Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

G0RF posted:

Still a blip by AAA standards. Sony PSVR has the biggest install base (5+ million). Half Life Alyx broke a million units.

But given that the headsets are finally getting past the screen door effect, and big budget studio games like Star Wars: Squadrons and Half Life Alyx are (coming) out, VR will probably start to move further towards being a mainstream thing.

I’m trying to resist the urge to preorder a Reverb 2. But it looks really good. Better than The Index for $400 less.

Plus I want to experience the behind the velvet rope Million Mile High Club VR nightclub experience Chris and Red Pill will cook up!!! (Time to befriend Miku so he can get me in!)

I'd hold off on the Reverb 2 till we see some more reviews but it does look like its a pretty big jump in quality.

I just got a Rift S and holy poo poo things have come along way. Alyx is amazing and creepy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

they wouldn't turn SC into anything, just use existing assess and resources to help with their new venture (or use it to secure even more funding)

Ahh like studio repurposing / staff siphoning and the like. Ok with you!

G0RF posted:

I don’t assume that. That’s a big leap from where we are.

But I like two ultra shady LA fraud machines chasing hypes dreams and maybe coming into orbit with each other. That gives us all kinds of tinfoil to run with.

Example:

Jared got his first VR headset very recently. :tinfoil:

Oh yeah, for sure. It's fricking mirror world. Best thing to happen in ages :allears:

If CIG were to pivot hard to VR (or help someone else do the same) things could get proper Starbreeze

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Man, I dunno. CIG really hasn't done anything with VR recently. SC at this point is pretty unfriendly to VR headsets. You'd really have to find someone who's been doing work in VR to-

Oh.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bofast posted:

CIG and this Red Pill VR thing getting/being involved with one another would probably have amazing potential for comedy.
Probably the next best thing, after CI~G actually releasing SQ54 / SC

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Snazzy Frocks posted:

are VR games even a blip in the market yet?

It’s niche to say the least and looks set to remain that way. It’s growing slowly on the PC, but has kind of died in the console and mobile markets. Half Life Alyx was a minor hit, but there aren’t many big titles for VR to really drive interest and sales. Squadrons and some other next gen games could change things, but we’ll see.

Awesome! posted:

is sony doing anything with psvr still? they pushed it for awhile, there werent really any games that made me say drat i need a psvr and now i havent seen any mentions of it in like a year

Microsoft and Sony are both launching their new consoles without VR support, and both are hazy at best on any details about adding support/making new headsets in the future, which is pretty telling about the state of the market. It’s definitely not a priority for them right now, and that is going to depress developer interest in VR.

So, yeah VR is looking more and more like a thing for PC enthusiasts, for now stuck somewhere between “too big to fail” and “mainstream”.

I still think VR is the future of gaming, but that future isn’t coming anytime soon.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 17, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

G0RF posted:

Still a blip by AAA standards. Sony PSVR has the biggest install base (5+ million). Half Life Alyx broke a million units.

But given that the headsets are finally getting past the screen door effect, and big budget studio games like Star Wars: Squadrons and Half Life Alyx are (coming) out, VR will probably start to move further towards being a mainstream thing.

I’m trying to resist the urge to preorder a Reverb 2. But it looks really good. Better than The Index for $400 less.

Plus I want to experience the behind the velvet rope Million Mile High Club VR nightclub experience Chris and Red Pill will cook up!!! (Time to befriend Miku so he can get me in!)

Did HL: Alyx release on PSVR?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Awesome! posted:

is sony doing anything with psvr still? they pushed it for awhile, there werent really any games that made me say drat i need a psvr and now i havent seen any mentions of it in like a year

This is the main reason I've held off. Most of the games for VR feel more like tech demos or one trick gimmicks. That and knowing whatever VR headset I went with would be obsolete pretty soon after. (and not having a monster PC, though if I really got interested in VR I'd work towards getting one) I had hopes PSVR would take off more and more people would make games for it, but I guess not. I haven't even heard VR mentioned in anything I've read about the PS5.

It feels like a bad feedback loop- no one makes good games for VR because there's limited interest, and there's limited interest because no one makes good games for VR...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

colonelwest posted:

Microsoft and Sony are both launching their new consoles without VR support, and both are hazy at best on any details about adding support/making new headsets in the future, which is pretty telling about the state of the market.

PS5 is launching with support for the current headset, but yeah, the absence of any headline games or a new headset suggests it's off in the sidelines at the moment.

Does feel like the perfect time for speculators with too much money to get in on the ground floor though...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Did HL: Alyx release on PSVR?

No, and it seems like Valve is totally done with consoles after the fiasco with The Orange Box and the L4D games.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Elite Dangerous is not going to support VR with its Odyssey update, which is a shame. When I played ED (I don't any more), I used a Rift DK2, and couldn't go back to playing it in 2D

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Thanks for this. It all smells like maybe part of the reason we haven't seen CR in forever is he has already re-pulled his Freelancer exiting act and that the chance at being a 'playa' in this burgeoning Social Entertainment industry is this go round's director of Wind Commando the movie.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Redpill VR received a PPP loan between $150-$350k.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas posted:

awesome, a company founded by a russian oligarch banned from doing business in the US gets his company US tax payer dollars

gently caress this world

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

awesome, a company founded by a russian oligarch banned from doing business in the US gets his company US tax payer dollars

gently caress this world

buy an Idris

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The level of try hardness in this video is unbelievable .... just wow.

This only shows that the company making it is so out of touch, they are not even just on another planet, they are in another dimension, maybe even a total different plane of existence.

Wow .... Chris really? :iiasb:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bofast posted:

I'm the beer that doesn't even try to follow gravity but just hugs the bottom of the glass the whole time.

What, you have never heard of gravity goo beer?

Maybe this game is not for you!*

*No refunds!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MarcusSA posted:

I'd hold off on the Reverb 2 till we see some more reviews but it does look like its a pretty big jump in quality.

I just got a Rift S and holy poo poo things have come along way. Alyx is amazing and creepy as gently caress.

I am presently resisting - since I’m sure there will be something better shortly soon. But if not by end of August I just might relent.

Nicholas posted:

Well at least somebody still knows how to hustle around here!

colonelwest posted:

It’s niche to say the least and looks set to remain that way. It’s growing slowly on the PC, but has kind of died in the console and mobile markets. Half Life Alyx was a minor hit, but there aren’t many big titles for VR to really drive interest and sales. Squadrons and some other next gen games could change things, but we’ll see.

Ironically Squadrons is one of the big reasons I might make the jump.

I find myself wondering just how pissed Chris is about Squadrons. I suspect he’s furious. Before he decided to crowdfund, he’d originally pitched EA on a Wing Commander license for a new dogfighter. If I recall correctly, they’d approved a budget of $25 million. They weren’t too bullish on space sims at the time.

It’s 8+ years later. Chris made both a fortune and a massive botch of his first mover advantage. We’ve had a glut of space centric games - some excellent entries over the years (an FPS/Dogfighter in Infinite Warfare, a kiddie world space sim with No Man’s Sky, etc.) and a lot of crap. But Squadron 42 remains a no show.

Now EA is clearly making a bet on Chris’s original target, and using the source IP that inspired Chris’s cornball designer knockoff an eternity ago. They have chosen “Squadrons” as their IP, knowing full well that Squadron 42 was Chris’s “if you won’t let me have Wing Commander I’ll make my own- and get Mark Hamill back!” brand.

Even if this is all incidental, Chris has to be taking it personally. It’s such a kick in the no-no zone, such a dunk, whether they even intended to or not. And with the team they’ve got and their early experiments with VR missions, there’s every reason to believe it might really end up an amazing VR dogfighting experience. Which is something he’s been talking about since Palmer popped onto the scene with his own crowdfunding idea.

It’s releasing in a few months at $40 — right around when Virtual CitizenCon was supposed to hit and flack Squadron 42 (as they did in 2015 and 2017.)

How can Chris not be raging right now? He’s got to see it as both a disaster and an insult, because it is. And it seems like there’s not much he can do about it besides sulk and hide, just like he did in 2016. It’s not like he’s going to sue them for infringement. It’s not like he can’t beat them to the market. The only thing he’s still got left is his A list cast performing his D grade script. That’s all he’s got left to hype. And if it’s like what we’ve already seen, then it just ain’t going to be enough.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Trek: Bridge Commander (in VR) is already a much better multi crew experience than anything Chris Roberts has come close to making/stealing.

The guy is a scummy hack/fraud.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Will VR die the same death as 3D movies or 3D TV?

Probably not quite, but it will remain niche, imo.

Or curved screens, :lol:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ponzi posted:

Elite Dangerous is not going to support VR with its Odyssey update, which is a shame. When I played ED (I don't any more), I used a Rift DK2, and couldn't go back to playing it in 2D

It's also pretty logical. FPS is a completely separate thing, much less compatible with VR than cockpit play. For starters, most VR titles - including Alyx - use teleporting as means of transportation, which is kinda incompatible with multiplayer PvP, you'd get teleporting mess (combined with shaky P2P networking in case someone's connection is weak) and even some PvE might be tricky.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

gently caress this world

Remember that an oligarch's money is as good as yours and they have more so they are better than you and deserve all the tax cuts and nice poo poo.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Thanks for the folks that got the old thread archived. I went and clicked on a random page and rediscovered this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I play flight sims and I've tried X-Plane in VR, it is indeed very cool but I still don't have a strong pull to buy in yet. I'm not sure what the future holds for VR, I don't think it's gonna die out but I also don't think it's going to replace traditional consoles and gaming PCs anytime soon because it's just a very different experience and requires more commitment not only financially but also the focus/time of the user.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Solarin posted:

Thanks for the folks that got the old thread archived. I went and clicked on a random page and rediscovered this

Can you explain what this means?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1284131429853671425

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wait isn't this leftover poo poo from the stuff they sent out a few months ago?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kosumo posted:

Can you explain what this means?

He's fishing for whales with a spaceship JPEG. Is this a troll :psyduck:

edit: I'm a dummy who should have clicked the ? first

edit 2: I honestly don't know why I would have thought someone could not understand something so obvious

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 18, 2020

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OElmhxkJs

CR may have just heard about that whole Monster Hunter thing.

Since they're just trying to stall for time at this point, making hour long videos of making concept art in real time is a good idea for them. It's the only thing they can actually competently produce at this point anyway.

Also some truly scary pictures/ photoshops of Jared in this video, apparently even the game devs make fun of him

edit: like this hideous alien baby

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 18, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

edit 2: I honestly don't know why I would have thought someone could not understand something so obvious

I'm sorry (unlike Chris).

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

If you backed this game in high school, you could have gone to school specifically to work on this, graduated, worked at CIG, and quit and it's still not out

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I think VR has some cool experiences to offer but i think alot of people play games just to relax. thats why consoles are a huge hit they are played from the sofa.

When you live some where hot, and you got to put on your VR hat, fire up the Air con so you are not sweating balls, then move the coffee table in the living room and setup the room for VR it think it starts to get a bit to hard unless you a really into it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DigitalPenny posted:

I think VR has some cool experiences to offer but i think alot of people play games just to relax. thats why consoles are a huge hit they are played from the sofa.

When you live some where hot, and you got to put on your VR hat, fire up the Air con so you are not sweating balls, then move the coffee table in the living room and setup the room for VR it think it starts to get a bit to hard unless you a really into it.

Could always do something like this too...

quote:

My (27f) boyfriend (23m) tried to throw out our bed so he could play a video game

Me and my boyfriend have been living together for about a year now and for a while he's been really interested in virtual reality. Now the problem is that our tiny studio apartment isn't big enough to jump around in. He knows this, I know this, and we've had multiple conversations about how it's a shame we don't live in some huge house where we could dedicate an entire room to something like that.

I went out yesterday for a walk and a picnic yesterday and came back to my boyfriend dismantling our bed. I assumed something had broken and asked what had happened. Nothing was broken. He'd managed to order an oculus quest headset and had made the executive decision that we could swap our double bed for a Japanese futon??

There is no loving room for this. Even if we lived on the ground floor (which we don't), and I was willing to sleep on the floor (which I'm not), the room just isn't big enough. It would dominate the entire room. Am I supposed to crouch in the kitchen whilst he plays? Our entire home is being compromised for what is effectively a video game.

I honestly don't really know what to say. He thinks he's being entirely reasonable to do this without involving me. I don't even know what to say to him here since the whole thing seems so ridiculous and he's so obviously being unreasonable yet is oblivious and keeps saying I'll really enjoy vr and it'll all be worth it. I told him I was worried he'll damage the TV or my art supplies and he is convinced it won't be a problem as they have sensors for that.

I love my boyfriend and he's always been entirely reasonable and level headed until now and we always discuss everything. How do I get through to him about this? If it wasn't so difficult right now I'd be considering moving out or leaving. I told him I'd throw it out the window when it arrived unless he was going to sit down and have a serious conversation about this but he just won't take anything I say seriously.

TL;DR My boyfriend bought a vr headset and wants to remove our bed to play it in our tiny studio apartment and can't see this is unreasonable.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

As someone who has a PSVR and enjoys it, there are some good VR games out there, but there's no money in it due to the relatively low installed userbase. Because of that, big name publishers will be reticent to make games for it, which leaves a bunch of indie developers with resources capable of doing little more than puffed-up tech demos. There hasn't been any much in the way of decent PSVR games to come out in the last 6 months.

If Sony threw all their weight into it for the launch of the PS5 it would probably take off, but since they aren't, it's probably not going to happen for at least another console generation. And in the PC space, until there's an agreed upon standard that doesn't force customers to choose between their favorite platform, it's going to be a long while before it takes off there.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BattleMaster posted:

The context was that the much vaunted high fidelity mining gameplay essentially boiled down to the fishing mini game mechanics from Stardew Valley.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If Redpill x CIG really happens, its going to own.

Also virtual ticket for attending ShitCon 2020. I dipped into the sea of poo and found out that some of my real life friends have been "investing" in star citizen ships during the lockdown period. They both spent close to $10K each during that hacked together shitfest a month or 2 back.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Could always do something like this too...

This VR dude here should definitely buy an Idris, it'll have all the space he needs to play VR.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

no_recall posted:

If Redpill x CIG really happens, its going to own.

Also virtual ticket for attending ShitCon 2020. I dipped into the sea of poo and found out that some of my real life friends have been "investing" in star citizen ships during the lockdown period. They both spent close to $10K each during that hacked together shitfest a month or 2 back.

You should organize an AMA. My first question would be, (knocks over chair) Ya fuckin what?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
You can have a mini-bar in your space ship now

I’m not sure exactly how, but here’s their story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mirificus posted:

quote:

The bartender is a test bed for all AI in game.
I can tell you more for what the devs wants to achieve with the bartender but not all those features exist yet in the actual bartender. I will try to test which one have been done.

The bartender manage real stocks (bottles in fridge for instance). Every element used is counted. If the fridge is empty he should say he can't do your beverage and launch restock order to the server (the bartender AI will do it, not a script tied to the fridge)

He had no scripted routes. He will search the fridge and go to it by himself from where he is when needed. When he takes your order, he should seek you to give it to you when done. If you have moved and took a sit 5 m away, the bartender have to detect the small door closing the bar, open it and pass the bar to give you your order. All those events not predefined. He have to recognize all its surroundings, don't collide with others NPC/PC and put the bottle in the right place where you are (the table if you have take a sit for instance). He should be able to get back the empty glass too.

When you command a multi elements beverage, he doesn't execute a full script but follow a recipe (whiskey, next ice cube, next water). The animation suite is dynamicaly launched.

A part of the animations are not in mocap or hard scripted but calculated. Ex : the movement to the fridge should be natural from 2m, 2.1m, 2.2m, 2.3m, 2.4m, etc (no moon walk). I have a good video about it from SQ42. I will post it later.

He constantly detects pnj and players in its surrounding and their localisations. For ex, if you pass behind the bar, he shouts at you to get out (seen in video).

He will be able to show emotions and analyze you. If you stink (no shower since several days), he can refuse to serve you.

He can queue orders. If 2 npc ask beers before you, you have to wait, you will be the third to be served.

The bartender and the NPCs will interact by themselve. We should see bartender getting orders from NPC.

He can be used as a mission giver or receiver and should have a good stock of sentences to say.

That's the plan. Dev have said that some of those features are already used for combat. For instance NPC will seek soon for ammo box when out of ammo (shown in video).

this project is so off the loving rails