Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

But have you thought about this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FuscoChris/status/1284113683128483840

They had to have been hoping for more.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1284179947985108992?s=20

Interesting the Pritzker would go that far.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/phattyCorpuscle/status/1284207385830019072

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1284212784482287617

don't worry I'm sure Lightfoot and to a lesser extent Pritzker will come out and scold all the dumb young people for going to the bars that they reopened

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1284212784482287617

don't worry I'm sure Lightfoot and to a lesser extent Pritzker will come out and scold all the dumb young people for going to the bars that they reopened

I am sure there is a percentage that went out and acted like there isn’t a pandemic but I think the spike in numbers 18-29 come from that overwhelmingly the businesses that are reopened are staffed by people 18-29. Putting people in harms way is of course going to expose them. Indoor dining is stupid and reckless. I really fear for the Fall when things cool down again.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1284223076809482240

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1284179685451149313

If the Feds are involved then he has less ability to wiggle out. It is the same reason by Burke is going to be hosed. Their saving grace might be blue tsunami election in which the incoming DOJ and FBI becomes less interested in them but I doubt it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This Portland poo poo has me all hosed up thinking about any feds in the city tbh

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Poque posted:

This Portland poo poo has me all hosed up thinking about any feds in the city tbh

This entire countrywide poo poo has me all hosed up thinking about the feds (and policing in general).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SamsCola posted:

This entire countrywide poo poo has me all hosed up thinking about the feds (and policing in general).

:yeah:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The US is just invading itself to install a "democracy," in 2016 we became the country we used to warn everyone about.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Yeah word is, Portland is a trial balloon before it expands to bigger cities. Stay safe.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

At this point, I feel like even beyond him genuinely being pretty poo poo, it'd be worth getting Madigan out* just to force the IL GOP to come up with some new material.

*Preferably by primarying him so the GOP can't take credit for it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Soonmot posted:

Yeah word is, Portland is a trial balloon before it expands to bigger cities. Stay safe.

Not just rumors

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1284247139506429952

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Spoke with some friends who are involved in the city hospitals and also some city-level schools: there's going to be a big announcement regarding schools for the Fall for Monday the 20th, and that Pritzker will also be announcing that we might have to go into shutdown sometime in the fall since the hospitals may hit capacity before Thanksgiving.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chicago bars closed again

Way too late, and restaurants should be closed too

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Homeland Security making plans to deploy some 150 agents in Chicago this week, with scope of duty unknown

quote:

The Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI, agents are set to assist other federal law enforcement and Chicago police in crime-fighting efforts, according to sources familiar with the matter, though a specific plan on what the agents will be doing had not been made public.

One city official said the city was aware of the plan but not any specifics. The Chicago Police Department had no immediate comment.

One Immigration and Customs Enforcement official in Chicago, who asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak on the matter, confirmed the deployment was expected to take place. The official noted that the HSI agents, who are part of ICE, would not be involved in immigration or deportation matters.

Looks like this has been confirmed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surely THIS will be the event that brings down the Trump administration!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

Spoke with some friends who are involved in the city hospitals and also some city-level schools: there's going to be a big announcement regarding schools for the Fall for Monday the 20th, and that Pritzker will also be announcing that we might have to go into shutdown sometime in the fall since the hospitals may hit capacity before Thanksgiving.

I do not expect Pritzker to change anything with schools. Talked with other teachers and we all expect to start school in person and be back to remote learning between 3 and 6 weeks later. Part of my classes is just going to be getting students prepared for remote learning again.

As for shutdown by Thanksgiving, I can totally see that happening. We will start an uptick in cases (already are in several places) and our only hope that is treatments by the fall reduce hospitalizations (like they seemingly have with deaths).

Also, what the hell are 175 fed troops going to do in Chicago? Are they going to stop the gang violence or are they just going to go after protestors?

Edit: A local school put out their reopening plan and they blamed their mask policy on ISBE taking away funding for non compliant schools (which was proven false 2 weeks ago). I guess they would rather give out false information that makes people mad at ISBE than just take a stand.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 20, 2020

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I do not expect Pritzker to change anything with schools. Talked with other teachers and we all expect to start school in person and be back to remote learning between 3 and 6 weeks later. Part of my classes is just going to be getting students prepared for remote learning again.

As for shutdown by Thanksgiving, I can totally see that happening. We will start an uptick in cases (already are in several places) and our only hope that is treatments by the fall reduce hospitalizations (like they seemingly have with deaths).

Also, what the hell are 175 fed troops going to do in Chicago? Are they going to stop the gang violence or are they just going to go after protestors?

Edit: A local school put out their reopening plan and they blamed their mask policy on ISBE taking away funding for non compliant schools (which was proven false 2 weeks ago). I guess they would rather give out false information that makes people mad at ISBE than just take a stand.

Based on what's happening in Portland, the feds are gonna shoot and gas as many people as possible for the crime of being outside.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Illinois Federation of Teachers (my state level union) called for all remote learning in the fall. Whether that actually amounts to a bucket of piss is to be seen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SamsCola posted:

Based on what's happening in Portland, the feds are gonna shoot and gas as many people as possible for the crime of being outside.

The load of BS that DHS has spread is that it's for protection of federal property, which in Chicago would be the Dirksen Federal Building, and I'm not sure what else. Hopefully it amounts to a bunch of dorks in riot gear in 90 degree heat for a couple weeks.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Devo posted:

Illinois Federation of Teachers (my state level union) called for all remote learning in the fall. Whether that actually amounts to a bucket of piss is to be seen.

IFT actually gets poo poo done, unlike its Chicago local. So it could be a big deal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Unit 5 in Normal and rural Bloomington has announced they're encouraging full time face to face. They are offering a remote option with Google Classroom and handing out chromebooks but ugh...

The only thing that would lead me to optimism is how effective masks are proving. But I have two elementary school kids. They're not gonna be great at mask discipline, you know?

We are keeping our kids home this semester but I am really not looking forward to this in any way.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have a 5th grader and 3rd grader. We have started practicing wearing a mask at home. We are up to 2 hours. They want to see their friends and teacher (it will help once they do switch to remote learning).

It is just going to be another adjustment. We have already sent a message to our students that remote learning will be held to a higher standard than last spring.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

dwarf74 posted:

Unit 5 in Normal and rural Bloomington has announced they're encouraging full time face to face. They are offering a remote option with Google Classroom and handing out chromebooks but ugh...

The only thing that would lead me to optimism is how effective masks are proving. But I have two elementary school kids. They're not gonna be great at mask discipline, you know?

We are keeping our kids home this semester but I am really not looking forward to this in any way.

Yeah, keeping my girls home as well for online learning. My wife and I are both working from home at least through the end of the year, and we're not sending them to school when we're not comfortable going back to the office. At least it sounds like it'll be better than the remote learning from the end of the spring semester was.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My wife is working from home indefinitely and wants to keep the kids home. I don't know how much good that will do given the fact that I will be standing in the plague zone for 6 hours a day. I'm totally cool with it for my older kids, but I've got one entering first grade and I'm already worried about how much he missed in the spring despite our best efforts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

We're doing remote learning also. We both are working from home for the forseeable future and though we're all sick of each other's faces we'd miss each other if we died, so. Yeah. The less kids in the school the easier it'll be for those who have to be there to distance.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Oracle posted:

We're doing remote learning also. We both are working from home for the forseeable future and though we're all sick of each other's faces we'd miss each other if we died, so. Yeah. The less kids in the school the easier it'll be for those who have to be there to distance.

I work for a K-12 education company and we have just been slammed by people requesting the online versions to our programs.

I specifically work with private schools in the Midwest that use our older programs.

Some of these principals are pissed to find out we don’t offer online learning for textbooks printed in 2002.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Beastie posted:

I work for a K-12 education company and we have just been slammed by people requesting the online versions to our programs.

I specifically work with private schools in the Midwest that use our older programs.

Some of these principals are pissed to find out we don’t offer online learning for textbooks printed in 2002.

School cutting budgets for textbook replacements has been a thing for at least 40 years. I remember being in school in the mid 90s using books that were printed in the mid 70s, before I was born. You would run into things like it saying the President is Richard Nixon and how by the 1990s we would be doing things like living on the Moon. Oh and racist things that were acceptable then.

I do wonder how much of the push from the Government to reopen schools is to not shine a light of all the massive budget shortfalls education has had over the last 40 years.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have been teaching for 13 years now and have not used a textbook for the last 10. I teach at an alternative Ed high school so we already had old books that rarely got updated.

I got tired of the books and just created my own guided notes, worksheets, projects and test.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

When I took my position last year, the newest textbook in my room was Algebra 1 from 2006. I did not use my textbooks.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

When I was in middle school, we had a flag in one of my classrooms that had 48 stars. This was in the 90s.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Devo posted:

When I took my position last year, the newest textbook in my room was Algebra 1 from 2006. I did not use my textbooks.

Did algebra change since 2006? Why do you need a new math book? Or chemistry? Or physics? If they're physically falling apart that's one thing, but it's not like high school level foundational content has changed in 15 years.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, they're falling apart. But also the core standards have changed at least twice since then. I know we can all sit back and say that math doesn't change, but the way it's taught since I graduated high school in 1999 sure has. Big difference in 14 years of texts.

e: also the chemistry and physics books in my high school are older than my algebra books. I'm not as up to date on the science standards but pretty sure those have changed a few times as well.

Devo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 23, 2020

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
On the other hand, freshmen at UofI are still using the latest edition of the same book we used for physics AP at Taft.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

At the school board meeting for my kids' district here in Bloomington/Normal, every parent and teacher that showed up to the meeting spoke against reopening for in-person learning. Board voted unanimously to approve the plan anyway, though everyone is pointing out that they might not get enough staff willing to show up in person to actually open anyway, so I guess we'll see what happens.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

At the school board meeting for my kids' district here in Bloomington/Normal, every parent and teacher that showed up to the meeting spoke against reopening for in-person learning. Board voted unanimously to approve the plan anyway, though everyone is pointing out that they might not get enough staff willing to show up in person to actually open anyway, so I guess we'll see what happens.
Wow, I missed that.

Was there any word about what plans are in place if a teacher or student tests positive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lager posted:

Another day of big case counts and increasing positivity rates.

Opening schools will be an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully the unions stand strong across the state and refuse to return to blatantly unsafe working conditions.