Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Does anyone know of any hack and slash diablo-esque games that have a dystopian future and/or cyberpunk esthetic?

I've tried Transistor and it's not really what I'm looking for. I want a hack and slash looter, not necessarily a roguelike/roguelite (although I'm definitely not opposed to those either) that captures the feeling of smashing things to bits Diablo 3 has, but with a cyberpunk skin.

I've googled it, but it's really hard to narrow things down in the broad genre that is "cyberpunk". Anybody know of anything? Early access stuff is A-ok :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

forkbucket posted:

Does anyone know of any hack and slash diablo-esque games that have a dystopian future and/or cyberpunk esthetic?

I've tried Transistor and it's not really what I'm looking for. I want a hack and slash looter, not necessarily a roguelike/roguelite (although I'm definitely not opposed to those either) that captures the feeling of smashing things to bits Diablo 3 has, but with a cyberpunk skin.

I've googled it, but it's really hard to narrow things down in the broad genre that is "cyberpunk". Anybody know of anything? Early access stuff is A-ok :)

Neon Chrome if you're not opposed to roguelites
Jydge if you'd rather have something mission-based

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

What's missing? What deckbuilders or similar thinky card things SHOULD be on there?

e: Added System Crash, I love that single-player TCG. So there's +1.

Griftlands

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

forkbucket posted:

Seconding Neon Chrome, it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's very good

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

What's missing? What deckbuilders or similar thinky card things SHOULD be on there?

System Cra- oh.

Haven't played Monster Train but it's looking real good

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

forkbucket posted:

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor is about as dystopian future as you can get, but not in the cyberpunk vein you seem to be looking for.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'll check those out.

EDIT: Looks like the game gods heard me, and there's a cyberpunk action rpg slated for release in 2020 called The Ascent! Gonna keep my eye on that, hopefully that'll fall squarely in "Diablo, but cyberpunk" territory. :v:

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 12, 2020

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

I played Ascension (the free iPhone game, at least) for a while and really enjoyed it. It's like a fantasy Star Realms with more expansion content.

There's also Splendor where you play as a merchant and you acquire jewels and mines and stuff to expand your trade empire. I've played a game or two of the physical version and found it fun, but I'm not very interested in the theme personally so I never stuck with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

looking for a really good pick up/put down game. something somewhat challenging but not super punishing when i wanna just game for like 30 minutes and am filled with temporary, impulsive energy. steam preferred, consoles a no go

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 14, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for a really good pick up/put down game. something somewhat challenging but not super punishing when i wanna just game for like 30 minutes and am filled with temporary, impulsive energy. steam preferred, consoles a no go

My personal reccs that I use or have used for the exact same purpose:

Enter the Gungeon (top down roguelike dungeon crawler shooter)

Dead Cells (fast paced sidescrolling soulslike)

FTL (its FTL)

Into the Breach (Bite sized mech vs kaiju turn based strategy)

Heat Signature (top down "shooter" focused on boarding and hijacking spaceships. Hard to describe, but it's good)

Hades (roguelike action hack and slash with meta progression. Great writing, voice acting, and art, a truly beautiful game)

Rocket League (rocket car soccer)

Helldivers (top down starship troopers type game, each mission contributes to an online war effort. May be dead now.)

Slay the Spire (deck builder dungeon crawler, collect cards to customize your deck as you go)

Gunfire Reborn (procedurally generated roguelite fps with borderlands style weapons. Early access)

Eldritch (first person exploration/shooter/horror thing based on hp lovecraft)

Payday 2 (online mp heist fps)

Vermintide 2 (think left4dead but its warhammer and melee focused)

You'll notice a lot of roguelike style things. They lend themselves very well to this niche.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 14, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

EDF 5, you want EDF

Noita is also very good in short bursts (or long)

some other quick games I liked:

Dicey Dungeons

One Way Heroics

Streets of Rogue

Griftlands

THE GREAT GEOMETRIC MULTIVERSE TOUR

Death Road to Canada

Hand of Fate 1/2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ninjewtsu posted:

STREETS OF RAGE 4!!!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE 4!!!!

Extremely correct answer.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Cook, serve, delicious 1 or 3

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Streets of Rogue

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Any games where you are a wizard building your wizard tower and amassing ultimate spellpower? Base building elements are necessary for the mood we're in. Minions are cool too.
Will also accept board game suggestions if you know of any. It seems like the perfect theme for an engine-builder style board game. (not Mage Knight. want more base building than deck building)

Caveats: We don't want combat systems where spells are essentially just a replacement for physical weapons. The spells need to be *cool*. It kind of defeats the point of struggling to become an all-powerful wizard if every single action is just push butan, dmg = XXX

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
A few years back I played several yume nikki-like adventure games, like Ib, mad father, witch's house, and (substantially different) OneShot. Was just thinking about those games again and wondering if there've been any new and interesting games in that genre released recently.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Angels of Death is more than a little similar to Mad Father. It's worth checking out.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the game that's half visual novel and half NBA jam with abilities? You're all banished to shitland and once you beat a season someone gets to return

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the game that's half visual novel and half NBA jam with abilities? You're all banished to shitland and once you beat a season someone gets to return

Pyre

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

:psyboom:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

smug n stuff posted:

A few years back I played several yume nikki-like adventure games, like Ib, mad father, witch's house, and (substantially different) OneShot. Was just thinking about those games again and wondering if there've been any new and interesting games in that genre released recently.

Leaning more into surrealism/dreamlike than horror: Middens, Hylics 1&2, OFF, Space Funeral, Goblet Grotto

Lisa, maybe?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tagra posted:

Any games where you are a wizard building your wizard tower and amassing ultimate spellpower? Base building elements are necessary for the mood we're in. Minions are cool too.
Will also accept board game suggestions if you know of any. It seems like the perfect theme for an engine-builder style board game. (not Mage Knight. want more base building than deck building)

Caveats: We don't want combat systems where spells are essentially just a replacement for physical weapons. The spells need to be *cool*. It kind of defeats the point of struggling to become an all-powerful wizard if every single action is just push butan, dmg = XXX

I've been looking for this for a while as well, and so far the only thing I'm keeping my eye on is Spire of Sorcery, which is not even Early Access yet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I really liked the concept of Autonauts but the game itself was a little empty and twee for me. Are there any other programming-based management games out there?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm looking for a game to play for short periods that's light-hearted, has at least some sense of progression and can be exited at any time without losing progress, tabbing through cutscenes, etc.

Reason is that I'm taking an intensive course this month and after intense concentration for a full day there's not much focus left for other things.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

lol the best part is it's really a word perfect summation of the game

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Manager Hoyden posted:

I really liked the concept of Autonauts but the game itself was a little empty and twee for me. Are there any other programming-based management games out there?

You can ask in the Management Megathread

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm looking for a game to play for short periods that's light-hearted, has at least some sense of progression and can be exited at any time without losing progress, tabbing through cutscenes, etc.

Reason is that I'm taking an intensive course this month and after intense concentration for a full day there's not much focus left for other things.

Mudrunners/Snowrunners

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hades

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slay the Spyre
Any of the 10tons top down shooters, but especially Tesla vs Lovecraft

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ninjewtsu posted:

One Finger Death Punch (2)

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Dicey Dungeons is perfect for this. Monster Train and Slay the Spire could also fit the bill.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ecavalli posted:

Mudrunners/Snowrunners

Ooooo yeah. I don't have that, but I do have Eurotruck Simulator 2 kickin around and it should do just as well.

Loved Bastion and enjoyed Transistor, so I'll definitely check out Hades at some point.

Thanks for the other suggestions. Deckbuilding systems aren't my thing unfortunately. I can see whats cool about em, but for me the tactical part is more interesting than putting decks together so I end up skipping or half-assing the one part so I can get to the part I like best.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 16, 2020

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

My family's big nightly entertainment here in the plague times has been watching me play through Breath of the Wild.

It's turned out to be pretty much the perfect game for us.

The kids can get really into the combat portions, but if I need to get them calm before bed I can do something "boring" like talking to villagers or cooking food. When we have only a little time to play, I can pick a short goal like exploring a single shrine, and call it a night. Everyone can try to be a sharp-eyed scout to identify a distant shrine, Korok spot, rare lizard, or whatever.

But we're approaching the end of the game, and I'm trying to figure out where we go from here - I can probably only milk the open world for so long, since the kids are also pretty goal-oriented. What other game will scratch the same itch?

Super Marion Odyssey would have been a good choice if the kids hadn't already played it. Maybe Horizon Zero Dawn, just for the broad gameplay similarities? An older Zelda game, since they're into the world now?

Help me, goons!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Razor Jacksuit posted:

My family's big nightly entertainment here in the plague times has been watching me play through Breath of the Wild.

The kids can get really into the combat portions, but if I need to get them calm before bed I can do something "boring" like talking to villagers or cooking food. When we have only a little time to play, I can pick a short goal like exploring a single shrine, and call it a night. Everyone can try to be a sharp-eyed scout to identify a distant shrine, Korok spot, rare lizard, or whatever.

But we're approaching the end of the game, and I'm trying to figure out where we go from here - I can probably only milk the open world for so long, since the kids are also pretty goal-oriented. What other game will scratch the same itch?

Super Marion Odyssey would have been a good choice if the kids hadn't already played it. Maybe Horizon Zero Dawn, just for the broad gameplay similarities? An older Zelda game, since they're into the world now?

Help me, goons!
Wind Waker in particular could be good, the graphics will be a hit with kids and the gameplay is perfect for bite-sized chunks of small islands with one-room dungeons/areas/etc and when you want them to go to bed you can go sailing and deliver mail.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Help me, goons!

It's combat focused, but Monster Hunter World can work in small doses. A single hunt for more exciting moments, a collection or delivery quest for quieter times. The world is relentlessly charming, despite the monster killing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Afriscipio posted:

The world is relentlessly charming, despite the monster killing.

The canteen scenes :swoon:

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Help me, goons!

My kids have enjoyed watching me play the latest Pokémon game (“oh catch that one!” etc). I don’t know if you want to open that giant can of worms though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok, so my wife has only ever liked to play a handful of video games in her life, but was watching me play Grim Dawn and out of the blue said 'find me a game like Fable 2'. So I guess what I'm looking for is something sort of like Fable 2.

Some extra info:
She is not a good gamer, so if anything is too difficult or technical she will lose interest fast. An easy mode is basically a must.
She does not like lots of violence and/or gore. She commented that Grim Dawn was too much, but obviously didn't have a hard time with Fable 2 (so like, superhero violence or beating up robots or something is probably fine).
The game would preferably be for the Switch or PS4 (or cell phone.. if somehow there is a fun fable 2 like game on that).
Games she has liked in the past: dominoes on her phone. Plants vs Zombies. Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Fable 2.
Game I already have which may work: Zelda Breath of the Wild (might be a little too difficult for her? I remember Fable 2 being incredibly easy).
She really liked the magic in Fable 2 so casting magic spells to blow up bad guys would be a big bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Okami HD is on Switch