Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jesus is pronounced gay rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/15/a-characterful-celebration/

That night lords set is a must buy for me. And Wraight's crime novel too!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Good gently caress that's wrong. Extra wrong. I never understood WTF people were talking about with their "gee ess" spells when playing D&D until I finally read all the magic rules and was like... "that's a 'geas' lads"... It's pronounced with a hard g like "goose" followed by "yas".

Code Geass ruined a whole generation of nerd pronunciation.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Lasgun: pronounced laz-gun, or lays-gun?

it's laz

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Code Geass ruined a whole generation of nerd pronunciation.

But the dub and the sub use gay-rear end, which is closer than geese or jee-rear end.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I finished Requiem Infernal last night. A++ warhams. Now I want a Void Breachers scion army.

Found dark coil reading order in an interview with Fehervari, figured someone else might also be interested in it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Interesting, I'd heard to read Requiem Infernal last because that's where it all comes together. There's a spoilery chart out there showing the various tie ins. I read fire caste years ago and liked it, and I picked up Requiem in a bundle a few weeks ago. I grabbed and read Sanctuary of Wyrms last night on a whim. Good stuff.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 17, 2020

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

He will never reveal his OG name, it would give Gods and even lesser beings power over him.

Propsero Burns has a whole theme and plot point about knowing someone's 'real' name being like having a leash on them.

From earlier in the thread, but didn't this come up in one of the HH books when Magnus is a shadow of his former self and pontificating on the secrets of the universe? I'm sure he says something off-hand about knowing the Emperor's true name and that it would surprise you. I think he was talking to Lorgar?

I remember thinking "uh, isn't that a massive, game changing potential weapon being dropped in conversation?"

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's in the White Scars book, I just read it. When Jagatai goes to Prospero to decide what side to join.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Anybody get through Indomitus by Gav Thorpe yet? Is it worth picking up?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/15/a-characterful-celebration/

That night lords set is a must buy for me. And Wraight's crime novel too!

I am so fukking :stoked: for the Crime books.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Weird, Guy Haley's Dark Imperium book is no longer on kindle/Amazon for me, aside from overpriced used copies. It was there before, I wonder if they took it down by mistake when the boxed game set went OOP.

It's still on black library but it's on the middle of page 2 if you search for it by name.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody get through Indomitus by Gav Thorpe yet? Is it worth picking up?

Just a pre-order. Not out until next Saturday.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

bagrada posted:

Weird, Guy Haley's Dark Imperium book is no longer on kindle/Amazon for me, aside from overpriced used copies. It was there before, I wonder if they took it down by mistake when the boxed game set went OOP.

It's still on black library but it's on the middle of page 2 if you search for it by name.

IIRC they took down Dark Imperium/Plague Wars etc due to the coronavirus connotations.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

ed balls balls man posted:

IIRC they took down Dark Imperium/Plague Wars etc due to the coronavirus connotations.

That's mental, have you got a source for that?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Huh I guess you're right (edit: I meant that Plague War isn't available on amazon anymore either). I'll either grab them from Black Library directly or wait for an omnibus in a year or ten.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 17, 2020

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I just realized they're doing Indomitus books so they can push back revealing how Guilliman reacts to lectitio divinitatus.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Saturnine should be here for me next Tuesday, looking forward to it and seeing why people seem so angsty over it. Incidentally, I noticed the new version of Daemonifuge seems to have vanished from B&N's site entirely. Anyone know what's up with Daemonifuge?

Guyver posted:

I just realized they're doing Indomitus books so they can push back revealing how Guilliman reacts to lectitio divinitatus.

Ideal scenario: He realizes how important his dad is to the average Joe as a symbol of hope and leverages that while still remaining sensible.

Nightmare (40k) scenario: Joel Osteen except it's Guilliman.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

a lovely king posted:

That's mental, have you got a source for that?

Nah just reading between the lines of Guy Haley's Twitter replies back in mid-March.

I just scrolled back to some in May and he's hinting the third is coming fairly soon and maybe an update to the other two. Maybe a short story to help tie it together with Indomidus?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Marneus Calgar is now 6 inches taller in Dark Imperium Enhanced Edition

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/1284053177617330176?s=20

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/1284053226938040320?s=20

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/1284061192701583360?s=20

:getin:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What book is he talking about?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Galvanik posted:

He's due for a Black Legion book, which fits the subject matter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Galvanik posted:

A book about chaos metaphysics, obviously.

Liber Chaotic volume 2: tzeenchian Boogaloo

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Either of those sounds good.

And, Barnes and Noble claims that the cheap physical paperback version of Saturnine comes out tomorrow. Good news to wake up to.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Guyver posted:

You remember that scene in Futurama where Dr. Farnsworth goes to the angry dome?

https://youtu.be/qNe28SM8m1Y

It's this only longer and with more skulls.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ADB is confirmed to be writing the 3rd black legion book

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

ADB is confirmed to be writing the 3rd black legion book

Plus he already finished the Emperor's Spears sequel and has his Siege of Terra book that he may be underway with, but he'd no doubt be exterminatus'd if he breathed a word about that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A couple chapters into First Wall and it's decent so far.

I just scrolled back to some in May and he's hinting the third is coming fairly soon and maybe an update to the other two. Maybe a short story to help tie it together with Indomidus?
Oh, if there's a third coming then I'm wrong and pleasantly surprised.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Didn't Alpharius supposedly die twice? Once at the hands of Yellow Stickuphisarse Primarch and once at the hands of Blue Stickuphisarse Primarch?

Enuncia is perhaps my least favourite part of the Eisenhorn books.

40k is a massive universe with dozens of potential sources of godlike powers, each with rich lore and plenty of connections to the rest of the universe, any one of which could have been a perfectly suitable MacGuffin for the Cognitae to chase. Instead, Abnett just throws out this crazy powerful universal magic that was supposedly around the whole time even though there was never a single hint about its existence until the late 41st millennium.

It's like the dumb-rear end Perpetuals, perhaps my least favourite part of the entire setting. Oh, hey, some random humans are just randomly super-ultra-duper-immortal to the point of reforming after disintegration and there's no explanation at all, no connection to the Warp or the C'tan or any other part of the setting.

It might have been fine if they were just some footnote hinting at a larger mystery to be explored in the future, but no, there's at least three of them playing critical roles in the Heresy. It's like Tom Bombadil in LOTR, if Tom had decided to follow Frodo and Sam all the way to the Cracks of Doom.

It’s a kind of thing you’d expect from comic books which makes sense i guess from Abnett

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I started picking up 2000AD stuff because the UK reprints of US comics I normally get are not happening what with things being as they are. Abnett is in basically every single issue at least once.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I actually liked the Perpetuals, they felt like they fit with 30K being this era of mythical gods and monsters that is only half remembered as legend in 40K. In that context it makes sense that the Emperor isn't actually a complete one off anomaly in a world of otherwise normal humans, that there are other individuals comparable to him if not as prominent. And I'm fine with Enuncia as it is, there's plenty of weird sorcery stuff explained as warp-stuff in 40K, I don't need a character to tell the reader "it's the language of the Old Ones" to make it fit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That and since it takes the 40K equivalent of mining bitcoin to produce a single syllable of Enuncia I can see how it's not something more known about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“It’s a chaos gateway drug” also makes sense

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Any word on the next vaults of terra book? I'm fiending for more Crowl and Spinoza. Also, some speculation on a possible plot element I'm thinking the thing they sent to the dark eldar was Navradaran the Custodes

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arquinsiel posted:

I started picking up 2000AD stuff because the UK reprints of US comics I normally get are not happening what with things being as they are. Abnett is in basically every single issue at least once.
The man's bibliography has its own article on Wikipedia. He's…prolific.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 19, 2020

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He did the best cosmic Marvel stuff too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MariusLecter posted:

That and since it takes the 40K equivalent of mining bitcoin to produce a single syllable of Enuncia I can see how it's not something more known about.

Enuncia and the... what were they called, fleets ? The chaos-infused bits of broken glass used like drugs... those are really solid ideas and help explain why the Ravenor series is as good as it is.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Enuncia and the... what were they called, fleets ? The chaos-infused bits of broken glass used like drugs... those are really solid ideas and help explain why the Ravenor series is as good as it is.

Flects, and yeah they were cool in the sense that they were a mundane medium transformed to contain supernatural essences. Of course everyone used em to get high, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Flects sorta appear in Requiem Infernal, or at least something very similar