Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Threw a new Yuasa in the rex after I got sick of the whole "oops, you didn't light on the first three grinkas, now you have to push me" malarkey

also found more rust spots I have to treat, yaaay

(i don't give two gobbledyshits about underbody rust on my car since it's drat near inescapable here but goddamnit I will not have this bike stolen from me if I can swing it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally got my parted out seat in the mail and took it apart to prep.

Time to start slashing foam. I need to source some decent replacement vinyl cover material too, this one smells like rear end FOR SOME REASON so I definitely won't be reusing it.

I'm thinking maybe shag carpet for extra luxury.

E: I ordered a running yard of this. I wanted something a little less slippery but I hope whatever “hi tac” is, it isn’t TOO tacky. Not like it’s too expensive to replace if I don’t like it, at any rate.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 16, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Supradog posted:

Quality on most of the first gen bike lipos was craaaaaap. no low-voltage cutoffs or integrated charging circuitry. And there is still cheapo units sold that lacks this. The weight loss if you don't race is really not worth it. Cold crank Amps is the only real benefit, but the battery type dont like the cold so much..

There was a post somewhere that had disassembly of some faulty units, cant find it right now. real horror show with crap quality and solutions.

Newer Lithium batteries are better, and they're pretty abuse tolerant, Husky and KTM use them in their dirt bikes, and glorified dirt bikes, they're also comparable in price to nice AGM batteries now. Annoying in cold weather though, you hit the starter and they wheeze and moan through half a cycle, then you let off the starter button, that first wheeze warms the battery, and you hit it again and voila, starts like a normal battery.

I had a problem leaving the key on in my Husky, followed by a problem rewiring my Husky that drained the battery, and after 5 or so complete discharges the bike would not start after running until bumped. This is still pretty good imo for that amount of abuse. I ripped the battery open for analysis by Kastein of AI, who is an EE and has ripped on lovely Lithium batteries in the past, he said the OEM Husky (clearly made in the same factory as the aftermarket I got to replace it) looks pretty decent. I'm sure a Shorai or Yuasa Lithium would be even better, here's pics:

Bulging pack was surprisingly not the failed pack, it was the scariest though. New batt looks, familiar?

Oh, I also put the 2000 YZ125 back together today in a marathon 6 hour session, after working 26 straight hours.

It runs like absolute loving perfection (after dialing in the rebuilt carb) can be tractored around at a slow putt putt, absolutely rips when given the beans, heavy smoke from assembly lube when first started, seems better now, starts on the first kick every time, holy poo poo I could not have reassembled the shift linkage without YouTube.

But I'm proud as gently caress of myself right now, until it grenades again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Changed oil and filter on the dr650, put barkbusters on, realised the previous owner had hosed around with the control placement so that the levers wouldn't clear the backbones, went to fix all that up, realised that the previous owner had replaced the standard hex-head bolts with poo poo soft phillips heads which he then tightened down hard and stripped, removed those (dremeling slots into them, yay) and replaced them with bolts from a box of spare suzuki bolts I bought on impulse a month ago.

Realised I'd left the bike on the whole time and this time I've absolutely killed the battery, can't go get another one because I'm self isolating pending the results of a rona test.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A battery tender or a bump start should revive a barely-dead battery.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You should always have a battery tender lead on your battery, ready to go to hook up to a charger and charge it/maintain it.

Not only do I do this, but I have a spare battery ready to go in the house just in case (which I keep topped up via a charger + clips every few months).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My bike is on my tender whenever it's home. Dead battery isn't fun to figure out when I'm on a trail.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've decided to put a relay in to stop parasitic drain when the bike is not in use. The r/r has a switched current line which I'm running through the 85-86 relay wires, and putting the main battery line on the 87-30 line. That means the components can only draw current when the bike is running.

I also sprung for Lifepo4 rather than lipo, as while they have less capacity per cc, they tend to last the better part of a decade.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So kind of a 2 weeks of work update on the 1995 DR350 I bought last month:

-Tires are good, almost no wear and a 2018 date code.
-Oil and brake fluid look clean
-Checked and tightened spokes.
-Replaced the chain and sprockets, went with 15/42 gearing, halfway between the stock gearings for the off road and the dual sport versions.
-Checked rear wheel bearings and greased the axle on reassembly.
-Air filter looks like a K&N, dirty but not so much that I am going to clean it yet.
-Threw some Seafoam in the tank just for peace of mind on the carb, and I've put about 100 miles on it since then.
-Upped the fork preload from zero to 3/5, feels much better now.
-Installed a RAM mount for nav since I'm not really familiar with the area I'm riding in
-Made copies of the key today since I only had one and it was looking ragged
-The speedo is pretty dialed in according to my phone's GPS, off by 1 MPH at 60 MPH

On the to do list:
-Replace the 2" lowering link with a stock linkage (parts in the mail) then re-measure rear sag
-Replace turn signal relay with one that will let me use lower wattage bulbs or LEDs (in the mail)
-Check valve clearances
-Change sparkplug
-Consider respringing forks and refreshing shock if I plan to keep it
-Ride it as much as I can

Went on a ride yesterday and lost a side panel somehow on a 50mph country road. Didn't notice until I got home, but went back in the truck and found it. Today I got some new bolts and lock-tited them in. The side panel has a tire tread mark on it now which I think is staying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That looks perfect next to the stylized 90’s tire tread graphics anyway

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tyro posted:

So kind of a 2 weeks of work update on the 1995 DR350 I bought last month:

-Tires are good, almost no wear and a 2018 date code.
-Oil and brake fluid look clean
-Checked and tightened spokes.
-Replaced the chain and sprockets, went with 15/42 gearing, halfway between the stock gearings for the off road and the dual sport versions.
-Checked rear wheel bearings and greased the axle on reassembly.
-Air filter looks like a K&N, dirty but not so much that I am going to clean it yet.
-Threw some Seafoam in the tank just for peace of mind on the carb, and I've put about 100 miles on it since then.
-Upped the fork preload from zero to 3/5, feels much better now.
-Installed a RAM mount for nav since I'm not really familiar with the area I'm riding in
-Made copies of the key today since I only had one and it was looking ragged
-The speedo is pretty dialed in according to my phone's GPS, off by 1 MPH at 60 MPH

On the to do list:
-Replace the 2" lowering link with a stock linkage (parts in the mail) then re-measure rear sag
-Replace turn signal relay with one that will let me use lower wattage bulbs or LEDs (in the mail)
-Check valve clearances
-Change sparkplug
-Consider respringing forks and refreshing shock if I plan to keep it
-Ride it as much as I can

Went on a ride yesterday and lost a side panel somehow on a 50mph country road. Didn't notice until I got home, but went back in the truck and found it. Today I got some new bolts and lock-tited them in. The side panel has a tire tread mark on it now which I think is staying.

I’m not biased at all but cool bike

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks again to everyone who convinced me to go buy this thing. It is fun as hell and I haven't even had a chance to take it off road yet.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m not biased at all but cool bike

Heck yeah you too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That bike may be my favorite that I've owned. I love the DR650 but the 350 was pretty perfect in terms of ergos and performance for me.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Tyro posted:

lol on a somewhat kind of related note I once lost my top box down an embankment after forgetting to lock it to the bike on a slightly inebriated ride up some logging road to catch a sunset. I somehow managed to find it bobbing in the river, still intact :D

anyways, I changed the coolant today. this is how you burp an LC8 like a genius instead of all the dipshit ways posted on ADVrider (using straps to hoist it to the ceiling lol):

baaaahahah I found the thread photos like come tf on dudes you're all ancient divorced engineers:

right arm fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 18, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That bike may be my favorite that I've owned. I love the DR650 but the 350 was pretty perfect in terms of ergos and performance for me.

I love my 350 so much that I bought it back from the guy I sold it to. It was gone almost two years and I wanted it back every day it wasn’t here. I paid the same amount he paid me, and he put two new tires, new grips, bars and bark busters on it - and only rode it 400 miles.

It needs a new clutch (slight slipping in high gear - DR350 things) which I already bought, and it’s got 21k miles but it starts and runs like a champ. It’s such a tractor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RE: Losing parts of your bike chat

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I love my 350 so much that I bought it back from the guy I sold it to. It was gone almost two years and I wanted it back every day it wasn’t here. I paid the same amount he paid me, and he put two new tires, new grips, bars and bark busters on it - and only rode it 400 miles.

It needs a new clutch (slight slipping in high gear - DR350 things) which I already bought, and it’s got 21k miles but it starts and runs like a champ. It’s such a tractor.

Yeah I've been riding off and on for almost 20 years and this is my 7th bike I think? And I'm just loving it. I really hope I can find a way to store it for a year or two instead of selling.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

RE: Losing parts of your bike chat

Whoops

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Before:

After:

The stock plate mount was wicked stupid. Protip: don't ride through a bunch of puddles down dirt roads before removing your rear fender.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

lol on a somewhat kind of related note I once lost my top box down an embankment after forgetting to lock it to the bike on a slightly inebriated ride up some logging road to catch a sunset. I somehow managed to find it bobbing in the river, still intact :D

anyways, I changed the coolant today. this is how you burp an LC8 like a genius instead of all the dipshit ways posted on ADVrider (using straps to hoist it to the ceiling lol):

I feel like you should be worried it won't hold the wheel straight, but obviously that worked and I don't see anything locking it in place on the bars.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I feel like you should be worried it won't hold the wheel straight, but obviously that worked and I don't see anything locking it in place on the bars.

all the newer KTM adv bikes all have OEM WP steering dampers (I have a hyperpro RSC) so I did not have any worries about the wheel flopping to one side or the other, but on a 9x0 that would be a good thing to think about!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

The stock plate mount was wicked stupid. Protip: don't ride through a bunch of puddles down dirt roads before removing your rear fender.

Protip: don't ride through a bunch of puddles after removing your rear fender, unless you like skunk stripes of dirt up your back

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Twisted a caliper the wrong way while reattaching it to the newly sealed forks, which hosed up the banjo-to-hose seal. So now I'm in the market for brake lines and not riding the TLS this weekend. gently caress.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seat Comfort gel seat, looking forward to this and an optional fairing for road trips:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That looks like an extremely comfortable seat

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hope so, its at least wider and it has a gell layer, so maybe it won't bother me as much after riding for hours. Regardless, the stock dr650 seat was the first OEM seat I've owned that clearly had to go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weirdly, my DRZ400sm came with the Suzuki gel sweat as well as the OEM seat.

The OEM seat was way more comfy. No clue how they hosed that up

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
gel is a description for what it turns your nards into

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I don't mind my gas bike being a bit ugly and beat up, in fact I kind of like it that way. But I ride through a lot of weather and the golding of the exhaust was starting to stand out to me.

Today I polished them up and got them back to silver. Other than some stains on the stainless they're back to original as far as I care. Here's a before/after shot:

Unfortunately my phone doesn't pick up the difference hardly at all, it seems like it's doing some color processing that's making them look a lot more colorful than the naked eye sees.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Seat Comfort, or Seat Concepts? Never heard of the former, and the latter doesn't make gel seats.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Suzuki made a gel seat upgrade for the DR, is it that? I see them being listed on ADVRider from time to time with the caveat that “this isn’t what I thought it would be!”
Definitely curious how it is because the stock seat gets pretty miserable after about 100 miles.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

Twisted a caliper the wrong way while reattaching it to the newly sealed forks, which hosed up the banjo-to-hose seal. So now I'm in the market for brake lines and not riding the TLS this weekend. gently caress.

False alarm! The master cylinder wouldn't return when I first squeezed the lever after assembly so I thought I lost pressure somewhere. But once I figured out that I could grab the plunger and pull it back to position, it held pressure just fine. So it could probably use a rebuild or at least a cleaning, but it's not a showstopper.

While the TL was down, I took the Seca and GS up the local 3488' mountain. The Seca feels so good it makes me think I should replace the fork seals (known bad) and JC Whitney rear shocks. But really, I should sell it and the Goldwing and get a Roadliner or Raider since I'm kind of over ratbikes, and I have a surprise tax refund on the way.

I made an attempt to verify that the DMV accepted my Goldwing registration; it's been on PNO for a few years. I waited in the phone queue for 2 hours, and also tried the online live agent chat. I finally got through to a live agent, who told me he didn't have rights to look anything up and to call the phone number. So don't get any fancy ideas about getting info from the DMV these days that's not pre-printed on the website.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

all the newer KTM adv bikes all have OEM WP steering dampers (I have a hyperpro RSC) so I did not have any worries about the wheel flopping to one side or the other, but on a 9x0 that would be a good thing to think about!

I wouldn't have expected the damper to have enough force to hold it straight, weird

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

it’s pretty stable since all the weight is mostly on the center stand and the damper is a street one so it pretty much is always doing something to slow the movement of the bars. the jack stands are just to keep it from pivoting back and to the right. either way you just have to hold it there for maybe 5’ while you pull the bleeder screws on the heads so it was nbd

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ordered a new set of shocks for the 125, £30 for the pair. God I love small bikes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Question:

Replaced the clutch in the DR350SE. Still waiting for a new cover gasket to button it up but I assembled it with the old one and went to try the clutch, and had a problem. The lever doesn’t spring back and pulling in it doesn’t actually seem to disengage the clutch or do anything. It’s just floppy. This is my first bike clutch replacement so maybe there’s something I’m missing? I soaked the friction plates in oil and replaced them in the same orientation as the factory ones, replaced the release springs, and then closed it up. Is it possible that too much torque on the spring bolts can cause an issue? I didn’t go hog wild...

Edit: adjusted the cable and that made it work. I’ll fine-tune it once the gasket and new oil filter/oil arrive. I hadn’t accounted for the probability of the cable having been adjusted in the past 23 years...

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had to come up to the mountains tonight so tested out the Bluetooth receiver dongle. It's pretty good if you're not going fast but inaudible above 120kph.

The ride up the mountain was lovely in the setting sun. I've been vaguely thinking about changing the fireblade for something more upright, maybe a hypemotard, but it's just a great bike.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Question:

Replaced the clutch in the DR350SE. Still waiting for a new cover gasket to button it up but I assembled it with the old one and went to try the clutch, and had a problem. The lever doesn’t spring back and pulling in it doesn’t actually seem to disengage the clutch or do anything. It’s just floppy. This is my first bike clutch replacement so maybe there’s something I’m missing? I soaked the friction plates in oil and replaced them in the same orientation as the factory ones, replaced the release springs, and then closed it up. Is it possible that too much torque on the spring bolts can cause an issue? I didn’t go hog wild...

Edit: adjusted the cable and that made it work. I’ll fine-tune it once the gasket and new oil filter/oil arrive. I hadn’t accounted for the probability of the cable having been adjusted in the past 23 years...

If you're at the tight limit of your cable adjustment, you may be able to adjust it all the way to the loose end, and take another step on the splined shaft that comes out of the clutch cover.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jazzzzz posted:

Seat Comfort, or Seat Concepts? Never heard of the former, and the latter doesn't make gel seats.

D'oh, you're right. Here I thought the label attached to the seam was unnecessary, but apparently it should be even larger for people like me.

Edit: According to my order it is:

"Suzuki (1996-20) DR650 *Comfort* × 1
Complete Seat / Carbon Fiber Sides/Gripper Top"
It's a Seat Concepts Comfort Seat, so everyone wins.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For the life of me I can't get my SRAD GSX-R to work with the pit bull fork stands. Used fork stands all the time on my Daytona with no issues, but I was having a bitch getting the fork stands not to rotate as it lifts which then causes the bike to fall off. Said gently caress it and used the head stand, which was very easy once I removed a bolt for the steer stabilizer to move it out of the way. Got the front wheel off with no issue and even managed to replace the valve stem with the help of a harbor freight trigger clamp, but I decided not to fill the tire up and try out the bike as I don't want to put it all together just to take it apart to get new tires. I still have to remove the rear wheel, but assuming that goes well I can drop the wheels off at the bike shop to get some tires put on this week.

Started working on my next project of rebuilding the front calipers and immediately hit a wall. The front banjo bolts are supposed to be torqued to 16 ft-lbs, but they are STUCK on. I had to remount the caliper to the fork leg to get extra torque, then proceeded to slightly round off the banjo bolt head I was working on. I sprayed it with aerokroil that I purchased but haven't had a chance to try out yet (it does smell nice!), I'll let that sit on them bolts for the rest of the day and give them another shot tonight. I have a feeling I should start spraying everything I'm going to work on with aerokroil a day before I plan on doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Went for an afternoon trail ride, noticed a small crack in the tail license plate thingy, figured it wasn't a big deal, a few miles later I noticed a weird noise, and the whole thing had gotten sucked into the rear tire somehow, and ripped my license plate off, and turbofucked that piece of plastic.

I also tried to turn my foot into a loving taco, and now I can't walk.

I also got shot with an airsoft or BB gun.

7.5/10, had better rides.

E: I'm pretty sure I would have broken either my ankle or foot if I had been wearing lesser boots than my Tech 7's.