Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The idea is to buy Primaris Marines and an Impulsor so you don't have to do that but yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Eej posted:

The idea is to buy Primaris Marines and an Impulsor so you don't have to do that but yes

Well, there is the significant difference that you can get out and shoot but can’t assault from an Impulsor that moves using the hilariously named Assault Vehicle rule.

:psyduck:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

a pale ghost posted:

so the idea is to get the rhino up as far as possible, pop smoke, and have the squad disembark next turn?

Pretty much yeah, go for the T2 charge.

Comedy option is having a combi-plasma on the rhino and overcharge it fishing for a 1. Rhino dies, emergency disembark, then the Berserkers that are left can charge.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Sab669 posted:

You make it sound so easy.

I've been humming and hawing over Orks or Death Guard [again] for like 2 weeks now :negative:

It's a combination of price, and play style that I just can't settle on.

The cost of Orks and most of what I've seen online of their point changes have me turned off a little. I love DG because they're thicc and never die, but I got pretty burnt out needing so many different colors for painting them in the past.

It’s not the cost of orks that will kill you it’s painting them all

Orks and DG have like completely opposite play styles so do you like mobile glass cannons and zany antics or a slower and more resilient list

The two times I’ve played against DG in 2k pt league games with my orks I mostly just poo poo all over them. Once with scrap jet buggy spam and the other time with straight boyz and a telyported gorkanaut going bananas in their back line. Good times

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Eej posted:

I actually really like Primaris Marines, they seem pretty cool. I would probably go Black Templars or Dark Angels if I did

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eej posted:

Even then, they can't charge out of the Impulsor if they deploy after it's moved. Strange they named the rule "Assault vehicle" and you can't assault out of it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

a pale ghost posted:

so the idea is to get the rhino up as far as possible, pop smoke, and have the squad disembark next turn?

From the 9th ed battle reports I've been watching it seems a good tactic to sit on top of the objective in a transport if you're a weaker troop unit, as it means you're harder to just shoot off the objective. Space Marines don't worry so much, but for Guardsmen being sat in a Chimera means that your opponent has to "waste" a at least one unit shooting at the Chimera as they can't say "i'll shoot half my shots at the chimera and the rest at the squad that will disembark"

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished off a levithan! Who knows how it will fair once the new forgeworld books drop, but it looks cool and was fun to paint.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kitchner posted:

How are you going to kill a tank?

If I was going to "an event" I'd take something like:

1 Company Commander
1 Tank Commander Demolisher
3 Infantry Squads
1 Hellhound

That;s like 420 points in 8th so there may even be room in there to add something else.

Krak missiles, burning blade on my LT, or tag it and let you deal with one pintle weapon trying to clear me off the tank. Or ignore it and win on objectives. I'll clear your 10 man squads with 24 guaranteed shots from frag missiles that can reach the entire board for a 9e combat patrol + weight of bolter fire from intercessors with Ultramarines combat doctrine in turn 2 & 3.

Your list is 505 points in 9th ed.
Company Commander 35 (laspistol+chainsword)
3x 10 man infantry squad 150
tank commander demolisher + heavy bolter 190
hellhound inferno cannon + heavy bolter 130

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 18, 2020

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Kitchner posted:

From the 9th ed battle reports I've been watching it seems a good tactic to sit on top of the objective in a transport if you're a weaker troop unit, as it means you're harder to just shoot off the objective. Space Marines don't worry so much, but for Guardsmen being sat in a Chimera means that your opponent has to "waste" a at least one unit shooting at the Chimera as they can't say "i'll shoot half my shots at the chimera and the rest at the squad that will disembark"

I'm running mono-Khorne Chaos so I'll probably be disembarking to get the berzerkers stuck in

R0ckfish posted:

levithan!

that is beautiful, nicely done!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

jassi007 posted:

Krak missiles, burning blade on my LT, or tag it and let you deal with one pintle weapon trying to clear me off the tank. Or ignore it and win on objectives. I'll clear your 10 man squads with 24 guaranteed shots from frag missiles that can reach the entire board for a 9e combat patrol + weight of bolter fire from intercessors with Ultramarines combat doctrine in turn 2 & 3.

Your list is 505 points in 9th ed.
Company Commander 35 (laspistol+chainsword)
3x 10 man infantry squad 150
tank commander demolisher + heavy bolter 190
hellhound inferno cannon + heavy bolter 130

To be fair I mis-read your list and thought your Dev squad was Heavy Bolters sorry!

If it's 505 I'd drop an infantry squad and take a 5 man Scion squad. I've not really tried to write any lists yet mostly because I want to be lazy and wait for Battlescribe to update.

a pale ghost posted:

I'm running mono-Khorne Chaos so I'll probably be disembarking to get the berzerkers stuck in

Then yeah, run the transport up the board, pop smoke, and go for the second turn charge. The deployment "gap" between armies is the same, but the deployment zones are shallower, meaning once your opponent sees thats what you're doing they don't have as much space to back off.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kitchner posted:

To be fair I mis-read your list and thought your Dev squad was Heavy Bolters sorry!

If it's 505 I'd drop an infantry squad and take a 5 man Scion squad. I've not really tried to write any lists yet mostly because I want to be lazy and wait for Battlescribe to update.

Then yeah, run the transport up the board, pop smoke, and go for the second turn charge. The deployment "gap" between armies is the same, but the deployment zones are shallower, meaning once your opponent sees thats what you're doing they don't have as much space to back off.

All good. Devestators and heavy weapons for infantry are really cheap compared to the points bumps of everything else in 9e. I'd expect to see them in a lot of SM lists for now. Bigger lists will likely still take the grav cannon squad, which is only 115 points now! Missile launchers or Lascannon squads are only 135.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

do World Eaters use cultists too or should I just stick to berzerkers?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

a pale ghost posted:

do World Eaters use cultists too or should I just stick to berzerkers?

You can use anything thats not a psyker or locked into another god (like plague marines) and i highly reccomend having some cultists because khorne berzerkers are just too expensive to be your only troop choice.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can use anything thats not a psyker or locked into another god (like plague marines) and i highly reccomend having some cultists because khorne berzerkers are just too expensive to be your only troop choice.

cool, now I just gotta figure out what to use for cultists since they only sell them as monopose figures with a weird combo of weapons!

e: these guys painted red and gold I think will do nicely. is Necromunda popular enough that these models won't disappear any time soon?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 18, 2020

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

a pale ghost posted:

cool, now I just gotta figure out what to use for cultists since they only sell them as monopose figures with a weird combo of weapons!

e: these guys painted red and gold I think will do nicely. is Necromunda popular enough that these models won't disappear any time soon?

May I suggest some of the warcry war bands

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Tommu posted:

May I suggest some of the warcry war bands

Checked out the official page and got a 404.

I ordered some Victoria Lamb heads and I'm gonna convert the Cadian kit into cultists of khorne. do cultists use the same base size as guardsmen?

double edit:

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 18, 2020

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
would victoria minis heads be good replacements for scout heads? i kinda hate the helmetless screaming look my scouts have.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

literally anything is better than the actual head that comes in the scout kit lol

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

a pale ghost posted:

Checked out the official page and got a 404.

I ordered some Victoria Lamb heads and I'm gonna convert the Cadian kit into cultists of khorne. do cultists use the same base size as guardsmen?

double edit:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warcry-Iron-Golem-2019

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warcry-The-Unmade-2019

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warcry-The-Splintered-Fang-2019

etc.

and i'm p sure they use the same base sizes yeah

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

a pale ghost posted:

I mean, if you are going Khorne...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Necromunda-Corpse-Grinder-Cult-2020

... I don’t really know how you can do better than those rascals for cultists

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I mean, if you are going Khorne...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Necromunda-Corpse-Grinder-Cult-2020

... I don’t really know how you can do better than those rascals for cultists

they seem like their models would be difficult to convert

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I would totally use some Enforcers with some genestealer headswaps and symbols to be Brood Brothers, they'd look sweet

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Cops being in genestealer cult armies feels very wrong. the hive mind recognises that ACAB

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Cops being in genestealer cult armies feels very wrong. the hive mind recognises that ACAB

thats why they killed the cops and stole their things

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

the rebels stealing cop uniforms and infiltrating a cop base is a staple of grain filtered sci fi

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I finally had time to sit down and look at the points changes a little closer and hoo boy, what a stinker? GW aren't exactly known for their amazing rules and balance, but supposedly they had help this time, right? Like, whats the point of doing massive sweeping changes on a bunch of things that you'd spent several years getting the balance somewhat on point? I mean, some of them are fine, a lot of them probably, but for a bunch of them it's pretty clear that the changes are completely divorced from the reality of playing the game. Like, why would the put someone who has clearly no idea how dork elves plays and what is good, in charge of changing the points for them?

The only explanations for some of these points changes I can think of are 1) the person in charge of points is an actual, legitimate, moron. 2) It's almost entirely algorithmic, with no manual checking. (yikes!) 3) The stats of everything is going to change in the future so the points will fit, and for some imbecilic reason GW decided to change the points before the stat changes?!

Just a tiny stupid example, but in what world is 5 points for a bonesword and 5 points for a lashwhip and bonesword reasonable? I guess in a power-level world.

It's not like the lashwhip makes a huge massive difference, but one is markedly better than the other, and pretty relevant because acolytes are so squishy (and often in combat). To be honest, rather than both of them being 5 points upgrades, they should probably 1 and 2 points upgrades respectively, if the model is 5. Which it isn't anymore, lol. 6.

Venoms cost more than starweaves. Guardsmen costs the same as a grot (wtf??) and a GSC neophyte is more expensive than both of them? The kabalite increase is loving nuts. Plasma guns, flamers and grenade launchers, 5 points on guardsmen, but plasma is 10 on a scion, who are now 9 points, which is pretty ridiculous by itself until you see a kabalite is also 9! Double yikes. I get it, heavy bolters are better on vehicles now, but c'mon! There are probably hundreds of complete head-scratchers. What were they thinking? Best I can figure out, some of it must come from some weird perspective of all 'upgrades' are equally good, and maybe that's what they're going to balance for in the future? All in all a lot of these point changes seem fine, but holy poo poo GW is terrible to let a bunch of this slip through.

E: it occurred to me that maybe they’re planning moving some of the abilities into the unit profiles. Like guard orders and grot shield rules, and that’s why they’re all supposed to cost the same, but it doesn’t actually change anything unless they’re going to balance those abilities further, in which case changing the points now is still stupid as hell. Also, kabalites.

Ee: like lovely infantry with 1 special rule = 5 points. lovely infantry with 2 special rules = 6 points. etc.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 18, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Warhammer as a whole has been an interest of mine for a long time, but mostly only the hobby components. Over the 25 years or so that I have been collecting, modelling, and painting I have had the opportunity to play a few games over the various editions. I also collected a lot of the army guides and codexes as well, and sometimes even tried to make some lists. I could never really get too deep into the game though, because honestly it is not a very good game.

The game is a sunk cost fallacy that exists after you have invested innumerable amounts of time and effort, and a very numerable cost in the models. The balance of the game is fairly non-existent, but if you want to be sure that your faction is least likely to be negatively impacted by upcoming revisions then you simply pick the army that is having the next big launch line-up. Be prepared to buy all new models though.

(I am not trying to be argumentative with you; I understand what you are saying and agree that the point balance changes seem capricious at best. Unfortunately, I just don't think this is all that unusual of behavior.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are there any other cool infantry focused and non-horde armies out there aside from SM and Death Guard now? Sisters seem cool but lol $100 for a box of 10 Sisters and some of their best units are still rocking that 90s bondage aesthetic I'm not a fan of. Tau are cool but I have no idea how the points changes have affected their good stuff and it seems kind of scary to run a bunch of guys who can't throw a punch in the "stand and hold objectives" edition. Necrons are a bit up in the air since they should be getting a whole bunch of new stuff soon and their current stuff is either really neat or extremely goofy (sometimes both).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Honestly the points cost don't feel like it was done by an idiot, because you can tell there is some sort of logic there, what it feels is rushed.

Like they spent so long working on the rules and indomitus etc, with a month or so to needing to start printing, they were like "poo poo we've not adjusted the points yet" and just slammed something in place.

Like everything goes up by 15% was the basis, and then there's some attempt to target clearly undercosted units like the TFC and some under utilised units stayed the same cost or got a lower increase, but then other stuff makes no sense (like all Guard special weapons being the same price). It feels like a first draft.

What's sort of annoying is I preordered the munitorum field manual but I reckon it will be outdated in the space of a few months.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 18, 2020

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Kitchner posted:

What's sort of annoying is I preordered the munitorum field manual but I reckon it will be outdated in the space of a few months.

Hey, it's me, the guy who ordered the Warlord's Edition of CA in December for the now-useless CP/VP trackers...

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Wargear seems messiest to me. The logic seems to be, "we're simplifying it so everything ends in a 0 or 5!", but the result ended up stupid and nonsensical with some good loadouts being cheaper than bad ones based on if they rounded up or down, leading to confusion on what possible use certain loadouts could offer.

Oh right, so you buy extra kits to get the 8 bits that didn't come with your initial kit. I'm getting how this game works now.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 18, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

actually3raccoons posted:

Hey, it's me, the guy who ordered the Warlord's Edition of CA in December for the now-useless CP/VP trackers...

Lol sorry, I had totally forgotten about that. I guess if things had been normal for 7 months at least you'd have got some use out of them, but if you're anything like me I've not played a game in 6 months.

If my order was from GW I reckon I'd maybe try and cancel the munitorum manual, but then again the other book does have all the missions etc which means I don't have to lug the rulebook to my games. It's ordered from my club though so I'd feel bad for cancelling.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Wargear seems messiest to me. The logic seems to be, "we're simplifying it so everything ends in a 0 or 5!" for wargear, but the result ended up stupid and nonsensical with good loadouts being cheaper than bad ones based on if they rounded up or down (frost weapons, etc)

To be fair I can see the logic in saying "right where possible let's have things be multiples of 5, as it means less pissing about to figure out how to spend the 7 points left in your list or whatever" as a starting point, and then reviewing everything again in comparison to everything else and going "do we still feel like this makes sense?".

When I did an exercise at work to build a tax risk register this is basically how I lead the workshop. I knew nothing about tax and just said to the guys "Look, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the least and 5 being the most, tell me how likely and impactful these risks are" and after we did the first pass we went back and went "OK, so now we are saying this risk is the same as that risk, which is less that these risks, does that make sense?" and to me it feels like this last bit that hasn't been done.

Maybe it is a deliberate move towards Power Level instead of points though, simplifying and standardising points so it aligns better with PL (i.e. It doesn't really matter which special weapon you have, only that you have one) but it would seem a pretty daft move considering how crazy unbalanced tournaments would be if they used PL.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

would victoria minis heads be good replacements for scout heads? i kinda hate the helmetless screaming look my scouts have.

I've used Scions heads for my scouts and Victoria minis heads on my guardsmen and they both look good scale wise, so I'd think Victoria heads would work on scouts.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I saw a guy who did some scouts with bald heads with the barcodes from the Hitman games on they necks. It always felt fitting?

:shrug:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Guardsmen having barcodes seems way more on the money to me than Space Marines who spend 8 hours in the daycycle wanking themselves with sacred ungents over how humbly superior they are

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

AdMech with QR codes would be great, and perfect if you could get them to work.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

QR codes would be great, and perfect if you could get them to work.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The only explanations for some of these points changes I can think of are 1) the person in charge of points is an actual, legitimate, moron. 2) It's almost entirely algorithmic, with no manual checking. (yikes!) 3) The stats of everything is going to change in the future so the points will fit, and for some imbecilic reason GW decided to change the points before the stat changes?!

I was watching a tabletop tactics vid last night where they heavily implied that it was #3. Which I agree seems like a breathtakingly stupid way to approach the new edition but at least there's hope, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
That seems to be what some people are thinking since some war gear now has the same name, but entirely different stats. Storm shields is the big example I can think of where everyone was confused and the faq was just along the lines of “use the old stats for your old units, and new stats for the new ones”, but that seems like it wouldn’t be a great way to handle things in the long run