Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
You could just try to open the regular Discover IT card. Discover was the first card I got myself when I didn't have any credit history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Girbot posted:

You could just try to open the regular Discover IT card. Discover was the first card I got myself when I didn't have any credit history.

I might do this actually, a DiSecured card just seems too limiting for what I need and has more set-up prep than what I was expecting.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

smackfu posted:

I swear when I was in college it was pretty easy to get $1000 or $2000 limit real credit cards with basically no credit history, because they wanted to suck you into the credit life style. Have times changed?

Yes, if you went to college before 2007 or so. That financial crisis made banks tighten up access to credit, and it's never gotten quite as loose as it was. A lot of universities also came up with rules against some of the most predatory practices (free water bottle! Just sign here!)

Also, college students have historically had special status when it comes to getting credit. Banks know that college students tend to come from a wealthier background than the general population of young people, and that a lot have parents willing and able to bail them out of financial mistakes. A 19 year old college freshman will have a lot easier time getting their first credit card than a 23 year old who's either out of college, or never went in the first place.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

Yeah it affects the score as seen on credit karma and mint, I just always assumed the real score the banks used knew better.

The Credit Karma/Mint "FAKO" scores generally track my true FICO scores - the FAKO scores are usually 20 points higher but still in the same range and go up/down at the same times. My FICO via Discover is 795 but Credit Karma says 822, my understanding is that once you get over like 770 its all the same anyway.

Someone was mentioning they have a credit line open longer than they've been alive, but I don't think any banks bother to correct for that even lol. I don't think they know how old you are... maybe they should, because I've heard a lot about people committing fraud by opening up credit accounts in their babies names, and then the kid grows up to a nasty surprise.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Amex is doing their shop small promotion again - went away for a couple years but it’s back and actually quite good

$5 off at any qualifying local business up to 10x, and in my experience basically everywhere that’s not a major chain qualifies

You do have to enroll your card in the promotion to get the $50 though: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/merchant/shop-small.html
I can't tell from reading, does it work at the same place twice?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I think so, I've gotten it grocery shopping twice so far

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xom posted:

I can't tell from reading, does it work at the same place twice?

Yes, it definitely works twice. Unless the terms say differently i'd expect it to work at the same place 10 times as the previous promotions didil.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am going on my bi-monthly grocery shopping trip tomorrow and I have lost track of the best cards for grocery stores. I know Chase CSR was 5x, but that ended in June. I have a Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back, but the Chase pay-it-back feature was too good. Are there any other Chase UR cards doing 5x groceries, or anything other card deals to consider? I only plan to hit 3 big chain stores (dollar store and 2 grocery chains) so the small store Amex thing likely wouldn't apply. Looks like Chase Freedom is Amazon and Whole Foods, and Discover It is restaurants and Paypal.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

I am going on my bi-monthly grocery shopping trip tomorrow and I have lost track of the best cards for grocery stores. I know Chase CSR was 5x, but that ended in June. I have a Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back, but the Chase pay-it-back feature was too good. Are there any other Chase UR cards doing 5x groceries, or anything other card deals to consider? I only plan to hit 3 big chain stores (dollar store and 2 grocery chains) so the small store Amex thing likely wouldn't apply. Looks like Chase Freedom is Amazon and Whole Foods, and Discover It is restaurants and Paypal.

CSR isn't 5x on groceries anymore (though it is 5x on Instacart) but you can still pay yourself back @ 1.5cents per point through September. I'd recommend continuing to take advantage of that over the BCP as long as you (a) still have points to burn and (b) aren't planning on using those UR for travel in the short to medium term.

There was also a targeted Citi ThankYou point offer for 10x on groceries through september (up to 2500 points, so not particularly amazing).

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Parrotine posted:

I might do this actually, a DiSecured card just seems too limiting for what I need and has more set-up prep than what I was expecting.
If you thought you needed secured cards for credit building, and are a member of a credit union ask them about building credit.

That's how I got my start, they printed me a piece of paper that told me all the factors that build your score, saw my income history and approved me for their own 2k card when other places only would do $500 or tell me to pound sand.

Also they can offer you a secured loan to build history, same concept as a card, but let's say you loan the bank 500 and pay it off in a year....
The credit union would only charge you like $2 in interest and it'll build credit.

Granted with the card you could access the money, but this way is autopilot payments building history, the payment schedule does all the work for you.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I have a chase sapphire preferred card that will need to be renewed next month. I currently put about 2k a month on it and it's the card I use for everything. Is it worth renewing for $100 a year at this point? Chase is offering me a promo for signing up for a freedom, should I downgrade the preferred to that?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just floating this for the new posters, good deals in here.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

I have a chase sapphire preferred card that will need to be renewed next month. I currently put about 2k a month on it and it's the card I use for everything. Is it worth renewing for $100 a year at this point? Chase is offering me a promo for signing up for a freedom, should I downgrade the preferred to that?

You don't get a bonus if you product change with Chase.

If you're taking advantage of "Pay yourself back" feature to get statement credits at the CSP's 1.25 cents per point on your grocery etc purchases, there's no reason not to keep the preferred.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nice signup bonus available on the Freedom cards now:

"Chase Freedom/Freedom Unlimited: $200 Bonus + 5% Back On Groceries (Up To $12k) First Year"

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-chase-freedom-freedom-unlimited-200-bonus-5-back-on-groceries-up-to-12k-first-year/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

astral posted:

CSR isn't 5x on groceries anymore (though it is 5x on Instacart) but you can still pay yourself back @ 1.5cents per point through September. I'd recommend continuing to take advantage of that over the BCP as long as you (a) still have points to burn and (b) aren't planning on using those UR for travel in the short to medium term.

There was also a targeted Citi ThankYou point offer for 10x on groceries through september (up to 2500 points, so not particularly amazing).

You can also do the pay yourself back at restaurants (including orders from doordash or grubhub, not sure about Uber Eats since I have never used them) so if you are spending any money at restaurants it'd be better to use the pay yourself back for those charges and use the BCP for groceries unless your goal is just to liquidate points. You get 1.5 cent per point redeeming the groceries but you only get one point per dollar spending money on groceries so the 6% back from BCP is four times the earnings.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 24, 2020

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm looking for a new main credit card and I'm a little unsure what would best serve my buying habits. Currently I have JetBlue card which until recently I was using for airline points for cross country flights back to see family. I moved within driving distance so those points are sort of wasted now. I also have a Amazon rewards card which is fine for cash back on all the crap I buy on amazon but I've Never gotten more than $100-200 a year in points. I spend anywhere from $1500-3000 a month in Credit Cards. I don't mind paying a yearly fee. If I had to guess I spend the most money on groceries and eating out. What is the current go-to card around here?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm looking for a new main credit card and I'm a little unsure what would best serve my buying habits. Currently I have JetBlue card which until recently I was using for airline points for cross country flights back to see family. I moved within driving distance so those points are sort of wasted now. I also have a Amazon rewards card which is fine for cash back on all the crap I buy on amazon but I've Never gotten more than $100-200 a year in points. I spend anywhere from $1500-3000 a month in Credit Cards. I don't mind paying a yearly fee. If I had to guess I spend the most money on groceries and eating out. What is the current go-to card around here?

Citi Doublecash is the best all-around cashback card.

If you want to put in a little more effort and get a little more cashback, then you can get the Citi and a Discover IT or Chase Freedom. They have rotating 5% cashback categories.

Us the 5% cards on the categories and the Doublecash for everything else.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Citi Doublecash is the best all-around cashback card.

If you want to put in a little more effort and get a little more cashback, then you can get the Citi and a Discover IT or Chase Freedom. They have rotating 5% cashback categories.

Us the 5% cards on the categories and the Doublecash for everything else.

I have trouble recommending the double cash in a world where they took away so many of its benefits. I'd recommend any of the other 2% cards over it, really (like Fidelity, even Paypal, or that upcoming SoFi 2% card).

Frankly, with the 5% back on groceries offered on new signups of the Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited for the first year right now I'd have trouble recommending much else. I'm not sure if it's available for referrals at this point, but it seems to be available at these public pages:

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back-credit-cards/freedom/card?iCELL=61FY
https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back-credit-cards/freedom/unlimited

If you already have those cards, I'd recommend looking into the Amex Blue Cash Everyday or Blue Cash Preferred, depending on how much of that spend is grocery.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Amex Blue Cash preferred is 6% cashback on groceries up to 6k, for a $95 annual fee. It's also 3% back on gas, so in the olden days it was my backup when I was in-between categories on the Discover or Freedom. I also stocked up Airbnb gift cards for our vacations at my local Ralphs, maxing out the 6k limit when I came upon my renewal date.

Now that I don't drive anywhere and the other cards are offering temporary bonuses for groceries it doesn't get used as much, but its a solid option if you spend a decent amount on groceries and gas. The basic Blue Cash is no-fee, but only 3% at grocery stores and maybe 2% at gas? I have one of those as well, but stashed away in a drawer.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

The basic Blue Cash is no-fee, but only 3% at grocery stores and maybe 2% at gas? I have one of those as well, but stashed away in a drawer.

Amex is pretty strict about not having both Blue Cash Everyday and the Preferred (maybe they weren't originally?). There was also an old Blue Cash that had a structure like 0.5% normally, 1% on bonus categories for your first $6500 and then 5% on its bonus categories after that until you reached $50,000.

Other than that Amex has the Membership Reward cards Amex Everyday and Amex Everyday preferred, which have similar structures to the BCE/BCP but give MR points instead of cashback.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Girbot posted:

So I tried applying for a regular Discover IT card and it rejected my application. Not sure how you did it since apparently you need a credit score of at least 700 to qualify.

Anyone else got some suggestions here? Not looking for any 'Secured' type of card since those require me to throw down a deposit fee + an amount to establish a credit line before making my first payment on top of that investment. I am also not a member of a credit union.

White Light fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 31, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Secured is the way to go when you're just starting out. Do something with a small limit and just put a tiny expense on it. Then after a year sign up for a real card with another bank.

Thanks to all the crap going on, lenders are tightening up.

Discover should possibly have offered you the secured card if you were rejected for the IT. If not, one option might be to talk to their reconsideration department and ask.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Anyone have any luck with retention offers recently for Amex Platinum (or associated cards)? Wondering if they've changed the algorithm at all due to the pandemic, and especially with all the travel benefits being worthless for a while. I got one last year, but it looks like most don't get two in a row unless it's a big spend account.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Parrotine posted:

Anyone else got some suggestions here? Not looking for any 'Secured' type of card since those require me to throw down a deposit fee + an amount to establish a credit line before making my first payment on top of that investment.
With a secured card the deposit is what funds secures the credit line. Many secured cards have a subscription fee, but I'm not familiar with them charging a one-time fee to process the deposit if that's what you mean.

If Discover rejected you, you can try Citi Secured or Capital One Secured, which have no subscription fees. Citi targets no-credit customers while Capital One targets bad-credit customers and has a high rate. Your best course of action is to pay no interest in either case. Do not apply for a credit card to finance a budget gap.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 1, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I am starting to wonder if they were conflating "the amount the bank wants you to deposit which will become the credit line" with "I have to pay this in addition to whatever my deposit will be".

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Can someone drop a referral to the Discover IT Miles card? There isn't one in the goon spreadsheet. $100 for both referrer and referee.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

THF13 posted:

Can someone drop a referral to the Discover IT Miles card? There isn't one in the goon spreadsheet. $100 for both referrer and referee.

I think you used to be able to pick which IT card from the referral? Maybe they changed it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If someone has a link I can add a tab for it to the page. It's not a big deal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I use the Discover IT Miles card, the referral is for any Discover card: https://refer.discover.com/s/piobmoore

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I use the Discover IT Miles card, the referral is for any Discover card: https://refer.discover.com/s/piobmoore

With this I get the $100 offer for Discover it Miles, with the one in the spreadsheet it's for the the regular Discover It with a $50 statement credit. I don't see an option on either to choose a different card, just a color design for that card. :shrug:

edit: Approved! Enjoy the $100

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cheers!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello goons, I'm looking for recommendations for cashback cards or current sign-up bonuses.

I'd appreciate a bit of help figuring out what my next step should be now that I've got the basics taken care of, and I've got a solid financial / credit foundation to build off of.

-Current cards: Logix FCU Rewards (1.5% flat, excellent credit union), Citi Costco, Target Red, Chase FU.
-Credit score: 788 (according to Credit Karma)

Logix is my primary card, a flat 1.5% back and Logix has always treated me well. Costco is for all my gas (4%), restaurant & travel (3%, though I never really use this), and Costco purchases (2%). Target card offers a nice 5% back there. Between these, I feel like I've got all my bases covered, and I'm not sure if there's much else to be considering. I'm currently using the Chase FU for the $200 SUB, but plan to go back to Logix when that's used up.

I've applied for the Citi Double Cash, but they've sent me requests for my 2019 tax info. I had lots of investment income but very little earned income for 2019, so I don't want to send that in (don't want it to potentially effect my Costco card either), but I've earned plenty of money in 2020, so I feel good about my chances next year. I'm also considering the Fidelity 2%. 2% seems to be the best $0AF flat cashback rate one can get at the moment, is that the case?

I'm interested in a no-AF card that actually adds something to my portfolio. The Citi DC seems to be the best no-AF flat cashback card out there. Not too interested in dealing with rotating categories across multiple cards, or splitting up my cashback rewards across too many accounts. I feel like the only reason to apply for a new card right now would be either a great SUB or to boost my credit limit, though I'd love to be proven wrong here. I'm fine with chasing SUBs if that's my best bet, but I'd need to finish up the CFU SUB before I move on to something else.

So far I've considered the Chase Freedom and Amex's $0AF cards.

The Chase Freedom would probably be easy to get, but I'm completely uninterested in tracking rotating categories, having to activate categories, or tailor my spending to that quarter's bonuses, so I don't think I'd ever carry the card on me or use it regularly. I'm also not too interested in navigating Chase's Ultimate Reward environment, as I don't do much traveling and I plan to stop using the CFU after earning the bonus. It could still be worth it for the credit limit increase or SUB, though. Speaking of, if I'm currently working on the CFU's SUB, would that exclude me from also getting the CF's SUB? Are they both obtainable, or mutually exclusive?

Amex also has some great SUBs that caught my attention, but none of their $0AF cards seem to offer much beyond what I currently have. The Blue Cash Everyday card has a real nice SUB, but the 3% on groceries is the only real advantage it has over the Citi DC, and I already have Costco and Target cards for most of my groceries. The Amex EveryDay card offers Membership Rewards Points, how do those function?

Many thanks.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 2, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I added the discover it miles to the goon ref sheet. If you have a link feel free to add. Note I do not add any links myself for other goons.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I added the discover it miles to the goon ref sheet. If you have a link feel free to add. Note I do not add any links myself for other goons.

Trying to add my info but unable to do so. nm, figured it out. EDIT: except how to enter the referral bonus

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 2, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Trying to add my info but unable to do so. nm, figured it out. EDIT: except how to enter the referral bonus

You can't edit the front page. I'll add that line in a sec.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

I don't want to pay the annual fee for my CSP anymore so I got a Freedom Unlimited for the intro bonus and extra points on groceries. Of course the first thing I bought when the card came was some fabric shipped from Canada. I got charged a 3% FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE for the first time in my life. I guess I assumed all cards waived this by default, but maybe only "travel" cards do? I don't purchase foreign goods that often, and won't be traveling anytime soon due to COVID, but I'm kind of annoyed that now I'll need to find another new card before I do. Plus I'm already paying a bunch for international shipping; this fee sucks. Thanks for listening.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Etuni posted:

I don't want to pay the annual fee for my CSP anymore so I got a Freedom Unlimited for the intro bonus and extra points on groceries. Of course the first thing I bought when the card came was some fabric shipped from Canada. I got charged a 3% FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE for the first time in my life. I guess I assumed all cards waived this by default, but maybe only "travel" cards do? I don't purchase foreign goods that often, and won't be traveling anytime soon due to COVID, but I'm kind of annoyed that now I'll need to find another new card before I do. Plus I'm already paying a bunch for international shipping; this fee sucks. Thanks for listening.

Most annual fee cards don't have the fee, but a few non-AF cards also don't. I think the Discover IT card has a foreign transaction fee.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Etuni posted:

Were you not using the 'pay yourself back' feature with the CSP? 1.25cents per point when redeemed against grocery and certain other category charges through 9/30.

What'd you do with your CSP? Hopefully product changed it into something?

Foreign transaction fees vary by card and issuer.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Most annual fee cards don't have the fee, but a few non-AF cards also don't. I think the Discover IT card has a foreign transaction fee.

Pretty sure Discover is one of the banks that does not. Capital One does not, but otherwise they are pretty terrible so my recommendation is to avoid them.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

astral posted:

Were you not using the 'pay yourself back' feature with the CSP? 1.25cents per point when redeemed against grocery and certain other category charges through 9/30.

What'd you do with your CSP? Hopefully product changed it into something?

Foreign transaction fees vary by card and issuer.

I still have it, going to cancel it next week after I finish transferring all my subscriptions and auto-payments, and pay myself back the last of my UR points. That feature has definitely been super helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Discover, Capital One, Barclays, and some specific cards like the Bank Americard Travel Rewards have no annual fee, rewards and no foreign transaction fee.
Also worth mentioning, the Schwab checking account has no foreign transaction fees and waives ATM fees. Great when traveling as you can pull local currency out of local ATMs with no fees at all. Fidelity's waives (unofficially) the foreign transaction fee for ATM withdrawals as well but does not waive it for normal purchases.