Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

CPColin posted:

Why does that book talk about Shrek's sizzling hot knob

If you saw it you wouldn't be able to STOP talking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know if this is subtle, but I've never considered it before.

Watching Aliens for the billionth time, and it just occurred to me that the Marines actually probably came pretty close to winning.

There's only a little over a hundred aliens when they land, and factoring in the autocannon scene and the last stand the xenomorphs suffer casualties getting up towards that amount.

Like, for 30 years this movie has been "humans desperately fighting a losing battle against an overwhelming force" but in reality it's a pretty close match.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How many settlers were there? Not every settler can be a host, so if you assume a 50% conversion rate, that’s your maximum number of Xenomorphs. They were probably down to their last dozen or so Aliens when the reactor blew.

There was just 1 full grown Xenomorph in the first and third Alien movies right?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There were 158 colonists. I was figuring a 66% capture/impregnation.

And yes, 1 and 3 both had a single alien.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

There were 158 colonists. I was figuring a 66% capture/impregnation.

Don't they actually discuss this in the movie and say "assume a mortality rate of about a third"?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

Don't they actually discuss this in the movie and say "assume a mortality rate of about a third"?

Right. I guess I could have explicitly stated it, but that's exactly why I was using that number.

I think I need to watch the extended edition again and try counting the casualties. It'll be difficult, because there is a lot of off screen shooting, especially during the reactor battle, but I'll at least be able to count the alien screams. I'm 99% certain we never hear one of them scream unless it's dying.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

rydiafan posted:

I don't know if this is subtle, but I've never considered it before.

Watching Aliens for the billionth time, and it just occurred to me that the Marines actually probably came pretty close to winning.

There's only a little over a hundred aliens when they land, and factoring in the autocannon scene and the last stand the xenomorphs suffer casualties getting up towards that amount.

Like, for 30 years this movie has been "humans desperately fighting a losing battle against an overwhelming force" but in reality it's a pretty close match.

Aliens is Vietnam war in space so this checks out.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The original Karate Kid is on Netflix. It's been fun showing it to my kids and also pointing out the subtle themes to my wife.
While Daniel gets to know Miyagi, there are things that happen that enfore Miyagi's eschewing modern karate for traditionalism and patience. Naturally, when he corrects Daniel for slightly mispronouncing "Bon-sai" with the americanized "Banzai" is one.

One I first noticed last night: Daniel is running from the bullies, and he tries to climb over a fence. They catch up and pull him down. He tries several more times to climb the fence, with them pulling him down each time. They beat him up, Miyagi fights them off picks up Daniel and... unlatches the fence. Patience would have gotten Danel past that obstacle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Hot Fuzz when one of the other cops tells Angel London tried to call him, he seems a little confused and says it strangely and I like to think it’s because they’re so provincial that he is unfamiliar with the city of London.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

oldpainless posted:

In Hot Fuzz when one of the other cops tells Angel London tried to call him, he seems a little confused and says it strangely and I like to think it’s because they’re so provincial that he is unfamiliar with the city of London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oldpainless posted:

I believe both of the desk cops try to give him that message actually.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

My friend at work asked me earlier with a completely straight face why London Calling (on my speaker at the time) sounded like SpongeBob music and I think I felt something break in my brain because all I could say was "I guess the Clash was really influential, dude"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

That's seriously one of my favorite comedic line reads of all time. It turns a nothing line in to a subtle and hilarious joke.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have no idea how to post the gif from the lovely imgur app, but the shot with the two Andy's facing Angel and they move out of frame but the one Andy comes back for a scowl makes me cry laughing every loving time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:lol: every time.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You can see DCAndy almost cracking up when DS Andy comes back into frame.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This thread comes back to Hot Fuzz every fifty pages or so and I love it every time

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

oldpainless posted:

Reminds me of the little moment in Spaced where Mike (Tim's best friend) finds a note addressed to Tim and reads out "Tim??" in a way that suggests that he has no idea what it means.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

bony tony posted:

This thread comes back to Hot Fuzz every fifty pages or so and I love it every time

https://i.imgur.com/tXVdEjL.mp4

"You can't just make people disappear."

"Yes, I can. I'm the Chief Inspector. *menacing sneer*"

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Palm Springs is a good, sweet never-ending time loop movie. In one of the repeating days, the two main characters drunkenly get tattoos of dicks on their shoulders.

When the time loop is solved, an explanation diagram of what is supposed to happen and how they have to proceed is drawn on a mirror. It looks like a dick.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In the latest Terminator movie, whatever it's called, Arnie is in it as a good guy (qulle supris). Linda Hamilton insist that his heel turn is fake, but it's obviously the truth, but while it's not a surprise, there's a nice hint that he genuinely is good he has a dog that doesn't get alarmed around him, which they are supposed to do around all other Terminators

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Samovar posted:

In the latest Terminator movie, whatever it's called, Arnie is in it as a good guy (qulle supris). Linda Hamilton insist that his heel turn is fake, but it's obviously the truth, but while it's not a surprise, there's a nice hint that he genuinely is good he has a dog that doesn't get alarmed around him, which they are supposed to do around all other Terminators

That's a face turn. A heel turn is when someone good turns bad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Palm Springs is a good, sweet movie never-ending time loop. In one of the repeating days, the two main characters drunkenly get tattoos of dicks on their shoulders.

When the time loop is solved, an explanation diagram of what is supposed to happen and how they have to proceed is drawn on a mirror. It looks like a dick.

I'd edit out or spoiler tag that really big spoiler if I were you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

:thejoke:?

Like are you calling the dick tats a spoiler or do you think the groundhog day nature of the movie is a spoiler?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, it kind of is. I’ve managed to get a few people to watch it without them knowing about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh god it's From Dusk Till Dawn all over again

:psyduck:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The nature of the movie. I was completely surprised about it, and have gotten a couple other people to see it without spoilers as well. I agree that it's From Dusk 'til Dawny, but this is a brand new movie, not 25 years old.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of vampires I had a bug up my butt to watch Near Dark and it’s now impossible to find. There’s a DVD for $40 that’s the wrong region and a Blu-ray that’s going for over $100 on Amazon. No streaming or digital copy anywhere.

I found a copy the old fashioned way, but WTF? I want to give them my money and no one will take it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Literally everything I've seen about Palm Springs advertises it as a Groundhog Day movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

packetmantis posted:

Literally everything I've seen about Palm Springs advertises it as a Groundhog Day movie.

But if you don't see anything it's a surprise!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Len posted:

:thejoke:?

Like are you calling the dick tats a spoiler or do you think the groundhog day nature of the movie is a spoiler?

Oh man, I thought you were referring to the Terminator post, and now I really, REALLY want a Terminator movie done in a Groundhog Day style, although now that I think about it, it would be very similar to that one episode of Travelers, I guess?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Krispy Wafer posted:

Speaking of vampires I had a bug up my butt to watch Near Dark and it’s now impossible to find. There’s a DVD for $40 that’s the wrong region and a Blu-ray that’s going for over $100 on Amazon. No streaming or digital copy anywhere.

I found a copy the old fashioned way, but WTF? I want to give them my money and no one will take it.
I saw it streaming a year or so ago, it was a gorgeous 4K, possibly HDR. So it's out there.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
imo the real surprise in palm springs is that the start of the movie is an extremely long time after andy samberg got caught in the loop

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I would like to request that everybody spoiler tag all mentions of Batman and The Joker being in The Dark Knight, because I think it makes for a really interesting surprise if people don't know that coming in.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is that the one where they’re driving around with aluminum foil on the car windows, no fangs, but the vamps are REALLY flammable?

Dang, I haven’t seen that in decades and I once loved that flic.
Time to dig.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I would like to request that everybody spoiler tag all mentions of Batman and The Joker being in The Dark Knight, because I think it makes for a really interesting surprise if people don't know that coming in.

I saw this movie called Reign of Fire and holy poo poo it was about dragons

Edit: fixed

More like oldtypoless

Len has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Jul 30, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

*reign

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is that the one where they’re driving around with aluminum foil on the car windows, no fangs, but the vamps are REALLY flammable?

Dang, I haven’t seen that in decades and I once loved that flic.
Time to dig.

There was a movie called Daybreakers that had cars custom modified to have all cameras on the outside for the vampires. It wasn’t at all subtle, but it was a neat touch in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

imo the real surprise in palm springs is that the start of the movie is an extremely long time after andy samberg got caught in the loop

I really liked that. We're basically seeing the movie from Audie McDowell's perspective from one of the last loops in Groundhog Day.