Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

In case anyone hadn't heard, since G Fest is cancelled, there is going to be the free online Kaiju Con-Line happening on the 11th & 12th of July! Lots of programing, dealers, photos, etc! It should be a lot of fun!

http://kaijuconline.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
I love ‘Destroy All Monsters’! The global monster rampages and Ghidora getting absolutely wrecked are pure gold and the alien plot is fun, IMHO.

Now- it’s ‘All Monsters Attack’ that just totally blows. That glorified ‘clip show episode’ HAS to be the consensus choice for worst of the Showa Era, right? It’s the only one I don’t like. Having all your monster fights take place entirely within a kid’s daydream is bad enough but the majority of them are just recycled from ‘Son of Godzilla’ and ‘Ebirah’! I like those movies for their light, breezy feel but they were janky enough without being repackaged into an after school special. I DO kinda like Gabara’s design, in a ‘rejected Kure Kure Takora suit’ kinda way...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Magic Pus posted:

Now- it’s ‘All Monsters Attack’ that just totally blows. That glorified ‘clip show episode’ HAS to be the consensus choice for worst of the Showa Era, right? It’s the only one I don’t like. Having all your monster fights take place entirely within a kid’s daydream is bad enough but the majority of them are just recycled from ‘Son of Godzilla’ and ‘Ebirah’! I like those movies for their light, breezy feel but they were janky enough without being repackaged into an after school special. I DO kinda like Gabara’s design, in a ‘rejected Kure Kure Takora suit’ kinda way...

Interestingly people have been reevaluating that movie in recent years. While certainly it's a clip show, it also feels like on some level exploring the downside of being a latchkey kid in 60's Japan than being a giant monster movie.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Dawgstar posted:

Interestingly people have been reevaluating that movie in recent years. While certainly it's a clip show, it also feels like on some level exploring the downside of being a latchkey kid in 60's Japan than being a giant monster movie.

yes, the fandom re-evaluation seems to have been along the lines of "no, this isn't a good *godzilla* movie, but its nonetheless a decent *movie* about a specific time, place, and circumstance"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Magic Pus posted:

I love ‘Destroy All Monsters’! The global monster rampages and Ghidora getting absolutely wrecked are pure gold and the alien plot is fun, IMHO.

Yeah any movie with The Kick in it can’t be the worst one. Even implying that is an insult to Gorosaurus really.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drakyn posted:

Hey this seems vaguely applicable to this thread: https://twitter.com/beeragon/status/1276569706573463554

This is canon.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Magic Pus posted:

This is the last one I've watched in the box set up to this point and even though it barely counts as a Godzilla movie and most of the Kaiju footage is recycled, I actually like it for what it is. Doesn't hurt that it's barely over an hour long.

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010

robot roll call posted:

This is the last one I've watched in the box set up to this point and even though it barely counts as a Godzilla movie and most of the Kaiju footage is recycled, I actually like it for what it is. Doesn't hurt that it's barely over an hour long.

Ok- I’ll give you that! In any case, Godzilla vs Hedorah comes up next to get the taste out. I understand that that one wasn’t too well received contemporaneously, but has similarly been more charitably re-evaluated. It’s one of my favorites! It has the fun, youth-culture feel of the ‘island films’ coupled with some great fights and FX. Hedorah is an excellent kaiju concept, with its inherent themes of pollution harkening back to the beginning of the series- all while still being psychedelic and silly as hell. It’s one of the first I’d choose to show a newcomer to Godzilla.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

G vs Hedorah is in my top three Godzilla films, and Hedorah is one of the truly frightening Kaiju enemies in the series.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Toho retweeted it, so now it is, yeah

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It is now

https://twitter.com/toho_godzilla/status/1278044862294536194?s=21

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1278510900434161665?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why is Godzilla in a random anime? Crazy that they'd show him kill a kid like that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well that was weird.

You know as absolute garbage the netflix animated Godzilla was, I really did enjoy it's 'atomic breath'.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why is Godzilla in a random anime? Crazy that they'd show him kill a kid like that.

I haven't seen the movie, but apparently Hatsune Miku is in it too. So Miku is canon in Godzilla.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A friend is asking for the Mothra theme used in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. I can't find it on YouTube or Spotify. Anyone know where it can be listened to?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

A friend is asking for the Mothra theme used in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. I can't find it on YouTube or Spotify. Anyone know where it can be listened to?

... Mothra isn't in either Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah or vs. Monster Zero. Is your friend maybe thinking of GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

... Mothra isn't in either Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah or vs. Monster Zero. Is your friend maybe thinking of GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack?

I was about to say "Of course she is, she's" and then went Oh. Oh. I was reading that wrong.

Uh, yeah. Your options for movies that feature Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah, and a version of Mothra's theme are the follows- Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, GMK, Final Wars???????????? and Godzilla King of the Monsters 2019

EDIT: Like, Goddamn this question floored me. My brain picked up "Mothra Theme, Godzilla, Ghidorah" and just auto corrected GTTHM as the answer without actually comprehending the question

Burkion fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 4, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

Final Wars????????????

For as much fan-servicey wank there is in Final Wars, I don't believe Mothra has a recognizable theme in it. She's barely in the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah I was a bit confused myself but it's been forever since I watched it. I'll ask him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Shinkalion crosses over with basically everything at some point or another, it's more than a little insane. There's also been an Evangelion crossover, for some reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1279450632961708035?s=20

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The first official still for Godzilla vs. Kong is here, and it's a Brazilian shitpost meme. Go figure.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures_br/status/1282766749260066816

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We need to talk about buoyancy again

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

The first official still for Godzilla vs. Kong is here, and it's a Brazilian shitpost meme. Go figure.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures_br/status/1282766749260066816

Already gone.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

It turns out that it was WB Brazil slapping a shitpost meme on top of some fan art/a fan reconstruction of the leaked shot from that convention last year. Apparently this isn't even the first time that WB Brazil has been using unauthorized fan-art to make dumb meme posts either lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm glad it's not real, I don't think King King should be taller than Godzilla

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
there are too many giant monsters in this movie; please remove at least three. i am not a crackpot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1283103243418120192

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I just want:

Right head: "Raarh!"
Middle head: "Roooaaar!"
Left head: " ... line?"

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Davros1 posted:

I just want:

Right head: "Raarh!"
Middle head: "Roooaaar!"
Left head: " ... line?"

Rie Ota or nothing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rISRifRAKyI&t=121s

Great roar at 3:11

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I just found out that Atragon is now streaming on Prime. And I am off of work tomorrow, convenient.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1284535471016685570?s=19

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Just one little still but I don’t love the heavier and heavier direction they’ve moved godzilla since 2014. His plates get larger and his head smaller relative to his body, and he’s lost a lot of the ursine profile he had.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't like how they are standing on an aircraft carrier.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Did they shrink Godzilla to make Kong’s height less ridiculous?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah, Kong's been growing. They say he's still growing in Skull Island.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't like how they are standing on an aircraft carrier.

Look, if physics were realistic in Kaiju films, they'd be five minutes long and have no kaiju monsters.

Violator
May 15, 2003

It looks like a dock to the left, so maybe Kong is just launching off the aircraft carrier or they quickly tip over or it crumbles apart a second later.

It’s just a photo from a toy box, but I hope this wide angle full daylight framing is indicative of the movie’s visuals. More Skull Island color and clear views of the creatures and less thunderstorms and night blurriness of KOTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel dumb for just now realizing that the first movie was called Kong Skull Island and the next one is Godzilla vs Kong is because they made such a big deal about Godzilla being King of the Monsters in Godzilla King of the Monsters so when Kong beats Godzilla at the end of Godzilla vs Kong somebody can dramatically say "now he's King Kong"