Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted but Jonny Smith has done a Polestar review on his new channel: https://youtu.be/teukcgZ_yVI

He loves it. I’m not sure about the styling but I’ve never loved Volvos.

And I’m definitely wary of a car running on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

For what its worth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah man I definitely want to read chat logs from some Discord, great stuff.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Offsite drama doesn't belong on SA.

Lets try to get back on topic.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
The distaste for 1-pedal is a mental hang-up. Everyone* who has ever driven an appreciable distance on a freeway has done 1-pedal driving where wind resistance is a significant and sufficient braking effect to handle the up- and downgrades of the road and minor changes in traffic while maintaining a consistent speed and flow without touching the brake. EV regen just extends that down to anything above 8-ish mph, but there are a lot of mental switches you flip when you get on or off a freeway and there's nothing that makes it absolutely necessary to adopt 1-pedal driving at lower speeds if it's uncomfortable to change.

* except for an Uber driver I once had on a work trip who literally pulsed the pedal from 1k to 2k over and over. It was intensely nauseating especially right after getting off a plane.

I personally like the Roll setting as a precision mini game of feathering off the gas so the car rolls to a stop entirely on its own road friction when the regen cuts out at 5mph. The brake light also cuts out at 5mph which has made me wonder if it is in some way less safe or even illegal to be stopped at a light without your brake light on, but I couldn't find any local traffic ordinance about it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Westy543 posted:

Sometimes slamming on brakes in my Volt does this kinda this awkward split-second lurch where the computer goes "ah poo poo ah gently caress switch from regen to pads." It's really noticeable holding the regen pedal and then applying brakes with some decent force. If you tap the brake pedal in most other EVs, you'll only use regen until the computer decides you need pads.

Ugh yeah, I've had that, it's jarring. The opposite happens too sometimes if I'm lightly braking on the pedal and then pull the regen paddle. You'd think it would just go normal regen --> max regen but no there's a weird jutter and it feels more intense than if I'd just paddled in the first place.

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah that seems to be correct.

Here Endymion FRS MK1 I screen grabbed the page from my Model Y manual

Yeah I saw the same thing in the 3 manual. Basically what I want is:
Lift off accelerator --> coast
Brake lightly or moderately --> regen only
Brake hard --> maximum stopping power

I feel like I'll just have to test drive to get a feel. But that won't happen until I'm actually ready to upgrade

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm wondering if people who drive stick are more likely to use 1 pedal or heavy regen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Part time manual driver here. I use max regen almost always. If I'm on the interstate I'll put in the normal mode to coast.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

keseph posted:

except for an Uber driver I once had on a work trip who literally pulsed the pedal from 1k to 2k over and over. It was intensely nauseating especially right after getting off a plane.

Some Uber drivers do this on purpose. If you barf it's a $250 cleaning fee. Driver gets to go home for the day.

Re: Taycan Regen chat:
I have an etron which has 99% of the same behavior as the Taycan. Any braking is done with Regen ONLY unless you're doing more than . 3G of braking then the mechanical pads actuate. You can also pull the left paddle on the steering wheel to trigger one of two levels of Regen. But even the most aggressive Regen mode is less than Tesla's lowest level of Regen.

Also it will coast for loving EVER. I need to record video of it but it'll coast for a mile+ without losing much speed.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Charles posted:

I'm wondering if people who drive stick are more likely to use 1 pedal or heavy regen.
I drive and prefer stick in my conventional cars though currently my only manuals are all motorcycles and as I said my preference is for less regen. After driving today with low regen I have to say I prefer it more. I'm fine with Hold as the stop mode although we have it set to Creep at my spouse's request since my spouse switches back and forth from our vehicles and wants them to all behave the same way.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 19, 2020

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Completely valid, but that's what driver profiles are for! You can set different profiles to be loaded depending on which key fob/card is used to get in the car.

It would be really jarring if you mixed them up though. Maybe put a sticker on it or something.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

RZA Encryption posted:

Completely valid, but that's what driver profiles are for! You can set different profiles to be loaded depending on which key fob/card is used to get in the car.

It would be really jarring if you mixed them up though. Maybe put a sticker on it or something.
Thanks. We're already set up individual profile and linked them to our respective keycards and phones. I'll make sure the driving modes are set for each of us individually within the profiles. So far I've been happy with the choice of the 3 (LR AWD) but long winter trips will be the real test for me. Can't wait to stick a set of Blizzaks on it and set out in the snow. Drifting my Evo X on closed unplowed roads was always a huge amount of fun after a big snowstorm.

edit: The other thing I have planned is folding the rear seats on one side in lieu of a ski pass through to carry skis and snowboards. I hate using roof racks because the gear always ends up sand and snow blasted unless you use a cargo box which would really cut down on aero and range.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 19, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, even bare skis and boards on top will give you a pretty significant economy/range penalty.

I bet an AWD Tesla on Blizzaks is a fuckin' blast in the snow.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Just bought a new Prius prime (phev) and it’s my first actual new car. Stoked about babbys first (mini) ev. All you guys talking about heavy regen make me jealous though.

I’m a commercial driver by trade so manual transmission/heavy engine brake/etc are my jam for sure.

I live in an apartment and have no charging solution except for a 110 outlet close to my garage parking spot that I plan on leeching off of if I think I can get away with it.

I went prime over regular Prius because the rebates ALMOST make it comparable in price to a top line Prius, even if I never plug it in it’ll still operate just fine, and I do have the possibility of the aforementioned garage outlet.

I don’t think it really gives me adequate credentials to post a ton in this thread but I wanted to say I wish it had more EV features like regen selection and whatnot

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

tranten posted:

Just bought a new Prius prime (phev) and it’s my first actual new car. Stoked about babbys first (mini) ev. All you guys talking about heavy regen make me jealous though.

I’m a commercial driver by trade so manual transmission/heavy engine brake/etc are my jam for sure.

I live in an apartment and have no charging solution except for a 110 outlet close to my garage parking spot that I plan on leeching off of if I think I can get away with it.

I went prime over regular Prius because the rebates ALMOST make it comparable in price to a top line Prius, even if I never plug it in it’ll still operate just fine, and I do have the possibility of the aforementioned garage outlet.

I don’t think it really gives me adequate credentials to post a ton in this thread but I wanted to say I wish it had more EV features like regen selection and whatnot

Congrats! If it plugs in I'd say you're good to post. And 110 is fine for a PHEV. My Volt has exclusively been charged on a normal outlet since I bought it

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Oh I’m sure it’ll work just fine. 5.5 hours to charge fully at 110. Only ~25 miles to a full charge but it does run the A/c off of the battery and not the engine so you can schedule it to have the cabin cooled for your departure in the morning.

The “get away with it” was in regards to the fact that I have no idea who “owns” that power outlet. It seems as if it’s on the same lines as the lights for the garage, so I’d assume the HOA for the building pays its bill.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
After reading stories of how vile HOAs can be, I suggest you clear it with someone first. Before you get the entire electrical bill forwarded to you with penalties attached.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Got my vw ID. 11kw charger, alas it will charge a vw e-up since the ID.3 is well over double the price.

Front plate with vw logo, skoda&seat logos probably also available.

Interior doesnt have much, EVBox seems to be the manufacturer.

This thing has a more expensive(399eur -> 849eur) version of it that comes with rfid access and mobile connectivity, but that version seems to have delivery delays to it.
You can wire this as 1- or 3- phase, the e-up will only use 2-phases, if I have understood it correctly, so 7.2kw at most.
Also has residual current(?) thingy built in that the local regulations require so you save some on the install.

Now just need to have this installed and wait till september for my daaas auto.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Charles posted:

Put mine on full regen day one and don't see why I'd ever not have that as the default. Makes life around town so much easier.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, the whole one-pedal thing is already on a bunch of cars. Pretty sure tesla effectively does that too. Hyundai/Kia don't quite do full stop by letting off the pedal unless you also hold the regen paddles. It's definitely an EV thing though. A lot of them let you change the amount of regen if it bothers you too much
With my Niro I can come to a complete stop by holding in the "add braking force" regen paddle, but it doesn't hold the stop if I'm on a hill. There's also front collision "prevention" where it will apply more brake as I approach someone stopped or slowing down a lot, but I don't know if it will completely stop and I don't want to test it.

edit for more info:
The Niro regen has 4 settings:
Off. This is pure coasting
1: This is like driving an ICE car and letting off the gas and having the engine do a little braking
2: This is like mildly applying the brakes
3: This is like strongly applying the brakes

The flappy paddles behind the steering wheel control the level of regen. Left paddle = more regen, right paddle = less regen. There's a little box in the dash with arrows showing the regen level.

The brake lights turn on for levels 2 and 3 when I take my foot off of the accelerator pedal. I know that from testing at night and I see the middle brake light shine in my rear view mirror when I lift my foot. I have no idea if they stay on when I use the left paddle to fully stop because I'm too busy looking forward and I'm also probably pushing the brake pedal because, again, it doesn't hold the stop.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 19, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Charles posted:

Exactly what I was wondering. My car has a manual transmission, and I drove a mate’s Model 3 (can we make calling it an M3 bannable?) recently and very quickly came to love one pedal driving. Aggressive regen is all good with me too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It seems like with Tesla’s system you spend more time with your foot on the gas pedal rather than applying regen via the brake pedal which doesn’t really seem like a good thing for having to do abrupt emergency braking.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

It seems like with Tesla’s system you spend more time with your foot on the gas pedal rather than applying regen via the brake pedal which doesn’t really seem like a good thing for having to do abrupt emergency braking.

Regen is done via gas pedal, just adjust how far down you are on the pedal and it will slow you down to whatever speed. You only need to use the brake pedal when you need to stop quicker than the regen will, which if you have the regen set to high is rare. The model 3 high regen is quite strong and can quickly bring you to a stop, especially if you have the “stop” mode or whatever its called on where it will completely stop the car if your foot is off the gas.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Lifting off the accelerator to "brake" hasn't really affected my "move foot over and press to actually brake" instinct when I need to.

In the city with max regen and hold there are trips where I never use the brake pedal and it's great. I don't know if I'm just really steady with my foot now or the car builds in a dead zone once you're at a set speed but I find it incredibly easy to "coast" at a set speed with one pedal, too.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Qwijib0 posted:

Lifting off the accelerator to "brake" hasn't really affected my "move foot over and press to actually brake" instinct when I need to.

This is one (of several) reasons I would never teach a new driver in my Model 3, but I do have two kids who will need to be taught and get a few years' practice on something. Assuming we haven't completely destroyed the planet in 6 or 7 years' time, which of 2019 or 2020's end-of-warranty depreciated EVs would you teach a 15 or 16 year old kid on?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

keseph posted:

which of 2019 or 2020's end-of-warranty depreciated EVs would you teach a 15 or 16 year old kid on?
PoS Fiat or a Chevy Spark EV.

Spark if I was serious about getting a car for them to actually drive. Fiat is I don't care if they go destruction derby on it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Doesn't the brake pedal on a Tesla just always activate the mechanical brake? I thought the way they did it regen was all on the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal is just exactly what it says on the tin.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

keseph posted:

This is one (of several) reasons I would never teach a new driver in my Model 3, but I do have two kids who will need to be taught and get a few years' practice on something. Assuming we haven't completely destroyed the planet in 6 or 7 years' time, which of 2019 or 2020's end-of-warranty depreciated EVs would you teach a 15 or 16 year old kid on?

I can't speak to all of the others, but I suspect most cars that have two regen options (maybe more?) will have one that feels basically the same as a normal car. The Volt has D and L...D is normal coasting, L is regen. In town I leave it in L. On the highway, D.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s literally the same as moving your foot from throttle to brake in an ICE car, except the car starts slowing down like a manual transmission in low gear the moment you lift.

Related, I got my first autopilot emergency braking application in two years the other day. In traffic, TACC on, light ahead went red, and the guy in front of me doesn’t see the light until the last second, panic-brakes and stops what must’ve been four to six car lengths before the stop bar. :wtc:

I had already toggled TACC off (I don’t like the way it stops when presented with an aggressive stop. It’s safe, but pretty uncomfortable,) and was braking manually, but the car decided “no doofus, we’re looking at the rates here, and that’s not enough,” and went to max brake. Stopped with two or three cars between us.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I had my foot on the brake while someone in front of me did the same thing yesterday, I could feel the pedal (yay i spelled it right!) dig in WAY harder to stop. Good poo poo.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to Scandi flick their non-performance AWD Model 3? (obviously I'm asking about on tracks or closed roads not asking about public hooliganism). Aside from dyno mode, is it possible to controlled oversteer a nonperformance (i.e. no track mode) 3?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yuns posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to Scandi flick their non-performance AWD Model 3? (obviously I'm asking about on tracks or closed roads not asking about public hooliganism).

The two things you need is

a) Stability control absoluty off

b) The ability to weight shift the car hard

With those two, you should be able to unladen the rear end and get the pendulum effect going. No I havent tried. But Teslas for me are kinda the cars with all the mass down low and between the axles that arent that great to get decent weight shift going without some rough handed driving. Give me a car and some gravel, I'm sure I could work out the best way to do it pretty fast :) Even quicker if ABS can be turned off via a fuse being pulled.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yuns posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to Scandi flick their non-performance AWD Model 3? (obviously I'm asking about on tracks or closed roads not asking about public hooliganism). Aside from dyno mode, is it possible to controlled oversteer a nonperformance (i.e. no track mode) 3?

You'd have to pull a wheel spin sensor in order to defeat the traction control, not sure if that's any better than driving with dyno mode enabled.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The ID.3 configurator is open on the German VW site https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html

I'm liking the blue with silver highlights.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Beffer posted:

Not sure if this has been posted but Jonny Smith has done a Polestar review on his new channel: https://youtu.be/teukcgZ_yVI

He loves it. I’m not sure about the styling but I’ve never loved Volvos.

And I’m definitely wary of a car running on Android.

A friend that works with development at Volvo said that the Android platform saves Volvo from having their own software suite that needs to be kept updated for the long lifespan of a car and instead they can make their own additions on top of the android os.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Indiana_Krom posted:

Doesn't the brake pedal on a Tesla just always activate the mechanical brake? I thought the way they did it regen was all on the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal is just exactly what it says on the tin.

Yes, that’s my point. Emergency braking is easier when your foot is already on the brake pedal, is it would be in cars that have blended regen via t he brake pedal.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 21, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

It’s literally the same as moving your foot from throttle to brake in an ICE car, except the car starts slowing down like a manual transmission in low gear the moment you lift.

Yes except your foot is literally on the gas pedal more in the Tesla which means on average a Tesla drivers reaction time is going to be literally slower.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Yes except your foot is literally on the gas pedal more in the Tesla which means on average a Tesla drivers reaction time is going to be literally slower.

So we’re ignoring the fact that your foot can be “on the gas pedal” in a Tesla and the car can be slowing significantly at the same time? 🤔

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So we’re ignoring the fact that your foot can be “on the gas pedal” in a Tesla and the car can be slowing significantly at the same time? 🤔

I can’t imagine the regen decelerating would be in any way faster than depressing the brake pedal if your foot was already on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If we're measuring fossil vs EV safety on brake performance in various edge cases, let's include overheating brakes from long downhills vs regen. And the various hill hold, creep modes etc which in EVs can be dependent on software checking for open doors and fastened safety belts, vs an idling fossil autobox which can be put in drive by a toddler or a dog.