Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

There is a Silksong thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882236

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in retrospect the silksong thread was probably a bit premature

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hornet's movement is gonna be so fuckin' bonkers for this combat. God, I can't wait.

I'm getting really into watching runs of HK on youtube, anybody know any good speedruns, races, randomizer runs, that sorta thing?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I've been searching on twitch for people playing hollow knight and looking for first/blind playthroughs. I'm addicted...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just cleared the pantheon of the knight and i think that's the limit of my skill

i beat my head against pure vessel's statue like twenty times just to get his patterns down and still barely squeaked out a win

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pure Vessel is at least a good boss

the real roadblock imo is Markoth because not only is he hard, he's loving misery to face

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i can blitz him down without much trouble in the knight's pantheon but i imagine that would be less viable when he's Ascended, he can trap you in a pain loop really easily

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
really all of the dream warrior bosses kinda suck but only No Eyes and Markoth are actually hard, and Markoth only in the pantheon when there's no floor in the arena

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I recommend trying to go through enough of Pantheon of Hollownest to at least unlock Sisters of Battle (though you could always just try Godseeker mode on a different file) as that boss is a lot of fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just played it up to nightmare grimm and yes the sisters made everything hurting

though not as much as THIS would

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktDxzN8Y2U

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sisters of Battle and Pure Vessel are my favorite two fights. NKG is a close third. e: otoh Sly has to fit in there somehow too, geeze this game has so many good boss fights

cheetah7071 posted:

really all of the dream warrior bosses kinda suck but only No Eyes and Markoth are actually hard, and Markoth only in the pantheon when there's no floor in the arena

Wait, No Eyes as in the person who just floats around while ghost heads slowly float across the screen? I thought she was pretty easy

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

Sisters of Battle and Pure Vessel are my favorite two fights. NKG is a close third. e: otoh Sly has to fit in there somehow too, geeze this game has so many good boss fights

Wait, No Eyes as in the person who just floats around while ghost heads slowly float across the screen? I thought she was pretty easy

Honestly I forget what normal No Eyes is like but there's a lot of heads in the pantheon version and she teleports every time you get a hit or two on her and there's spikes everywhere

e: oh you were talking about the pantheon version too. Idk I have a lot of trouble with her

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pure Vessel is such a good fight.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You have to do some preparation for Markoth in the Pantheon because he rack up damage and iirc he leads directly into GPZ who has very few opportunities for healing, but otherwise he's manageable. You don't have to be too clean about it to pull through in a good enough shape.

Radiant difficulty Markoth is complete bullshit however.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Markoth requires a lot of patience

When working on Radiant Markoth I found that I could pretty consistently get at least 4 hits on him by just bouncing on his head at the very start, since his spears aren't really rolling yet and his little shield is on its first loop around. That part of the fight is pretty easy and consistent. The rest of the first half is not too bad; you can just focus on dodging spears while watching for good openings to get 1 hit in. When he sits still and projects his shield in big concentric circles, that's a great time to get a bunch of hits in since he's not creating spears; you can shade-dash to guarantee that you get past the shield, then just bounce on his head for awhile until the shield comes back and shade-dash out again.

The second half is much harder and most of my damage was from spells. I saved up all of my soul for the second half to blitz down his remaining health, but even then you still need to get a few melee hits in. Hope you've got the strength charm on

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Radiance is loving me up still to the point where I gave up and chose the different ending. I did trial of the fool drunk as poo poo in one shot years ago so I thought I was hot poo poo

I still have yet to even attempt the expansions, or access the last one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's a neat trick for the last phase of Radiance: if the projectiles go above the screen, they despawn. So if you just constantly pogo-hop on Radiance's head, dashing to wherever it teleports, then you won't ever get hit. And it's not a big deal if you miss a hop and have to start over, Radiance has a huge hitbox and you don't get damaged by it.

The second phase is the hard one but if you exhibit a lot of patience and reserve some Soul from phase 1 then you can burst it down pretty quickly. If you haven't started using Abyss Shriek during boss fights, now's the time

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm astounded that you were able to one shot the Trial of the Fool but unable to defeat the Radiance. The Trial of the Fool is way harder.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

i just played it up to nightmare grimm and yes the sisters made everything hurting

though not as much as THIS would

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktDxzN8Y2U

The music cues in this game are so loving good. When the third sister stands up and the music just stops. gently caress, that owns.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm astounded that you were able to one shot the Trial of the Fool but unable to defeat the Radiance. The Trial of the Fool is way harder.

It’s all relative. It feels like different skill sets. Radiance is pretty quick, while the trials are kind of battles of endurance.

I was only able to beat Radiance and NKG using spell caster builds after failing for hours on my last go through. This time, I beat them both using Nail builds and found it much, much easier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my first attempt against the radiance at game release also involved like two hours of retries and lots of abyss shriek spam

after i hit 112% yesterday i cleared it again to pop the trophy and ripped through her in two minutes

the "normal" parts of the game feel like they're moving in slow motion now

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Once you start working on the pantheons for any appreciable amount of time, a natural course of action becomes "I need to kill this boss as fast as possible because that's less time for poo poo to go sideways and means I get to the spot I need practice on sooner". My breakthrough was going for a heavy Nail offense build with Quick Slash and just DPSing the hell out of most bosses in seconds. I definitely remember also going back to get the 112% achievement ending and coming up against the non-PV version of the Hollow Knight and just going, "heh, that's cute."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing I love most about watching real Hollow Knight gurus is how aggro they are. They get right up in the bosses guts and spank them in 30 seconds every time, it really showed me a different way to play the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A lot easier to avoid damage once the boss is dead

Crystal Guardian is a great example of this, with an aggressive nail build you can end that fight in 10 seconds.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think I have the reflexes for those fights. Feel fuckin old.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

https://youtu.be/8ORCA-qcNgI

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I got up to Pure Vessel in Godhome and could not for the life of me defeat them, but I just discovered that my TV has like seven frames of delay, so I want to try again

but it's also been months and months since I played the game, which means it's time to just replay the whole thing

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I did a 107% (I think, the highest at the time with defeating NKG), but this was before Godhome was released, so haven't touched that. How exactly do you go about starting there? And any general tips or anything else I should know?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How to start the Godmaster content: https://kotaku.com/how-to-start-hollow-knights-new-dlc-godmaster-1828560308

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I finally managed to figure out the Pure Vessel fight, and did the Pantheon of the Knight. Decided to try the Hollownest Pantheon just to see how far I could go.

I reached Absolute Radiance. Holy poo poo. I did not expect that I'll be able to make it that far, or that I would have a chance to finish Godmaster.

Is there any way to practice Absolute Radiance? I'm thinking of doing normal Radiance till I get used to the fight, but is there a difference?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Since you've seen it you can practice it, there should be an open part of the hall of gods on the far right that should look bright.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Eeepies posted:

Is there any way to practice Absolute Radiance? I'm thinking of doing normal Radiance till I get used to the fight, but is there a difference?
Absolute is significantly, significantly harder. Everything is faster, they have more health, and an additional phase at the end as you climb up dodging the beams.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah don't even bother with normal radiance. Absolute Radiance is in the hall of gods, play it until you can beat it consistently

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I must have prayed at the Pure Vessel’s statue like 30 times until I could beat it consistently and I still barely scraped out a win, your nerves are shot by the end of these pantheons

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can beat Sly on his statue, but when I get to him in the pantheon, I just cannot hit him in his second phase. Really frustrating. :/

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I must have prayed at the Pure Vessel’s statue like 30 times until I could beat it consistently and I still barely scraped out a win, your nerves are shot by the end of these pantheons

For real. I had to put the controller down during the final climb because I was shaking.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MJeff posted:

I can beat Sly on his statue, but when I get to him in the pantheon, I just cannot hit him in his second phase. Really frustrating. :/

Are you using Mark of Pride? The extra length makes the timing a lot more forgiving, my strategy for the second phase was to always dash when he comes in for an attack and then just walk toward him and strike once. Then it's just a matter of dashing on time to avoid damage, knowing that you'll always get the hit.

I tried using spells during Sly's second phase but it always just messed up my internal timing and would result in me taking damage, which isn't allowed under Radiant difficulty so I stopped trying to do that.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I haven’t finished pantheon 3 or later but I’ve been playing around with a randomizer and it’s pretty cool. There’s a mod that makes it a lot more noob friendly by showing on the map where checks are and which ones you can reach with what you have. Played through a couple of seeds and gotten stuck on some others but it’s fun

here’s the guide I followed: https://tinyurl.com/HollowKnightRandomizerGuide

big deal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2020

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Alxprit posted:

Since you've seen it you can practice it, there should be an open part of the hall of gods on the far right that should look bright.

Ah, found it. Thanks, I didn't see the statue so I thought she was unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I'm working on getting all the achievements in this game... did the steel soul ones today, now I "just" have to do pantheons 4 and 5