Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If I can’t get a 2-door in blue with a white topper, Ford can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Took of some rusty weighty parts that slows the car down and also painted sum poo poo. Oh and put door panels back on.

And now finally got that stupid little pipe bend that I'm pointing at.
The piston is red cause then it goes faster. :thunk:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Captain Kosmos posted:

Took of some rusty weighty parts that slows the car down and also painted sum poo poo. Oh and put door panels back on.

Nice 99! I sold my 99T back in March. I need to sort out my next 99 project car as I miss having a working one! :)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Reserved it, after waiting for Ford’s site to un-gently caress itself. Dealer already called me and said I’ll be able to place the official order in a few months. I went for a Badlands trim in 2-door and manual. I’ll spec out the Sasquatch package as well when I do the official order. Antimatter Blue or Cactus Gray.

Two door and a manual! That will almost certainly be a rare bird. Interested to see how it drives.

I really would like to get one for my wife which means 4 door auto for sure. Seems similar to the 2011 Escape she has but with like, real capability.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Reserved it, after waiting for Ford’s site to un-gently caress itself. Dealer already called me and said I’ll be able to place the official order in a few months. I went for a Badlands trim in 2-door and manual. I’ll spec out the Sasquatch package as well when I do the official order. Antimatter Blue or Cactus Gray.

7-speed manual transmission in those? That's kinda rad.
Do the manuals have a proper low range?
It's kind of a shame you can't get the 2.7 with a manual. I'm guessing the transmission just can't take the power.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

chrisgt posted:

7-speed manual transmission in those? That's kinda rad.
Do the manuals have a proper low range?
It's kind of a shame you can't get the 2.7 with a manual. I'm guessing the transmission just can't take the power.

Cnet posted:

If you're a DIY guy or gal and you like your footwells with three pedals, Ford will happily sell you a Bronco with a Getrag seven-speed manual -- provided you're willing to stick to the 2.3T. This isn't a seven-speed like you'll find in a Porsche 911, or in the recently departed C8 Corvette. No, this transmission is essentially a traditional six-speed unit with a dedicated crawler gear. This gearbox is available with a scarcely believable 95:1 crawl ratio for peak climbing prowess. This ratio is so low it almost sounds like the driver will be able to hop out and walk alongside the truck as it scrambles slowly over everything, guiding it along like a horse on a lead. (It should go without saying, but don't actually try this. Seriously.)

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The 2.3 with the 7 speed is going to be really interesting because that’s the same engine that my FoRS has and with just an ECU reflash to an e30 tune it’s now north of 400HP and again as much torque.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Doing shocks and struts on the wife's Civic this weekend. May the warmth of the blue tipped wrench be with me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

So about that Sasquatch package and your manual:

https://jalopnik.com/a-2021-ford-bronco-sasquatch-stick-shift-will-be-like-b-1844394812

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Huge_Midget posted:

The 2.3 with the 7 speed is going to be really interesting because that’s the same engine that my FoRS has and with just an ECU reflash to an e30 tune it’s now north of 400HP and again as much torque.

But it likely won't have the same turbo and other stuff to get you there.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’ll wait and see when the order time comes around but if it’s not available, it will still be rad. The Badlands still has the locking diffs, Bilstein shocks, sway bar disconnect, and seven-mode GOAT selector. Not like I’m going to be taking it across Mongolia. Yet.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oil change, and pulled off the engine cover because it was ugly.

The engine is almost as ugly, lol. Shame it doesn't look as clean as the gen 1/2 coyote.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wow, is everything accessible from a servicing perspective?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

No kidding, that was my first thought.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I guess that depends on your definition of accessible? Its probably no worse than any other modern car with a largeish engine (I've only had to do oil changes so far). Pull off the airbox and coolant overflow and you have decent access to the belt drive like any other RWD engine. It's mainly the absurd amount of...stuff over top of the valve covers that makes it messy compares to early 5.0's:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

But it likely won't have the same turbo and other stuff to get you there.

The Ranger already has that same 2.3, so what turbo setup does it have?

opengl128 posted:

The engine is almost as ugly, lol. Shame it doesn't look as clean as the gen 1/2 coyote.

When I first heard the 3.0 Duramax has a timing belt that requires the transmission to be removed for service (because it's at the back of the engine) I thought GM was crazy.

Looking at modern engine bays, it might be quicker to drop the transmission than to clear everything out of the way to get to the front.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Ranger already has that same 2.3, so what turbo setup does it have?

No idea, I'm far from a Ford guy, just an guy with opinions. :v: But I'd be pretty doubtful that just because the displacement is the same that a bronco and a boy racer mobile would have the same turbo and other supporting stuff. Completely different goals.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Found out today that the Hilux we just got in is ALSO has a solid front axle. Didn't even occur to me that it would be solid, guess I took for granted that it stopped in the USA long ago for the IFS lands.
In 1994 in Japan you could spec a Toyota Hilux pickup as a single cab, long bed, 4x4, diesel, 5 speed manual, AC, vinyl interior bench seat version. Neat!

This weekend will see new tires and refinished wheels going on it. For now, it hovers.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Love that truck. Perfect spec sheet. And I like the tie-downs on the outside of the bed.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Just 6.0L things.

Had to chisel the unison ring off the turbine housing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Working on modern engine bays is such a pain in the arse.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
drat that's rough.

I cut the spring perches off the ten bolt that's going in my 51 Chevy. Ground it all smooth, scrubbed a lot of rust off and painted it. Motor and driveline swap in two weeks!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Attempted to go for a drive...

Clutch cable on the locost is toast, end broke off shortly after taking that photo. Took the E28 out instead.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

opengl128 posted:

Oil change, and pulled off the engine cover because it was ugly.

I think mine looks fine :colbert:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 19, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What exactly is the point of the cone filter? Doesn't that have less surface area than the stock one? Or did the do a ford and waste all that space?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Not being a Ford Engineer(tm) I think its a smaller filter but has more surface area due to being conical instead of the flat paper filters that come stock in the Ecos and GTs.

E: Stock stang filter

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 19, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Not being a Ford Engineer(tm) I think its a smaller filter but has more surface area due to being conical instead of the flat paper filters that come stock in the Ecos and GTs.

E: Stock stang filter

Eh, yeah it might. And as long as the top goes back on the filter box at least it's still a (factory) cold air intake. But I can understand leaving the top off just to make the noise too.......

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Theres no cover for mine. That gasket seals around the hood when closed. You're looking at the factory config.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Theres no cover for mine. That gasket seals around the hood when closed. You're looking at the factory config.

Ohhhh...now that I look again that explains how tall the box is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FatCow posted:

Just 6.0L things.

My condolences.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

StormDrain posted:

Love that truck. Perfect spec sheet. And I like the tie-downs on the outside of the bed.

Just wait till you have to drive it down a bad road... those leaf sprung hilux's make a loving bulldozer feel like a Bentley in comparison... I had high end shocks, springs, greasable everything under mine and it was a still spine shattering hard ride.

Speaking of, I had my 508,000km old 1992 hilux in the workshop the other day, trying to get the brakes to work properly!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

FatCow posted:

Just 6.0L things.

Looks like you had to put an alternator on it recently, too. What a joy, those are NOT cheap.
At least you don't have the cab off, that's the epitome of 6.0L things.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ferremit posted:

Just wait till you have to drive it down a bad road... those leaf sprung hilux's make a loving bulldozer feel like a Bentley in comparison... I had high end shocks, springs, greasable everything under mine and it was a still spine shattering hard ride.

Speaking of, I had my 508,000km old 1992 hilux in the workshop the other day, trying to get the brakes to work properly!

I believe that, you should have driven the Binder with sagged front springs that were bouncing off the bump stops at every pothole. Washboards were deafening due to the flatbed and toolboxes rattling.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I welded the rust patch into the RX-7, finally:

One of these days I'll get good at welding this stuff. At least I didn't blow any holes into it this time until I went back and rewelded a few spots that had less weld than I liked...

Stuck the cleaned and primered upper hinge back on:

Now to weld the braces back on, then on to sanding everything and epoxy primer everywhere.

I also had to replace the siren for the alarm on my Crown Vic. The original one just up and died suddenly last week. Thankfully, I have several sirens scavenged from wrecking yards and such. Just had to drill new screw holes, since the original was a compact siren, and the "new" one is a standard one.

edit:

Captain Kosmos posted:

Aren't they supposed to make it go slower? Better paint them, ummm... blue? Black?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I welded the rust patch into the RX-7, finally:

One of these days I'll get good at welding this stuff. At least I didn't blow any holes into it this time until I went back and rewelded a few spots that had less weld than I liked...

Stuck the cleaned and primered upper hinge back on:

Now to weld the braces back on, then on to sanding everything and epoxy primer everywhere.

There always seems to be a go back spot on sheet metal! Looks good when dressed and makes me feel better seeing it raw. Good job regardless.

Was that a purchased patch?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

There always seems to be a go back spot on sheet metal! Looks good when dressed and makes me feel better seeing it raw. Good job regardless.

Was that a purchased patch?

Thanks!
No, it was cut and folded from flat sheet (that used to be a VCR casing...) pics are over in my thread of the fabrication. I really should have probably made it out of individual panels fitted first then welded together. It was tough as heck to get it all to line up with acceptable gaps as one piece.
I also should have probably found a slightly heavier gauge piece of steel. The car is, as I recall, 20 gauge, and the steel I used is 22. Something like that. Still worked fine. Non-structural - just closing a gap, basically.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh wow if you bent that up great job, I definitely thought it was a manufactured patch panel. And welding on thin stuff blows hard. Like you literally blow through it. Seems like your wire speed could be lower? Each little weld I did was just a half second squeeze, and when the prep and setup was perfect I would get a flat 3/16" puddle, most of the welds were like a little zit though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just make sure you get the back of that repair painted too, the entire back of the weld is now bare, burnt-clean metal and will rust very very quickly. I'm a fan of the Eastwood internal chassis coat for this purpose, and as long as you use the right brand and type of brakleen (non chlorinated, with as little other than methanol, acetone, heptane, and maybe xylene in it as possible - unfortunately getting hard to find due to voc regulations) you can flush the wand nozzle out with it and reuse it... Or even put it on some brands of regular spray paint cans.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
No today, but cleaned the underside of the car and sprayed the suspension parts etc with Bilt Hamber DYNAX-UC rust protection. It's a brand new car, so doesn't really need it that much, but I figured it'd be nice to keep the underside looking mint. Also discovered that someone had tried lifting it in the wrong location and that the underseal was broken on a small part of the sill. Heavy coating of rust protection went there.

Also tried my hand at blacking out the silver color trim with the help of vinyl wrap. Pretty fun stuff, and the results are pretty good for being the first go around. Looks so much better blacked out than with big chunks of matte silver trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KerenskyWhite
May 23, 2008
Attempted to remove bell housing bolts on e36 today. After finding out they were a torx socket, bought torx sockets. Hoped my little ratchet would get in there and take care of them. Oh no. Not these bolts. They're going to need a breaker bar... but there's like zero room. I do not want to pull the transmission with the engine. I don't want to remove the cars front clip to allow that.

I'm probably going to end up having to do that. Wonder what I'll break next! :v: