Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

canyoneer posted:

I had a similar issue with a carbon monoxide detector. Thing kept screeching at me and the noise was giving me a headache and making me dizzy so I had to take the batteries out.

Uhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

canyoneer posted:

I had a similar issue with a carbon monoxide detector. Thing kept screeching at me and the noise was giving me a headache and making me dizzy so I had to take the batteries out.

Is that a throwback to the famous 'reddit saved my life' thread or you are dead serious?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Is that a throwback to the famous 'reddit saved my life' thread or you are dead serious?

Oh good grief, y'all

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Comedy in my dead gay forums... Well I'd never

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

abelwingnut posted:

update:

so had a plumber come by. he said there wasn't anything wrong with the pipes that he could tell. he ended up replacing the pipe directly under the sink as it was in bad shape.

in any case, the thing still smells. i called him up, and he's now telling me it could be the waste line from the dishwasher. it connects to the sink piping a few inches under the sink basin. i've pulled up the filters from the dishwasher, and there's a little pool of standing water underneath them. that...doesn't seem right to me.

as these filters cover the entrance to the waste line within the dishwasher, does this suggest i have a clog in the waste line? if so, how best do i proceed? should i try the baking soda and vinegar trick here? do i need a snake of some sort?

sorry if this is dumb! never done anything like this.

e:

not sure how visible it is, but there's a pool of water about a 1/2" deep above the entrance to the waste line. is that normal?

Yes there should be a small pool of water in there that comes to justttt above that rubber gasket. This is to keep the gaskets and everything in there from dry-rotting.

I went through this exact same thing a year ago. Only our water was coming up a little too far above the basket thing (that you've removed.. .my washer looks exactly like yours).

What you don't see is a grate and motor down there that pumps the water out when needed. Our motor wasn't running too right because it had a string around part of it so it was pumping very weakly. I was able to remove some of it with my hand (goddamn it's hard to get down in there) and it's worked fine since then.

Yours doesn't look to be too deep. Can't quite tell. But now you got my interest piqued that our smell might too be related to the washer.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

H110Hawk posted:

To further blow your mind it's just 6 aaaa batteries in larger package.

It depends on the battery though. Some are just made to fit in regular alkaline form factors.

Most regular ol' 9volts have six 1.5V cells in them too. Not quite the same size as AAAAs though.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have these tasks to do on my new home. Apply protective coating for the wooden floors, paint the walls myself, hire a professional painter for the areas I can't do myself (high vaulted ceilings in some areas), maid service for a deep clean, and professional carpet cleaning.

Which order should they be done for the most seamless transition? I am thinking about painting what I can, hiring a painter, scheduling the deep clean with the maid, hiring the carpet cleaners, then applying protective coating. Does that sound about right? I have pets, so I'd like to get as much done as possible before they come to the new house.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Personally I'd say reverse the painting so you can touch up any bits you aren't happy with after the professionals have been through.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The protective coating on the wood floors probably requires sanding so I think you'd actually want to do that first then painting after wiping down the walls and ceilings and then have the maid service clean at the end of it all.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

The protective coating on the wood floors probably requires sanding so I think you'd actually want to do that first then painting after wiping down the walls and ceilings and then have the maid service clean at the end of it all.
Is it possible to skip that step at all? The flooring doesn't look too bad in its current state. I just want to apply a sealant because I have pets who vomit and pee.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
If the floors are in decent shape and don't need restained they don't really need to be sanded all the way down. They can just be scuff-sand to rough up the existing urethane a bit so the new stuff can adhere properly. You wouldn't want to skip sanding completely though.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
We've got some poison ivy growing in our front yard, a couple of young stalks in a small patch. What are your tips and tricks for removing it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Akbar posted:

We've got some poison ivy growing in our front yard, a couple of young stalks in a small patch. What are your tips and tricks for removing it?

Gloves and make sure you get the roots out

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Burn all clothes you used to touch it. My friend got poison ivy once and he got a few flare-ups after touching stuff that touched it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
You can buy creams/wipes that will help prevent the poison ivy reaction, we use them all the time for work. Burning your clothes is a bit much I think, just take them off right after and wash with hot water and detergent on the heavy duty setting.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tater_salad posted:

Burn all clothes you used to touch it. My friend got poison ivy once and he got a few flare-ups after touching stuff that touched it.

Burning poison ivy or anything it's touched is the last thing you want to do. The oils that cause the reaction can persist in the smoke and you don't want to breathe that poo poo in.

As for getting rid of it, I'm pretty sure you can kill it with glyphosate based weed killers, though you may have to get a special ivy/brush version because of how oily the leaves are.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
IvyX. Buy it. Use it.

gently caress poison ivy right in its stupid face.

(I have some right now because I didn't use my IvyX.)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Khizan posted:

As for getting rid of it, I'm pretty sure you can kill it with glyphosate based weed killers, though you may have to get a special ivy/brush version because of how oily the leaves are.

Yep, glyphosate weed killers work well. We have a formulation specifically for “woody stemmed weeds” which has been doing great at knocking down both the Virginia creeper and the poison ivy on our fence.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Thanks all!

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Do not burn it. Shower promptly after loving with it.

I don’t get a reaction to it, but my stepdad was nearly hospitalized after burning some random brush that had poison I’ve inside

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, after dealing with a lot of poison ivy over the years it sucks. When washing up pay attention to your wrists.

I'm very susceptible to it. If I get it, I just bite the bullet and head to the clinic for a cortisone shot in the hip.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Bandit posted:

Do not burn it. Shower promptly after loving with it.

I don’t get a reaction to it, but my stepdad was nearly hospitalized after burning some random brush that had poison I’ve inside

We were on a camping trip once when I was in high school and my little brother brought like 5 of his friends a long. We ended up accidentally burning some poison sumac or oak or something and for like a month afterwards we were all hosed. I didn't breath it in but I had it on my arms so bad (and I've gotten poison ivy hundreds of times before - I itch and stuff but it's not the end of the world) that I had this like 7 inch x 4 inch giant pussy open wound area on my arm. It was the worst. Several kids breathed it in and got it in their eyes and one had to be hospitalized for a day or two about a week later. poo poo is terrible.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Not sure if it is a wive's tale or not--but always been told to wash up with cold water after exposure to poison ivy/oak/sumac to keep your pores from opening.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HycoCam posted:

Not sure if it is a wive's tale or not--but always been told to wash up with cold water after exposure to poison ivy/oak/sumac to keep your pores from opening.

Tecnu is great stuff too if you're exposed. Invented to wash off radioactive material!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've had good luck just washing with dishwashing soap, like Dawn or whatnot. The chemical that causes the reaction is an oil, so things that remove oils will be helpful.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I wonder if brake cleaner would work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Apologies for starting a storm. What I meant was: Be careful after pulling it out make sure to vigerously wash your poo poo and your body.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~
Working on re-sealing the shower in our master bath. Last time I did the caulk, I didn't smooth out the lines well enough, so there were some dents for water to get stuck in and mildew started growing despite our best efforts to clean it. The bathroom is also internal to our home, so it doesn't dry out that well unless you leave the fan running long after showering.

I've done two other showers since then with (I think) better results, so I'm hoping I won't gently caress this one up.

I know you're primarily supposed to use silicone caulk. However, the one thing I've learned is that removing silicone caulk is an enormous pain in the rear end. I don't use mineral spirits since the ventilation in the room is terrible, which makes it harder. So if I screw this one up, I'd like to use something that's a little easier to pull up if I have to. We're looking to move sometime after Americans stop sharing Covid like candy, so it shouldn't need to last for 10 years, and I may end up replacing it again just before we move.

I had bought some DAP Kwik-Seal, but it's apparently garbage for showers from the reviews I've read, so I'll probably be returning it for something else.

Any recommendations for non-silicone alternatives to use? Major brands you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot would be ideal, since those are the only hardware stores nearby and I'd rather not wait for shipping so I can get this done sooner.

edit: Cleaning seal around the tub isn't that bad; it's the seam under the tub and along the wall where I have to scrape it off the tiny ceramic tiles and grout on the floor that's causing me grief.

Jacquismo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 18, 2020

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hey all, looking at putting down VCT for flooring in my kitchen for the vintage checkerboard look. I’m going with Armstrong brand so I’m looking at the adhesives they offer. It looks like the S-750 will allow me to apply and then lay tile in the quickest time, but I’m curious about the full cure time.

I’m doing this in my current kitchen so I need to move things like the stove and fridge around while I tile sections of the room, what is the full cure time I am looking at? I see 24-48hr mentioned but nothing in the product data sheet. Are there any adhesives that would give me a quicker cure time in order to get things replaced sooner?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jacquismo posted:

I know you're primarily supposed to use silicone caulk. However, the one thing I've learned is that removing silicone caulk is an enormous pain in the rear end. I don't use mineral spirits since the ventilation in the room is terrible, which makes it harder. So if I screw this one up, I'd like to use something that's a little easier to pull up if I have to. We're looking to move sometime after Americans stop sharing Covid like candy, so it shouldn't need to last for 10 years, and I may end up replacing it again just before we move.

IMO, use mineral spirits and wear a respirator with activated carbon filters, something like these things. That sounds way easier to me than trying to use a tool that isn't adapted to the job.

Note that those cartridges don't last forever; they wear out from exposure to air. Keep them in a sealed plastic bag when not in use. You'll know they need to be replaced because you'll start to smell fumes again even with the respirator on. Having said all that, I've had catridges last over a year in storage.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jacquismo posted:

Working on re-sealing the shower in our master bath. Last time I did the caulk, I didn't smooth out the lines well enough, so there were some dents for water to get stuck in and mildew started growing despite our best efforts to clean it. The bathroom is also internal to our home, so it doesn't dry out that well unless you leave the fan running long after showering.

I've done two other showers since then with (I think) better results, so I'm hoping I won't gently caress this one up.

I had bought some DAP Kwik-Seal, but it's apparently garbage for showers from the reviews I've read, so I'll probably be returning it for something else.

Any recommendations for non-silicone alternatives to use? Major brands you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot would be ideal, since those are the only hardware stores nearby and I'd rather not wait for shipping so I can get this done sooner.

edit: Cleaning seal around the tub isn't that bad; it's the seam under the tub and along the wall where I have to scrape it off the tiny ceramic tiles and grout on the floor that's causing me grief.
The mineral spirits--use it to put on the silicone. Dip your finger in the mineral spirits. Drag you line. Have paper towels and a trash can next to you.

To remove the silicone--soften it a bit with rubbing alcohol or wd40, then use a longer, flexible blade (https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-18-mm-and-9-mm-Snap-Off-Knife-Set-2-Piece-86-212-0111/303711777) and some sanding/buffing to get the stuff off.

e: Use silicone...not wanting to use it because it lasts too long/sticks too well probably isn't the best reason to not use it....imho

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

HycoCam posted:

e: Use silicone...not wanting to use it because it lasts too long/sticks too well probably isn't the best reason to not use it....imho

Agreed, I tried a couple others before knowing what I was doing and they lasted months at best in a wet shower environment. Silicone has held up for 4 years now.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
I've been installing gutter gaurds on my house and I'm on the last 20 feet out of 70. The first 50 feet took like 5 minutes a section to wedge a putty knife / prybar under the shingles to slide the gaurd underneath. Now it's taking like 45 minutes per section because there's just so much stinking tar keeping things together. Is there a trick to getting in between, like heating up my putty knife or something?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Agreed, I tried a couple others before knowing what I was doing and they lasted months at best in a wet shower environment. Silicone has held up for 4 years now.

I've heard of people using waterproof construction adhesive which is more like a mastic, but if you mess that up you will never get it off.

Also if you need to run the fan literally 24/7 to dry out the room do that, you don't want damp and mould in your internal bathroom.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
I accidentally dropped a jar of salsa and it chipped our quartz countertop. Is there an easy way to fix this?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tequila25 posted:

I accidentally dropped a jar of salsa and it chipped our quartz countertop. Is there an easy way to fix this?

I've heard you can take the chip out, and put a thin layer of epoxy in the divot, then shove the chip back in. and use a finger or paper towel to get rid of the excess that squeezes out. I've got something similar on granite counter top, and am planning on trying the same when I stop being a lazy sack of poo poo about it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I’m back with more woeful issues with my house! The attic of my house is “finished” with drywall, flooring, as well as air conditioning. Since the house was built in 1929, it’s all retrofitted. The AC system for the second and third floors is also housed here in a closet, which is where I’m seeing issues.

The drywall appears to be splitting where the ceiling peaks. As you can see in the photos below, large chips of paint are falling off and the drywall has a visible crack where it meets a center beam/rib in the ceiling. When I place my hand against the drywall, it’s noticeably warm and also easily moved. I’m pretty sure I have a hot roof but I’m not 100% sure. Whatever is going on, it’s causing some mold growth as seen below.

For what it’s worth, my chimney, which is off to the right of this room, has quite a few issues, including leaks, that are being fixed in the next week. The chimney isn’t directly adjacent to all of this however (if it matters).

Can I just caulk or otherwise seal this crack at the peak or is a more thorough repair needed?

These next photos are in the main space where there are similar issues, just not as bad.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears that the drywall is installed, probably with a layer of insulation that isn't doing much, tight up against the underside of the roof.

There are temperature variations between the roof deck and the inner space (the surface of the drywall). This difference results in condensation forming on the cooler surfaces (i.e., the back side of the drywall). Without air circulation and a place for built-up moisture to go, it is soaking into the drywall & insulation.

Your roof structure needs to 'breathe.' In order to properly address this, all of the drywall has to come down, foam W-pan needs to be fitted up against the underside of the roof deck (to create airflow between the roof peak & the soffit, as well as to channel condensation down to the soffit, & out).

The roof will need a ridge vent installed. This will allow air to be taken in at the soffit & ejected at the ridge. This will have the added benefit of cooling the roof deck somewhat.

Once that is addressed, you can install insulation against the W-pan, and then new drywall, preferably on the exposed edges of the roof joists..

If you do nothing the wood framing and decking will (continue to) rot.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 20, 2020

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I feared something like that, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

How the gently caress did any of you figure poo poo out before Youtube was a thing?

I vaguely remember going with my dad to hardware stores and him chatting up the old "retired" workers to talk through a fix, but I love that I can just type in a bunch of keywords and get tutorials right off the bat. I wonder if people still do that.