Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CainFortea posted:

If that chronology is right then Londo was born 50 years after the peak. So he probably "remembers" the glory in the way that his family molded him. Also he was in one of the big families where the glory would still be all around him.

There are plenty of mid-40s Tories in the UK who can't shut up about how great the empire was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TIL that some of the crew from B5 made a blues band called "The Be Fives"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCuDCaVXwEw

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A View From the Gallery comes out bad because honestly, other than a very small number of exceptions B5 is not a show equipped to be carried on the back of guest stars

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Just saw A View From the Gallery.
It is not a good episode. Also is it just me or are the telepaths abilities kind of all over the place in comparison to the previous seasons? Like I kind of thought the ability to project images and memories into another person's mind was a Lyta special, but then you have the mute kid doing it and the other telepaths were acting like it was an unusual thing to be able to do only for Byron to give Beau the Starfury Pilot Experience in this episode.

Yeah. Gallery is also one of Harlan Ellison's episodes, and the first break in the JMS writing consecutive episodes streak. On that basis alone it's going to stand out from the tone and style you'd gotten used to in the last two whole years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Yeah. Gallery is also one of Harlan Ellison's episodes, and the first break in the JMS writing consecutive episodes streak. On that basis alone it's going to stand out from the tone and style you'd gotten used to in the last two whole years.

The actual script was JMS wasn't it, with the story by HE?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think the main thing I don't like about it is that it's set up as a story about some random nobodies having to deal with the consequences of the choices main cast but it quickly turns into a :circlefap: about how great the main cast are and only seems to approach what it was set up for at the very end with Steven dealing with bodies of everyone who died in the battle.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CainFortea posted:

TIL that some of the crew from B5 made a blues band called "The Be Fives"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCuDCaVXwEw

Some of these songs are great, thanks!

You can certainly tell that most of the cast are emphatically not pro singers, but they definitely don't suck and they put so much heart into singing that it doesn't matter, it's really enjoyable. It helps that Bill Mumy is a pretty drat good songwriter so they've got good material to work with.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
God I love all these people.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Anticipating TheAardvark posting his The Fall of Night review any moment now

any moment... :f5:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You can certainly tell that most of the cast are emphatically not pro singers, but they definitely don't suck and they put so much heart into singing that it doesn't matter, it's really enjoyable. It helps that Bill Mumy is a pretty drat good songwriter so they've got good material to work with.

I really liked Katsulas hamming it up in his parts. Really stood out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's really weird to hear Peter Jurasik without the Londo accent though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

It's really weird to hear Peter Jurasik without the Londo accent though.

Watch the Tron movie, he’s Flynn’s first opponent in the disappearing ring game.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

Watch the Tron movie, he’s Flynn’s first opponent in the disappearing ring game.

He was also a recurring character on Hill Street Blues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAvZX93yazU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He was also a recurring character on Hill Street Blues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAvZX93yazU

Makes you wonder if he's ever played a role with normal hair.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Can someone remind me what the best season 1 episodes are? I'm attempting a rewatch, trying to remember what to look forward to before season 2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

abrosheen posted:

Can someone remind me what the best season 1 episodes are? I'm attempting a rewatch, trying to remember what to look forward to before season 2.

I've mentioned an essential S1 list before. Filter for my posts, you should find it fairly quickly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Eighty pounds!"
"Of spoo."
"Ugh! Take it away."

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Okay maybe The Doctor is pretty good. Still waiting to see about the Gaim though.

quote:

Either he’s a non-Euclidean mass of extra-dimensional nature and a mere sight would make anyone go mad, or it’s a form that would be instantly recognised (a la Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End), and the wrong ideas taken.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

He's always killing it and there's a non zero chance he's playing a long con on us.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a lot of foreshadowing in B5, and a lot that's inspired by previous work. Someone who's watching the episodes slowly and knows a lot about sci-fi in general can pick up on it.

And now TheAardvark is speculating about Kosh's form, and is clearly not expecting what he's going to see so very soon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I couldn't remember if that happens at the end of S2 or S3. Nice

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Zero posted:

Okay maybe The Doctor is pretty good. Still waiting to see about the Gaim though.

Embarrassing to admit as I've only just watched most of S2, but is this not the episode in which Kosh says that he can't leave his encounter suit because he'd be recognised by everyone?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ultrafilter posted:

There's a lot of foreshadowing in B5, and a lot that's inspired by previous work. Someone who's watching the episodes slowly and knows a lot about sci-fi in general can pick up on it.

And now TheAardvark is speculating about Kosh's form, and is clearly not expecting what he's going to see so very soon.

He's like 9/10ths of the way there, I can't wait to see if he feels vindicated or deceived when he reports back after Fall of Night.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

Embarrassing to admit as I've only just watched most of S2, but is this not the episode in which Kosh says that he can't leave his encounter suit because he'd be recognised by everyone?

It is. And that’s a pretty astute guess. The thing that threw aardvark off was the assumption that the other races wouldn’t have the same concept of angels or devils. Sure it shows up in sci-fi quite a bit so it’s not a total Hail Mary but it’s more spot on than most of us were when the show first aired.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like that moment really echoes the Trial of Galactus.

Although there's more thought about it in Babylon 5, since I don't think the idea that Galactus looks somehow different to different alien cultures has ever come up since that moment.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also i'm pretty sure that the vorlons implanted that idea specifically to make it easier for them to be accepted by the younger races when it came time to face the shadows again.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although there's more thought about it in Babylon 5, since I don't think the idea that Galactus looks somehow different to different alien cultures has ever come up since that moment.

It came up in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl! :)

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

TraderStav posted:

He's always killing it and there's a non zero chance he's playing a long con on us.

There's a chance he's the Lorien to our Shadows/Zorlon, trying to teach us something...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Also i'm pretty sure that the vorlons implanted that idea specifically to make it easier for them to be accepted by the younger races when it came time to face the shadows again.

This is explicit.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

⅔ through another rewatch I got my hands on the Vudu versions, and these are so much better than the DVDs.

It's huge to have the composite and CG shots not be distracting and obviously zoomed in and cropped anymore. I'd almost forgotten this is how I saw the show on TV.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 19, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I'm going to prepare a celebratory photoshop pic for first time watchers like The Doctor. Witty and attentive minds like him amuse me. They are going to be a finest addition here, among elder races

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zat posted:

⅔ through another rewatch I got my hands on the Vudu versions, and these are so much better than the DVDs.

It's huge to have the composite and CG shots not be distracting and obviously zoomed in and cropped anymore. I'd almost forgotten this is how I saw the show on TV.

watching it this way now too and i agree

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/trekonomics/status/1285379691944148992

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Kosh

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

We can only hope.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

I love Kosh

We all love Kosh

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

He's a pretty big rear end in a top hat in season 1.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My favorite Kosh moment is a scene cut from episode 1. JMS describes it like so:

quote:

>
> Category 18, Topic 9
> Message 284 Tue Aug 17, 1993
> STRACZYNSKI [Joe] at 01:55 EDT
>
> As reward for the humor, here's what Kosh will *really* say, when he
> utters the first words we hear. He's on the Observation Dome, looking out
> through the window as a ship passes overhead, the lights shining down at him
> through a window.
>
> "Ahhh....beautiful." Long beat as he looks around the place. Then:
> "I will miss this...when it is gone."
>
> And then he exits, as Garibaldi mutters to Ivanova, "I *really* hate it
> when he does that."
>
> jms
>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

abrosheen posted:

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

He's a pretty big rear end in a top hat in season 1.

When does he say that? I just finished season 1 on my rewatch and cannot remember him saying something more than four syllables.