Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
May and Yoyo are great together. I'm glad the final season is exploring some new relationships - Mack and Deke, May and YoYo, Deke and Enoch- and having fun with it.

I like that Nathaniel is the big bad tbh. We had a season of Whitehall afterall, and Nathaniel is far more unstable and chaotic. A spoilt little rich brat with incredible power loving up everything....hmmmm topical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's not even the big bad. He's a flunky for the chronicrom seer who is the big bad.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I love that this show made the two most emotionally repressed characters do therapy together. gently caress I'm going to miss AoS once it ends.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Punch-therapy is the most May thing ever. Didnt she do something similar with Daisy back in the day?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Argue posted:

Can't believe they pulled off an episode whose resolution was "run faster yoyo"

I dunno, I thought it fell pretty flat. The whole "it's all in your head!" thing was fine, but then "oh, I just don't have to return, I'm better now! thing felt awfully dumb. She's The Flash now. Cool.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
We can't call her YoYo anymore. Maybe Dash? I dunno.

Nathanial's either gonna give powers to his henchmen, or give all of them to himself.

I'm thinking the former, but I'm hoping the latter, since we might actually get an Aida fight but he doesn't just keep teleporting and not using all his powers.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ApeHawk posted:

We can't call her YoYo anymore. Maybe Dash? I dunno.

Nathanial's either gonna give powers to his henchmen, or give all of them to himself.

I'm thinking the former, but I'm hoping the latter, since we might actually get an Aida fight but he doesn't just keep teleporting and not using all his powers.

Yo.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I'm looking forward to Daisy beating the hell out of Nathaniel, while not having her powers.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

I dunno, I thought it fell pretty flat. The whole "it's all in your head!" thing was fine, but then "oh, I just don't have to return, I'm better now! thing felt awfully dumb. She's The Flash now. Cool.

Ehhh I liked it. Inhuman Daisy has gone from shaking poo poo about to world destroying power. Noone else has come close to her power creep so it's a pleasant surprise to see YoYo get an upgrade. She's still limited by her heartbeat, but she can do more in that time because she doesn't need to come back as well. Ricochet? Zigzag?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Was that the same cross which the agents used to play a fatal game of hot potato? I don't actually remember the exact circumstances, but there was a vision where the one who had it would die in a space shuttle and it kept switching hands.
That thing was cursed!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was that the same cross which the agents used to play a fatal game of hot potato? I don't actually remember the exact circumstances, but there was a vision where the one who had it would die in a space shuttle and it kept switching hands.
That thing was cursed!

Yeah, it originated with Elena and was one of the first things you saw her have (after woosh woosh of course).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

That thing was cursed!

The exact circumstances are the best bit! Daisy gets a vision from the death-vision guy of somebody floating in space with Elena's crucifix and a SHIELD hoodie.

Elena gives the cross to Mack. Mack tries to return it, Elena scolds him and makes him hold onto it.

Mack leaves it in a hoodie, I think Simmons then finds it.

Next episode, the team all roll out in matching SHIELD hoodies.

It's like the LMD episode - they take a dumb cliche (oooh somebody's a robot!) and just loving run with it so hard it loops back around to being awesome.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuRRhtGQw&t=17s

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
May had a lot of great one-liners in this episode.

It was nice seeing the inhumans again and realising Daisy’s mum isn’t a total monster. It’s a shame they pretty much discontinued the inhumans, but their own tv series was just awful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Anson Mount was the best part of Inhumans, and he had zero lines.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just realized Inhumans is on Disney+. I heard its bad, but is it worth watching even once? I kind of want to because I love the world and source material even realizing its gonna be bad. But if its super waste of time bad I will forego.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s worse than bad, it’s boring.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I think I only made it three episodes in as it was airing. The only entertaining thing about it was watching the writers set up increasingly convoluted ways for these super-powered characters to lose their powers all in the name of coming in under budget each episode.

Also, their king is mute, so obviously their futuristic moon communicators are limited to verbal transmissions. :ughh:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the real superpower the inhumans on inhumans had was being really really really dumb

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The inhumans crosses the so bad it's great threshold for me.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
The moment it became clear that most of that show was gonna take place on Hawaii is when I knew for sure they had no idea what they were doing.

It's the only MCU (ish) show I haven't enjoyed. Hey, I'm the guy who likes both seasons of Iron Fist - they should've been able to make me like The Inhumans.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Still can't believe they released the first two episodes to IMAX.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Still can't believe they released the first two episodes to IMAX.

It was so odd. They filmed the whole thing in IMAX, showed the two episodes in IMAX but it looked like any other network show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They really thought Inhumans was going to be big. I think they thought they'd have a Game of Thrones on their hands.

Hawaii looks really great in it, but that only lends credence that the show was partially funded by the Hawaiin Tourist Council or something. But yea, it was so boring, and I think it was a bit tone deaf. They literally made Inhuman Society be a terrible caste system, with the Royals at the top, and anyone who didn't have powers literally stuck in the mines. Or if your power was useful to mining you got to toil down there too. It was shown to be incredibly random, your place in society was going to be dictated by the random roll of the dice based on Terrigen. Why should we root for these people? Even Game of Thrones made an effort to show the Starks while still feudal warlords, were just and had their peoples well being at heart. There was none of that in Inhumans.

Also they made Maximus such an evil Bastard that trying to make you feel sorry for him was just wasted effort. Oh look Black Bolt is sad he's sealing his brother away after he literally destroyed their home out of petty spite.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Inhumans spoiler Karnak The Shatterer, He Who Can See the Flaws in All Things get conked on the head, loses his powers and gets amnesia, winds up helping out at a pot farm, gets laid, and fights the Tuco Salamanca of pot farmers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sesq posted:

Inhumans spoiler Karnak The Shatterer, He Who Can See the Flaws in All Things get conked on the head, loses his powers and gets amnesia, winds up helping out at a pot farm, gets laid, and fights the Tuco Salamanca of pot farmers.

If this was the entire show I would be totally in...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sesq posted:

He also falls down a cliff in the first episode, which seems like the ideal thing his powers would let him avoid.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lockjaw is asleep because we can't afford the CGI budget for him this episode!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Lockjaw is asleep because we can't afford the CGI budget for him this episode!

Followed by attack of the evil vet!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Gorgon walking into the sea and nearly drowning was my personal high/lowlight.

FORS-HOOF! :argh:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Medusa getting a buzzcut in like the first five minutes was some next level bullshit.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Sirotan posted:

Also holy lol, I just switched back to the ep of Law & Order I had on before AoS aired and look who's in it

:3:

Every time I see him in West Wing, it's basically Coulson doing deep cover as an FBI agent. His speech patterns are basically the same.

quote:

I think you mean Quicksilver, and since he died, there is room!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LorneReams posted:

Every time I see him in West Wing, it's basically Coulson doing deep cover as an FBI agent. His speech patterns are basically the same.

This is my working theory as well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

swickles posted:

This is my working theory as well.

This would mean that Jimmy Smitts is president during Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk and I'm okay with that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The pipe bombs were actually alien technology. That's the real reason so many died. You can see Coulson coming up with the lie on the fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yynbN7W3LWc

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

It's more the realization that she doesn't have to 'return/rebound' from every bad thing and mistake back into the same state she was.
Realizing that it's fine to move past the terrible things that happen and heal, and grow, instead of -having- to return to how she was before it all happened.

She was stacking up on regrets in a terrible and unhealthy way, obsessing over them which hit the tipping point after the Shrike. Both internally and externally she viewed/was viewed as someone who always bounced back.
Just obsessing about returning to who you used to be, instead of working through the issues isn't a great way to deal with psychological issues.
Especially when your backstory gets a super blatant 'your fears and regrets cemeted how you ended up approaching your powers' thing crowbarred in with the necklace scene.

It felt like there was a lot more to it (especially since this is the first time her powers have worked since... last season?) than the normal flash:
'Faster? I can't go faster.' 'You don't just have to go faster, you have to go very fast.' 'I am now going very fast!!!'
Unless you're purely referring to her power set, which sure, yeah.

I did like the 'Oh poo poo yeah, this is a prosthetic' scene.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SubNat posted:

It's more the realization that she doesn't have to 'return/rebound' from every bad thing and mistake back into the same state she was.
Realizing that it's fine to move past the terrible things that happen and heal, and grow, instead of -having- to return to how she was before it all happened.

She was stacking up on regrets in a terrible and unhealthy way, obsessing over them which hit the tipping point after the Shrike. Both internally and externally she viewed/was viewed as someone who always bounced back.
Just obsessing about returning to who you used to be, instead of working through the issues isn't a great way to deal with psychological issues.
Especially when your backstory gets a super blatant 'your fears and regrets cemeted how you ended up approaching your powers' thing crowbarred in with the necklace scene.

It felt like there was a lot more to it (especially since this is the first time her powers have worked since... last season?) than the normal flash:
'Faster? I can't go faster.' 'You don't just have to go faster, you have to go very fast.' 'I am now going very fast!!!'
Unless you're purely referring to her power set, which sure, yeah.

Yeah that and her realizing that the problem was 'Oh poo poo, I'm using them wrong- Oh I might've been doing this wrong for a long time actually' was really neat to me. Her and May going to therapy was so good, this is such a good season.

Now I'm worried, what the hell am I gonna watch when this is over though?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slamhound posted:

Medusa getting a buzzcut in like the first five minutes was some next level bullshit.

I liked as Maximus's guys where shaving her head she's going "I'll never forgive you for this". Yea I don't think he cares. Also they were using some off the shelf clippers for it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"This is a Diviner. To a regular human, it—"

*grab*

"...okay then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

"This is a Diviner. To a regular human, it—"

*grab*

"...okay then."

Yeah, I like how he was all ready to monologue and she just yanked it.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah that and her realizing that the problem was 'Oh poo poo, I'm using them wrong- Oh I might've been doing this wrong for a long time actually' was really neat to me. Her and May going to therapy was so good, this is such a good season.

Now I'm worried, what the hell am I gonna watch when this is over though?

I liked it too, and it also makes sense given how at the end of season 6 when she shot all the Shrike zombies she even said "I don't have to move to go fast". Its a natural development of her powers.