Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah totally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And marks

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I’d say it was all worth it if now wrestlers in the future realize WWE’s keepaway contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on but most wrestlers are stupid and we will 100% see this scenario play out again with someone else in the next 2 years

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its a really good listen. at the beginning gallows says he called anderson a loving mark for wanting to go to wwe instead of staying in new japan and then karl spends like an hour basically proving him right because he actually thought triple h was his friend and heyman liked him, but he’s so charming and theres a pang of sadness when he’s candid about it so its hard not to be sympathetic. very interesting to hear them be so honest about feeling like they hosed over the young bucks for more money and regretting it but i guess its easier for them to be honest about it since theyve patched things up

gallows really thinks heyman is a piece of poo poo but triple h always comes across like the biggest slimeball on these things.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Super No Vacancy posted:

triple h always comes across like the biggest slimeball on these things.

He comes across as someone who will always just say what you want to hear.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Triple H wishes he could become as much of a slimeball as Heyman.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’d say it was all worth it if now wrestlers in the future realize WWE’s keepaway contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on but most wrestlers are stupid and we will 100% see this scenario play out again with someone else in the next 2 years

I mean, this entire story is pretty much a bunch of people told them it would be bad. They did it anyways and it was really bad. People threw them lifelines and they set them on fire even though the WWE was bad. Things were still really bad. They got fired and it was also bad and they think everyone lied to them except for Vince, the man with the most power and the one in charge of everyone who lied to them.

I just don't get it besides the money and I don't see how there is any amount of money that would get people to be cool with the way WWE treats talent.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean, this entire story is pretty much a bunch of people told them it would be bad. They did it anyways and it was really bad. People threw them lifelines and they set them on fire even though the WWE was bad. Things were still really bad. They got fired and it was also bad and they think everyone lied to them except for Vince, the man with the most power and the one in charge of everyone who lied to them.

Cults often have this effect on people.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It's an actual cult, the leader cannot be the bad guy.

edit: gently caress, beaten.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah, one of the beautiful (evil) things about a corporation is it does the hard work of a cult for you. Cults hinge on convincing you that you need the cult and the abuse to survive. Thankfully corporations have money and jobs. You need money to survive. Once you break down that barrier of "you need me" the rest is easy.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

The Croc posted:

Or, he actually means some of this stuff, and thinks he can follow through on it - then gets cut off at the knees by Vince in the end. It's unlikely, but it's possible. We honestly have no clue on how middle management genuinely feels about this poo poo. They often have less job security than the wrestlers. HHH himself got demoted, Heyman fired and that's just this year.

WWE cut people during a pandemic. That is a decision that is so ruthless that only the top person can make. The opinions of middle management under that scenario mean basically zero, and they really just do what Vince wants done.

How any wrestler can still fall for the 'Vince liked me, but X middle manager was the rear end in a top hat that cut me' is loving insane at this point.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Don't defend triple h

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

fantasy booking the back office

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Eat My Fuc sock puppet detected

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

lmao at anyone taking Paul Heyman at his word in 2020

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

hunnert car pileup posted:

lmao at anyone taking Paul Heyman at his word in 2000

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Good Brothers are dumb as hell and I'm glad someone else got their spot in AEW. I'm assuming that's Butcher and Blade.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Good Brothers are dumb as hell and I'm glad someone else got their spot in AEW. I'm assuming that's Butcher and Blade.

I assumed it was Santana/Ortiz, which is a huge upgrade.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Agreed. Bin them

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i'm assuming it was jake hager since he was brought in as the first episode ending shock debut

we could potentially be living in a hager-less timeline

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i'm assuming it was jake hager since he was brought in as the first episode ending shock debut

I could see Hager coming in regardless, since he and Jericho are buddies, but Anderson/Gallows being the ones to attack the Bucks at All Out would've fit right in.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

JUNGLE BOY posted:

iirc it was supposed to be cain velasquez at the end of the first dynamite but wwe signed him first

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
The thing to laugh at AJ about isn’t not liking or trusting Heyman, it’s that he’s happy to spout about how he’s still happy at WWE while holding that attitude.

“gently caress Heyman and Vince” is a pretty reasonable attitude. “gently caress Heyman for convincing Vince to fire my friends, but I’m still cool with Vince” is just nonsense.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

81sidewinder posted:

Or, he actually means some of this stuff, and thinks he can follow through on it - then gets cut off at the knees by Vince in the end. It's unlikely, but it's possible. We honestly have no clue on how middle management genuinely feels about this poo poo. They often have less job security than the wrestlers. HHH himself got demoted, Heyman fired and that's just this year.

WWE cut people during a pandemic. That is a decision that is so ruthless that only the top person can make. The opinions of middle management under that scenario mean basically zero, and they really just do what Vince wants done.

How any wrestler can still fall for the 'Vince liked me, but X middle manager was the rear end in a top hat that cut me' is loving insane at this point.

Sure totally yeah, but if the end result looks malicious and someone has that much power you need to assume malicious intent. "Don't assume malice what can be attributed to stupidity" is about people stealing your work at lunch or parking wrong or something. It's not about decisions that have a huge impact on people's lives.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

The only real shocker that Heyman said one thing and Vince said the opposite is that one of them is telling the truth

True, but the idea that Vince didn't want to fire them but he had to because mean old Paul told him to is loving ridiculous.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Croc posted:

He told Brodie that he could get him into NJPW (or, failing that, NXT). He 100% only says those things to get people to stop asking for their release or get them to stop being angry. It's incredibly transparent. I think it was even Brodie or Chris that said something along the lines of "If he wanted me in NXT, I'd be in there."

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 18, 2020

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Gonna set the over/under on "When I look at you, I see your kids" making it into BTE next week at "right before the intro music hits"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

True, but the idea that Vince didn't want to fire them but he had to because mean old Paul told him to is loving ridiculous.

The statement that Vince was looking to release people for cost cutting reasons and Paul said "what about these guys, they're paid too much" so Vince wouldn't release one or more of Paul's pet projects instead (and then lied about it) sounds pretty credible actually.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The real takeaway should be that they were expendable to everyone involved in the decision.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sure totally yeah, but if the end result looks malicious and someone has that much power you need to assume malicious intent. "Don't assume malice what can be attributed to stupidity" is about people stealing your work at lunch or parking wrong or something. It's not about decisions that have a huge impact on people's lives.

Maybe I explained myself poorly. It's really not giving the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure HHH has many moments of being an unrepentant shithead, and we have zero reason to think his hands are clean. Its that we have almost zero insight to what actually goes on there when the people who lived it don't even understand they have been worked. The Hoots and AJ falling for the 'Vince might have kept me if that drat middle management wouldn't have had it in for me' shows that even supposedly savvy vets fall for Vince's carny 101 tactics.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

81sidewinder posted:

The Hoots and AJ falling for the 'Vince might have kept me if that drat middle management wouldn't have had it in for me' shows that even supposedly savvy vets fall for Vince's carny 101 tactics.

Styles has been to Japan via airplane for years and still thinks the world may be flat, nobody has called him smart

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

AJ Styles signed multiple contracts with TNA.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We have discovered evidence through painstaking use of the scientific method that wrestlers might by and large be idiots.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

AJ Styles signed multiple contracts with TNA.

And the Good Brothers just signed a new one, in 2020 lmfao

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

And the Good Brothers just signed a new one, in 2020 lmfao

It was probably either that or indie wrestling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

81sidewinder posted:

Maybe I explained myself poorly. It's really not giving the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure HHH has many moments of being an unrepentant shithead, and we have zero reason to think his hands are clean. Its that we have almost zero insight to what actually goes on there when the people who lived it don't even understand they have been worked. The Hoots and AJ falling for the 'Vince might have kept me if that drat middle management wouldn't have had it in for me' shows that even supposedly savvy vets fall for Vince's carny 101 tactics.

Sure we can't know their motives but you also can't act like HHH is powerless in this because he obviously isn't. He's not middle management. He's pretty firmly high in WWE's power structure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sure we can't know their motives but you also can't act like HHH is powerless in this because he obviously isn't. He's not middle management. He's pretty firmly high in WWE's power structure.

Saying WWE has a "structure" is very generous.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Saying WWE has a "structure" is very generous.

Sure it's like 3 people. Vince, Steph, and his real son trips.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The current TNA seems to be fairly friendly to the worker as far as doing indies and stuff too. Which is part of how they got where they were before they inexplicably became somehow less friendly to working indies than WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sure, he has power. But, he only has power in the sense that Vince allows it. He has zero power to ultimately veto Vince, which is really the only point I'm trying to make here.