Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's a SUV owner, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Manager Hoyden posted:

Supposedly the only real life science tested way to get rid of hiccups is shoving something up your rear end. That is not a joke just delivering science news

Babe! It’s 4pm! Time for your hiccup cure!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Doing no tip will probably increase the time it takes to receive your food because most people “swipe left” on you until the app slowly increases the base pay to make it worth it.

So what you’re saying is that if I have the time, I should put zero and let the system pump in VC money, then tip in cash.

I’d be modern Robin Hood.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Platystemon posted:

Babe! It’s 4pm! Time for your hiccup cure!

I like your welcoming but approach, but also:

"No! No, no, don't come in! I just have hiccups!"

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Right okay how do you stop hiccups

I've tried: drinking water, drinking water from the opposite side of the glass, eating a spoonful of sugar, and distracting myself

This is a page or so back but...

Do you know how you can do that air-swallow thing and make yourself burp?

Well, what you do is that just as you think youre going to hiccup again and then force out the burp. You can also pre-empt it and do it. Yu want to get the swallow on the hiccup, then burp straight away.

May take a few tries but it will hit at the same time and the hiccups will stop.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It is my secret belief that drinking water with your head bent is 100% effective, and people who complain it doesn't work just do it wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jeza posted:

It is my secret belief that drinking water with your head bent is 100% effective, and people who complain it doesn't work just do it wrong.

:yeah:

I independently invented the technique as a child.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My partner can just pause and focus and tense some kind of abdominal muscle and just turn off hiccups. She'll hiccup two or three times and then just stop. She also cannot explain how she does it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

While my hiccups went away and I've been hiccup-free since, I really appreciate this thread rising to the occasion with hiccup cures, thank you all for solutions for this universal problem. :allears:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
why does seeing someone else yawn make you need to yawn yourself?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nighthand posted:

My partner can just pause and focus and tense some kind of abdominal muscle and just turn off hiccups. She'll hiccup two or three times and then just stop. She also cannot explain how she does it.

She can also start fires with her mind but she hasn't told you yet.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ulex minor posted:

why does seeing someone else yawn make you need to yawn yourself?

Mirror neurons

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

this is very fascinating!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jeza posted:

for me i dont need to have my head bent at all, simply drinking a full pint of water (in a normal posture) does the trick every time. seems to be the amount of water and just drinking it slowly that makes the most difference

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I always did a spoonful of peanut butter for hiccups

e: I mean eating it but I suppose the below is an option

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 16, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Manager Hoyden posted:

Supposedly the only real life science tested way to get rid of hiccups is shoving something up your rear end.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I always did a spoonful of peanut butter for hiccups

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

When I was a kid my uncle suggested I try this to get rid of hiccups, and what instead happened is I got a shot of water right into my nose and after I coughed fluid out of my mouth, nose and eyes for a few minutes, the hiccups were gone. After all this time, I'm finally ready to ask: is that supposed to happen? By which I mean, is the idea of telling someone to drink this that they will gently caress it up, and in the comical mess that follows the hiccups will be gone? Or is there some other way drinking from a cup like this can have any beneficial effect?

This is the same uncle who "taught" his kid to swim by throwing him off a boat, so possible I just have a lovely uncle.

gently caress, he also calls his mixed-ethnicity grandson the N-word.

gently caress he also exposed himself to me once as a kid when I was taking a bath, too.

gently caress.

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 17, 2020

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

When I was a kid my uncle suggested I try this to get rid of hiccups, and what instead happened is I got a shot of water right into my nose and after I coughed fluid out of my mouth, nose and eyes for a few minutes, the hiccups were gone. After all this time, I'm finally ready to ask: is that supposed to happen? By which I mean, is the idea of telling someone to drink this that they will gently caress it up, and in the comical mess that follows the hiccups will be gone? Or is there some other way drinking from a cup like this can have any beneficial effect?

I think the general idea is that it makes you engage your abdominal muscles and forces you to regulate your breathing, both of which are supposed to help.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Right okay how do you stop hiccups

I've tried: drinking water, drinking water from the opposite side of the glass, eating a spoonful of sugar, and distracting myself

Doesn't help when you are the hiccuper, but I have had an almost 100% success rate with telling people who have hiccups that I will give them 5 dollars if they can hiccup again. I've been doing it for about a decade. They can never do it. I don't know why it works but it does.

When I have hiccups I tell myself I can buy something specific that i want if I can hiccup again, but it only works about half the time. Probably because I already know whether or not I'm really gonna buy it. There's no challenge. But it still works more than it should.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 17, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

What the gently caress is going on with Youtube?

Why am I getting links to websites in my 'recommended' videos feed and why is it a picture of pickles?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moo the cow posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Youtube?

Why am I getting links to websites in my 'recommended' videos feed and why is it a picture of pickles?

Looks like an unmarked ad?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The Algorithm has simply determined that this is the kind of content you desire. The Algorithm has determined that you will desire this content. The Algorithm has provided you with this content, so that you may desire it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm thinking of a rectangular, flat, solid, slightly flimsy piece of sugary candy. It comes in fruity flavors but the one I know is usually a dark purple. My recollection is they market themselves as kinda healthy despite being full of sugar. What is it?

edit: it might be this thing

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I'm thinking of a rectangular, flat, solid, slightly flimsy piece of sugary candy. It comes in fruity flavors but the one I know is usually a dark purple. My recollection is they market themselves as kinda healthy despite being full of sugar. What is it?

edit: it might be this thing

Fruit leather?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I pulled a vent cover out of the ceiling today since it had a broken latch and I wanted to open it for airflow, and the inside ridge was full of rat poop. I have lived here for 3 years and never seen a mouse or rat. It looked ancient. Should I be concerned or should I hold off and wait to see if more evidence pops up, since it may very well have been sitting there for a decade for all I know.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is just a question of procedure, not politics, and I apologise and will remove the line of questioning if the discussion goes that way.

If Ruth Bader Ginsberg passes away sometime in the next month (knock on all wood she has many healthy years left in her), can the Republican party force through another nominee to the Supreme Court, or do the Democrats have enough numbers in the House(?) that they can stall until after the general election?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The house has no role in the confirmation of SCOTUS appointees. The confirmation would sail through.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I watched supergreatfriend's LP of The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker a while back, and one of the characters mentioned they worked at a church and they were a fully certified pallbearer.

What the hell is a fully certified pallbearer? Is it a UK thing?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a general smartphone/mobile photography thread? Skimming The Dorkroom, it looks like they're only about actual cameras.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Memento posted:

This is just a question of procedure, not politics, and I apologise and will remove the line of questioning if the discussion goes that way.

If Ruth Bader Ginsberg passes away sometime in the next month (knock on all wood she has many healthy years left in her), can the Republican party force through another nominee to the Supreme Court, or do the Democrats have enough numbers in the House(?) that they can stall until after the general election?

electoral-vote.com had a piece on this the other day.

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Jul15.html#item-2

Z at electoral-vote posted:

And since we get asked about this all the time (including multiple times on Tuesday), let us cut to the chase and talk about the timeline, should she vacate her seat on the Court for any reason. On numerous occasions in the past, mostly in the 19th and early 20th centuries, presidents sent SCOTUS nominations to the Senate in the morning and the justice was approved by the afternoon. That means there is no constitutional barrier to a very rapid confirmation. And you can bet that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) would move heaven and earth to ram a justice through, even if he had only a day (or a few hours) left to do it.

Click through for the full breakdown.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for the replies and the link.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Desperately trying to find a tweet from last year that had what I think was a screenshot of Tumblr and a description of irony levels or online posting brain.

Uh my question is how the hell would I narrow this down or find the specific thing I'm looking for. I recall one of the levels was laughing at 9/11 jokes.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I found it by image searching 'levels of irony poisoning'.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wow, all these years and i'm only sitting at a 3.5 on that scale.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Leavemywife posted:

I watched supergreatfriend's LP of The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker a while back, and one of the characters mentioned they worked at a church and they were a fully certified pallbearer.

If a certification exists, it's probably just part and parcel of training under a funeral director. It's not uncommon in the UK for coffins to be carried by professionals rather than family. Like the Ghana meme, but with less dancing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Jeza posted:

If a certification exists, it's probably just part and parcel of training under a funeral director. It's not uncommon in the UK for coffins to be carried by professionals rather than family. Like the Ghana meme, but with less dancing.

I thought maybe it had to do with something like if they needed a fill-in to carry the casket, but it just seemed like a weird thing to be certified in. I was kind of wondering if a pallbearer did something different in the UK, but it doesn't seem like it.

Thank you!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe it was a joke? Offering certification in stuff that doesn't need any certification has been a scam industry forever, and paying for one is usually a sign of someone having a lot of undeserved self-importance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a general smartphone/mobile photography thread? Skimming The Dorkroom, it looks like they're only about actual cameras.

There's this one but there hasn't been a post in 8 months
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225491&pagenumber=1

If you have specific questions maybe try the cellphone/gadget forum?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Maybe it was a joke? Offering certification in stuff that doesn't need any certification has been a scam industry forever, and paying for one is usually a sign of someone having a lot of undeserved self-importance.

certainly true for lots of fields and subjects but im having a hard time imagining someone deriving much puffed up self-importance from being a certified pallbearer of all things

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FCKGW posted:

There's this one but there hasn't been a post in 8 months
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225491&pagenumber=1

If you have specific questions maybe try the cellphone/gadget forum?

I just want to post pics that aren't cats or dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mister Facetious posted:

I just want to post pics that aren't cats or dogs

Try Photo a day?