Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll call Belgians whatever I want. Who's going to stop me? The non-existent federal government? The Flemish government full of lecherous window climbers? :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Belgium seems like a fun place.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Phlegmish posted:

I'll call Belgians whatever I want. Who's going to stop me? The non-existent federal government? The Flemish government full of lecherous window climbers? :twisted:

In defence of Crevits and Somers, it was high time the Flemish government defenestrated itself.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Beer breweries, chocolatiers, and child murderers - a land of contrasts

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ITT: Lots of gratuitous use of the word Belgium - must be a screenplay.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

we can't be talking about 'cricket' all the drat time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I refuse to believe people were discussing cricket even as a joke

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thankfully this thread isn't that barbaric.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

You do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bobby Digital posted:

You do not under any circumstances gotta hand it to them.

That's not Belgium, that's just their king.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

I refuse to believe people were discussing cricket even as a joke

How else could you? :confused:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Angry Lobster posted:

Baudelaire would say no.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cat Mattress posted:

That's not Belgium, that's just their king.

JFC

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's up with those Belgian chocolates that look like sea shells - they sell them a the loving hardware store in one-kilogram boxes lmao?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's up with those Belgian chocolates that look like sea shells - they sell them a the loving hardware store in one-kilogram boxes lmao?

“They decided to make their chocolates in the shape of seashells, inspired by the Belgium coast, a popular holiday destination, thinking they would make the perfect souvenir for their visit.”

Belgium pralines are delicious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

“They decided to make their chocolates in the shape of seashells, inspired by the Belgium coast, a popular holiday destination, thinking they would make the perfect souvenir for their visit.”

Belgium pralines are delicious.

Estonia should get on this and start making chocolate in the shape of tentacles for the Finnish tourists.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So the summit on the recovery fund is in the shits, right?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Dawncloack posted:

The austerity assholes seem to be winning, so yes.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hyper-fascism across the continent it is then

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Venomous posted:

hyper-fascism across the continent it is then

Our previous ineffective Prime Minister is now president of the European Council. It's always the fault of us Belgians in the end.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dawncloack posted:

Dutch prime minister is very smugly reporting that no agreement is in sight and no progress is being made.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I don't want to live in this continent anymore.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Dutch prime minister is very smugly reporting that no agreement is in sight and no progress is being made.

Every year he's in office i discover that no, there are further new and exciting ways for me to hate him and all he stands for.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

10 loving years of being PM now and another bunch as state secretary (kind of like deputy minister) of education before that and he is set to win another goddamn election next year.

This rear end in a top hat has been important in politics for my entire adult life.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the EU is so loving broken lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, the Süddeutsche is really starting to sound rather harsh. They report that the block around the Dutch is now called the "Miserly Four" and that Italy's premier said the Miserly Four are holding Europe hostage.

At least (according to this article), this affair made Merkel and Macron mad enough they want to push this through as a unified block. Probably just to spite the Dutch, at this point.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Libluini posted:

Man, the Süddeutsche is really starting to sound rather harsh. They report that the block around the Dutch is now called the "Miserly Four" and that Italy's premier said the Miserly Four are holding Europe hostage.

At least (according to this article), this affair made Merkel and Macron mad enough they want to push this through as a unified block. Probably just to spite the Dutch, at this point.

Good gently caress the Dutch government. The only reason Rutte feels safe enough to do this now is because not enough of us died from COVID and he's going to coast to re-election because of it. He did what Trump tried and looked decisive enough while doing it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pay no mind to the fact that Germany was leading this block for over a decade until like, 1,5 months ago?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
What a literary turn, creating the beast that then turns against you in your moment of need.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
In Sweden I've seen the argument that it doesnt make sense for us non-EMU countries to lend and spend cash to support EMU countries when the ECB could just print arbitrary amounts of cash (like we are doing ourselves).

Makes some sense but i get the feeling the problem is more meta-budget-related-issues in general.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

In Sweden I've seen the argument that it doesnt make sense for us non-EMU countries to lend and spend cash to support EMU countries when the ECB could just print arbitrary amounts of cash (like we are doing ourselves).

As the euro crisis proved ECB loans are effectively loans in a foreign currency for EMU-countries. So sadly, no. The countries involved are already very dependent on the ECB subverting its own mandate and do not want to end up any further down that rabbit hole since they don't hold the keys to the printing press. Sweden still does, that's why we can do it.

What would be the obvious answer could be to let the EU parliament to integrate further with the ECB and just deficit spend, like a normal nation-state would in this situation. But lol on that ever being allowed by Germany, Sweden, Denmark or the Netherlands.

Orange Devil posted:

Pay no mind to the fact that Germany was leading this block for over a decade until like, 1,5 months ago?

You know everything is hosed up when even the Germans can see that there truly is no other option.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
It's sort of amazing that the entire Swedish parliament is united in opposition to the corona fund, left and right parties are all against it. Can't think of anything else they can all agree on.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/benkow_/status/1284768025921626112

:snoop:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

It's sort of amazing that the entire Swedish parliament is united in opposition to the corona fund, left and right parties are all against it. Can't think of anything else they can all agree on.

Did the Liberal party change their mind?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

MiddleOne posted:

Did the Liberal party change their mind?

They still want the fund but from what I understood they want it to be loans or something

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

An insane mind posted:

Good gently caress the Dutch government. The only reason Rutte feels safe enough to do this now is because not enough of us died from COVID and he's going to coast to re-election because of it. He did what Trump tried and looked decisive enough while doing it.

I don't know why the Dutch media are sucking Rutte off about his Covid handling. Excess mortality in the Netherlands was sky high and I haven't the feeling that the authorities did very much aside from talking about individual responsibility to stay healthy in a very serious tone

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't know why the Dutch media are sucking Rutte off about his Covid handling. Excess mortality in the Netherlands was sky high and I haven't the feeling that the authorities did very much aside from talking about individual responsibility to stay healthy in a very serious tone

i suspect that this is due to succeeding in the media management part of the disaster, which is not unrelated but is separate from the public health response. in yankeestan, you saw something similar with certain governors who were lauded even as they had to dig mass graves

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

I honestly think it's because of the corona briefings he did where he sounded very learned and smart, and most of our newsoutlets (at least the ones on tv and with access) are more of the shitlib decorum, soft questions variety. Like, oh Rutte is so big strong and decisive on corona. Never mind that he said it's really not that bad (then cases surged), we need to stop shaking hands (then immediately turned around and shook hands) and then blamed everything on those god drat kids for not getting the message.

But he said it in such a decisive way :O

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Its because the baseline is belgium, spain and italy.if your country is doing better, congrats you're a winner. (Ignores iceland and *checks notes* malta?)

Edit:Lol theres no way poland is handling this better than norway.
And san marino screwed again by small sample size prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Apparently our prime minister is pushing for a strong mechanism to withhold EU funding to countries that undermine their justice system's independence. Guess that is one way to reduce the amount of money you need to pay into the system. Definitely needed though.