Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ben Coates caught 96 passes as a tight end my first year of watching football, I thought he could do no wrong.

He and Barry Sanders made me love football. Barry is what football should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Ed Reed made me love the Ravens, even through their dark ages before Saint Harbaugh.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Todd Pinkston made me the man I am today.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not sure I have one (maybe Devin Hester?), but my brother's is Randall Cunningham.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Fran Tarkenton

The Russell Wilson of the 70’s

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Healthy Brian Westbrook for me. I was devasted when concussions got the better of him.

Or watching Dawkins merk people

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Hot Diggity! posted:

Here's a good topic, who's a player that made you love football? Robert Brooks was one of mine along with Antonio Freeman and Sterling Sharpe.

Thurman Thomas

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sunday Morning posted:

Thurman Thomas

Still can't believe he shared could have shared if the coach wasn't dumb as hell a backfield with Barry Sanders.

Barry played a little while Thurman was there, but man imagine all the things you could do with both of those guys.

e: gently caress a simple fake to Barry and then Thurman is gone to the house on a wheel route every damned time. If the defense adjusts just hand it off instead.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 18, 2020

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Dan Marino

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Todd Pinkston made me the man I am today.

Do you often bail on plans?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

TO

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Believe it or not it was Sam Bradford that got me into the nfl. Before him I only watched CFB and only Oklahoma at that. His Heisman year is what really made me into the football maniac I am today. Bradfords rookie season gave me so much hope for his future. Unfortunately that hope didn't last long.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Some combination of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas for me

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Here's a good topic, who's a player that made you love football? Robert Brooks was one of mine along with Antonio Freeman and Sterling Sharpe.

Marino. I watched every Dolphins game on TV from like 1990 until his retirement.

1995 was the first time I realized the super bowl was probably never gonna happen. Dolphins blew a 21-6 halftime lead. Pete Stoyanovich (who ironically did the kicking scenes as Ray Finkle in Ace Ventura one year prior) missed a game winning FG with 1 second to go.

It’s been all downhill ever since.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Derrick Thomas is my answer by the way. We've been kinda making GBS threads on him as a person a little in the AFC West thread but my god the man was transcendent on the field.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
When I was little, it was highlights of Lawrence Taylor almost killing people. When I was older, it was Peyton Manning going through a billion crazy audibles and signals before finding Marvin Harrison somehow wide open somewhere along the sidelines.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

For me it was Ed Reed. What more can I say?!

Grittybeard posted:

Still can't believe he shared could have shared if the coach wasn't dumb as hell a backfield with Barry Sanders.

Barry played a little while Thurman was there, but man imagine all the things you could do with both of those guys.

e: gently caress a simple fake to Barry and then Thurman is gone to the house on a wheel route every damned time. If the defense adjusts just hand it off instead.

There's this video where the reporter says "Tomorrow night Oklahoma State kicks off the 1988 football season. The big question is still -- can kick returning wizard Barry Sanders replace All-American Thurman Thomas in the backfield?" which was obviously pertinent back in the day but it's funny as hell nowadays

From all the players I never got to see playing Barry is my favorite and it's not even close

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Steve Smith

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You left off M BRADY

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Brett Favre

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Bo Jackson

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Jim Jensen.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

torgeaux posted:

Jim Jensen.

What position was he playing at the time?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

garrison hearst

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

nerve posted:

Brett Favre

:same:

Concurrently, the Steelers were in the Blitzburgh Cowher era, which was a fun time, but no one played football with Favre's level joy. Watching #4 play really made me love football

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Randy Moss and the rest of the 98 Vikings

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Prob Takeo Spikes. I really liked Corey Dillon as well of course but I remember Takeo as my fav. Spikes being around for the early Palmer era is one of my favorite what ifs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/trai_turner/status/1284214585570979841?s=19

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Def. Everyone in this subforum should read "Slow Getting Up"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

some combination of patrick peterson/kerry rhodes/daryl washington (big oof at that last one). warner was good and i was vaguely aware of the jake plummer years as a kid but that defensive core really got me paying attention to football

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

Seconding this. It’s a fairly short and an easy read, but a great look into the life of practice squad and depth type players.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just assume every team doctor is James Woods in Any Given Sunday?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Team doctors are like the HR department but on steroids.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eifert Posting posted:

fartknocker posted:

Seconding this. It’s a fairly short and an easy read, but a great look into the life of practice squad and depth type players.

Thirded. It's a little meandering but you get a lot of interesting tidbits that you just don't hear anywhere else.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ray Lewis when he took his first victim, Eddie George

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Marion Barber, of all people? Dude was insane to watch in his prime.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Marion Barber, of all people? Dude was insane to watch in his prime.

Obligatory greatest 2 yard run in the history of football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWbkIeG7qs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fartknocker posted:

What position was he playing at the time?

All of them.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Ths sheer brilliance of DeMarcus Ware was a sight to behold. He had a knack for making huge plays on third downs and late in games that I'm not sure I've seen from many other pass rushers. Shame those teams never accomplished much.

Yes I was very happy for him when the Broncos won it all

Tom Sellout fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Moss in ‘98. I was like 13 and even tho my dads side are all huge Vikings fans he’s the reason I started sitting down to actually watch games.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Randy Moss and the rest of the 98 Vikings

Shibby

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 18, 2020