Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

this is the most important hajimari news

Nah, most important was the Machias-Dudley team up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

OddObserver posted:

Nah, most important was the Machias-Dudley team up.

Crossbellian Machias and Erebonian Dudley*

EDIT: HE JUST JOINED MY TEAM IN ZERO AND HE LITERALLY HAS A CRAFT CALLED SHOTGUN AND I'M LITERALLY DYING OF LAUGHTER. I WAS JOKING, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SUPPORT MY lovely JOKES!

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 16, 2020

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I just finished Chapter 6 of SC last night. Falcom are amazing and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect moment than Estelle and Joshua's reunion. I can't believe there's still two whole chapters to go. :psyduck:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The little purple lights dangling over Altina's head look like she's impressed by Beryl's proclamation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Holy heck the bit of Zero where you take KeA around trying to figure out what is up with her is so amazingly cute.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

unimportantguy posted:

I just finished Chapter 6 of SC last night. Falcom are amazing and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect moment than Estelle and Joshua's reunion. I can't believe there's still two whole chapters to go. :psyduck:

please be excited for Chapter 8, where they appear to have secretly hid about 40% of the game

I need to get back to SC but, after spending 4+ hours a day on FC/SC for a couple weeks, seriously lost all my motivation the moment I hit that chapter :smith: I think in a few days I'll be at the sweet spot of "far enough that I'm no longer burned out" but "close enough I still remember how to play the game"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

please be excited for Chapter 8, where they appear to have secretly hid about 40% of the game

I need to get back to SC but, after spending 4+ hours a day on FC/SC for a couple weeks, seriously lost all my motivation the moment I hit that chapter :smith: I think in a few days I'll be at the sweet spot of "far enough that I'm no longer burned out" but "close enough I still remember how to play the game"

I genuinely think going right from the first chapter of a Trails game to the second is the worst way to enjoy them. I feel like you need at least a few months between them to really not get burned out.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think going right from the first chapter of a Trails game to the second is the worst way to enjoy them. I feel like you need at least a few months between them to really not get burned out.

I devoured CS1 and 2 and Sky's first chapter but yeah I burned out haaard on SC.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Do you mean, like, chapters within a single game or full blown Trails games in their entirety? Because if the former, that feels pretty silly unless you like playing your JRPGs over the course of a literal year, and if the latter abraham linksys is talking about an individual chapter within Sky SC that is notoriously slow and tedious.

For many it was honestly kind of a moot point because there were periods of forced waiting for new translated releases. Playing Zero and Azure back-to-back was literally the first time I just had two Trails games immediately available to play at once, and honestly it didn't bother me at all as I really enjoyed the pacing and structure of the Crossbell games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Do you mean, like, chapters within a single game or full blown Trails games in their entirety? Because if the former, that feels pretty silly unless you like playing your JRPGs over the course of a literal year, and if the latter abraham linksys is talking about an individual chapter within Sky SC that is notoriously slow and tedious.

For many it was honestly kind of a moot point because there were periods of forced waiting for new translated releases. Playing Zero and Azure back-to-back was literally the first time I just had two Trails games immediately available to play at once, and honestly it didn't bother me at all as I really enjoyed the pacing and structure of the Crossbell games.

I mean the full games. And I assumed from them saying "I need to get back to SC but, after spending 4+ hours a day on FC/SC for a couple weeks, seriously lost all my motivation the moment I hit that chapter" that they had gone right from FC to SC.=

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed.

CS style turbo almost completely alleviates this, but I'm waiting to replay 1-3 in JP, just to avoid any potential burnout for 4.

Bout to do Zero's final chapter, and then I'll have every Trails game currently playable finished since we got SC in english 5 years ago.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I just got to Chapter 8, and as soon as they hit me with the Arts won't work thing I just went "maybe I'll get to this tomorrow instead." I'm about 100 hours deep into the series at this point and I'm definitely looking to play something else for a bit before I move on to 3rd, if only to take a break from the intensity of SC's story.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I didn't think chapter 8 was that bad, just get that cloak orb (no enemy encounters) and you can rush all the tower roofs and do all the quests without running into mostly useless enemies. Just load up on the heavy hitters, worst part was that stupid giant worm slaying quest which was tough when I was down to 2 arts users.

Trying to finish up Tokyo Xanadu but this game doesn't seem to want to end, first a mini ending, then an EPILOGUE ending, and now an "after story" ending what the hell...

infraboy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 18, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

infraboy posted:

I didn't think chapter 8 was that bad, just get that cloak orb (no enemy encounters) and you can rush all the tower roofs and do all the quests without running into mostly useless enemies. Just load up on the heavy hitters, worst part was that stupid giant worm slaying quest which was tough when I was down to 2 arts users.

Trying to finish up Tokyo Xanadu but this game doesn't seem to want to end, first a mini ending, then an EPILOGUE ending, and now an "after story" ending what the hell...

yeah tokyo xanadu's various endings feel more necessary than how long cold steel 2 drags itself out; but they absolutely benefit from you taking a break and setting the game down for a while at each one

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Gorelab posted:

Holy heck the bit of Zero where you take KeA around trying to figure out what is up with her is so amazingly cute.

Played this today and it was incredible. Sometimes a family is two dads, two mums, a giant wolf, and an adorable amnesiac daughter.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Hocus Pocus posted:

Played this today and it was incredible. Sometimes a family is two dads, two mums, a giant wolf, and an adorable amnesiac daughter.

And a Grandpa.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

In general I feel like the endings of Falcom games tend to be pretty dragged out. You reach a point and think you're an hour or two from the ending and then the game goes for 5-8 more hours. That's been a pretty consistent experience with their games I think as long as I've been playing them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Can't really relate, I really hate the 'Final boss defeated, wrap it up asap" style of writing. Taking care of loose ends and going on for a few more hours is vastly preferred. The Epilogue of CS2 really improved the game a ton for me.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

MythosDragon posted:

Can't really relate, I really hate the 'Final boss defeated, wrap it up asap" style of writing. Taking care of loose ends and going on for a few more hours is vastly preferred. The Epilogue of CS2 really improved the game a ton for me.

sometimes it's that but also sometimes it's multiple layers of seemingly final dungeons before you get to the resolution, like in tokyo xanadu or sky SC

i honestly kinda like the normal/bittersweet ending of tokyo xanadu though, it's well executed and undoing it with a true ending feels like they didn't have confidence in it. the afterstory papers over it decently enough though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the way Sky FC did it, where it has a little bit of an post-game to wrap up some stuff and even give you a few more sidequests before getting to the cliffhanger. CS2 having two more full dungeons, especially ones as inconsequential as they were (as fun as the mirrors in the Reverie Coridor were), felt like a bridge too far.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

the first epilogue of CS2 was fun, the second was a big huge waste of time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the CS2 epilogue is where the Radio Trista guy says "What is this happy horseshit?!" and Anton proclaims his love for Sharon so it will never be a complete waste

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
final-ultimate-last boss of CS2: well, i'm here i guess. i should let you know that beating me has no merit or reward, just want to get that out of the way. anyway, you ready to throw down?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Apraxin posted:

final-ultimate-last boss of CS2: well, i'm here i guess. i should let you know that beating me has no merit or reward, just want to get that out of the way. anyway, you ready to throw down?

thats the part of that ending that actually works

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

CS2 is a journey with a single goal; To return to normalcy. The game would only be half as good without the epilogue actually giving you that no matter how incomplete the goal was finished. Also the best final boss music in history. To a Glimmering Tomorrow is the single most beautiful theme on the planet and I will cry at the slightest hint of hearing it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Decided to do Musse's bonding event in Chapter 4, after the Keep part. Now I feel like III would be much better if she weren't in it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I posted this in the switch thread, but crossposting here. I'm thinking of getting cold steel 3 despite not playing the others.

I played trails in the sky but bounced off of it because of the combat. I love the idea of a jrpg with mature and interesting world building but the actual game play needs to not be tedious. The first Xenoblade was the perfect balance of engaging combat and worldbuilding for me.

I heard cold steel three makes the combat challenging and interesting compared to it's predecessors. Would it be loving up to start the series here?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yes

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I posted this in the switch thread, but crossposting here. I'm thinking of getting cold steel 3 despite not playing the others.

I played trails in the sky but bounced off of it because of the combat. I love the idea of a jrpg with mature and interesting world building but the actual game play needs to not be tedious. The first Xenoblade was the perfect balance of engaging combat and worldbuilding for me.

I heard cold steel three makes the combat challenging and interesting compared to it's predecessors. Would it be loving up to start the series here?

First: Did you set up turbo? Sky with Turbo, and Sky without Turbo are two different beasts.
Second: Did you enjoy filling out the Affinity chart in X1 barring inane quests? Cuz most of trail's worldbuilding is done through talking to npcs which can get tedious and even mess with the flow of the main plot a bit if you're not in the mood for it. The main plots still have more than any other series, but its not nearly as pronounced.
Third: If it wasnt the slowness that bothered you, but the field and general style of gameplay, its still the same thing, just refined greatly and in full 3D with a better version of P5's face button controls.
Fourth: CS3 is closer to the 4th arc than it is is to the 3rd game of the 3rd arc. But its a sequel to all 3 prior arcs from the getgo basically. So if say, you enjoy experiencing prequels despite already knowing a ton of details about them from the main series and will go back later when you love the series, and don't mind the fact that the game relies on already being invested in these characters, It's not the worst idea in the world to start with CS3, but if you fail to get into it, you absolutely shouldn't use it as a reason to not try again.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Do you enjoy turn based combat? Using Xenoblade as an example of engaging combat is making me wonder. If it's not your cup of tea then tbh this series might not be for you

If you like turn based combat, I'd suggest CS1. It is the series' second entry point and my wife, who hadn't finished a jrpg in over a decade because she would always get burnt out, finished it and enthusiastically moved onto CS2 and finished it not even a month later

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

combat in the cold steel games is generally snappie and enemies are mostly less damage spongy. id say you should at least start with cold steel 1. cold steel 3 isnt impossible to understand or anything but it does expect you to care about the characters and world already, and if you dont have that buy in a lot of what it does might not land, especially when returning characters are only around for a scene or two but the game acts like they're very important to the plot and the protagonists.

cold steel 1 and 2 are on pc and they arent exactly crysis.

and i was gonna ask your definition of mature but if you were into xb1 you should be fine

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah. Cold Steel III takes plot threads from every single game that came before it and kind of assumes you're sort of familiar with them. A lot of impact is lost if you're not.

Also, "combat challenging and interesting" is a bit of a stretch. Rather, there's a handful of mechanics and when you're familiar with how they work, you can break the game in half. If you don't capitalize on them, battles can quickly become tedious.

BTW, did you play Trails in the Sky close to its PC release or on the PSP? Because XSeed added Turbo mode to the PC versions later that make battles go by a whole lot quicker since you can speed up the animations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I in general feel that Trails fans way over emphasize the necessity to play previous games in order to enjoy current ones, and Falcom themselves supposedly tried to position CS3 as an entry point in some respects. But even if you paper over all of the references, character re-introductions, or elements that are meant to solicit reactions from previous game stories, in a vacuum I just struggle to understand what a truly new Trails player would GET out of a CS3-only playthrough. You certainly can't play expecting to get a full story arc out of it, and without the existing impetus on wrapping up plot threads from older games is its ending really going to be enough to make people want to play CS4 to get that resolution? I honestly don't think that's that super likely.

And with CS1 and CS2 being ported to PC and PS4 it's like, what are you actually gaining by playing CS3 first other than to be in the current plot conversation right away? Those games are by no means slouches compared to what CS3 brings to the table (I'd argue CS3 actually plays worse than either even) and are probably going to be smoother introductions in the first place. It honestly feels like the best of both worlds if you want something more modern than Sky/Crossbell but also want something to actually introduce to the story.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

world is a gently caress
play the trails games in order

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The combat in the sky series is actually pretty good once you start getting abilities and quartz combos, The story is excellent and well written, all the games are going to have some slow sections.

I was also super dumb and didnt know where the turbo key was for the PC version until after like chapter 1

I started on the cold steel series and really enjoyed all 3 so I went and played through all the Sky games then the 2 Crossbell games and then REALLY understood a lot of the back story. It made replaying all the CS games enjoyable all over.

I will say everyone will want to play every game before CS IV North America release, because just about every character makes an appearance.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I have several friends that just never thought to set the game up before I told them that there was a turbo button they could set up. I've not played a game without checking settings first since I was like, 10, so it baffles me.

Beat Zero last night btw, so I'm proud to be fully caught up with the series till CS4 comes out and Geofront releases Azure.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The biggest annoyance with going back to Sky for me was enemies not being visible on the map unless you're close and the fact that for ambushes they could hit any of your giant sprawl of party members. I 100% made it worse by always turboing around the field though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gorelab posted:

The biggest annoyance with going back to Sky for me was enemies not being visible on the map unless you're close and the fact that for ambushes they could hit any of your giant sprawl of party members. I 100% made it worse by always turboing around the field though.

Thankfully turbo also made accidental combat encounters (from turboing around the map) reasonable, as opposed to how obnoxiously slow it normally is.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Oh yeah I don't think I basically ever let go of turbo when playing Sky or Zero because the animations in both feel like they're at like half speed by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I didn't discover the turbo button until chapter 5 of Sky SC. I played FC entirely without turbo. It probably helps that I treated the games like a little bedtime story I was telling myself each evening.