Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Probably from me! I've sung praises of Nameless Mod in this thread a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Nameless Mod ever coming to Steam? I saw an update for it in my Steam app, but nothing came up when I searched for it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

Is Nameless Mod ever coming to Steam? I saw an update for it in my Steam app, but nothing came up when I searched for it.

It's on Steam, but as a Workshop mod to Deus Ex: Revision

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can't believe this game has been out for over 20 years as of a few weeks ago...

Anything the OP needs to be updated with?

I guess the thread title should be "Vicennial" now!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Deus Ex Decennial Edition Thread: Decennial Edition

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Idk if it’s new but Revision now has all sorts of weird and wild addons, eg “Silent Takedowns”, in which all weapons in the game are GEP Guns

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Idk if it’s new but Revision now has all sorts of weird and wild addons, eg “Silent Takedowns”, in which all weapons in the game are GEP Guns

Time to install revision

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

where is my deus ex recut mod

old men

speedrunning the game

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

Jesus Christ, Dornton.

Jesse Dornton and Walter Smythe

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's on Steam, but as a Workshop mod to Deus Ex: Revision

Oh word, thank you! I already have Revision installated.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t they drop most of the forum injoke stuff in the first level or two? I still haven’t gotten around to playing it because, well, forum in jokes, but I do intend to play it at some point. I heard the level/quest design is shockingly good.

The major factions are still forums groups, including the goat cult or whatever? The injokes never really go all the way away.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It's incredibly impressive to me that people from a defunct forum are actually still in touch and organised enough to remaster something like this. I tried TNM but couldn't get past the first level. The design is good but there's so many conversations that are terrible in the early game that I just checked out. I don't know what you're referencing!!!

Someday when I'm stronger I'll try again and get to the point where it's only gameplay and no more terrible jokes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basic Chunnel posted:

I also saw that it has something like 255 achievements, for doing basically everything in the game. I imagine the average person would get an achievement approx every 20 minutes, minimum. It was, however, due to these achievements that I learned the black guy at the top of the Statue of Liberty is named Leo Gold, which I don't remember learning during any of the 50 playthroughs I've done of that island

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

It's incredibly impressive to me that people from a defunct forum are actually still in touch and organised enough to remaster something like this. I tried TNM but couldn't get past the first level. The design is good but there's so many conversations that are terrible in the early game that I just checked out. I don't know what you're referencing!!!

Someday when I'm stronger I'll try again and get to the point where it's only gameplay and no more terrible jokes.

I dunno if this is a product of the re-mastering but they seem to have dialed this stuff down. For instance the ham sandwich line appears to be gone. I played the first 10 minutes and it was just a basic intro of the world, which is essentially the Matrix. When I played Deus Ex 1 for the first time I had no idea what half the game was referencing, was still fun.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

are you still getting a Dell

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I also saw that it has something like 255 achievements, for doing basically everything in the game. I imagine the average person would get an achievement approx every 20 minutes, minimum. It was, however, due to these achievements that I learned the black guy at the top of the Statue of Liberty is named Leo Gold, which I don't remember learning during any of the 50 playthroughs I've done of that island
Man. Shame it wasn't there when I played it.

And I understand how to get every single narrative achievement on the list.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I love Eidos' original level design but I do think that the revised levels make things like aggressive stealth a lot more interesting / workable, more akin to the prequels'. Also it's nice that all the overhauls are integrated into the game and you can switch through them in a menu toggle (vanilla / shifter / shifter + biomod / DXHR-style). Besides, it's just nice to play a version where you can't just lean on the same old replay tactics over and over.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It's Deus Ex The revision the best way to replay this for the first time in years?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s certainly A way. Depends on how much difference you’re good with.

Other nice things: You can select items to exclude from your inventory, in case you’re sick of throwing away crowbars every time you take down a skull cap thug. Also, pepper spray is as devastating as it is IRL, basically an AoE cattle prod. Spritz and play duck duck goose with a baton.

Also you can dedicate a hot key to make JC spout random mundane phrases. Will update the thread when I find out what that’s good for.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would say GMDX. The Revision messes with the level design too much for my tastes. I've been using this community update.

Whoa, I just found out about this other community update

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 18, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Revision's worth playing once since changing up all the levels breaks the tendency to do the same thing you did the last 20 times. I don't think it's necessarily better, but the difference was interesting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Revision's really only married to level changes, some of which are pretty extensive in terms of actual layout (UNATCO HQ, Hell's Kitchen) and most of which involve different enemy placements. As has been said, if you don't want to own every encounter with the same tactics that worked before, it's a nice change of pace. But in terms of gameplay / aug / skill balance changes, you can play it with any of the big mods, they're integrated into the game in fact.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Plus you can play a mode where every enemy is a mirror image of JC Denton and they are all suicide bombers

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

I love Eidos' original level design but I do think that the revised levels make things like aggressive stealth a lot more interesting / workable, more akin to the prequels'. Also it's nice that all the overhauls are integrated into the game and you can switch through them in a menu toggle (vanilla / shifter / shifter + biomod / DXHR-style). Besides, it's just nice to play a version where you can't just lean on the same old replay tactics over and over.

I think you mean Ion Storm Austin’s level design?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I quite love Revision and, have played Deus Ex for twenty years, Revision is almost exclusively how I play it nowadays. I’ve tried GMDX, but it’s not for me.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I think it’s funny that Ion Storm had Daikatana and Deus Ex in development at the same time

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Deuskatana

"I can't leave without my buddy Gunther Hermann!"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The recent RPS oral history makes it sound like the Daikatana team spent all their time partying rather than a making a game, while the Austin Deus Ex team was actually doing something.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

BBJoey posted:

The recent RPS oral history makes it sound like the Daikatana team spent all their time partying rather than a making a game, while the Austin Deus Ex team was actually doing something.
Sure, but that's common knowledge. People were saying this in, like, 2000.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Ion Storm Austin was a completely independently operating studio. Romero funded them, but left them alone otherwise. Daikatana is a real shame because Romero seems like a really awesome dude that made one bad game once and now it haunts him forever

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Daikatana is like Duke Nukem Forever and Half-Life 3, when you have an independent dev studio with a fuckload of money and past success and nobody to answer to they'll just spin their wheels until they have to push something out the door out of financial necessity. To a lesser extent it's the same lesson we learned from the first wave of high-profile kickstarter games and now the discourse about crunch in game development, that as much as devs love to complain about executive meddling and use them as a scapegoat for their game's shortcomings they are incapable of self-governing.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sleeveless posted:

Daikatana is like Duke Nukem Forever and Half-Life 3, when you have an independent dev studio with a fuckload of money and past success and nobody to answer to they'll just spin their wheels until they have to push something out the door out of financial necessity. To a lesser extent it's the same lesson we learned from the first wave of high-profile kickstarter games and now the discourse about crunch in game development, that as much as devs love to complain about executive meddling and use them as a scapegoat for their game's shortcomings they are incapable of self-governing.

Yeah I guess the key is "somebody to answer to" -- even if that somebody is someone in the process of failing because he himself has nobody to answer to. Ion Storm Austin fit all the things you said, except they had to answer to Romero

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Not exactly? The most recent oral history of deus ex makes it sound like they accidentally wound up with an extremely free hand from the publisher. It seems like the Austin boys just had a better internal culture.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/22/deus-ex-at-20-the-oral-history-of-a-pivotal-pc-game/

quote:

Smith: There were very few check-ins. Eidos was over in the UK. Those guys would fly in for an important quarterly check on how the money was being spent, and party so hard with the Ion Storm Dallas guys that they would inevitably email us and go, ‘We’re gonna make it down to Austin next time’. Therefore we were allowed to make our crazy, crazy game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BBJoey posted:

It was right at the peak of the dotcom bubble, so Romero decided to treat his programmers like rockstars, with a theatre and arcade and 17" monitors.

A dude posted:

Daikatana is a real shame because Romero seems like a really awesome dude that made one bad game once and now it haunts him forever

Nope, for the next 20 years he founded a series of lovely companies that poo poo out lovely games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gynovore posted:

Nope, for the next 20 years he founded a series of lovely companies that poo poo out lovely games.

There are people who still haven't gotten their SIGIL collector's edition over a year later, though I supposed it's not John Romero's fault that Limited Run Games is a lovely company.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Gynovore posted:

God drat it, are you gonna tell me that Santa isn't real now?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Gynovore posted:

That's the kind of talk you'd expect from someone who was made a bitch

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

quote:

Romero: We threw a big release party down in Austin, on the lake. We had the dev team out there and a bunch of people from Dallas. People took a picture of me in the water and that was up on Something Awful.

wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
who the gently caress from clinton era SA is still alive and not-permabanned