Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Grape posted:

It seems to be way up in rural nowhere Ontario, so I'd guess pretty chuddy.

I'd call that central or (a term I loathe) "cottage country"; it's not really north north till North Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The Boomer is a special creature that the world will never see again.
If a boomer ever exists again, it has to be on another plant.

- Yes they are a product of privilege, mind boggling post world war II privilege where the us became rich.
- This weird culture where the US "Won World War II"
- Living in a country that essentially a really big Island.
- A product of switching from being a farmer to an industrial world. (80% of people were farmers at the beginning of 1900's)
- Having a older generation probably being one of the most financially intelligent for their era, and socially progressive.
- While growing up in the strictest mono-culture created by Radio-Movies-Television.
- Having sheer numbers of population that allow them to talk to each other and reinforce that they are right.
- Giving birth to Gen X a generation so few in numbers that Boomer crushed any political power they had.
- An Extended life span from 55 to 80.

And like a thousand other special things that happened. That future generations will look at the Boomer, and Gen X as very alien generations, and the Millennial will end up being their measuring stick.
I was watching the untold history of the United States of America with my boomer inlaws , and each time the narrator explained that it was the Soviets who did 90% of the work to defeat Nazi Germany, and it was the Soviet invasion of Manchuria and threat of a Soviet invasion of mainland Japan that caused the Japanese to surrender my in-laws would get visibly angry that the narrator was pushing untrue opinions. They really have internalized all the propaganda that's been fed to them over the years and anything that challenges their views makes them melt down.

At the same time they both really enjoyed Greyhound , because it" told it how it happened".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Had a superboomer convo yesterday with a patient, guy was like 90. He had gone to the same college I did, but graduated in 1961. So I asked him what Austin was like back then...he said it was a really small town but already becoming too liberal. LOL. He also said he had a professor who was one of the authors of The New Deal.

Seriously, this dude in Austin in the late 50's think's it's becoming too liberal...how.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

boomer was just throwing a fit because someone put up a sign saying there was a mandatory mask order in Dallas county: "WE'RE IN DENTON COUNTY THAT DOESN'T APPLY TO US! THEY HAVE NO AUTHORITY OVER US!" meanwhile it's company policy to wear a mask anyway

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LifeSunDeath posted:

Seriously, this dude in Austin in the late 50's think's it's becoming too liberal...how.

They resist change and attribute it to things they don’t understand, then vilify it.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

Of course May 31 was the severe asthma attack, so we've been dealing with the pain of all the ribs I broke performing CPR.

Why did you give someone having an asthma attack CPR

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Otmar just said that last year haas ran ferrari brake ducts, which may be relevant to a earlier argument I wasn’t paying much attention to

Edit: This was entirely the wrong thread, apologies but I’ll leave the information up anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

number 1 snake fan posted:

The 911 operator told me to, it's not something I do for fun.

EDIT:
I should clarify that she had collapsed and was unresponsive at that point.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 17, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Speaking as someone with CPR training but no other real medical knowledge, if I saw someone struggling to breathe it would be the no brainer of the century? Like, what the hell else would someone average do?

Can you explain why this is a bad idea?

Also, pumping the chest transports blood that still has oxygen to the brain, even without the mouth to mouth, so chest compressions have value if someone's hypoxic for whatever reason.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is that area the Canadian equivalent of chuds or what? Because the employee blaming the mask mandate instead of the crazy boomer strikes me as chuddy as gently caress.

I'm kinda torn. When I worked checkout I didn't consider myself paid enough to not steal. If I was then put in charge of managing unruly, infantile, leadbrained, armed chuds most likely carrying a deadly disesase, and for certain not given a raise commensurate with the asspain/literal risk to life and limb?

gently caress that I signed up to ring up bananas and get high in the loading dock with the stockers. You want someone to go deal with the Rage Virus outbreak in dairy like it's 28 days later hire a security guard or pay my rear end.

She might be wrong on why, but she's definitely right on as far as 'It's hosed up that I'm even in this position.'

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Drimble Wedge posted:

Boomer rages out about masks, gets himself shot by police:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fatal-haliburton-shooting-siu-1.5650761

He threw a fit and drove off erratically, so police were called.

Another article:

I go fishing up in this area quite a bit. There's a town near there called Dorset that was in the news about a month ago for some restaurant that opened for full service and was promptly shut down by the MOH.

Haliburton, Miden and Dorset are towns that thrive on tourists, hunting, fishing, and cottage rentals. So no tourists really hurt them. These places are so remote that most times you can't get there in the winter. The people that live there are the ones that can never afford to leave, don't want to leave, are old, just like any other small North American town. But yea, the people there are...quaint but odd. Once you get north of Barrie you see more and more conspiracy theorists. BUT it's still 100x better than most US cities right now.

Grape posted:

It seems to be way up in rural nowhere Ontario, so I'd guess pretty chuddy.

Its about 4 hours north or Toronto which is not "way up there". Look at Ontario on the map and you'll see what I mean.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I'd call that central or (a term I loathe) "cottage country"; it's not really north north till North Bay.

I love when people say they are going "up north" and they end up in or staying just outside Huntsville.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

PipHelix posted:

Speaking as someone with CPR training but no other real medical knowledge, if I saw someone struggling to breathe it would be the no brainer of the century? Like, what the hell else would someone average do?

Also, pumping the chest transports blood that still has oxygen to the brain, even without the mouth to mouth, so chest compressions have value if someone's hypoxic for whatever reason.

They could be choking on something. You're correct about the mechanism of CPR, just make sure to check for the absence of a pulse before you start!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

computer angel posted:

They could be choking on something. You're correct about the mechanism of CPR, just make sure to check for the absence of a pulse before you start!

Training they gave me was make sure the airway is clear before anything else, so sounds like we're good.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bonzo posted:

Its about 4 hours north or Toronto which is not "way up there". Look at Ontario on the map and you'll see what I mean.

You're all way up there Canuck.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

PipHelix posted:

I was under the impression that an airway that was closed due to asthma would be very difficult to force air down. You made the point about compressions circulating blood though, i hadn't thought of that.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Did you mean to ask "Do you..."?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I am in the process of moving back in with my parents after having been out of their house for 20 years. Thanks Covid. They live on whats best described as a hobby farm, it produces nothing but the weed they smoke. I comment to my dad while working on his tractor "Yeah, me and brother are looking for work." He waves his arm about the place "I've got work all over this place if you want to work!" I clarify. "I need work that pays me." "Oh.. you want money, not work."

After working on his tractor for 8 hours with him not taking any of my advice, my mom comes home with some random old people. like 5 of them in two trucks.

Turns out my mom invited them to her house, because their grandparents in the 1940s owned the land and had our same last name. Bunch of black and white photos were hauled out. No relation to us that I know of, just share a name. No masks, of course. Just random people. Have a tour of the place that is 10 miles from the town.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 18, 2020

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a friend going through EMT training and wanted me (licensed EMR) to give him a compression to "see what it felt like". So, once suitably buzzed, I agreed. I gave him like two or three solid compressions and he practically threw me off him. He had a nice fat bruise on his chest for a week or two, said it hurt to breathe for like a month. CPR ain't no joke man.

On a more serious note, learn how to do CPR and carry a barrier so you don't have to kiss a random stranger in the course of saving their life.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you don't hear ribs cracking you aren't compressing hard enoigh

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

winterwerefox posted:

I am in the process of moving back in with my parents after having been out of their house for 20 years. Thanks Covid. They live on whats best described as a hobby farm, it produces nothing but the weed they smoke. I comment to my dad while working on his tractor "Yeah, me and brother are looking for work." He waves his arm about the place "I've got work all over this place if you want to work!" I clarify. "I need work that pays me." "Oh.. you want money, not work."

After working on his tractor for 8 hours with him not taking any of my advice, my mom comes home with some random old people. like 5 of them in two trucks.

Turns out my mom invited them to her house, because their grandparents in the 1940s owned the land and had our same last name. Bunch of black and white photos were hauled out. No relation to us that I know of, just share a name. No masks, of course. Just random people. Have a tour of the place that is 10 miles from the town.

“Oh.. you want money, not work” is such big boomer energy you could power the country with it.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

e.pilot posted:

“Oh.. you want money, not work” is such big boomer energy you could power the country with it.

actually, it turns out, you can't

but I think I get what you saying

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

learnincurve posted:

Otmar just said that last year haas ran ferrari brake ducts, which may be relevant to a earlier argument I wasn’t paying much attention to

Edit: This was entirely the wrong thread, apologies but I’ll leave the information up anyway.

Au contraire, posting in the wrong thread is a very pro Boomer move, so very relevant

You ruined it though by realizing and editing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still relevant:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

there’s a security guy at my office who also has to reprimand people for not wearing masks. it’s wild seeing him ask a 40 year old man to put his mask back over his mouth and get stared down like this imbecile is gonna take a swing at him.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still relevant:

LOL

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
911 dispatch quality largely depends on where you are. Some states and cities have adopted and instituted programs called emergency medical dispatch (emd) which is a statistically calculated response based on age gender and symptoms. If someone is unresponsive, not breathing, and has no signs of mouth obstruction or other obvious injury then uhh yeah start CPR and chest compressions, which they also give over the phone, even to someone with no experience with cpr at all.
Everything is verbatim and graded according to sticking to the script without improv (because it's medical instructions) as well as correctly diagnosing the problem and processing the issue correctly. It's a good system.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I will say again check for signs of pulse before you start wailing on someones chest. It takes 10 seconds, and generally if you feel their heart beat in their wrist that means their heart is pumping well enough that you don't have to break several of their ribs. Of course "unresponsive" generally means pulseless, but it's something you have to check as quickly as you're calling out for help.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
You can totally stop someone's heart if you do CPR when they have a pulse. So good work on nearly killing your friend

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A White Guy posted:

I had a friend going through EMT training and wanted me (licensed EMR) to give him a compression to "see what it felt like". So, once suitably buzzed, I agreed. I gave him like two or three solid compressions and he practically threw me off him. He had a nice fat bruise on his chest for a week or two, said it hurt to breathe for like a month. CPR ain't no joke man.

You didn't do it right if you didn't break any ribs. I hadn't been to a CPR class in close to 20 years, and they would tell you that, but gently caress man, them telling you, and then actually doing it might as well be continents apart. It's something I hope that I never have to do again.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

You can totally stop someone's heart if you do CPR when they have a pulse. So good work on nearly killing your friend

gently caress you!

It's easy to judge when all you've had are hypotheticals. It's a whole different world when you see someone you care about collapse and start to turn purple. You do what you have to do, and if the 911 operator told me to perform a tracheostomy, I would have done it.

Unless of course you were talking to the other poster I quoted, you can call him a dipshit for that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

jfc shut the gently caress up. I'm CPR certified and have been for many years, if put in a situation where I had perform actual CPR I have little doubt I'd gently caress it up...also the success rate for manual compression is very low, AED's are the biggest factory in saving someone who's gone into cardiac arrest...but saying something like you said to someone who was in an emergency and did the right thing...you're just a bastard.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So chalk up TV medicine to things Boomers like.

Hey didya know that when a relative is undergoing CPR from a code team in the ICU and you see three security guards slowly enter the room, stand about 30 feet from you, it's probably because that relative is already dead or is about to be pronounced? My guess is some places require that now as part of a code in case family don't like the news and decide to get punchy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are most of the anti-maskers Boomers or Gen-X? It seems like a lot of the people who are stupid enough to let themselves get filmed throwing a fit are solidly Generation-X.

Gen-X may be an improvement over our parents, but we're pretty lovely on vaccines and masks. It's like we want to die.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in my area its much more a regional thing than an age thing. in my part of LA everyone wears masks. go over to hermosa beach and no one is wearing them.

boomers definitely seem to do the "chinstrap" fake mask thing more than anyone tho

but yes the older half of gen x is definitely very susceptible to antimask/anivax conspiracy poo poo. those in the younger half who grew up on the internet to some extent, maybe less so

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

winterwerefox posted:

Holy poo poo is some purestrain boomer poo poo. I think this completes the bingo card in a single post.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Earwicker posted:

in my area its much more a regional thing than an age thing. in my part of LA everyone wears masks. go over to hermosa beach and no one is wearing them.

boomers definitely seem to do the "chinstrap" fake mask thing more than anyone tho

but yes the older half of gen x is definitely very susceptible to antimask/anivax conspiracy poo poo. those in the younger half who grew up on the internet to some extent, maybe less so

Gen X needs to be split into Boox and Millexxials.

Any who whine about association with Millennials get upgraded to BooxPlus.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Shout out to all the young boomers carrying their masters' battle flag by not wearing a mask. I hope the dry gulches of your tracheae get so parched that you'll never be able to abuse waitstaff again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

Gen X needs to be split into Boox and Millexxials.

Any who whine about association with Millennials get upgraded to BooxPlus.

I'm not sure how Boomers ended up producing 2 generations. Extend Boomers to 1970 and combine Gen-X and Millennials. Most of their kids are Zoomers anyway.

I really think Gen-X was created solely to market poo poo.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm not sure how Boomers ended up producing 2 generations. Extend Boomers to 1970 and combine Gen-X and Millennials. Most of their kids are Zoomers anyway.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ok Booxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Labeling generations is a dumb ambiguous practice. I manage to be both Gen X and millennial because of how bad the definitions are.