Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Nevets posted:

Interesting rooflines with dormers and lots of gables and valleys sell houses!

Also, the cost to re-roof helps put roofers' kids through college. Your complex roofline is funding the education of the next generation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Shoot away!

Can't this be fixed with like $10 worth of gutter? Am I missing something?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As large as the stuff being built in place of tear-downs in my area is, a simple shape can look like a giant ugly box. As someone who only has to look at this stuff I'd rather the clunky over-complication, really. It's not like the builds are going to start getting smaller, that's for sure.

e: This place is a classic example. Owners subsequent to the original builder have actually done well to improve the look. But it's still especially glaring in the context of the neighborhood.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6430-27th-St-N-Arlington-VA-22207/12056415_zpid/

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 13, 2020

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Wallet posted:

Can't this be fixed with like $10 worth of gutter? Am I missing something?
Depends on what's at the ground level - could be the middle of the driveway or entryway down there or something.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

As large as the stuff being built in place of tear-downs in my area is, a simple shape can look like a giant ugly box. As someone who only has to look at this stuff I'd rather the clunky over-complication, really. It's not like the builds are going to start getting smaller, that's for sure.

I'm no architect, but I think a basic colonial with dormers looks good. This house specifically seems to suffer from the fact that it is so drat big (10.5K sq/ft) and there's nothing interesting to break up the boring exterior: lame siding, no window muntins, no chimneys, and drab, dull, inoffensive colors (like white shutters.) As a smaller house with better colors, I think it would be fine. It just looks like somebody took a basic tract home and stretched the size.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My crazy neighbor is currently stapling ~12-18" metal mesh to the top of our shared fence line to "keep the squirrels out. I heard they're a rabies vector you know." Ok dude, if you think you're keeping the squirrels out knock yourself out. He originally started doing this by a tree in our back yard which dropping a bunch of berries in his yard - fine. Now it's the whole fenceline.

It's ugly as sin but firmly in the "pick your battles" territory.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The funniest part is squirrels are NOT considered a rabies vector.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/other.html#:~:text=Small%20rodents%20and%20other%20wild,to%20transmit%20rabies%20to%20humans.

If they get bitten by something with rabies, odd are they die from the wound. And on the slim chance they DO get rabies themselves, they would die of it too fast to have any meaningful chance to spread it. Rabies progresses relatively slowly once an animal is infected because it has to travel up the nerves to the brain. Smaller animal = less nerves to travel through = quicker access to brain = quicker death.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The funniest part is squirrels are NOT considered a rabies vector.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/other.html#:~:text=Small%20rodents%20and%20other%20wild,to%20transmit%20rabies%20to%20humans.

If they get bitten by something with rabies, odd are they die from the wound. And on the slim chance they DO get rabies themselves, they would die of it too fast to have any meaningful chance to spread it. Rabies progresses relatively slowly once an animal is infected because it has to travel up the nerves to the brain. Smaller animal = less nerves to travel through = quicker access to brain = quicker death.

Yup. And :laffo: at the idea of a little bit of mesh on a fence is going to keep the squirrels out.

Took a picture of my sunflowers to show friends, mesh is pictured there:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 13, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also good luck keeping squirrels out of anywhere with anything short of a flaming moat of gasoline in an empty field.

E:fb

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Yup. And :laffo: at the idea of a little bit of mesh on a fence is going to keep the squirrels out.

LOL. If he extended that mesh and canopied his entire yard, that might -- and I do mean might -- slow them down a little, but that decorative fence topper isn't going to stop a rodent with millions of years of evolution honing their ability to climb vertical surfaces and jump from height.

How much of a wuss do you have to be to be afraid of squirrels? Neighbor's been watching too much of Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where Veruca Salt gets her comeuppance.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

Also good luck keeping squirrels out of anywhere with anything short of a flaming moat of gasoline in an empty field.

E:fb

I just want them out of my tomatoes! :bahgawd:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Took a picture of my sunflowers to show friends, mesh is pictured there:

You should send him the link to this video and then ask him if he thinks that mesh is gonna do anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
He even told me a story of some youtube I should have seen with a squirrel launching itself some absurd number of feet and landing dead nuts into a like 2" hole or whatever. I'm glad to bring you folks a laugh. He also took the moment to tell me how he saw I got new electrical (...3.5 years ago) and had I bothered to ask him he could have suggested we go buried like he did instead of aerial. Let me get right on that. He then went on to complain about some patio lights I have being too bright. Late last year he complained that I was parking in the shade in front of his house on a public road, a spot he himself suggested we park a year prior. (I was even sharing it, making sure to park so 2 cars could fit.) He called in a friends car as "abandoned overnight" to the police when it had been there for a few hours in the middle of the day because it's a beater. I've never wanted to buy that beater off someone more in my life just to spite park it there.

I pick my battles with him. The rest I just smile and nod.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I pick my battles with him. The rest I just smile and nod.

Based on some of that story, I think I disagree with this approach. There are types of people out there that just keep pushing if they think they can get one over on you (like a toddler.) The only way to stop the barrage and escalation is to be firm and resolute in your application of the word "NO" when you are in the right.

There's risk to the "NO" approach if the person is truly psychotic and wants to win at any cost, but most of the time, once they realize you won't deal with their BS, they'll find another pushover to annoy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

Based on some of that story, I think I disagree with this approach. There are types of people out there that just keep pushing if they think they can get one over on you (like a toddler.) The only way to stop the barrage and escalation is to be firm and resolute in your application of the word "NO" when you are in the right.

There's risk to the "NO" approach if the person is truly psychotic and wants to win at any cost, but most of the time, once they realize you won't deal with their BS, they'll find another pushover to annoy.

I didn't stop parking there, it's public parking. I am also not dimming my patio lights. He can take it up with the city, I have a final permit for it. Or I will start using the directional floods that are pointed at his house. I just don't get into yelling matches with him. The only thing I've put my foot down with him on is him dry-cutting silica-filled pavers and poo poo blowing a ton of microfine dust over the fence for me and my kids to breathe. And like I care about some random aerial cable, if he wanted to pay for underground he can give me the money to do it plus the fiber line.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

I had a lovely neighbor so I made sure to follow all rules and regulations. It was weird they could mow the lawn on saturday at 7am next to my bedroom window, but if I played music so I could hear it in the shower at 1030 AM this was a nussiance.
Also they were very particular about us not mowing THEIR property (you know that strip of land on the neighboring lot so your neighbor cant put a fence right up against your driveway). This would also cause issues because of grass blown onto their driveway which was just plain uncalled for.

So we got the ugliest possible way to divide the property line to ensure we didn't mow HER prescious grass. We always mowed to make sure that we'd blow grass from the chute towards their property, and really made sure to take a few days in-between her mowing to us mowing.. Wintertime came and we would make 100% certain to run the snowblower exactly up to our property line the other direction neighbors like 5 houses down would get their sidewalk cleared.

Also the street wasn't a football stadium for teenaged boys to play football in mid-day and make noise especially when our friends grandma lived nextdoor on the other side so we had 2 lawns to football in!

God I remember how much we hated our lovely neighbors but they were so much fun to gently caress with sometimes you have to smile and nod and follow all the rules.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
A few questions that perhaps are half design (other thread) and half not, so just going to ask here.

I need new carpet in a two story house, upper levels is all bedrooms and hallway, so definitely doing that there. On the main floor there's a "master" bedroom that is being used for something else, lets call it a den or family room, but in reality it's a nerd cave with some arcade games and stuff. I'll pay someone to do carpet upstairs and whatnot.

For this den room, I'd like to DIY something, so eyeballing vinyl plank, which I've done before a few times. A few questions re plank that I don thave an answer to:

* I have two arcade games, each are heavy with huge CRT monitors, probably a few hundred pounds? Wondering if anyone thinks this will have an impact on the lifespan. One has casters, the other id put those felt pushing things under to slide around.

* The hallway leading up to this is actual wood. Most plank emulates wood, and this wont go over well. There's a few cases of 'stone' type of plank that exist, but the selection is more slim. Any type of thing look particularly not terrible next to actual real wood?

* Any other DIY friendly flooring types I should consider? I dont want to do a big sheet of laminate as I'll gently caress it up.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
For DIYing: I really like engineered hardwoods, specifically Mannington's --fairly easy to install, look great, and durable. Not a huge fan of LVP--really easy to install, but tends to have a distinctive smell and doesn't feels great under the feet. Laminate floors fall right in the middle--cost less than engineered, super durable, but sound a little weird under the feet.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have higher grade laminate planks. They have overlapping tongues and are also stapled down at each row. The planks in the bathrooms look like marble tile, but have the non-slip surface of laminate.

Arcade cabinets could be placed on wide boards to spread the weight around.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Speaking of floor chat, I’m looking at various LVP brands to cover up my soon to be exposed vintage linoleum. I’ve been looking at the higher end coretec lines but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for specific brands?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Speaking of floor chat, I’m looking at various LVP brands to cover up my soon to be exposed vintage linoleum. I’ve been looking at the higher end coretec lines but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for specific brands?

I'm happy with the Home Depot "lifeproof" line. Had it for about a year now, not that it gets beat up really but so far so good. I stand on it all day long in my office.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

devmd01 posted:

Siding got repaired along with a section of decking that was probably the source of the leak I was experiencing. The company I went with is well known in the area for good work, I’m glad I went with them. Completely professional process the entire way through with people who clearly knew what they were doing.

The work looks good, but I hate whoever "architected" that house. I have a similar roof line junction, or whatever it should be called with an overhang from the front entryway that leaves asmall path that I suspect would allow a raccoon or at least rats into my attic. I need to locate a service that could try to seal that up, but I really don't know what kind of person to contact for that.

Hard to diagram, but basically there is a several foot long cavity or overhang from that entryway portion of the roof and looking up and back at it, if you're lying on your back on the roof, you can see a small opening into the attic. Leaves and dirt also gather around there and need to be swept out periodically. It's really dumb.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
An update!

We spent the last two days getting things ready and then executing on a plan that has been in place for months. To say it is stressful is kind of misleading becaused we have spent so much time planning. It's more "interesting" than anything. Nevertheless, being responsible for such a major physical restructuring of the earth is kind of wild.

On Tuesday we met with our builder and saw the results of a landscaper who spent a few days clearing trees earlier this spring. There was two huge piles of logs at the top of the land -- one was logs that can be either removed or cut down into lumber for the house or for making walkways in the woods or something. The other pile of wood was really good hardwood -- cherry, birch, maple (red and sugar), and a few others. I had asked them to set them aside and when we move in it will be a year dried and I can cut it down for firewood after we move in.

Today we got up and went to our property and the sitework was under way. There was a huge excavator working on removing dozens of stumps and another worker putting in silt fences. It was awesome to watch and our two year old was fascinated. Our main builder was there with his son and and we all watched the excavator work for a few hours and then left for lunch. As we were leaving the surveyor arrived and started marking out the location points of the house (which we decided to move up the hill for a ton of reasons). There's so much going on right now and I'm frankly loving it.

Lots of big stump piles which they are likely to bury in big holes on the nether areas of our land.

And the silt protection fences along with our two year old.

The process today was a weird mix of arriving at the site and feeling like the property was huge and then getting back in the evening to the fully-staked-out area and feeling like it was too small. It's a rollercoaster! We did have a really great day and are so excited to move here as soon as possible. Tomorrow they continue stumping and grading, then they work in the driveway (and curb cut) and work out electric and water trenching.

We did get to do some exploring today. Helluva view for sure.

More later.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is awesome progress. How nice that you get to use some of the lumber right there.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Wild looking, must be thrilling

I'm on some more DIY bullshit and I'm looking for suggestions. I want to pour paver stones, since I've been unable to find what I'm looking for, which is large (~36"x18") concrete slabs. Real basic, just a flat rectangle. None of the home stores have them, and I checked all the local quarries/stone suppliers and anything they have that's remotely close is exorbitantly expensive, although that's due to them being stone rather than poured concrete.

Whatever that's all boring backstory. I want to pour concrete pavers. Ultra basic, just a 36x18x3 block. I don't want to pour them into the ground directly, but rather build a mold and make them one or two at a time and put them into the ground later. I started by building a melamine box, and pouring the concrete right into there. My first attempt is at home curing in my garage right now, so I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's not going to turn out as well as I'd like, and since I want to pour a bunch of these, like 25 to maybe even 60, I'd like the form to be heavily reusable and I'm not sure the melamine will be.

I could use a silicone polyurethane to make a mold for the paver, which I think would accomplish what I'm looking for. It's drat expensive though, and I'd probably end up paying close to $200 for enough to make a mold big enough for a pour that large. They're reusable too, but reusable 60 times? I don't want to have to buy $200 worth of silicone more than once. This is my last resort, I think.

I went looking for premade molds online, and while I couldn't find what I wanted, I did get wondering about buying one of those big plastic storage tubs. I could probably find one in which the bottom is close enough to the shape and size I want, and then I could spray it with a concrete release substance before each pour. It would theoretically be reusable, and even if it poo poo out after a handful of them, it would be cheaper to buy a $10 plastic tub every five pours than ever buying a second set of the silicone mix. (Think https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-106-Qt-Latching-Storage-Box-14998004/206721484)

There isn't a specific question here, I guess. I'm just tossing ideas out there and wondering if anyone has a suggestion I haven't thought of that would allow me to make a large, simple, heavily reusable, ideally inexpensive concrete mold.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This feels like a classic XY problem. What exactly is your end goal here?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Have a stack of concrete pavers I can put into my lawn.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Would it be less hassle to buy larger ones and trim them?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I watched a youtube video where a guy made a reusable mold out of plywood sealed with poly and coated in cooking spray (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuSBwFkCiAw), I think melamine would probably hold up fine, unless the irregular surface will adhere to the concrete too much?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Melamine would be smooth and ideal for this, and if you took the tone to make the mold drafted (with a slight angle) and soaked it in release agent every time they should pop right out.

I'm amazed you can't buy concrete pavers easily though, do they have to be that specific size?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Would it be less hassle to buy larger ones and trim them?
If I knew of larger ones available for purchase (that also aren't hundreds of dollars each), I'd go that route.

Nevets posted:

I watched a youtube video where a guy made a reusable mold out of plywood sealed with poly and coated in cooking spray (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuSBwFkCiAw), I think melamine would probably hold up fine, unless the irregular surface will adhere to the concrete too much?
This is a good video that I hadn't found. His suggestion to use latex as a one-time seal is a solid idea that I'm going to make use of if I stick with a melamine form.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Melamine would be smooth and ideal for this, and if you took the tone to make the mold drafted (with a slight angle) and soaked it in release agent every time they should pop right out.

I'm amazed you can't buy concrete pavers easily though, do they have to be that specific size?
They don't "need" to be anything since it's whatever I want. What I want, though, is nice big pavers. All the ones at the local stores are too small. The closest I came was considering using 16x16 square stones and putting two together to get a similar effect, but my dad pointed out that getting them to stay flush in all directions over time will be basically impossible, so I'm attempting to make my own for now. If this all just ends up way too difficult, I can just settle for those.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

but my dad pointed out that getting them to stay flush in all directions over time will be basically impossible,

:psyduck: what does he think a patio is?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

They don't "need" to be anything since it's whatever I want. What I want, though, is nice big pavers. All the ones at the local stores are too small. The closest I came was considering using 16x16 square stones and putting two together to get a similar effect, but my dad pointed out that getting them to stay flush in all directions over time will be basically impossible, so I'm attempting to make my own for now. If this all just ends up way too difficult, I can just settle for those.

I mean, that's not at all true, but it require prep, materials and technique.

The reason you're not finding poured concrete "pavers" that are a yard long is that it's an unreasonable size and weight to deal with. I can imagine these will survive moving unless they are quite thick, and it's unlikely they will survive without rebar/welded wire in them. And that rebar is unlikely to survive long term without fiber in the concrete mix.

Sirotan posted:

Agreed.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Have you considered having the whole patio poured & stamped to look like big pavers? Or is it less about the look and more about being able to DIY in small chunks?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

To better clarify, this is the effect I'm attempting to achieve:

It would of course be possible to achieve this by buying slate or whatever they may have used in that photo, but I'd guess each of those blocks as a solid chunk of natural stone would easily reach triple digits. Alternatively there's the option of digging all the individual plots at once, framing them, pouring all the concrete at once, etc. That's what I wanted to avoid though, since it's a major project that rips up a huge chunk of my backyard and requires a sizable amount of effort all at once. The appeal of pouring individual blocks is that I can make them as time permits, and slowly dig out individual plots as well.

cakesmith handyman posted:

:psyduck: what does he think a patio is?

Impossible was the wrong word choice. I think we both anticipated that if only two stones are put into a plot, as you might imagine in the photo above, they'd be more likely to drift. This is in comparison to a full patio made of pavers. Is that wrong? I'm here to learn.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah those suckers are gonna weigh at least 150lb each and should probably have some steel reinforcing mesh in them. Concrete has very little tensile strength and I doubt they would move around very well. I would think about pouring them in place (you could use a reusable form there too, and it would just be a simple box). You wouldn't need to make them as thick then I don't think either. Not as DIY friendly, but pouring a slab and stamping it or w/e to make it look like pavers is probably the best option if you want it all to be flat and level.

Your yard might look like a creepy pet graveyard with a bunch of rectangular, dog sized slabs scattered around it too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would frame and pour that in place. Those aren't pavers those are slabs of concrete.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah, another vote for frame and pour in place. I wanna put some giant slabs infront of my house one day to replace the gravel path I got there, so I have thought in similar paths (also done several large pours). Steel mesh would be good, I think you're looking at 8-10cm thickness here.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I get the attraction of doing them one at a time. But, yeah--my vote is frame them all. Maybe mix and pour a few by hand to make sure you know how to finish the concrete. Then call in a truck. Your going to need a level, solid base for the concrete--so even if they are only 3" thick--you'll want a gravel bed under each.

If you want to do them by hand--you'd better think of a way to move and place the slabs once you finish. Kind of a wagon with off road wheels and a casket mover combined... If you them one at a time--look at how concrete countertops are done. You'll be pro after a dozen slabs! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’m on team rent a wacker packer and then frame them out. Looks like a fun project.