Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

in my experience the only good sours are belgian, any that are good and not belgian either have belgian involvement (ommegang pale sour) or were purely accidental
if you see Duchesse Cherry check it out of you like fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
T.Joe's "Kentucky Bourbon" probably lacks any sort of pedigree (I'm assuming but won't be arsed to check: whiskey snobs being literally worse than wine snobs, almost to the level of audiophiles) but it's q.deece.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
actually went to the liquor store this afternoon and escaped with gin and vodka. still no mixers, though :sigh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prefect posted:

actually went to the liquor store this afternoon and escaped with gin and vodka. still no mixers, though :sigh:

Just use a couple of plastic cups to shake them, or even just a vigorous circular motion of the wrist? That should provide v.sufficient mixing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schadenboner posted:

Just use a couple of plastic cups to shake them, or even just a vigorous circular motion of the wrist? That should provide v.sufficient mixing?

i'm either going to go to cvs at five tomorrow morning to buy some soda, or i'm going to experiment with a drink i call "vodka and ice cubes"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

T.Joe's "Kentucky Bourbon" probably lacks any sort of pedigree (I'm assuming but won't be arsed to check: whiskey snobs being literally worse than wine snobs, almost to the level of audiophiles) but it's q.deece.

I clicked on a bourbon review YouTube out of curiosity and it was hilarious, just tryhard beard dudes saying flavor words out loud all
leather
vanilla
orange peel
cranberry
wheat
etc.
like they just jacked off to somm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my current favorite sipping drinks:
larceny bourbon
glenmorangie [base version]
zacapa 23 [when it goes on sale]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Dunno, it tastes like bourbon and it makes the screaming of the void somewhat quieter for a short period of time?

:shrug:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
rum is very good to sip and costs like a tenth of the price of whiskies

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

prefect posted:

i'm either going to go to cvs at five tomorrow morning to buy some soda, or i'm going to experiment with a drink i call "vodka and ice cubes"

sounds like vodka on the rocks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Uptime Sinclair posted:

finally tried a sour beer a couple weeks ago. did not care for it
you tried the wrong one!

this is the best thing ever, granted you have to like fruity beers and sour things as a prerequisite

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

sour good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

had a concord dessert wine my dad made two years ago and it is like a tasty jam. set aside the rest of the bottle for tomorrow, but my guess is its gonna be beers and pizza because neither of us want to make dinner by the end of the week

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

qirex posted:

I clicked on a bourbon review YouTube out of curiosity and it was hilarious, just tryhard beard dudes saying flavor words out loud all
leather
vanilla
orange peel
cranberry
wheat
etc.
like they just jacked off to somm

You know, people rightly so dunk on whiskey snobs gatekeeping regular drinkers out of their hobby, but the opposite can be true too.

I mean, who on earth thought that whisky could have _flavors_ and _aromas_, right? And that you would have to try and use _words_ to describe them. Crazy stuff.

Northing worse imo than someone who acts like it's stupid to try to understand and enjoy a drink on a little deeper level. It's fine if you don't enjoy whiskey that way but don't dunk on people who do.

The last thing we need is for someone to feel like it's somehow uncool or snobby to actually smell and taste their whiskey, and thereby dissuading them from deepening their enjoyment. Please don't do that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anyway: sours good, but not all sours are good. I've had some pretty meh ones over the years.

but yeah if you wanna start with the OGs, hit up duchess de bourgogne or rodenbach grand cru

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Northing worse imo than someone who acts like it's stupid to try to understand and enjoy a drink on a little deeper level. It's fine if you don't enjoy whiskey that way but don't dunk on people who do.

The last thing we need is for someone to feel like it's somehow uncool or snobby to actually smell and taste their whiskey, and thereby dissuading them from deepening their enjoyment. Please don't do that.

it's possible to be an enthusiast of something without becoming a cartoon pastiche, fyi

also the two dudes said completely different flavors for the same whiskeys

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
whiskey tastes like oak alcohol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve gotten to a point where if there are flavor notes on a label it gives me a good idea if I’ll like the whiskey or not

couldn’t even begin to try to identify those flavors myself though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

whiskey tastes like oak alcohol

try some highland scotch aged in rum casks

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm not a big scotch drinker because i don't like peat very much, so that limits my choices of scotch. i like it once in a while. and i do like things aged in rum casks. but i mostly drink bourbon or rye

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm not a big scotch drinker because i don't like peat very much, so that limits my choices of scotch. i like it once in a while. and i do like things aged in rum casks. but i mostly drink bourbon or rye

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/balvenie/balvenie-14-year-old-caribbean-cask-whisky/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the glenmorangie 10 year I mentioned above isn't peaty, it's pretty easy drinking

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's loads of scotch's that aren't peaty, or only very lightly peated.

I'd suggest looking at something like Glengoyne, or a speyside like Aberlour or Glenlivet or something.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i've had most of the big name scotches as individual pours at bars, but when it comes time to buy bottles lately i always end up with bourbon. i was about to make an argument like, good scotch is so expensive, etc. but i checked at total wine and a bottle of glenlivet 12 is $27.49!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah there's some good deals out there and bourbon is getting to be really expensive actually.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Super 8 is an incredibly good sour beer imo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Evan Williams is still reasonably priced

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

glenfiddich is very good and not peaty at all.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

so speaking of belgian sours, had a liefmans goudenband tonight

that is a damned fine beer. don't drink it too cold though, right out of the fridge is no good, let it warm up a bit. it's somehow everything at a once, sweet sour bitter dry.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

bare bottle juice science :2bong:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

pictures you can smell

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oneiros posted:

pictures you can smell
              /

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

all you can really say it it’s 51%+ corn mash otherwise they couldn’t get away with calling it Kentucky bourbon for long

prefect posted:

vodka on the rocks is refreshing but you can easily zazz it up with a squirt of lemon or lime juice. still, drinking decent spirits more or less straight is a handy skill to develop

Chris Knight posted:

you tried the wrong one!

this is the best thing ever, granted you have to like fruity beers and sour things as a prerequisite

the one i tried looked exactly like that, it’s probably that i don’t like fruity beers

The Fool posted:

Evan Williams is still reasonably priced
ew 1783 is really really good for the price

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i'm really glad i ordered a new jigger (i keep losing the damned things), because it turns out my ability to estimate while pouring is very, very bad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prefect posted:

i'm really glad i ordered a new jigger (i keep losing the damned things), because it turns out my ability to estimate while pouring is very, very bad
if you drink the same thing a lot you can just use a kitchen scale, quick and easy

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my lowball glasses have lines

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like these for measuring, kicks the poo poo out of a jigger plus metric, teaspoons, tablespoons, etc. in fact this is probably the kitchen thing I use the most of all

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

prefect posted:

same but in my case i never had one. turns out the shot glass i thought i knew the onces on was way off and i was doing double pours for a bit :shepface:

on the plus side id only have one and feel like it hit me harder than pretimes. i was feeling pretty happy that id figured out ratios by eye and taste but that wasnt the result i was looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just pour until it feels right