Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

YaketySass posted:

I'm Japan being the country furthest away from "traditional values".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

papa horny michael posted:

That article isn't a hot take. It's really long and well-researched. This comes up because of increased corporatism of queer spaces, along with pressuring minority groups to only display hetero-normative gender norms. Though the article itself goes into many of this stuff far better than my few statements.

otoh,

https://twitter.com/totallynotdum/status/1284198969975898114?s=21

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If you want a real hot take, wait for the 30 million people to get evicted and then write an article about how the newly homeless straight cis people are appropriating public sex.

this man is a pure idiot. He talks about "Glenn Greenberg" until his chat corrects him. It's beautiful. Also doesn't he make a big deal about how he will say slurs?
https://twitter.com/high_define/status/1265033650464329730?s=20

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
This is why we need age verification, and real names associated with accounts. Although yeah journalists should including random twitter posts in articles

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

That article isn't a hot take. It's really long and well-researched. This comes up because of increased corporatism of queer spaces, along with pressuring minority groups to only display hetero-normative gender norms. Though the article itself goes into many of this stuff far better than my few statements.

plus aren’t they mostly talking about like, having sex in a car or a bathroom and not so much something like in the booth next to you at Denny’s?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone ever liked Catcher in the Rye? I feel like some reform-minded teacher in 1953 Massachusetts campaigned hard for getting something contemporary and relevant to the lives of their all-white boys’ boarding-school students onto the syllabus in place of The Aeneid or The Sorrows of Young Werther and then it just stuck around like dead weight.

I can’t imagine a 15-year-old understanding anything about the world depicted in that novel other than that the bourgeoisie should burn. It’s celebrated by people who have never read for pleasure or English teachers who like it best out of a curriculum where they also have to read The Great Gatsby and Romeo and Juliet for 15 years straight.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It’s fine

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

plus aren’t they mostly talking about like, having sex in a car or a bathroom and not so much something like in the booth next to you at Denny’s?

Yeah, and stuff like this thread.

https://twitter.com/distortjp/status/1284179218516119552?s=20

Where enforcement is largely just oppression of minority groups. The people who molest children in any manner are most often straight people related to the victim, and this sort of scaremongering is also to provide cover against targeting that problem.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Has anyone ever liked Catcher in the Rye? I feel like some reform-minded teacher in 1953 Massachusetts campaigned hard for getting something contemporary and relevant to the lives of their all-white boys’ boarding-school students onto the syllabus in place of The Aeneid or The Sorrows of Young Werther and then it just stuck around like dead weight.

I can’t imagine a 15-year-old understanding anything about the world depicted in that novel other than that the bourgeoisie should burn. It’s celebrated by people who have never read for pleasure or English teachers who like it best out of a curriculum where they also have to read The Great Gatsby and Romeo and Juliet for 15 years straight.

The reading they gave us in high school just sucked, or maybe I just had lovely teachers, but it was almost all so loving dry and dated that none of it felt satisfying to struggle through, you really didn’t get anything out of it. Off the top of my head we had stuff like CitR, Great Gatsby, The Outsiders(?) and a bunch of other absolute bores.

The one good English teacher I had threw Watchmen at us, and that was an eye-opening thrill.

I only came to appreciate Shakespeare because I was getting into heavy metal at the time and my mom sold it to me as being packed to the brim with murder, poison, betrayal, all the grimdark stuff a maladjusted teenage boy would be into.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/olgakhazan/status/1284152450203738112?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

The reading they gave us in high school just sucked, or maybe I just had lovely teachers, but it was almost all so loving dry and dated that none of it felt satisfying to struggle through, you really didn’t get anything out of it. Off the top of my head we had stuff like CitR, Great Gatsby, The Outsiders(?) and a bunch of other absolute bores.

The one good English teacher I had threw Watchmen at us, and that was an eye-opening thrill.

I only came to appreciate Shakespeare because I was getting into heavy metal at the time and my mom sold it to me as being packed to the brim with murder, poison, betrayal, all the grimdark stuff a maladjusted teenage boy would be into.

I think high school is designed to make intellectual inquiry seem like work and so aesthetic pleasure is expressly foreclosed as a possibility. I didn't begin to like literature until college because college reproduces an entirely different ideology and allows you to be an aesthete and won't punish you for curiosity.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i know bappin is sorta cheating but lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Has anyone ever liked Catcher in the Rye?

I read it once when I was 14 and my main takeaway is that the main dude is a dork loser who I didn't want to read about

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I like how the book makes a pimp into a hero.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1284210825033592836

not as hot as other things but i just can't comprehend how people can look at the clinton carceral policies and the bush-obama era national security apparatus and think Trump constitutes some kind of serious departure from the norm

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
it's a really funny book i think

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1284210825033592836

not as hot as other things but i just can't comprehend how people can look at the clinton carceral policies and the bush-obama era national security apparatus and think Trump constitutes some kind of serious departure from the norm

when hillary was secretary of state we literally drone striked a teenage american citizen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

That article isn't a hot take. It's really long and well-researched.

Nah.

quote:

Even SpongeBob Squarepants has a joke about teenagers hooking up in cars at secluded cliffsides.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the op getting clowned on by pretty much everyone is pretty rad

https://twitter.com/protestantwind/status/1284285482751397888

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are people seriously arguing that they should get to gently caress in public. that's weird

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

are people seriously arguing that they should get to gently caress in public. that's weird

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

indigi posted:

i don't know; if only they had written an article about it

like they might be wrong or off base, but seriously, read the loving article before going "oh how totally alien and weird this being i can't communicate with is"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yeah, but I was in my early 30s and reading it for fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taintrunner posted:

the op getting clowned on by pretty much everyone is pretty rad

https://twitter.com/protestantwind/status/1284285482751397888

This is what happens when you let river city girls give you concussions on the reg

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I read Catcher in the Rye at the age of like 12 and totally identified with Holden. The world IS a hostile place full of phonies!

Then I reread it like 5 years later for an English class and thought he was a whiny bitch.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is what happens when you let river city girls give you concussions on the reg

eh, the author isn't very articulate and seems to have a reputation, but as a reply to the article, this reads as a homophobic slur that directly equates wanting to not be unduly (more than a straight cis upper class white person would be) harassed having sex in places like park washrooms, cars parked in the woods at night, etc, with flashing people. the author's underlying point is that queer people might not have a private space where they can have sex without being outed and facing severe consequences. even if they're right to mock the author, they're being homophobic as gently caress in the process.

although even as a straight white dude i have four roomates and would probably get poo poo for having sex at home on the regular (although i'm too lame for this to be much of an issue). if i did get caught having sex in public though i wouldn't expect more than a rap on the wrist; gently caress, when i was a kid i got caught fingering my gf in her car on a campus and all we got was cheered on. granted, there are so many homeless people around where i live that id' be mostly worried about disturbing someone just trying to sleep.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly just wanted to make a joke about the avatar

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
The article wants to be edgy in its opening, but then walks it all the way back to essentially “please don’t prosecute queer teens for loving in parked cars”, which is a coldass take.

Sorry, but it’s not a good article.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's really appealing to middle-aged adults who vacillate between nostalgia for their own youth and total contempt for actual youths

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mostly just wanted to make a joke about the avatar

fair 'nuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Platystemon posted:

The article wants to be edgy in its opening, but then walks it all the way back to essentially “please don’t prosecute queer teens for loving in parked cars”, which is a coldass take.

Sorry, but it’s not a good article.

The whole idea that everything has to be clickbait is amazingly toxic

Still reckon it's a sign that the writer is using struggle as primarily a means to chase clout and get attention and actually making any progress is a tertiary concern at best

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mantis42 posted:

Then I reread it like 5 years later for an English class and thought he was a whiny bitch.

Wow talk about really identifying with him

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Taintrunner posted:

when hillary was secretary of state we literally drone striked a teenage american citizen

Hillary personally oversaw a loving slave-house.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/catoinstitute/status/1284489108476354561?s=21

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole idea that everything has to be clickbait is amazingly toxic

Still reckon it's a sign that the writer is using struggle as primarily a means to chase clout and get attention and actually making any progress is a tertiary concern at best

I read the article and thought it was indefensible clickbait dirge before I read the bit relating to misrepresenting a child without their consent

I don't even disagree with the ideas raised, its just an obvious hack taking an interesting question, quoting people who seem much more intelligent, then framing it with clickbait for clout like you say. lots of meaningful context is raised, misunderstood, then totally ignored.

There's probably a really good article out there about the intersection of race and sexuality that properly frames the argument as "its hosed up that minority racial queer kids have the most incentive to hook up at concerts or in cars and are also the most likely people to actually be arrested for this" but jesus christ the author thinks ACAB stands for "all cops are bad". inspiringly terrible. Right thread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gross even by their standards

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BasedGalicia/status/1284153168734171142?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011