Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

someone made a mistake and thought one of my gunpla builds was a good example for the wikipedia page

frown

i'm pretty happy about this for reals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

...gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crusader posted:

someone made a mistake and thought one of my gunpla builds was a good example for the wikipedia page

frown

:yosnice:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azubah posted:

They require painting if that's something that concerns you, I know I'm not ready for that type of investment yet.

Could be worse,

https://www.gundamplanet.com/structure-arts-1-72-plastic-model-kit-series-vol-1.html#&gid=1&pid=13

At 1/72 they're going to be pretty beefy too.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Crusader posted:

frown

Guys, Gals, and Non-binary Pals, may I present to you: Meijin Kawaguchi IV

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wanzers are supposed to be what, 6 meters? so i think 1/72 would make them about real grade size (though of course they're a lot wider and heftier than most gundams)

and i think with the paint schemes they show for 'unpainted' you could get away with some panel lining and highlights. they arent completely white or anything.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 14, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azubah posted:

They require painting if that's something that concerns you, I know I'm not ready for that type of investment yet.

Just slap some dark grey primer on (black for the under-armour stuff) and call it a day. That's the joy of real robots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

wanzers are supposed to be what, 6 meters? so i think 1/72 would make them about real grade size (though of course they're a lot wider and heftier than most gundams)

Six meters is about a third the size of an average Gundam, and shorter than an average Armslave. Since a 1/60 Armslave is about the same height as a 1/144 HG, it's safe to say these are going to be pretty small in comparison. I'd say the HG Loto is probably the best reference point.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Crusader posted:

Null of Undefined posted:

Guys, Gals, and Non-binary Pals, may I present to you: Meijin Kawaguchi IV

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

and i think with the paint schemes they show for 'unpainted' you could get away with some panel lining and highlights. they arent completely white or anything.

Most of the wanzers are one color anyway save for a few markings that I'm sure are decals in the kits

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zeether posted:

Most of the wanzers are one color anyway save for a few markings that I'm sure are decals in the kits

I picked up a set of Red Army Air Force paints for an IL-2 that says 3-color cammo all the fuckin' way.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh my god my time has come

Also guess what showed up today

I’m so excited

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Taintrunner posted:

I’m so excited

Just checked my Local Gunpla Store and they had that in too, and I've been wanting a Grandpa Gundam for a while (The two master grades, 2.0 and 3.0 are hard to find and even then I have trouble deciding. I kind of like the more detailed look of 3.0, but then I see its large, grabby hands), so I went for this one.

It's going to be an interesting build, seeing as it is my first HG in a very long time and I have been cutting my teeth on RGs and MGs. At least I will get a nice looking model at the end though!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Unlucky7 posted:

...The two seven master grades...

ftfy

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I’m so excited

Mines has finally shipped so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. It just seemed really nice, and I'm using it as another excuse to stall with my RGs.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

I’m so excited

Oh hey, my first kit, the Revive Granddad is arriving sometime today.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm going to be working on the MG Wing Proto Zero this week, and I plan to give it a fully custom paint job. I'm partial to a somewhat dark green as part of it but I'm looking for suggestions because every color palette I've found on the Internet wants me to pattern green with loving rose and orange.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Maybe steal the Fenice colors?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Vorenus posted:

I'm going to be working on the MG Wing Proto Zero this week, and I plan to give it a fully custom paint job. I'm partial to a somewhat dark green as part of it but I'm looking for suggestions because every color palette I've found on the Internet wants me to pattern green with loving rose and orange.

I was originally into Games Workshop Miniatures, but looking at the Space Marine Color sets would be a good place to look at palettes. If you're thinking Green I loved my Dark Angels army, its all hunter green and dark heavy metallic tones with black and gold highlights.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Vorenus posted:

I think a matte green and brown tank-style color scheme would be pretty cool.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for the ideas! I'm very partial to the Dark Angels look, but I am tempted to try the tank-style camo especially since I have Vallejo's Panzer Aces set. My main concern is that doing it well is probably beyond my airbrushing skills. The Fenice isn't bad, but I'm weird in that I find the opposite colors jarring rather than complementary.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Well..

...poo poo.

At least I'll be keeping busy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Loto's are a sweet little two-pack set, I love that kit :allears:.

Pro-tip; When you get to assembling the shoulders, you should sand/file/snip down the ridges inside the shoulder piece that lock the arms in place depending on whether it's in robot or vehicle mode. They'll never let the ball joint go otherwise.

Also I demand you build whatever you have planned for those 30MM kits first so the thread can judge them appropriately. :goonsay:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

It's my friend's birthday so I gifted her the curse of the MG Qubeley

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone know what the shoulder jets/pads are from on this Cielnova:

https://twitter.com/ICHI86026918/status/1283789216829206529

It actually looks way better bulked up like that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone know what the shoulder jets/pads are from on this Cielnova:

https://twitter.com/ICHI86026918/status/1283789216829206529

It actually looks way better bulked up like that.

The Cielnova optional armor set for officers.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So it was my birthday at the end of last month and my mum asked do you want some of those robots you love so much.

I of course said yes and told her to buy whichever one's she thought looked the best.

Ended up with a RG Eva and a HG Kshatriya.

So yeah, mum has great tastes in giant robots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Argas posted:

The Cielnova optional armor set for officers.

Thanks!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WorksLuce/status/1281151489931501574

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hot drat. That's the first time I've seen anyone successfully use that Koto rifle in a kit. I bought one and it is much bigger than I had thought

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh wow, DHL shipping to Australia from HLJ has gone right down the toilet as well now with COVID pricing :stonklol:.

$70AUD for a Cielnova, two weapon packs, the 30MM tank, and a pair of accessory packs :shepspends:.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
DHL from Japan has always been expensive.

At least Banzaihobby offer sea freight which is cheap, takes about a month to arrive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

DHL from Japan has always been expensive.

At least Banzaihobby offer sea freight which is cheap, takes about a month to arrive.

Oh I just realized what it is; We still had SAL available last time, that's why it was cheaper :doh:.

FedEx was even more expensive at $100AUD, but would've taken longer to get to me (3-5 days vs DHS's 1-3).

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh I just realized what it is; We still had SAL available last time, that's why it was cheaper :doh:.

FedEx was even more expensive at $100AUD, but would've taken longer to get to me (3-5 days vs DHS's 1-3).

You can take all those time estimates with a grain of salt at the moment anyway, particularly if you're in Victoria.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Posters posted:

You can take all those time estimates with a grain of salt at the moment anyway, particularly if you're in Victoria.

Oh absolutely.

Especially as that's where I'm hunkered down in under Stage 3 lockdowns :shepface:. That said, postal deliveries actually have been pretty decent in Australia, so I'm not too worried about a prolonged delay.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Oh hey, Ausgoon that just got hit with HLJ shipping solidarity :hfive:
$60 shipping for a $50 kit, good stuff!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got some stuff today too, expect I'll be emailing FedEx and telling them no, they can't just take £12 for no reason.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Blast from the past status: Still good

More

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Brick Shipment posted:

Oh hey, Ausgoon that just got hit with HLJ shipping solidarity :hfive:
$60 shipping for a $50 kit, good stuff!

This is why you order in larger amounts.

$60 shipping for $140.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Argas posted:

This is why you order in larger amounts.

$60 shipping for $140.

There wasn't anything else I wanted :shrug:
I have a larger order lined up for November, but I was happy to eat the cost if it meant not waiting that long for one thing. Just didn't realise it would be THAT much of a cost.

On the upside (depending on your definition of an 'upside'), it turns out the cost of the kit + shipping works out to about the same cost as buying retail locally, give or take $10.