Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i think matt's point is that video games are interactive rather than passive and also communal, which people invest their energy into instead of logging off and going outside to build solidarity. obviously, he's never experienced the camaraderie that's shared by a close knit elite team of trickshotters honing their craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

lol if you haven't grown closer as friends by getting your friends killed in PUBG.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So what would a fully developed video game industry be putting out?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The creative peak of the video game industry was the golden age of adventure games, and Disco Elysium is the future we could have.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Goast posted:

those aren't the same thing

for certain people it's absolutely a similar condition lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Being grill pilled means barbecuing with your friends and loved ones

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

I Before E posted:

The creative peak of the video game industry was the golden age of adventure games, and Disco Elysium is the future we could have.

wrong, it's making gamers experience moral existentialism and self-sacrifice through the trojan horse of anime android butt

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think fetishizing the military and police through all forms of media is the problem and boomers like to focus Video Games as the problem because they are jealous that we got such better video games.

You can debate whether we had better TV, movies, fashion, or music, but we definitely had better video games

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Being grill pilled means barbecuing with your friends and loved ones

BBQing is good but the patriarch as grill master Americana poo poo is bad. Standing in front of your hobby propane grill doesn’t take a community. Get a whole pig and feed your neighbors. That’s praxis right there.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
in case Matt hasn't realized people shouldn't be going outside if they can avoid it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Outside is fine as long as you keep your distance from others not from your household.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I think what Matt is trying to say with getting grill pilled is to get offline and develop skills in real world that you feel will add value to your life and focus on forming communities that can affect change on the ground because you won't accomplish anything of meaning on the online space. This honestly seems to be completely detached from a reality where sharing video and information on social media allowed people to bypass a media information freezeout and led to one of the largest waves of civil unrest in United States history and had people storming police stations and burning them to the ground.

I think his argument against this is that the protests fizzled out with no actual changes occurring because a lack of a mainstream organization or leader to take the head of the movement, which he attributes to everyone being too busy playing video games and dunking on people on Twitter to form one, therefor get off the internet and do it. I think this is a completely independent problem of the conditions of the average person just being good enough to prevent to formation of one and if conditions worsen something will materialize.

Matt seems to see the failure of the Sanders campaign and the BLM protests as a failure of the online space, where I think it can be seen as the nascent seeds of the power of it. Maybe I'm misreading his position, but that is what I've gotten from his streams.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The failure of the sanders campaign was going up against a massive media ecosystem and entrenched wealth. The odds were stacked against him and it was always going to be a long shot, if anything the internet has been a net positive force in spreading broadly left wing sentiment. God knows I probably would have been a Biden democrat had it not been for places like twitter or CSPAM.

As a student of history with his drunk history episodes, he of all people should know just how entrenched the forces that want to preserve this system and are to what lengths they will go. They have all the money, all the control over mass media, all of the control over the police structures. The only thing we have is our ability to connect with people outside our immediate circles to organize, indeed it's the only way any of us arrived at our ideological positions in the first place.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the ep and I'm glad they did a 180 from the Taibbi poo poo.

I didn't like how they had a big bit about how the press doesn't actually wield any political power and fighting against the shitheads in it is boxing at shadows and then turn around in the second half and says "oh yeah the press can make or break a candidate".

Like them saying "it wasn't the press, democrats were saying it too" for the war in Iraq case, the whole problem was that politicians and press became a self reinforcing cycle of everyone repeating the bullshit to each other until they all believed it. If the press had any integrity whatsoever that cycle breaks. I'm not sure where this "the press does nothing" idea is coming from... especially after the experience of framing the discussion and simply never platforming points of view that aren't "capitalism with fascist characteristics" and "fascism with capitalist characteristics".

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fame Douglas posted:

That's obviously untrue as well, unless you think the absolute mainstream is all that exists.

Give us some examples

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Give us some examples

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Fortnight

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also the BLM protests are still going.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kunster posted:

Also the BLM protests are still going.

It was absolutely infuriating a few eps ago listening to Matt talk about how the protests had been completely subsumed by Lib poo poo like painting Black Lives Matter in front of Trump tower or just being about bad statues now and how the cops have learned to not be aggressive and let things peter out when the riots and protests have continued since and people are still being murdered and brutalized by the cops even in the last week.

For someone constantly publicly ranting about the dangers of modern technology and social media, Matt (And all the Chapos to a lesser extent) sometimes gets to where he only takes in news from his friends online retweeting horrible lib-brain poo poo and what the dumbest pundits in the world are talking about and ignores anything else to be pessimistic.'

That combined with his latest streams which are largely "Old Man Yells About New Fangled Contraptions and How They're the Root of the issue" really just feels like him falling into his old gripes since his last attempt at believing in something blew up. Which I get but his old gripes are just kind of banal or dumb as poo poo.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

So I see this as a bit of a Woke left vs dirtbag left, thing, it follows all the pattern, misrepresenting intentionally or just being bad at listening vs saying things of substance on slightly complex things.

Question to you guys, where/who are the pearl clutching anti-dirtbag variants of content creators? Like thoughtslime i guess? I never find their ideas are discussed in longform and ive never really seen it in a debate format tbh.

Not saying it doesnt exist, but i would like to check it out, any recommends?

So does no one know of any really woke left content creators or do they just not really exist on the same scale?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

papa horny michael posted:

His hours long edition rants are enjoyable to some here, but I've found them to be both boring and lack any grounding in the moment. I'd think it's likely due to their seeming enormous shock at the extent of the Bernard boondoggle.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It was absolutely infuriating a few eps ago listening to Matt talk about how the protests had been completely subsumed by Lib poo poo like painting Black Lives Matter in front of Trump tower or just being about bad statues now and how the cops have learned to not be aggressive and let things peter out when the riots and protests have continued since and people are still being murdered and brutalized by the cops even in the last week.

For someone constantly publicly ranting about the dangers of modern technology and social media, Matt (And all the Chapos to a lesser extent) sometimes gets to where he only takes in news from his friends online retweeting horrible lib-brain poo poo and what the dumbest pundits in the world are talking about and ignores anything else to be pessimistic.'

That combined with his latest streams which are largely "Old Man Yells About New Fangled Contraptions and How They're the Root of the issue" really just feels like him falling into his old gripes since his last attempt at believing in something blew up. Which I get but his old gripes are just kind of banal or dumb as poo poo.

Nothing against the guy, but I agree and never got the appeal of watching someone get day drunk and yell at their phone for an hour.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

OctoberCountry posted:

Nothing against the guy, but I agree and never got the appeal of watching someone get day drunk and yell at their phone for an hour.

I listen to them on my commute so for me its just talk radio

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Matt would be well served to take a 2 week break and write all this poo poo down into a coherent point.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The momentum of BLM does appear to have petered out some, and Lib co option is probably partly to blame, but there's still stuff happening, and it, or something like it, will probably flame up again. I do wonder if police de-escalation has also contributed to this, with the notably exception of Portland where Trump appears to be making a show of force.

The Chapos have been disappointingly lukewarm on the protests; maybe it is too risky for them financially, or maybe the lesson they took from the Bernie blowout was to not get behind anything lest they get part of the blame/fallout, rather than just being more careful about what and how? I guess it's possible they don't feel very strongly about the BLM stuff, which would be disappointing, but expecting otherwise does border on weird para-social territory.

It's probably just me, but I feel like political podcasts and online-drama is becoming less relevant and engaging. Hitching your horse to a hot topic might boost engagement, but I think we're seeing that there's also a cost once whatever it is blows over. The Chapos might be trying to build something more stable with long-term viability, or maybe they're just as burnt out as the rest of us, but trying to keep the wheels turning.

I characterized this "falling into his old gripes" / retreat as being akin to the Lib wish for normality once before, and I stand by that; I feel like if Matt, and the rest of the Chapos, were "black-pilled" by Bernie as some people have suggested, they would be cheer-leading any form of resistance like I see other people who feel like they have nothing left to lose are doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thotsky posted:

The Chapos have been disappointingly lukewarm on the protests; maybe it is too risky for them financially

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
chapo in the pocket of...Big Cop?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fame Douglas posted:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Fortnight

I meant non-mainstream things that you think illustrate your point

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

thotsky posted:

The momentum of BLM does appear to have petered out some, and Lib co option is probably partly to blame, but there's still stuff happening, and it, or something like it, will probably flame up again. I do wonder if police de-escalation has also contributed to this, with the notably exception of Portland where Trump appears to be making a show of force.

The Chapos have been disappointingly lukewarm on the protests; maybe it is too risky for them financially, or maybe the lesson they took from the Bernie blowout was to not get behind anything lest they get part of the blame/fallout, rather than just being more careful about what and how? I guess it's possible they don't feel very strongly about the BLM stuff, which would be disappointing, but expecting otherwise does border on weird para-social territory.

It's probably just me, but I feel like political podcasts and online-drama is becoming less relevant and engaging. Hitching your horse to a hot topic might boost engagement, but I think we're seeing that there's also a cost once whatever it is blows over. The Chapos might be trying to build something more stable with long-term viability, or maybe they're just as burnt out as the rest of us, but trying to keep the wheels turning.

I characterized this "falling into his old gripes" / retreat as being akin to the Lib wish for normality once before, and I stand by that; I feel like if Matt, and the rest of the Chapos, were "black-pilled" by Bernie as some people have suggested, they would be cheer-leading any form of resistance like I see other people who feel like they have nothing left to lose are doing.

i thought you stopped listening to chapo 3 weeks ago

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

sexpig by night posted:

chapo in the pocket of...Big Cop?

I was thinking more along the lines being afraid that their patreon would get shut down for "encouraging violence" or something like that. You see a lot of self-policing by lefty/left-ish creators on twitch because it does not take much to lose your platform/livelihood.

Phone posted:

i thought you stopped listening to chapo 3 weeks ago

Longer than that for the main show, with the exception of a partial listen to the lobster episode. I have been following the Matt streams though.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 19, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this is the podcast thread for people who either don’t listen to the show but love to complain about it, or people who half listen to the show and constantly misrepresent it with the worst faith possible interpretations of the content

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

THS posted:

this is the podcast thread for people who either don’t listen to the show but love to complain about it, or people who half listen to the show and constantly misrepresent it with the worst faith possible interpretations of the content

To my understanding this is how most chapo discussion works

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only way you could really believe that the protests have petered put is if you only hear about them on the news and aren’t actually participating in them. The media has completely whited out around the protests where possible but in major cities they are getting bigger

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

r/chapotraphouse lives

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's going to get real old real quick to dismiss any negative reactions to the show as 'looks like r/chapotraphouse is leaking again :rolleyes:', last week's Taibi episode got the blowback it did because it expressed a load of really stupid poo poo.

That said, the people who dont actually listen to the show and continue commenting on it can shove off, please leave the endless griping to people who at least listen to it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah i dont think any criticism is bad, the taibbi ep was indeed garbage, but there are also dumb takes that have little to do with the actual episode

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/rockanrollphoto/status/1284819110396862464?s=20

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bust Rodd posted:

The only way you could really believe that the protests have petered put is if you only hear about them on the news and aren’t actually participating in them. The media has completely whited out around the protests where possible but in major cities they are getting bigger

Awesome if that is true. I'm mostly judging by media presence and cool zone posting numbers, yes, but a bit difficult to do otherwise when you're in a different country. We had one protest over here and that was it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I live in downtown Long Beach California and there’s a protest like once or twice a week. They usually happen and are done pretty quick though. But as compared to the first week of protests it’s definitely quieted down a lot.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
the protests are more concentrated, but definitely larger. with Portland basically under a federally enforced curfew and martial law at this point

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thotsky posted:

Awesome if that is true. I'm mostly judging by media presence and cool zone posting numbers, yes, but a bit difficult to do otherwise when you're in a different country. We had one protest over here and that was it.

Of course you're not American, lol every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

THS posted:

I feel like this applies to almost all modern media