Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

God Hole posted:

yeah i think even the heptapods are locked into their life paths, they have no choice in the matter.

they give humanity the tool that grants them access to their entire life's memories and allows for manipulations, for instance Amy Adams snagging a future memory and bringing it to the present, but the giving of the tool and the retrieval of the future memory is what always happened. the future never changed, Amy Adams "preventing" a world war by accessing a future memory is always what was going to happen. she was never not going to learn the language that gave her the ability to do that.

it's the scene of colin farrel catching the red ball in minority report "because it was going to fall" but spread out to feature-length. the ball was never going to fall, colin farrel is there to catch it.

Sounds very Slaughterhouse 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

every couple of years some shithead maths prof wants to make a name for himself and takes a rough model for a number system where you "can divide by zero" to the press, and it works every single time

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

we should just make pi equal 1 and go from there

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
how much water will this horse displace when submerged?

if we assume that by horse the author meant sphere,

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Egg Moron posted:

we should just make pi equal 1 and go from there

let terrence howard write all the math books imo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont care how the fatalism in arrival is rationalized in context i care that its in there at all

the movies not really about math its about how a womans marriage falls apart because she refuses to address her husbands entirely valid concerns about the relationship

that the worldbuilding ends up taking her side doesnt make the overall message any less repugnant

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

like if you hold up 2 fingers and say "How many fingers am I holding up" the correct answer should be "about 0.64 fingers"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont care how the fatalism in arrival is rationalized in context i care that its in there at all

the movies not really about math its about how a womans marriage falls apart because she refuses to address her husbands entirely valid concerns about the relationship

that the worldbuilding ends up taking her side doesnt make the overall message any less repugnant

i think it could be read that she is choosing to embrace the decade or so of happy doomed marriage and raising her doomed daughter

prescience is a curse and even though I was not that into arrival, it delivers the goods in that respect

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The Arrival though

https://i.imgur.com/m03Ion5.mp4

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

he knowingly married a time wizard. some of the blame is on him too for not pushing the issue imo

jk jk you're right, rules set by the universe aside, it is indeed quite hosed up that she chose not to inform her husband beforehand that their marriage was gonna come to a bitter end and their daughter was going to die (and that the movie endorses that decision). would have been a little easier to swallow if they were depicted solemnly (and consensually) facing that fate together

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
She can't choose to tell him because she now experiences time all at the same time. You're mistakenly thinking she has the power to see the future when what is actually happening is that she lives all moments of her life concurrently. She's like the Wormhole aliens from Deep Space Nine.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/squarandco/status/1283429703337021440?p=v

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
bacurau’s loving amazing go watch it. kinda a modern western where the white cowboy-hipsters are the bad guys. only movie I’ve ever seen that actually understands how the us military/blackwater works and shows soldiers as the hosed up racist psychopathic serial killers they really are

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

galagazombie posted:

She can't choose to tell him because she now experiences time all at the same time. You're mistakenly thinking she has the power to see the future when what is actually happening is that she lives all moments of her life concurrently. She's like the Wormhole aliens from Deep Space Nine.

I think the point they were making hinged specifically on putting the scifi gimmick aside and looking at the human relations being presented.
---
Arrival's themes sort of dovetail with Devs, except where Devs makes a definitive statement that scientific determinism applied to human experience is simply recreating fatalist religiosity- but with a lot more math where god(s) was/were, a lot less hope, and a lot fewer ethical restraints- and its acceptance wears away at humanity, Arrival just sort of shrugs and goes "Eh, everything is predetermined and even thinking about it is part of the mechanical process leading to an inalterable outcome set by *`The Universe`*, which is to say, nothing in particular. Well, anyhow, bye." Two very different outlooks on the same idea.

It would be more interesting (and probably not something that could be adequately explored in a movie) if Arrival explored the idea that the language was a deliberately engineered system that would change the human mind so that thinking in it does create a prescience of sorts, but specifically one that can only see a future where they save the aliens. Rather than giving us access to some pure vision of "The Map", it bends the mind in the direction of working to save them as if it were an inevitability. Sort of like next level propaganda technology.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jul 16, 2020

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Doesn't China use nukes against the aliens in Arrival, or is that Russia?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im not sure anyone actually gets around to nuking anyone everybody just sort of freaks out when the aliens start talking about offering weapons while amy adams argues its probably not as violent as it sounds

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
yeah if I remember it's basically "Russia/China/whoever, I forget, says the aliens are offering weapons" and Amy Adams is like "I got that same message but I interpreted it as the aliens offering tools" and then everyone freaks out, and then she's like "the tool is the magic predestination language" and uses it to resolve the plot.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/sitZqq4.mp4

be careful unmuting this one because there is a lout shriek at the end

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is that gordon freeman

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

is that gordon freeman

yeah, Half-Life was pretty much lifted shot for shot from The Arrival

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/dBKe4E5.mp4

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Aglet56 posted:

this... makes no sense. integers aren't "inaccurate estimations," they're a mental model, like all numbers. how many presidents named trump are there? our mental model of "presidents," "people," and "trump" all admit the idea of discrete, countable objects; the answer "one" is not an inaccurate estimation of the "true value." you can also ask the question "what is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter" and the answer is not an integer, but that's only within the mental model that defines a circle, its circumference, and its diameter. you could define the integers to be "1, 2, etc. plus also a special number that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter," and then pi really would be an integer, but you'd have to add a lot of special cases to all of your theorems about integers. none of this is inconsistent or an inaccurate representation of reality, it's just a choice of model.

physics mostly deals with real and complex numbers because those are useful models to describe our observed reality. but real numbers are not "rounded down too much" to give a correct picture of the universe; like all models, they give good predictions for some phenomenon and require lots of special cases for other phenomenon.

i'm not going to touch the dividing by zero thing since that is internet kryptonite

there is "one President Trump" in that objects are self-identical, sure.

when say "we have x apples" and that's accurate in our symbolic order. the apples aren't identical objects, however. that they are members of a set of x objects of a particular class is a relationship designated by our symbolic order. so we recognize these similar objects as all being apples, and that there are x of them, but regardless of the value of x, that number isn't a product of nature, it's a product of symbolic relations.

technically, it's trivial to say that most measurements we make on a newtownian scale are strictly speaking inaccurate, because we don't have a way of measuring things at what we have reason to believe is the lowest possible scale. there are also huge issues with measurement in science, in that whatever you take as your basic unit for measurement (say the speed of light) gets baked into your model of the entire system in ways which can lead to inaccurate assumptions. (iirc this came up as background material in an article about theorists considering a variable speed of light over the life of the universe to account for inflation, which probably didn't go anywhere but the problem itself with measurement is a fundamental thing).

i'm not really sure if the distinction between "(strictly) inaccurate estimations" and "mental models" you want to draw here is at all meaningful. we have useful mental models which can be used to a great but far from arbitrary precision (and also to use as building blocks for much more complex and potentially accurate models). however, their usefulness and seeming naturalness obscures the fact that they are purely symbols, not natural units. "1," "2," etc are necessary symbols, but the concepts they represent are something we need in order to understand nature, not part of nature itself. pi is much more important to nature- not the number, but the relationship the number describes.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Jul 17, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched Enemy at the Gates. cool movie but incredibly liberal as gently caress

there's one scene specifically at the end where a sidekick decides to do a whole rant about communism out of nowhere and it's like shut up fuckface you killed 80% of the Nazis in WW2 have a pair of fuckin' balls you dickhead

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Egg Moron posted:

the cast is really the thing that Dune has going for it as this point in time

Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård from Deep Blue Sea

should have been John Cena instead of Dave Bautista

the design for the stillsuits sucks, imo, sadly

poo poo's too busy

Honestly if Bautista just plays Rabban like Drax, but everyone treats him like an unhinged, violent, scary psychotic instead of their big loveable oaf buddy, he could work.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Honestly if Bautista just plays Rabban like Drax, but everyone treats him like an unhinged, violent, scary psychotic instead of their big loveable oaf buddy, he could work.

I just wanted cena to be able to say "we have compromised duncan Idaho to a permanent end"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I bought the first Call of Duty game at launch basically because it was Medal of Honor Allied Assault, but an Enemy at the Gates level.

This was when Stalingrad was under-exploited as a video game setting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CavinBGonzalez/status/1283885390189993984?s=19

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

there is "one President Trump" in that objects are self-identical, sure.

when say "we have x apples" and that's accurate in our symbolic order. the apples aren't identical objects, however. that they are members of a set of x objects of a particular class is a relationship designated by our symbolic order. so we recognize these similar objects as all being apples, and that there are x of them, but regardless of the value of x, that number isn't a product of nature, it's a product of symbolic relations.

technically, it's trivial to say that most measurements we make on a newtownian scale are strictly speaking inaccurate, because we don't have a way of measuring things at what we have reason to believe is the lowest possible scale. there are also huge issues with measurement in science, in that whatever you take as your basic unit for measurement (say the speed of light) gets baked into your model of the entire system in ways which can lead to inaccurate assumptions. (iirc this came up as background material in an article about theorists considering a variable speed of light over the life of the universe to account for inflation, which probably didn't go anywhere but the problem itself with measurement is a fundamental thing).

i'm not really sure if the distinction between "(strictly) inaccurate estimations" and "mental models" you want to draw here is at all meaningful. we have useful mental models which can be used to a great but far from arbitrary precision (and also to use as building blocks for much more complex and potentially accurate models). however, their usefulness and seeming naturalness obscures the fact that they are purely symbols, not natural units. "1," "2," etc are necessary symbols, but the concepts they represent are something we need in order to understand nature, not part of nature itself. pi is much more important to nature- not the number, but the relationship the number describes.

you're exactly right in that numbers are a product of symbolic relations, not nature. but that's true of the reals too, not just integers. integers are not imperfect representations of the actual value of some measurement in nature; as you point out, our choice of how to measure something is itself somewhat arbitrary.

to get back to the original point about Arrival, the reason newtonian physics isn't completely deterministic is not that we're rounding too much or something like that. if we developed calipers that were 10x more accurate and supercomputers to crunch measurements that were way more precise, newtonian physics would not get more accurate at the quantum scale. quantum physics is fundamentally a completely different model than newtonian physics and it's the current state of the art for making predictions at microscopic levels, but it's still imperfect and it's ultimately been derived empirically, not from first principles.

there are some godelian arguments to be made about why it might never be possible to develop a completely predictive model of the physical universe, which might be what you're getting at. over the last 5000 years or so we've developed mathematics as a pretty good tool for making predictions of the universe, but it's possible that the universal physical principles that control our physical reality might not actually map closely to our modern mathematics after all.

you may be interested in hamming's responses to The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics, explaining why our perception of physics as "math-like" may be partially selection bias:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Hamming.html

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Poetry is the lowest form of creative writing

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

MizPiz posted:

古池や

蛙飛び込む

水の音

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MizPiz posted:

Jim Morrison posted:

The world on fire ...
Taxi from Africa...
The Grand Hotel...

He was drunk
a big party last night
back going back
in all directions
sleeping these insane hours.

I'll never wake up
in a good mood again.
I'm sick of these stinky boots.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Arrivial is just Slaughterhouse 5 for people that can't count that high

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I watched "The Fall" last night due to people talking about it either here or the RLM thread. Is give it a solid "I enjoyed it". The locations and costumes were very cool, and the little girl was really charming.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

starkebn posted:

I watched "The Fall" last night due to people talking about it either here or the RLM thread. Is give it a solid "I enjoyed it". The locations and costumes were very cool, and the little girl was really charming.

I like it a lot. It's an enjoyable, lush film to watch. You could list faults but none of them are distracting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Best movie directed by a mononymous director? Pretty sure it’s better than anything in McG’s oeuvre

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

Best movie directed by a mononymous director? Pretty sure it’s better than anything in McG’s oeuvre

You forget Catwoman, directed by Pitof.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I like the part in The Fall when the girl says, "Let heem live. let heem live!"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

General Dog posted:

Prozak's SEEKERS - A HAUNTING ON HAMILTON STREET

https://i.imgur.com/mlSgTmX.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Oh and in The Fall it was cool how the Indian in the story was a native American but in her imagination if was the guy she knew who was South Asian. There were other little things like that which were interesting, like how she imagined someone being hanged.

I like a film you can think about the day after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Echo Chamber posted:

I bought the first Call of Duty game at launch basically because it was Medal of Honor Allied Assault, but an Enemy at the Gates level.

This was when Stalingrad was under-exploited as a video game setting.

It's good but the depiction of Soviet tactics is very much outdated ideas from the Cold War era, where our primary source for how the Soviets fought was a bunch of books written by German generals trying to explain how they lost/push the clean Wehrmacht myth for their new American overlords.