Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

DaiRanger would have been straight up impossible to adapt. People freaked out enough over the nonsense in ZyuRanger

Also, what can they possibly use for a final battle? The monsters completely taper off towards the end of the series, and all of the major villains are Japanese actors in leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Also, what can they possibly use for a final battle? The monsters completely taper off towards the end of the series, and all of the major villains are Japanese actors in leather.

I mean, usually late-game villains that are just Japanese actors in leather get replaced with American actors in leather that's less revealing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I mean, usually late-game villains that are just Japanese actors in leather get replaced with American actors in leather that's less revealing.

Weeeeeell not until the Disney era.

Never forget Divatox, Astronema, Trakeena and Vypra

They would have shown just as much skin. It's only later on that PR started getting a bit more cagey with skin. Specifically, Disney. Because Disney is terrified of sex and the idea of sex post the 90s and that's a discussion for another day

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't mind hammerspace drivers, but I do like it when they're actually there for others to also interact with. Like with Zio, Sougo's pulls it from his rear end, but he loses it a few times as well and it even gets destroyed, carried around on a pillow and replaced. It makes the driver less of a means and more of a thing.
This is also what I liked about early 01 where Izu was running around with a briefcase to hand Aruto his poo poo.

How did Ghost use the ugly rear end gold driver for Grateful again? Didn't he slap that on as well?

Burkion posted:

Weeeeeell not until the Disney era.

Never forget Divatox, Astronema, Trakeena and Vypra

They would have shown just as much skin. It's only later on that PR started getting a bit more cagey with skin. Specifically, Disney. Because Disney is terrified of sex and the idea of sex post the 90s and that's a discussion for another day

Vypra's actress may not have been the best, but she sold that outfit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For a second I thought the reason why Dairanger was 'undoable' was like, wanting to avoid the 'descendants of an ancient Chinese clan' part, not wacky monsters of the week, lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

For a second I thought the reason why Dairanger was 'undoable' was like, wanting to avoid the 'descendants of an ancient Chinese clan' part, not wacky monsters of the week, lol

It's more the lack of usable footage and everything related to that. Pretty much that. They'd never be able to show White Ranger and the others together since he's obviously shorter and the series focused on more heavy martial arts which...wasn't helping the show at the time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Junpei posted:

There's also that whole thing where the main weapons they use are basically just sticks, so not only is that the kind of violence easily copied by kids, around the time Dairanger was airing(and thus MMPR Season 1 was airing) there was this huge international controversy surrounding Singapore and their usage of Caning as a legal punishment, so basically Dairanger was a perfect storm of elements that would have been impossible to adapt directly

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, I guess that's fair.

But I've never been a big proponent of the idea that more 'wacky' or 'comedic' Sentai are un-adaptable. I mean, Turbo sucked, yeah, but they managed to do basically the same thing, but right, with RPM, and I actually think that Go-Onger is wackier at times than Carranger. They just realized that being darker meant that their sense of humor had to rely less on wacky slapstick antics involving comedic non-Ranger duos, and more sarcasm and lampshade hanging.

(Still think that Hiroto and Miu are better than Gem and Gemma, btw)

And while I don't see Ninja Storm on any "Best PR Season" lists, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it, and it's the most lampshadey, tongue-in-cheek PR season.

Beast Morphers is a step in the right direction, in that regard. Ben and Betty work in ways that, say, Victor and Monty didn't (mostly I feel due to the fact that despite being wacky slapstick sidekicks, they do genuinely want to help the team, which allows them to be worked into plots more easily), but Steel is consistently one of the funniest parts of it.

Really, I feel like PR would be better if it lost the stick up it's rear end about being so serious all the time.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
heck yeaaaah, my Ultra Q/Seven/Return blurays came in today. i still have to get back to finishing the original series (decided to take a ~week-ish break after hitting the half way point) but i'm glad to have more lined up for when i'm ready. especially interested in stepping back to Ultra Q, love me some black and white 60s scifi, don't even care that there isn't a giant to wrestle the monsters in the last five minutes

the old dvd set of the '66 show kinda kills the spine image lol

Junpei posted:

And while I don't see Ninja Storm on any "Best PR Season" lists, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it, and it's the most lampshadey, tongue-in-cheek PR season.

Lothor is top tier Power Rangers poo poo. i love Ninja Storm

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Homora Gaykemi posted:

heck yeaaaah, my Ultra Q/Seven/Return blurays came in today. i still have to get back to finishing the original series (decided to take a ~week-ish break after hitting the half way point) but i'm glad to have more lined up for when i'm ready. especially interested in stepping back to Ultra Q, love me some black and white 60s scifi, don't even care that there isn't a giant to wrestle the monsters in the last five minutes

Yeah you should probably get the Blu-Ray for the original as well, from what I remember the old DVD set is a little rough in parts cause it was made back in the era where Mill Creek barely cared about anything regarding quality in their releases

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Ideally, I would just keep Lord Zedd as he was better (or at least more entertaining) than the Gorma anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Resubbed to Crunchyroll to start watching some Ultraman. Started with Geed. Can Toba get her own spinoff?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah you should probably get the Blu-Ray for the original as well, from what I remember the old DVD set is a little rough in parts cause it was made back in the era where Mill Creek barely cared about anything regarding quality in their releases

I'm sure the blu rays are probably immeasurably cleaner but I've been finding the dvds watchable enough, especially since I paid like $14 Australian for them shipped from the US like nine years ago

(as a mildly fun point of comparison while I'm digging through my amazon history, that year I also spent $10 for a DVD with the first three episodes of Saban's Masked Rider shipped from the UK, and around $20 for a copy of Masked Rider The First from the US)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Scratchman Apoo posted:

To be fair that's not really a problem they solved since Season 2 just sort of ends, without even anything that could have been a finale like the first season had. Your post made me look it up and the last thing they fought was this guy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think at that point, they knew they were gonna be making a third season and just decided to keep on trucking hey here's Masked Rider.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Junpei posted:

I mean, I guess that's fair.

But I've never been a big proponent of the idea that more 'wacky' or 'comedic' Sentai are un-adaptable. I mean, Turbo sucked, yeah, but they managed to do basically the same thing, but right, with RPM, and I actually think that Go-Onger is wackier at times than Carranger. They just realized that being darker meant that their sense of humor had to rely less on wacky slapstick antics involving comedic non-Ranger duos, and more sarcasm and lampshade hanging.

(Still think that Hiroto and Miu are better than Gem and Gemma, btw)

Beast Morphers is a step in the right direction, in that regard. Ben and Betty work in ways that, say, Victor and Monty didn't (mostly I feel due to the fact that despite being wacky slapstick sidekicks, they do genuinely want to help the team, which allows them to be worked into plots more easily), but Steel is consistently one of the funniest parts of it.

Really, I feel like PR would be better if it lost the stick up it's rear end about being so serious all the time.

Most of the comedy series tend not to do well. You mention Ninja Storm as the self-parody series, but it only gets middling praise when mentioned at all. And it is still far more liked than its contemporaries like Turbo, Operation Overdrive, and Ninja Steel, which are flat out despised.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, it’s still not a great show but I felt that Turbo got a little better after the cast changed and they started to embrace the goofiness of the original Sentai a bit more. It also features the second Power Rangers finale where the bad guys essentially win in the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Turbo always embraced the goofiness, it's just that you wanted it to be more serious when you were a kid and when it wasn't, you decided it was the show's fault.

I've been watching Turbo, it's good and never trying to be serious.

They specifically redesigned two of the villains from Carranger to have MORE goofy faces!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Turbo always embraced the goofiness, it's just that you wanted it to be more serious when you were a kid and when it wasn't, you decided it was the show's fault.

I've been watching Turbo, it's good and never trying to be serious.

They specifically redesigned two of the villains from Carranger to have MORE goofy faces!

Yeah, after seeing and loving Carranger I kind of have a renewed appreciation for Turbo. I also like that one episode featured a side character who was just a straight up rear end in a top hat and didn’t really redeem themselves or befriend the rangers at the end (in fact, Kat flat out tells her off at one point).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, that episode is kind of a jerk to her and then acts like she's the rear end in a top hat for having a natural reaction to having bad poo poo happen to her.

Also she was originally planned to be the new Pink, so presumably it would have been followed up on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, that episode is kind of a jerk to her and then acts like she's the rear end in a top hat for having a natural reaction to having bad poo poo happen to her.

Also she was originally planned to be the new Pink, so presumably it would have been followed up on.

Fair point, I just thought it was kind of an interesting departure from the usual formula.

I still maintain that the show got better after they swapped out the cast and Dimitria stopped doing the whole speaking in questions gimmick though. Hell, even Justin didn’t really annoy me as much as he did to others (apparently his actor is kind of a dick though).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I think at that point, they knew they were gonna be making a third season and just decided to keep on trucking hey here's Masked Rider.

They were making the movie at that point, so yeah. Granted, the movie didn’t connect to anything and had CGI that was hideous, even for the time, but it was still a display of their confidence. After that, they were burning through the Kakuranger footage and setting up plots to move on to dumping the old suits for Ohranger stuff. Then Zeo just kind of stopped and they made the Turbo movie for the next transition. After that, the movies stopped since the franchise was past its peak popularity. They did make the in-series transition to In Space suitability bombastic, though.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I just hated Turbo because it made no sense plot wise. "We're arguably the most powerful Rangers and we won... Anyone else want to trade in our Zeo powers for weaker car poo poo?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LastGoodBoy posted:

I just hated Turbo because it made no sense plot wise. "We're arguably the most powerful Rangers and we won... Anyone else want to trade in our Zeo powers for weaker car poo poo?"

Gotta go fast vroom vroom

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rumor has it that New Generation Heroes Super Galaxy Fight Season 2 is in post-production and will soon appear on YT!

Meanwhile, The Sevengar Show starring Ultraman Zett later today...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

Gotta go fast vroom vroom

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The official Twitter for Kamen Rider Saber just went up. Means announcements'll likely be coming within the next week or so. Hopefully this means we can be done with the stupid grains of saltposting for a couple months.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LastGoodBoy posted:

They made a big deal about everything involving Zeo, from the powers to the zords, to the villains. Then it all stopped: the gear was forgotten and the villains just left. We went from a cosmically powerful crystal vs a near-unstoppable robot empire so we could have cars vs a goofy pirate lady in one sub because:

Add that in with the annoying pandering that was Justin and we see why Turbo was judged so harshly. It was amazing how much the next series surpassed it despite have almost all of the same cast returning.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Trogglodyte posted:

The official Twitter for Kamen Rider Saber just went up. Means announcements'll likely be coming within the next week or so. Hopefully this means we can be done with the stupid grains of saltposting for a couple months.

I, too, am optimistic for a fresh start.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DanganYankee/status/1284165745329336320?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

The spines of the regular releases have cool connecting art on them???? And I've been buying the steelbooks this whole time like a moron!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Faiz has the coolest suits and belts this side of Kabuto. Too bad the show itself isn't on the same level as the design work.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Faiz has the coolest suits and belts this side of Kabuto. Too bad the show itself isn't on the same level as the design work.

I'm still confused that they haven't had voice activated stuff more often than just the Delta Gear.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Has Mill Creek ever said if they have the rights to the old Ultraman anime?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gripweed posted:

Has Mill Creek ever said if they have the rights to the old Ultraman anime?

Yes.

They don't.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's a shame that most of the shows with the coolest suits range from mediocre to terrible. Faiz, Kabuto, Kiva, Wizard, Zero-One...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Yes.

They don't.

Why not? There’s official subs for it on TOKU and Amazon Prime (which is the case for Gridman and other Ultra/Ultra related shows which have been confirmed for release already) so is there some separate rights issue with that particular series or something?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

Yes.

They don't.

shoot

Larryb posted:

Why not? There’s official subs for it on TOKU and Amazon Prime (which is the case for Gridman and other Ultra/Ultra related shows which have been confirmed for release already) so is there some separate rights issue with that particular series or something?

It was co-production with Sunrise, so I assume that the rights for it would have to be negotiated separately from their larger deal with Tsuburaya.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Possibly. That's something that happens with other shows as well.

It might be tied up with whoever animated it, since that wasn't Tsuburaya themselves to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

It was co-production with Sunrise, so I assume that the rights for it would have to be negotiated separately from their larger deal with Tsuburaya.

It was this according to Kevin during the KaijuConline talk.