Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
EDIT: Eh, fair point. I don't think I'm on the same page here.

For content; any advice for farming motifs? Am I better off just trying to make gold and buy them than actually hunt them down?

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jabarto posted:

For content; any advice for farming motifs? Am I better off just trying to make gold and buy them than actually hunt them down?

Not sure what platform you're on but by now everything pre-Elsweyr should be cheap enough, tbh, that you can just farm gold and buy.

That being said, regional dailies are your best bet.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jabarto posted:

It depends on what you like to do - as Scy said - regional dailies are a fairly reliable way to get motifs and people frequently farm them a source of income.

I personally can't be bothered to do that.

I make ~300-400k in profit a week from selling crafted gear not including daily writs - so given the low level of effort required to make gold I prefer to buy them.

Edit: Also if anyone is interested in how to make money with crafting crap I can post about it - but it does require ESO plus to make it non hellish.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 2, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

FileNotFound posted:

Edit: Also if anyone is interested in how to make money with crafting crap I can post about it - but it does require ESO plus to make it non hellish.

What do you mainly sell, "trainers" for new characters to research desirable traits?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

FileNotFound posted:

It depends on what you like to do - as Scy said - regional dailies are a fairly reliable way to get motifs and people frequently farm them a source of income.

I personally can't be bothered to do that.

I make ~300-400k in profit a week from selling crafted gear not including daily writs - so given the low level of effort required to make gold I prefer to buy them.

Hells yeah. Teach us to be gold farmers, sensei.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

I would love to hear about that, I've just been selling alchemy ingredients and doing crafting dailies for money.

Also master crafting is something I'm specifically interested in so :buddy:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jabarto posted:

I would love to hear about that, I've just been selling alchemy ingredients and doing crafting dailies for money.

Also master crafting is something I'm specifically interested in so :buddy:

The two main main venues I follow for hilarious profitability is indeed blue training gear and high end crafted gear.

You will need to be in a guild that has all the crafting stations, and at minimum 2 trading guilds as you are going to focus on volume. I am in 3 trading guilds an the lowest is pulling 70k in sales.

You will want this mod:
Lazy Set Crafter - https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1697-DolgubonsLazySetCrafter.html

This lets you craft entire sets quickly but most importantly when you sell an item, the mail will have a button to re-add the item to the crafting queue.

Also get Postmaster - https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info850-PostmasterMail.html - as you will have a LOT of mail to deal with. Read all all, add each crafted sale to the queue, then use postmaster to Take All and delete the mail.

With that setup out of the way you will be able to maintain a set of listings for your crafted gear without having to manually track what is and isn't sold.

Now on to what to craft - if you look at https://alcasthq.com/ for the build guides you'll see the same sets across a variety of classes.

You'll want to make the following:

Stamina Sets:
Ancient Dragonguard
Hundings Rage
Night Mothers Gaze

Magicka:
Magnus's Gift
Julianos

Tanks:
Fortified Brass
Torugs Pact

In general, the stamina gear tends to sell much faster than the others but it all sells just the same.

I price all my blue training gear at 1600 per for regardless of level. The cost per item to craft is around 300. You will frequently sell 20-30 items a day. I've seen some list is as high as 3k per item but I've not had much success with volume at that point.

I craft level 10 sets only. If you want you can spread out the range a bit and also craft lvl 36 sets as that's about when a level 10 set becomes non viable. Why level 10? Well - 10 is about when people end up going dolmen farming and frequently wear that set till 50. Our buyers are not new players but lazy people who can't be bothered to craft for their alts.

So - that's your newbie gear - but that's not all you're going to craft. You want to also craft some legandary CP160 weapons. Costs will be ~30k per with listing price of 50-60k for 2h and about 77k for 1h (don't recall the price to craft 1 h). These will sell very slowly, expect a sale or two a week - but they are very handy to making the sales # requirements for many trading guilds. You may find things to work out better with purples but I specifically use the yellows to hit sales targets rather than profit. Avoid making yellow cp160 helmets and shoulders as the demand is very low due to monster sets. (I personally have been making Legendary Infused HR Bows as they are used by basically every stamina build ever)

The trading guilds you are in matter a lot. I personally have a trading guild for each of the capitals and that has worked fairly well. You may do better with trading guilds in starter zones but I have not seen seen any consistency in which town does better. All trading guilds will require some minimum quantity of sales - some will instead require weekly payments - my suggestion is to avoid any that require weekly payments and go with ones that have sales minimums instead. You will easily hit 50k/week per guild.

You want to be running TTC full time to get your listings on the website:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1245-TamrielTradeCentre.html

I don't know if this is the optimal way to make money in ESO, but it's been very low effort for me. Log in daily, do writs, add all your sold items to queue, recraft them, relist for sale.

Finally you are going to be going through large quantities of low end materials which you will need to buy. I suggest looking for well priced mats on https://tamrieltradecentre.com/ - also you will frequently find really good prices on neglected traders in remote areas as well as thief hideouts.

Edit: You'll find the guides for class builds frequently say to wear a mix of heavy/light/med armor - My experience has been that people do NOT follow this. Your heavy Magus chest will not sell for weeks even if it makes perfect sense to wear it for a caster and lights in other slots.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 3, 2020

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

This is great, thanks! One last thing; do you enchant the items you sell, and if so, how? Just health/stamina/magicka glyphs on tank/dps/healer sets?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jabarto posted:

This is great, thanks! One last thing; do you enchant the items you sell, and if so, how? Just health/stamina/magicka glyphs on tank/dps/healer sets?

Absolutely not for the blues.

It's going to double the cost of the items and I don't think people give a poo poo for training gear.

For the legendary bows, yes legendary infused, because people are looking for that specifically for the 2nd bar bows that most stam builds run. They have been consistent sellers. I try to keep 1 listed in each trading guild, but I don't think I've ever sold more than 2 of them a week - but hey 1 sale is basically half of the 250k goal for Forever Trading so it's handy to have that come from 1 slot.

Armor is easy, stam on meds.

I have not tried crafting tank and light armor for sale largely due to how easily accessible superior dungeon/overland is for those classes.

I don't make legendary light gear because Mothers Sorrow and Necropotence exists. I don't make 160 tanking sets because Ebon is so easy to get - by the time a tank cares about legendary gear they are swimming in raid gear.

Stam sets are a different matter, Hunding's Rage Divine armor tends to be pretty in demand and people still hate farming Maelstrom arena for the bow so those still move. Hundings Rage is only replacable by trial sets for many builds and many ESO players just don't do trials so they just put on legendary hundings and call it a day.

Edit: To be clear, yes there is a really good overland stam set, Brairheart, but it is generally run in compliment to Hunding's Rage, not as a replacement. A full 160 crafted set for stam would be hunding + Night Mothers Gaze - and most will skip NMG and just buy Brairheart as it's superior and tradable.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 2, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Thanks!

Ah shoot I’m a dirty console player so no mods for me. Still, I can now make full Hundings on my stam warden since I was too cheap to buy the poo poo. I may as well make it to sell!! Great idea!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Thanks!

Ah shoot I’m a dirty console player so no mods for me. Still, I can now make full Hundings on my Stamplar since I was too cheap to buy the poo poo. I may as well make it to sell!! Great idea!

Worth mentioning that I have not tried selling purple 160 gear but I imagine it's faster moving than yellows and given that without lazy set crafter managing high volumes will be tedious it maybe worth exploring for you.

Selling truckloads of crappy blues on the PC is easy - but I'd absolutely not do that poo poo by hand.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Thanks for the tip, I've already sold a few Torug's pieces even with a lovely thieve's den trader.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Long as I'm soliciting advice, is it possible to enjoy Battlegrounds once you're past level 50? I had a lot of fun trolling people with a tank build before, but feel like I'm at the point that all PvP games eventually devolve to where the only people in the matches are CP810 veterans with +5 Flawless Masterwork Dragoncock Maces of Curbstomping who just vaporize me in 2 seconds no matter what I do.

Crowd control effects seem to be the biggest issue, since and there doesn't seem to be any way to resist them. I usually blow my entire stamina bar just picking myself up off the ground or getting my character to stop clutching his head and screaming long enough to get my shield up.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Pvp is very bursty this patch. ZOS made healing and defensive gear worse while adding an undispellable AoE poison dot set.

If you're not 160 yet then it's probably best for your sanity to stay away from BGs. CP 10-159 is the worst time you can have there.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
In my idiot experience, once you hit level 50, pvp is a shitshow. I'll be the first to say I'm not GOOD at pvp and never have been, and the only reason I run battlegrounds at all is to get vigor and caltrops for my stam alts. Nonetheless, I had much more fun and felt like I could actually fight and contribute sub-50, but my level 50 character existed only to be stunlocked and curbstomped the entire time. Miserable.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
I'm a filthy console scrub and I could use some advice, I hit cp 160 with my DK tank and have pretty much copy pasted a stock skills set up for tanking. I can do any of the rando queue dungeons, but I'm not sure whats best to start working on now. I just equipped whatever had health stats for the last 50 levels.
If I understand the guides I'm reading I should:

be doing my undaunted quests daily, to get a monster set.

be farming easy to get overland sets?

Can I start messing with vet dungeons or will those just be impossible?
What are trials should I be joining groups for those or is that dumb to do as a newbie tank?

Also can I use this character to farm gear for my other characters or is the good stuff all bound on pickup to characters?

Also what is "Mythic" refer to in character guides for gear?

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 5, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

GarudaPrime posted:

I'm a filthy console scrub and I could use some advice, I hit cp 160 with my DK tank and have pretty much copy pasted a stock skills set up for tanking. I can do any of the rando queue dungeons, but I'm not sure whats best to start working on now. I just equipped whatever had health stats for the last 50 levels.
If I understand the guides I'm reading I should:

be doing my undaunted quests daily, to get a monster set.

be farming easy to get overland sets?

Can I start messing with vet dungeons or will those just be impossible?
What are trials should I be joining groups for those or is that dumb to do as a newbie tank?

Also can I use this character to farm gear for my other characters or is the good stuff all bound on pickup to characters?

Also what is "Mythic" refer to in character guides for gear?

Mythic is the new items that you can find using scrying for artifacts.

As a tank, you can do all non DLC vet content with ease. DLC Dungeons are a different matter especially on vet - Vet Scalecaller is hell on tanks for example...

You have no good overland sets that are worth farming instead you should get Ebon set, it's an easy dungeon - don't be shy and do ask people for heavy drops that you want.

Sunspire is fairly easy on tanks but getting a slot can be tricky as it's 2 tanks, 8 dps, 2 healers - and some do Sunspire with 1 tank 9 dps....

Either way I suggest finding a good guild that will run the trials with you - 1 trial is generally enough to get you all the gear.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You can transfer gear between characters just fine, not between accounts though if you have mutiple; just about everything is account-bound. Use chests and bank to transfer items.

Also CP is shared between all characters.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
This gives me unreasonably large amounts of pleasure:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Back on the topic of selling stuff - horrid week so far for me - half of the usual volume of trash is moving. Seems people are taking a break after the pvp event or something.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Back on the topic of selling stuff - horrid week so far for me - half of the usual volume of trash is moving. Seems people are taking a break after the pvp event or something.

Start selling Spell Power potions or Alliance Spell Draughts. Been seeing a lot of raid discords buying those up en masse

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Start selling Spell Power potions or Alliance Spell Draughts. Been seeing a lot of raid discords buying those up en masse

Buying the comps at a reasonable price is a hassle - but yeah always sell well enough.

Or you can be a dick and make "fake" Spell Power potions for massive profits since people rarely look beyond the name....

It's still weird to see such a massive fluctuation in volume overall - looking at the same for others this week is way down...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

To be honest, the midsummer PVP was so annoying it kind of made me take a break from the game (other than logging in for my daily reward and horse training)

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
This may be a super stupid question that's been answered a billion times before, but I didn't see any mention of it in the first page and I'm a stupid newbie to ESO (just started on stadia with my free month of pro).

My understanding is that if I want to play on steam, I'd need to buy another copy of the base game, but if I end up buying the greymoor bundle there and link accounts, would my stadia version have access to that DLC? Trying to figure out if there's a reasonable way to have the content on both platforms in case eso gets pulled from stadia like other Bethesda properties were pulled from GeForce Now.

Edit: this reddit thread seems to answer the question but I trust you all more than reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/hdrtvl/bought_elder_scrolls_online_on_stadia_can_i_play/

Alucard fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 11, 2020

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Alucard posted:

This may be a super stupid question that's been answered a billion times before, but I didn't see any mention of it in the first page and I'm a stupid newbie to ESO (just started on stadia with my free month of pro).

My understanding is that if I want to play on steam, I'd need to buy another copy of the base game, but if I end up buying the greymoor bundle there and link accounts, would my stadia version have access to that DLC? Trying to figure out if there's a reasonable way to have the content on both platforms in case eso gets pulled from stadia like other Bethesda properties were pulled from GeForce Now.

Edit: this reddit thread seems to answer the question but I trust you all more than reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/hdrtvl/bought_elder_scrolls_online_on_stadia_can_i_play/

You will need non vendor linked copy - but don't buy it on steam. Buy a CD key for much cheaper. There is no good reason to have ESO linked to Steam - unless it's an Argentina steam....

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

I really wish there were more weapon options for magika builds. Like I love the Warden I’ve started but like want to have her be a caster that uses bows and a dagger because it fits my ~*~class fantasy~*~ better.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hegel Exercises posted:

I really wish there were more weapon options for magika builds. Like I love the Warden I’ve started but like want to have her be a caster that uses bows and a dagger because it fits my ~*~class fantasy~*~ better.

Warden can get way using warden spells and mage guild spells well enough if you are just trying to do quests.

I do agree with you that the lack of magika weapons is disappointing because paladins and spellswords are cool and were a thing you could do in elder scrolls.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

FileNotFound posted:

I do agree with you that the lack of magika weapons is disappointing because paladins and spellswords are cool and were a thing you could do in elder scrolls.

This exactly, this is a real point of frustration about this game for anyone with a passing interest in the RP part of RPG's. It's also a thing you can do in a ton of other video games...

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

This.

I love Elder Scrolls and I actually think the ESO engine and mechanics are pretty good for an MMO, but I don't think the two fit together very well at all.

People will usually tell you to just transmog your robes into heavy armor if you want to play as a battlemage or whatever, but it's really not the same as being able to wear actual heavy armor while also being a fully effective spellcaster, like you can in the ES series. Having your weapon define some of your abilities is mechanically interesting, I think, and it provides a middle point between having it just be a stat stick (WoW) or letting it literally define your entire class identity (FFXIV). But again, it's really not compatible with Elder Scrolls-style gameplay.

That said, I'm not sure how you'd implement completely classless gameplay in a (traditional) MMO? As long as you allow respeccing, there's always going to be an optimal build that a lot of people will go for, and so you risk ending up with a classless system having less variety in practice than a conventional class system.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FileNotFound posted:

Magicka DK, stamina Necro or stamina Templar are kind-of spellsword-y, albeit MagDK still uses staves (since, yeah, no magicka weapons).

e: Or stamina Warden and stamina Sorcerer for that matter.

Really most of the stamina classes use magic-like abilities, you just can't go magicka if you want to do spellsword/battlemage stuff.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 17, 2020

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Dual swords used to be pretty good for magicka dps actually, and is still kinda ok I guess.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I've made most of my money with an auction house guild and doing writs on 18 characters. Even with lazy writ it still a bit of a slog when you hit the higher teens everyday.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

frgildan posted:

I've made most of my money with an auction house guild and doing writs on 18 characters. Even with lazy writ it still a bit of a slog when you hit the higher teens everyday.

If you are working on that volume, you should precraft everything. The writs rotate so you can make hundreds of everything and just get quest, use bank, turn in.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The biggest time sink with doing writs is the login screen. I've got precrafted potions and food and the other stuff is easy to craft, and even without eso+ dumping the mats into the bank is not too time consuming (except the provisioning ingredients why are there so many of them), but the time spent logging out and logging in comes close to the time actually spent in game.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That sounds so fun.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
is there an optimal way to research traits, I got the perk that lets me do three at a time. Should I just be focusing on ten items at once and getting as many traits on those pieces, or should I be spreading it out?

Is there like an optimal break point for traits for useful sets to craft?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

GarudaPrime posted:

is there an optimal way to research traits, I got the perk that lets me do three at a time. Should I just be focusing on ten items at once and getting as many traits on those pieces, or should I be spreading it out?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Craftable_Sets
My understanding is that New Moon Acolyte which requires all 9 traits is one of the best so if you're going that route you'll want everything eventually. That said, there are a number of good 6 trait sets, so once you get to 6 it might be worth it to reserve one slot to cycling up some other stuff. In the time it takes to take one item from 6 to 7 you can get an item from 0 to 6 (7 to 8 is 0 to 7 or two items 0 to 6). That's especially useful if you're going to do master writs. It might also be worthwhile getting most stuff up to 3 before you start pushing out since the short timers can be more of a pain to manage (and it also clears ever important inventory space). I didn't plan my research out very well, but if I had to do it again that's what I'd do, (get everything to 3, then push three of them to 6, then use 2 slots to push stuff up to 8/9 while cycling in the others up to 6) I'd also tell myself invigorating is garbage and don't research it if there's anything else at all to research instead.

For jewelry you should absolutely alternate necklace and ring, though, since they're separate and you can only do one at a time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

GarudaPrime posted:

Prioritize Training and Divines. Don’t be a dolt like me and leave divines to the end so it takes you 27 days to get the most useful enchant.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

FileNotFound posted:

If you are working on that volume, you should precraft everything. The writs rotate so you can make hundreds of everything and just get quest, use bank, turn in.

Yea I general have most of the items premade it's just the loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio force ape
Apr 3, 2016

Doctor Zero posted:

Prioritize Training and Divines. Don’t be a dolt like me and leave divines to the end so it takes you 27 days to get the most useful enchant.

whoa! that's really rough.

listen to this guy. for just everyday crafting for your alts, newbies, lowbies or beginner 160 gear, these two will come up the most frequently.