Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know autopilot chat was a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in:

The only time I’ve driven a Tesla was when I rented a model 3 for 3 days during a trip to Dallas last October. I fuckin loved it and spent a lot of time just tooling around Dallas so I could drive that car. But part of the trip included a roughly 1 hour ride straight south of Dallas, and autopilot on that ride was ...just ok.

I definitely see the benefit of having it, but I wouldn’t exactly say I felt relaxed because I was constantly monitoring the steering wheel to try to figure out how often I had to nudge it to avoid the car yelling at me. I guess I was misinformed, but I had been under the impression that just resting my hand on the steering wheel would be enough to keep the car from yelling at me. I didn’t realize until I started using it that I had to actually give it a little nudge left or right every minute or so, even on long straight stretches of Texas highway. And the nudge it needed was actually more forceful than I would have expected it to be. There were a couple times when I gave the wheel slight nudges that were not detected by the car.

Maybe knowing the proper timing and strength to nudge the steering wheel to keep autopilot happy is a skill you pick up with time, but I didn’t master it in my 3 days with the car.

One pedal driving was awesome though.

I used it on my drive home when I picked up my model 3, I just kept my hands on the wheel and it never even asked for about 40-50 miles of freeway. Though I did pull it out of autopilot a couple times by myself because it drifted a bit to the right when the shoulder line was gone because of on-ramps, but the rest of the time it performed fine. It did get upset at a bit of traffic when someone changed lanes close in front of me, did the loud chirp and "take over immediately" but I didn't actually have to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm not a fan of one pedal driving at all and neither is my spouse. I ended up setting regen to low today and will just set it to high for long trips.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like one toe driving. Barefoot, long trip, heel on the floor, foot resting to the side, just the big toe in command.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know autopilot chat was a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in:

The only time I’ve driven a Tesla was when I rented a model 3 for 3 days during a trip to Dallas last October. I fuckin loved it and spent a lot of time just tooling around Dallas so I could drive that car. But part of the trip included a roughly 1 hour ride straight south of Dallas, and autopilot on that ride was ...just ok.

I definitely see the benefit of having it, but I wouldn’t exactly say I felt relaxed because I was constantly monitoring the steering wheel to try to figure out how often I had to nudge it to avoid the car yelling at me. I guess I was misinformed, but I had been under the impression that just resting my hand on the steering wheel would be enough to keep the car from yelling at me. I didn’t realize until I started using it that I had to actually give it a little nudge left or right every minute or so, even on long straight stretches of Texas highway. And the nudge it needed was actually more forceful than I would have expected it to be. There were a couple times when I gave the wheel slight nudges that were not detected by the car.

Maybe knowing the proper timing and strength to nudge the steering wheel to keep autopilot happy is a skill you pick up with time, but I didn’t master it in my 3 days with the car.

Fukken YOLO

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Reinforcing very positive stereotypes. Good job.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Reinforcing very positive stereotypes. Good job.

Hi i'm Bum the Sad

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Auto manufacturers who don't put in driver monitoring (the camera is actually there for it in the 3 and the Y) and instead rely on wheel torque readings are making such a tremendous mistake.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

Fukken YOLO

Thats probably illegal, dont post my_crimes.jpg on the forums

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

brand engager posted:

Thats probably illegal, dont post my_crimes.jpg on the forums

I'm gonna

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If you grip to the immediate left or right (depending on which hand you want to use) of the bottom spoke and let your arm hang there, there will be enough weight to show that you are present. Also, you'll be able to react when/if it veers unexpectedly. It might take some practice, but then you'll never get nagged.

But like, good lord, pay attention. You really need to be ready to take over.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

RZA Encryption posted:

If you grip to the immediate left or right (depending on which hand you want to use) of the bottom spoke and let your arm hang there, there will be enough weight to show that you are present. Also, you'll be able to react when/if it veers unexpectedly. It might take some practice, but then you'll never get nagged.

But like, good lord, pay attention. You really need to be ready to take over.

I need two hands to handle my magnum dong.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bum the Sad posted:

Fukken YOLO

This should really be thread-bannable or incur a hefty probe.
e:// just to clarify, if we rebooted the thread because the old one had to much cattyness and wanted to reposition this as a more informative thread, having posters promote this kind of idiocy is completely against the aims of the thread.

I know other manufacturers have shied away from making it seen like the car drives itself. Honestly does Tesla incur more liability in cases where the autopilot causes an accident ?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 18, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Yuns posted:

I'm not a fan of one pedal driving at all and neither is my spouse. I ended up setting regen to low today and will just set it to high for long trips.

How exactly does braking work on a Model 3? On my Volt, putting the gear in L makes it closer to one pedal driving, and I hated it. I instead kept it in D for better coasting and used the regen paddle to slow. The regular brakes seemed like they used pads more than regen, even a year and a half and I haven't mastered it fully.

I guess what I'm asking is can I coast in a 3 and have a way to always regen while slowing under braking unless I'm pushing hard because I really need to stop?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I guess what I'm asking is can I coast in a 3 and have a way to always regen while slowing under braking unless I'm pushing hard because I really need to stop?
The i3 and a few other models just have this thing where you kind of baby the pedal and it keeps the regen from locking in too much. Don't Teslas let you do that?

The Google says "put it in neutral!:downs:" which, uhhhhhhhh....

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FilthyImp posted:

e:// just to clarify, if we rebooted the thread because the old one had to much cattyness and wanted to reposition this as a more informative thread, having posters promote this kind of idiocy is completely against the aims of the thread.

I know other manufacturers have shied away from making it seen like the car drives itself. Honestly does Tesla incur more liability in cases where the autopilot causes an accident ?

Agreed, the death toll for this kind of behavior is at what, several? Now.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How exactly does braking work on a Model 3? On my Volt, putting the gear in L makes it closer to one pedal driving, and I hated it. I instead kept it in D for better coasting and used the regen paddle to slow. The regular brakes seemed like they used pads more than regen, even a year and a half and I haven't mastered it fully.

It doesn't really help with your question, but in the Leaf you can feather the brake pedal and hear the relays click for regen, then with a little more force you can feel the pads start to bite.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

lol ban or probe people because they post a picture of using a car the way you don't like, goons... :rolleyes:
Meanwhile we have the Crackhead Clubhouse forum

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Not sure exactly what you're asking but you have two options for regen braking, standard and uh less than standard. Standard is pretty aggressive and feels like heavy engine braking, you get used to feathering the pedal very lightly if you don't want the full beaking of the regen. It will still regen though as you feather the pedal.

You also have three options for when the car regen brakes down to a near stop, there's ROLL which is where it essentially goes into neutral, CREEP where it acts like an ICE car in 1st gear and will idle forward at a couple mph, and then there's HOLD which is the default and it brings the car to a complete stop via regen braking then I think applies the actual brake.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 18, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Brake pads in Teslas are triggered by the brake pedal only. They don't do blended like almost every other manufacturer.

Sometimes slamming on brakes in my Volt does this kinda this awkward split-second lurch where the computer goes "ah poo poo ah gently caress switch from regen to pads." It's really noticeable holding the regen pedal and then applying brakes with some decent force. If you tap the brake pedal in most other EVs, you'll only use regen until the computer decides you need pads.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Westy543 posted:

Brake pads in Teslas are triggered by the brake pedal only. They don't do blended like almost every other manufacturer.

Sometimes slamming on brakes in my Volt does this kinda this awkward split-second lurch where the computer goes "ah poo poo ah gently caress switch from regen to pads." It's really noticeable holding the regen pedal and then applying brakes with some decent force.

What about when "Hold" is enabled?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My 3 doesn't feel like it's coasting. If I take my foot off the accelerator with the normal level of regeneration, it feels like I'm braking with moderate to light pressure. The 3 immediately starts slowing. This is great if you only want to one pedal drive but I'd like to be able to really module braking with the brake pedal. I feel like I can't feather the braking as well.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

What about when "Hold" is enabled?

It probably does use them to bring you to a stop at very low speeds to actually stop you. Otherwise when you're say slowing down to a light it won't use them unless you press it AFAIK.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Westy543 posted:

It probably does use them to bring you to a stop at very low speeds to actually stop you. Otherwise when you're say slowing down to a light it won't use them unless you press it AFAIK.

Yeah that seems to be correct.

Here Endymion FRS MK1 I screen grabbed the page from my Model Y manual

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I hate how the Porsche Taycan doesn’t regen off-throttle, you have to use the brake petal no matter what.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I hate how the Porsche Taycan doesn’t regen off-throttle, you have to use the brake petal no matter what.

only the Leaf has a brake petal

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

only the Leaf has a brake petal

:hmmyes:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I genuinely don't get this - if you're off throttle do you not want to just coast? Why do you want braking action from the car other than when you're pressing the brake pedal?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

I genuinely don't get this - if you're off throttle do you not want to just coast? Why do you want braking action from the car other than when you're pressing the brake pedal?

It’s fine if you want to coast but if it’s an EV, give the driver the option to have their own level of regen choice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Especially in the case of a Porsche (though I've never driven one), I would expect it to behave like a high compression ICE with a manual transmission with a light flywheel, ie aggressive engine braking, because race car.
I would want the option on any EV, because engine braking is cool and good.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's useful in city driving/traffic or hilly areas where you're almost always accelerating or decelerating anyways, in my Leaf if I have it in max regen, I can simply keep a little pressure on the gas electron pedal to coast, the power display is helpful since it shows level of power going to accel/regen, with a big circle in the middle showing no power going either way.

It seems to be a real polarizing thing with EV owners, some (myself included) love it, some hate it, I think it makes the driving experience nice and smooth, especially since all the way off the pedal in max regen is about equivalent to coasting to a stop in gear, with a light press on the brakes, about how hard you'd want to brake in normal driving.

E: on my commute to work I know the exact locations where I need to let off the pedal to coast to a nice gentle stop for each stop sign/traffic light.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Fukken YOLO

I'm going to make the assumption that this is not a picture that you took and you instead just posted it to rile up goons. AI is full of car goons. Car goons have strong opinions about doing things with cars that put other people on the road at risk. And yes, posting about doing something that places other drivers at risk is can be worth a probe for in AI. Please do not do it again.

Yes, I will be an entirely humorless bastard about this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Speaking of Regen.. The Volt (at least the Gen2) does this weird thing that if any of the tires slip even the tiniest bit, it immediately cuts regen out. It can be quite jarring when it occurs.

At the end of the road I live on, there is always a little bit of loose gravel from a nearby gravel driveway. When I am slowing down there and any of the tires slip it immediately feels like the entire car lurches forward until the brake pads grab on.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm going to make the assumption that this is not a picture that you took and you instead just posted it to rile up goons. AI is full of car goons. Car goons have strong opinions about doing things with cars that put other people on the road at risk. And yes, posting about doing something that places other drivers at risk is can be worth a probe for in AI. Please do not do it again.

No it's mine, a water bottle works well too. Full self driving is really sweet. You should get one too, it's loving awesome.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 18, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I’ve also been experimenting with Velcro’ing a weight but the Velcro doesn’t seem to grip the wheel plastic as well as the tin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ultimately a self correcting problem I guess https://youtu.be/LfmAG4dk-rU

Hope there's no one in whatever you crash your car into :smith:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Elviscat posted:

Ultimately a self correcting problem I guess https://youtu.be/LfmAG4dk-rU

Hope there's no one in whatever you crash your car into :smith:

Yeah that would be unfortunate, hopefully its just me and a brick wall escaping hell earth.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Bum the Sad posted:

I’ve also been experimenting with Velcro’ing a weight but the Velcro doesn’t seem to grip the wheel plastic as well as the tin

:chanpop:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bum The Sad is the reason why Tesla’s crash into fire trucks.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Fukken YOLO

I can't help but wonder just how badly hosed you'd be if you were to get into an accident and have a cop see that on the steering wheel.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Bum The Sad is the reason why Tesla’s crash into fire trucks.

It's actually kind of surprising that none of the Autopilot-related accidents have involved stuff like that (at least, I'm assuming that if they had it would be prominently mentioned in any media coverage).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cockmaster posted:

It's actually kind of surprising that none of the Autopilot-related accidents have involved stuff like that (at least, I'm assuming that if they had it would be prominently mentioned in any media coverage).

There are plenty of autopilot defeat products still on sale on amazon so statistically there must have been a non-zero number of idiots that had accidents but without any deaths. Also using a simple mechanical weight check rather than a capacitive pad (along with driver facing cameras) is classic tesla

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It*really* shouldnt need to be said, but dont post yourself taking photos while driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

From the thumbnail I thought this was ammo in a rice cooker.