Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/CallemAronsen/status/1282231355355480065?s=20

well this is a new type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

lol hes right, american fundamentalism will spell the death of every other mass culture

the first paragraph sounds kinda chuddy but the second paragraph reads more like a fatalistic anti-imperialist take

as a whole, it reads to me as "the saudis did 9/11 because of american cultural imperialism, but they're probably hosed no matter what they do" not raging islamophobia

i could be reading that too charitably, but if that's the crowning piece of evidence, it seems remarkably weak

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

more history, less anime, otherwise looks like a stereotypical 4channer to me?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Azathoth posted:

the first paragraph sounds kinda chuddy but the second paragraph reads more like a fatalistic anti-imperialist take

as a whole, it reads to me as "the saudis did 9/11 because of american cultural imperialism, but they're probably hosed no matter what they do" not raging islamophobia

i could be reading that too charitably, but if that's the crowning piece of evidence, it seems remarkably weak

if anything you arent reading it charitably enough

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think that McCarthy thing is probably fine but I do not at all understand his line about armaments and fossil fuel money. The Saudis sent Microsoft Flight Simulator guys at us, not smart bombs.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think that McCarthy thing is probably fine but I do not at all understand his line about armaments and fossil fuel money. The Saudis sent Microsoft Flight Simulator guys at us, not smart bombs.

it would be unlikely for a repressive theocratic monarchy like the sauds to survive this long without the oil money and the weapons it buys them; al qaeda was well-funded by rich saudis; the taliban got weapons and training from us in the 80s, etc.

ofc he's speaking imprecisely at best, and reading between the lines there's a strong hint of the "gently caress these arab savages" vibe that was taken as common wisdom for years after 9/11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFaSpca_3Q

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
but he says "which will proscribe the purchasing of armaments to use against the West"

Like what? They're buying OUR weapons and we're selling them to them specifically for the protection of the oil they sell us, guy. I could wrap my head around it maybe if he said we could stop buying the oil and therefore no longer having a reason to ignore the fact that they funded Al-Queda and basically facilitated 9/11 but "armaments" makes no sense.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They ate their poor meal cold and lay down in their bedding with the lamp between them. He'd brought the boy's book but the boy was too tired for reading.

Can we leave the lamp on till I'm asleep? he said.

Yes. Of course we can. Very unfair to our kerosene supply but that's ok that's ok

He was a long time going to sleep. After a while he turned and looked at the man. His face in the small light streaked with black from the rain like some old world thespian.

Can I ask you something? he said.

Yes. Of course.

Are we going to die?

It's something we're looking into very strongly and we'll have an announcement on it in two weeks
lmfao

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Azathoth posted:

“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

this always sounded kind of fash to me

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Isn't the judge the badguy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Gaupo Guacho posted:

“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

that's maybe one of the tamest things the judge says or does in the entire book

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk that positing the idea that war is a natural state of being for man isn't necessarily revealing you to be a fash, just a deep pessimist.

And there's a lot of bad guys in that book

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gaupo Guacho posted:

lol cmon

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm always pleased to know that so many people have read Blood Meridian. It's probably the best book I've ever read and after I was finished I was afraid that the prose would be too much for most people to push through. Certainly took me a few tries to get started.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

the milk machine posted:

that's maybe one of the tamest things the judge says or does in the entire book
my point is that it sounds quite darwinian but maybe its just pessimistic but still humanist

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
one of the best american writers of all time: men will always find a reason to kill each other, and a way to convince others to kill for them.

cspam poster: idk sounds pretty fashy to me. like, thats a big yikes.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

absolutely baseball-sliding into this thread: kiweeb

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Gaupo Guacho posted:

It saddens me so much to see cormac mccarthy put those words, which he approves of, into the mouth of the book’s hero and protagonist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Algund Eenboom posted:

It saddens me so much to see cormac mccarthy put those words, which he approves of, into the mouth of the book’s hero and protagonist

I love the duality of the words are correct but also the bad guy says them so their incorrect

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

CharlestheHammer posted:

I love the duality of the words are correct but also the bad guy says them so their incorrect

is this the actual Ben Shapiro's forums account or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

is this the actual Ben Shapiro's forums account or something?

what.

are you okay

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1284227700132057090?s=20

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gaupo Guacho posted:

please shove yourself into a locker

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

It’s going to be amazing to see so many people high up in authority/government oppose mandatory vaccination for Covid and just lets the country burn out

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

FMguru posted:

The author of the Doom tie-in novels is a huge chud:

And a Mormon

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

"Whatever exists in creation without my knowledge exists without my consent."

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

that book could never be made into a flick but time machined col. kurtz brando would be a pretty good option for the judge

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MizPiz posted:

And a Mormon

idk poo poo about this creepy dbag, and the mormon church sucks rear end in numerous ways

but i've also personally had some friends and acquaintances that considered themselves mormon who were chill and not judgemental assholes at all

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1284227948862554112?s=21

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

This guy can only talk like Peter Lorre and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Heath posted:

please shove yourself into a locker
:(

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Gaupo Guacho posted:

lolthe judge can only get it up to rape children, that's explicitly who is saying this

the quote from his notes is bad if you can't or didn't bother to read closely

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wow baloogan is still alive

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Rah! posted:

wow baloogan is still alive

please, baloogan wouldnt even wear the hat

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

surprisingly honest + accurate

https://twitter.com/yaf/status/1284294826117259266?s=21

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
off the chart self-own

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Books

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So more of a conservative's brain is devoted to Ben Shapiro than to books, history, and the U.S. constitution. Sounds about right TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ben and dinesh at the reagan ranch, researching the effects of the outside of a horse on the inside of a man