of non-fantasy dwarf is apparently dwarfs, not dwarves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RFC2324 posted:

Because it actually bothered me

https://www.lpaonline.org/faq-

Looks like dwarves no longer exclude other little people, and little person is the umbrella term.

Also, just call people by their names if you can lol
It's pretty obvious the question being asked is "What is the current preferred nomenclature when describing little people as a group, especially little people who are not dwarfs, in a situation where referring to the group as a whole is required". Unless you have a handy list of the first names of every little person in existence calling people by their names is not an option for that.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
the plural group is called a tap, as in the forward assist

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Tolkien said that the plural of “dwarf” should actually be “dwarrow” but that people would get weird about it so he went with “dwarves” instead, to differentiate them from the English “dwarfs.” So if you’re talking about Thorin & Co, it’s dwarves, or dwarrow if you wanna get shoved in a locker, and if you’re talking about a population of actual humans it’s dwarfs, and if you’re talking about a coworker it’s Junie or Sam or Teresa because why the gently caress would you be talking about their medical conditions anyway

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Autocomplete likes dwarves not dwarfs

Possibly because i play too much d&d

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Anomalously short but not dwarfs? I presume gnomes is the preferred nomenclature?

I've read my Dungeons & Dragons handbook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dwarfism in and of itself is considered a condition of a few possible different disorders and not the disorder, but something like 2/3 of cases are from a specific gene mutation called Achondroplasia, so they probably get conflated a lot.

So you'd be technically correct if you called anyone below 4'10 a dwarf, but you'd also probably be an rear end in a top hat unless you're in a lecture or something.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

NOBODY TELL MARC ALMOND

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I believe "Nelwyn" is the preferred term.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jeza posted:

Anomalously short but not dwarfs? I presume gnomes is the preferred nomenclature?

I've read my Dungeons & Dragons handbook.
Tolkien's gnomes were pretty tall actually.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Tolkien's gnomes were pretty tall actually.

Is the g in gnome pronounced as the g in cage or as the g in collage?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
e: nope that was a stupid joke

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

taking onboard the point about nomenclature, another idiom is therefore required to get the point across

Sharpest hammer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It’s like in g’day

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

3D Megadoodoo posted:

G as in gif

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

e: nope that was a stupid joke

CzarChasm, I saw what you did, and you could have had this glory. But you flinched and now it's no longer yours.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
G as in gwî.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
G as in Nguyen.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

E: vvv thanks!

bike tory posted:

ftfy

Also tag yourself I'm "IF NOWT TWHEN"

Zesty posted:

IFNOT IFNOW THEN WHEN ??

IFNOT THEN IFNOW WHEN ??

IFNOT THEN IFNOT WHEN IFNOW THEN IFNOW WHEN.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Wait, who’s on first?

Evilreaver posted:

Always has been.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a word for when you change the lyrics of a song to be more profane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dareon posted:

Sharpest hammer.

hammers are not defined by their bluntness, though, but rather their driving ability. maybe "lightest hammer" would work but that's a bit weird imo