Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

For every MOTUC figure that ballooned in price, there are about 20 others that completely died on the vine and aren't even worth selling because they go for so little. I had two subs for the entirety of line and while it's great to sell a Fisto or Shadow Weaver for a few hundred my basement is still full of stuff like Castaspella, Extendar, Gwildor, etc all $45+ dollar figures to buy that I can maybe get a $20 for on Mercari or eBay if I'm lucky.

I wasn't getting two sets to sell either, I just had misguided intentions of having a boxed collection but didn't realize the line would go on for 10 or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Went to the Goodwill for the first time in months today and found this awesome replica ghost trap for four bucks. I'm not even a Ghostbusters guy, but I kinda love this thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was just dirt rear end poor when the line started and couldn't afford them. And at the time my passion was comics in hardcover collections, toys were sidelined due to space issues. I actually bought a whole bunch of MOTUC at Think Geek last year and ended up returning them because I knew I'd likely never be able to get everything I wanted.

Edit: And htinking about how much I miss my original toys and bummed I was to have been unable to get in on Classics, the total lack of preorders for Origins is really irritating. I just want to buy some drat He-Man figures!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 15, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JT Smiley posted:

Went to the Goodwill for the first time in months today and found this awesome replica ghost trap for four bucks. I'm not even a Ghostbusters guy, but I kinda love this thing.

Be carful of the top flap thing. I broke mine. :(

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Something does seem off, like I can't get it to close all the way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s broken. There’s a way to fix it but idk how.

YouTube I think might be a good place to look.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

For every MOTUC figure that ballooned in price, there are about 20 others that completely died on the vine and aren't even worth selling because they go for so little. I had two subs for the entirety of line and while it's great to sell a Fisto or Shadow Weaver for a few hundred my basement is still full of stuff like Castaspella, Extendar, Gwildor, etc all $45+ dollar figures to buy that I can maybe get a $20 for on Mercari or eBay if I'm lucky.

I wasn't getting two sets to sell either, I just had misguided intentions of having a boxed collection but didn't realize the line would go on for 10 or so years.

Think that is a bit of an exaggeration. But, just thinking about it as an investment, if you sold the totality of one of your sets of figures, I would say you'd make back 4 to 5 times your investment, and you'd still have a whole other set. sounds like a good return to me? (now, the people who bought 30 darth maul figures when EP 1 came out...)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I sold 95 percent of my marvel legends before it really blew up again. I think I sold stuff at an average of 8-9 a figure. I paid less than that on average. It was surprising.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

LMK if there are any you'd like to get rid off, I have no emotional connection to MOTUC but I love "toyetic" figures and Extendar looks cool to me.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Cloks posted:

LMK if there are any you'd like to get rid off, I have no emotional connection to MOTUC but I love "toyetic" figures and Extendar looks cool to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927757

I've got a loose one in my sa mart thread for $20

Edit, is there a reason why someone would give BBTS $500 for a sentinel when it is still available on hasbro pulse?

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 16, 2020

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it’s broken. There’s a way to fix it but idk how.

YouTube I think might be a good place to look.

Thanks for the tip, I messed something up along the way but wound up getting it to work somehow.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Bushifox posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927757

I've got a loose one in my sa mart thread for $20

Edit, is there a reason why someone would give BBTS $500 for a sentinel when it is still available on hasbro pulse?

International shipping, I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Hasbropulse is US/Canada only.

Obviously you’re better off using a reshipper but not everyone knows about that. And BBTS does have store credit I suppose.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

After putting a wash on the Ghostbusters' uniforms went so well, I decided to try my hand at repainting another figure: Lightning Collection Goldar. While I always liked the sculpt, I never liked how he was colored. So I decided to give his armor a couple coats of gold paint and a wash.

Before:

After one coat:

After second coat and a wash:

I'm liking how it is coming out! The photos don't really do it justice, the difference is quite striking in real life. Once I get his wings and sword done, I'll have to take some better shots. I know I missed a few spots (I was a little worried about painting over the joints, didn't know if the paint would make it harder to articulate), and I realize this whole thing is very amateurish, but for my first repaint like this I'm please with the results.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s a significant improvement.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
drat that looks great. I've been meaning to repaint mine for a while but I've been putting it off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, MOTUC(?) is the original he-man toy line right? are original he man figures worth a ton now or something? I've got a shitload of them, castle greyskull, etc that I got in a gigantic Tupperware bin

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, MOTUC(?) is the original he-man toy line right? are original he man figures worth a ton now or something? I've got a shitload of them, castle greyskull, etc that I got in a gigantic Tupperware bin

Depending on what you have, the condition, etc yeah they have been worth a lot for years and years now.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

no, MOTUC is the newer line done by subscription through mattycollector. Most of the old loose vintage stuff isn't a big premium.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Bushifox posted:

no, MOTUC is the newer line done by subscription through mattycollector. Most of the old loose vintage stuff isn't a big premium.

I dunno I sold a lot of 10 or so OG figures loose for a couple hundred. poo poo that was maybe 15years ago at this point though. Time flies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
found the old photos I took of'em, there's a whole bunch

anything stand out, or should I just sell'em in a big lot and get rid of them since they take up a lot of room

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
None of the heavy hitters in there unfortunately.

If you can marry the weapons up to the figures and have them complete then you may make a little bit.

Also, the legs on vintage MOTU can become very wobbly, so make sure they are in decent shape otherwise the figure itself will be worth next to nothing.

It's good you have a stash of accessories though, as those are the things that are hard to come by.

Sorry I can't give better news.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's cool, I paid 30 bucks for all of it which I'm pretty sure is less than the bin they came in itself cost, so it's no biggie. I'll slap'em up on ebay in a big lot most likely, hopefully make a couple hundred bucks. the figures are in good shape so that's helpful.

probably keep the ridiculous skunk baddie(STINKOR I think his name is) and his comic, and the guy jim sterling always uses in his videos.

edit: I guess I mistook you saying there were no heavy hitters as they were mostly like 5-10 bucks each or something, but stuff like Battlecat can go for up to 30-40, Stinkor complete is 30-40, Man At Arms is 20. those aren't too bad pricewise for the complete figures(though of course not the 200-300 that some of the Classic ones are), guess I'll divvy'em up and sell them that way then.

Only thing is, I know almost nothing about He-Man beyond watching a bit of the show when I was a little kid, would someone be nice enough to name the ones in the figure picture? just a list of names is fine, I can look up everyone from there on, I'm just really unfamiliar with the names of characters themselves.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 16, 2020

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Oh yeah, there's a few you might make a bit on, but nothing from the last couple of ranges which is where the big money is.

I'm missing six figs from the last range to have everyone mint and complete, but can't justify dropping the money on them.

Here's who you have:

Left to right:

Top Row:

Trap Jaw, Battle Armor Skeletor, Kobra Khan, Mantenna, Stratos, Roboto, Man-E-Faces, Sy-Klone, Grizzlor, Orko.

Second Row:

Moss Man, Jitsu, Beastman, Faker, Webstor, Clawful, Whiplash, Prince Adam, Teela, Fisto, Tri-Klops, Man-At-Arms.

Third Row:

Skeletor, Battle Armor He-Man, Stinkor, Evil Lyn, Hordak, Ram-Man, Two Bad, Buzz Off, Leech, Mekaneck, Zoar

Edit: This site will help marry the accessories to the figures:

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/masters-of-the-universe-motu/the-original-series/

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 16, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pitwar posted:

Oh yeah, there's a few you might make a bit on, but nothing from the last couple of ranges which is where the big money is.

I'm missing six figs from the last range to have everyone mint and complete, but can't justify dropping the money on them.

Here's who you have:

Left to right:

Top Row:

Trap Jaw, Battle Armor Skeletor, Kobra Khan, Mantenna, Stratos, Roboto, Man-E-Faces, Sy-Klone, Grizzlor, Orko.

Second Row:

Moss Man, Jitsu, Beastman, Faker, Webstor, Clawful, Whiplash, Prince Adam, Teela, Fisto, Tri-Klops, Man-At-Arms.

Third Row:

Skeletor, Battle Armor He-Man, Stinkor, Evil Lyn, Hordak, Ram-Man, Two Bad, Buzz Off, Leech, Mekaneck, Zoar

Edit: This site will help marry the accessories to the figures:

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/masters-of-the-universe-motu/the-original-series/
You rule, thanks so much. When I last checked some of the prices on these, which was admittedly at least half a decade ago, they were much lower than the current prices, like battlecat was 15 bucks on ebay, etc. Wonder what caused such a resurgence in demand, is there a new show/comic/revival/etc?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Captain Invictus posted:

You rule, thanks so much. When I last checked some of the prices on these, which was admittedly at least half a decade ago, they were much lower than the current prices, like battlecat was 15 bucks on ebay, etc. Wonder what caused such a resurgence in demand, is there a new show/comic/revival/etc?

Absolute pleasure. Be sure to let me know how you get on selling them.

There's a new Netflix show on the horizon which may have generated some interest, but I think a big part of it is people are looking to re-live their youth and for a time MOTU was a cheap way to do it. But, this caused prices to rocket for some figs and we are where we are.

I'm lucky as the bulk of my collection is from when I was a kid, but those last 6 figures I still need are all top end price wise. Doesn't help that I live in the UK and the last range wasn't widely available here, hence why I don't have them from back in the day. One day I might get lucky and find them at a price I'm willing to pay.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
who could have foreseen gwildor not exploding in popularity??

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!

Captain Invictus posted:

found the old photos I took of'em, there's a whole bunch

anything stand out, or should I just sell'em in a big lot and get rid of them since they take up a lot of room

Whoa major nostalgia right there. I’d buy this whole set off you if you plan to sell it. How can I email you?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-final-season-is-getting-some-1844405248

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Just throwing this out there, I bet some of us are in the same boat. If anyone comes across the NECA Metalhead or Casey Jones/Foot Soldier 2 pack, and could grab them for me. I’d love you long time. If I’m able to get a set. I’ll keep checking my stores for anyone else looking for them like usual.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Walmart exclusives lmao, what the gently caress is Hasbro thinking? All four of those would sell like gangbusters if offered via normal means. Good luck actually getting a preorder online because there’s no way most Walmart brick and mortars will ever get them in stock.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

https://preorder.super7store.com/products/king-diamond-ultimates-figure-classic-mercyful-fate-era

King Diamond 7" scale figure. Pretty much perfect, three different heads, plenty of accessories, it's a dream figure for any KD / Mercyful Fate fan. I've never preordered anything from Super 7. This doesn't ship until next summer, so would I be better off using Big Bad Toy Store when they put a preorder up for this, or just use Super 7?

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

DrChud posted:

Just throwing this out there, I bet some of us are in the same boat. If anyone comes across the NECA Metalhead or Casey Jones/Foot Soldier 2 pack, and could grab them for me. I’d love you long time. If I’m able to get a set. I’ll keep checking my stores for anyone else looking for them like usual.

Same. NECA hurts me bad trying to find their TMNT sets. I’m in if anyone can find a Casey/Foot Soldier and Casey/Ralph set. I’ll pay a finder fee and for shipping. :dance:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

That’s a significant improvement.

JT Smiley posted:

drat that looks great. I've been meaning to repaint mine for a while but I've been putting it off.

Thanks!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Future Son posted:

Whoa major nostalgia right there. I’d buy this whole set off you if you plan to sell it. How can I email you?
I'll probably be divvying it up this weekend and pricing it all out, if I don't feel it's really worth unloading it all separately I'll let you know and maybe we can work something out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have an extra Event Exclusive Kid Goku from last year (purple gi) and a Scouter Vegeta, both brand new and sealed. Was hoping to basically sell them at cost, I don't care about making a profit, I just want to make space on my shelves.

Anyone interested?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/iggaryv/status/1284134939622084614?s=20
https://twitter.com/GIJoeOfficial/status/1284133299120672768?s=20

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Mitsune posted:

Same. NECA hurts me bad trying to find their TMNT sets. I’m in if anyone can find a Casey/Foot Soldier and Casey/Ralph set. I’ll pay a finder fee and for shipping. :dance:

Same. At this point I think it's safe that if you find any of the new NECA TMNT sets, one of us broken people will buy them from you in this thread.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I didn't think for a minute that the "retro" Joes would be '80s reissues with o-rings. But I'm sure the Hisstank purists are losing their drat minds right now.

All the Walmart preorders go live at 11 AM EST, so four minutes from now:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/coll...helf_id:4629791

And in ten minutes, EVERYONE will be losing their drat minds.

I'm so content that I preordered the light blue and gold Cobra Commander already. It's my favorite of the three, by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Cobra Commander is one of the few gi joes I actually care about, so seeing him get a deluxe version is pretty cool!