Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I think you mean when Kong beats Godzilla at the end of the second act, before they figure out they have to ally against the real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I think you mean when Kong beats Godzilla at the end of the second act, before they figure out they have to ally against the real threat.

Bigger Kong

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Some pics of the toys

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's also this one, which I am linking because I think it might have a spoiler. Is it just me or does the axe blade look like one of Godzilla's back plates?

https://i.imgur.com/tZtbaQM.jpg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why are those boys old

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah wtf is going on with those Akira rear end kids

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2020 has been rough on all of us

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Looks like they know their audience

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Holy poo poo I'm starved for assets that aren't cheap packaging graphics :eyepop:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The shocking truth behind Pearl Harbor that FDR didn't want you to see.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I know we should have expected Kong to grow, but it looks like Godzilla has helped out by shrinking, or am I completely misremembering his 2014/2019 scale?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, even with Kong growing between films Godzilla looks way smaller. Compare it to G swimming alongside the carrier in the 2014 movie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's a supercarrier designed to ship Godzilla places, or some equally silly retroactive explanation

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla is just standing way in the background wearing the same stilts he had when he stood up in the middle of the ocean in king of the monsters

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I finally got around to Rampage, and it turns out that it’s the actually-good version of Godzilla 2.

Like, I’m surprised that it’s actually a fairly serious kaiju movie where all the jokes are at the expense of The Rock and not the premise itself; I was expecting Pacific Rim horseshit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was a good monster flick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpoPeRsf4I

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ahh nooo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rampage has this. Malin ackerman getting swallowed and digested alive freaks me out more than any movie I’ve ever seen.

I don’t like it. It makes me feel nauseous lmao

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

We already know Mechagodzilla is in the movie for sure, and supposed leaks say it's Ghidorah's severed head from KotM welded onto the skeleton of the dead godzilla from the opening of the 2014 movie, with the rest of Mecha built around that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m surprised Rampage apparently didn’t do well enough to become a franchise. Rock’s whole career is building or revitalizing franchises.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Violator posted:

I’m surprised Rampage apparently didn’t do well enough to become a franchise. Rock’s whole career is building or revitalizing franchises.

I think the problem was there wasn't a really good, compelling antagonist. The monsters were mind controlled so they didn't really have personalities for the bulk of the movie. The actual villains were Malin Ackerman and her brother, but they were more comic relief goofy characters than good villains. And they both died at the end.

If the giant alligator had been the main threat, then at the end they could've teased it wasn't actually dead, or it's body gets eaten by piranhas who start to transform into giant alligator piranhas, y'know something to continue that threat. Or if Malin Ackerman had been a bit menacing, a bit more Weskery, and also not died, then the last shot could've been her flying away in a helicopter with a suitcase full of the mutagens. Like, oh no she's gonna do it again, presumably with different animals!

But instead it ends with all the antagonists dead, none of them being very good "final shot on their body but then the eyes open!" candidates, and it's just Dwayne Johnson and his gorilla friend are friends again, they're joking around like the old days. And you can get that from basically any Dwayne Johnson movie. Just replace the giant gorilla with Kevin Hart or Jack Black or a magical talking skateboard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dwayne Johnson is....

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Rampage doesn’t have a good villain because, to its credit, it doesn’t really really have villains at all. There are bad people behind the events, but they’re almost irrelevant in the scheme of things, while the giant alligator stands for monstrosity ‘as such’ - just a blunt, stupid madness.

The actual narrative is about George the gorilla dealing with mental illness by, among other things, taking his medication.

Franchises have been built on way less, so who knows what dark scrying is being used by the studio execs to make their decisions.

At the same time, Rampage is a pretty standard superhero origin story with well-above-average direction redeeming a pretty dire script.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/miregoji326/status/1285053569939369984?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Gorgo

First off, the monster action is great. There's two big monster sequences and they're both fantastic. Gorgo attacking the rowboats and getting driven off the beach is really well done and cool looking with all the torches. And Gorgo's mom attacking London is top notch. Really good compositing and editing to blend the monster with the people. It's not just Gorgo's mom wrecking building, the focus is on the streets packed with people trying to escape the destruction, but then getting flattened by falling masonry. Really good stuff, Top tier city rampage.

Where the movie falls down is everything else. Our lead humans are a pair of English scumbag treasure hunters who capture Gorgo and put it in a spike-lined pit and have flamethrower men on hand to shoot it with flame. Just zero attempt to make you like or care about them. And they have nothing to do in the last like 25 minutes of the movie. And by lead humans, I mean they're almost the only human characters. There's I think three other named human characters who show up and do stuff, but they are pretty minor and also have little effect on the plot. So between the Gorgo attack at the beginning and Gorgo's mom's rampage at the end, there's not much to catch your interest.

So overall I'd say Gorgo averages out to fine. Watch it for the good monster stuff, scroll through Twitter on your phone when a monster isn't attacking.

And another thing. It's not good or bad but it's worth mentioning. There's a segment where the navy tries to stop Gorgo's mom, and the navy exists entirely in stock footage. No miniature boats, no actors on sets, 100% stock footage. Which would be fine, except the stock footage is insanely grainy and washed out. It's like a joke, if you were doing a comedy movie and wanted to do a joke about using stock footage, just putting in stock footage that looked like that would qualify as a joke.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Also please change the thread title to "An elaborate Irish hoax"

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I've always maintained that Gorgo is just a few script rewrites away from being an all-time classic kaiju movie, but sadly it's a definite "lights are on but nobody's home" situation with its human story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Gorgo's story is entirely about the two sailors adopting the young stowaway, with the one sailor being a macho rear end in a top hat because hes trying to repress his "maternal instincts" - as represented by Gorgo's mom.

It's a super gay kaiju movie, though not in the expected flamboyant/campy sense.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

the one sailor being a macho rear end in a top hat because hes trying to repress his "maternal instincts"

I thought he was a macho rear end in a top hat because he's a drunk

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HannibalBarca posted:

I thought he was a macho rear end in a top hat because he's a drunk

Well, yes. But why does he drink?

You can go into the specifics, but the basic point is that the monster rampage ends with the young orphan now smiling because he has a family to care for him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

He was smiling because Gorgo was free. The kid's last line was "he's going back now. Back to the sea". He was looking at Gorgo, the movie cut between Gorgo and it's mother walking into the sea and the kid's face. The last shot of the kid isn't the shot you posted, it's a closeup of the kid's smiling face as he watches Gorgo leave.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's also super gay because I think you see A woman in one shot of a background scene. The only woman in the entire movie is Ogra, Gorgo's mom

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Burkion posted:

It's also super gay because I think you see A woman in one shot of a background scene. The only woman in the entire movie is Ogra, Gorgo's mom

I noticed the lack of women too but you're not being fair to Gorgo. It is true that there's not a single named female character, and no woman appears in more than one scene. However there are two female speaking roles. First there is a lady reporter who asks the circus guy a couple questions, and later on there's a woman at the circus who yells something.

So, there's that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

He was smiling because Gorgo was free. The kid's last line was "he's going back now. Back to the sea". He was looking at Gorgo, the movie cut between Gorgo and it's mother walking into the sea and the kid's face. The last shot of the kid isn't the shot you posted, it's a closeup of the kid's smiling face as he watches Gorgo leave.

Right; that's an establishing shot before the last couple shots - establishing the context in which the smile takes place. There's also a church in the background of this shot, visible right after the nearby reporter has made a comment about 'prayers being answered'.

So, the break down what happens: the child's prayer for a family is answered and, simultaneously, the monstrous child that the protagonist(s) had mistreated peacefully vanishes.

With any kaiju film, this relation between the human and monster plot is 'the point'. Why is the child so invested in seeing Gorgo returned to his mom, that he is now at peace despite the devastation? That's a rhetorical question.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The kid never expresses any desire for a family, only to free Gorgo. There's no evidence that he prayed for a family.

Edit: It's also worth noting that on the bluray it's very clear that that reporter was greenscreened in. It looks way worse than any of the other various compositing effects used in the rest of the movie. And since he's not the reporter who showed up earlier to give important exposition, and given the nature of his reporting, I would assume that he wasn't in the film to begin with. I think he was added in after the movies was done to try to enhance the ending by having someone tell the audience what to feel. So I worry you might be led astray if you attempt to divine the meaning of the film through how the specific phrasing of his monologue matches up with small background details.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 21, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

The kid never expresses any desire for a family, only to free Gorgo.

If by 'expressing desire' you mean expository dialogue, then no; Sean never says, like, "please give me a family, Jesus!"

However, I'm referring to how Sean shows up at the same time as the child-monster, and is always hanging around in the periphery of events, obviously wanting to be accepted. Then, after Sam has a weird, drunken outburst in front of Sean & fights with his partner Joe, the kid wanders off into danger as if mysteriously drawn towards mommy-monster Orga. Sam realizes the error of his ways, runs off to protect Sean, and subsequently behaves in a way that's far more nurturing: carrying the kid in his arms, telling him it's all going to be okay, etc. This change in Sam's behavior is quickly followed by the monsters' peaceful return to the sea.

It's in that context that the film ends with the two protagonists standing in front of a church with their adopted kid, as if they've been married.

The same sort of imagery is used in Aliens - and Newt also never exposits that she wants to be adopted by Hicks and Ripley.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All the characters show up the same time as Gorgo, the volcanic eruption that is implied to have released Gorgo is the inciting incident of the movie, it happens in the opening scene.

Sean doesn't run off towards Orga after a weird drunken outburst from Sam. After a strained but reasonable discussion between Sam and Joe in which Joe is the one who is drinking, Sean goes to see Gorgo.

Orga doesn't "quickly" return to the sea after Sam starts carrying and being nice to Sean. there's several minutes of rampage in between the change of behavior and the monsters return to the sea. Orga doesn't change it's behavior in any way in response to Sam's changed behavior towards Sean. It only changes after it rescues Gorgo

The film doesn't end with the two protagonists standing in front of a church, they are standing in front of rubble. Rubble which includes a church steeple, but it is not given a place of prominence in the rubble. And it's obscured by Joe.

And finally, Sean does have a stated goal in the movie; freeing Gorgo. He gets on the boat to try to free Gorgo. He hangs around Gorgo. He doesn't want to be accepted, he wants to free Gorgo. He never seeks attention from Sam or Joe. Sean doesn't smile when Sam starts treating him better, he smiles when he sees Gorgo is free.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok, that is a plot synopsis that describes events that occur between the scenes that I am referring to.

However, that is not an analysis of the film's narrative (i.e. why a huge chunk of the runtime is devoted these two sailors and a random kid, instead of literally anything else going on in the film's setting). Consequently, it's not a stronger interpretation of the text.

An analysis of the narrative needs to cover how mistreating Gorgo in a way that upsets the child is directly linked to Sam and Joe's crumbling partner-relationship. With the mistreatment of the child-creature, Sam is specifically characterized as a bad parent, because he fears parenthood. He need to control this thing, which is tied to a curious wish that the creature would obliterate him. When Sam has his drunken outburst, he's trying to release the creature even though it would mean his death - with Sean now pleading desperately to keep the gate closed. (Sean was earlier traumatized by seeing a circus employee killed with a strike of Gorgo's tail).

That's to say that, as in any monster movie, the appearance of the monster reveals - demonstrates - some issue that the characters are having. And as with most movies in general, we end with the removal of the monstrous threat and a restoration of balance with the production of a couple. Godzilla 1954, you might know, ends with Serizawa killing himself (and his monster) so that Emiko and Ogata can finally marry. Gorgo combines this imagery with imagery very similar to that of Mothra (which was released the same year): the maternal creature leaving peacefully with her rescued children, a church steeple featured prominently. In Godzilla 2014, Godzilla (who stands for the ghost of Ford's father) returns to the ocean at the same time that Ford reunites with his wife. That's the language of these films.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 21, 2020

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Gorgo actually available to watch or buy anywhere? I loved it as a kid, and saw it long before I saw any Godzilla film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If they actually have a scene where the two face off on an aircraft carrier and it's not sinking and bobbing like a surfboard I will go MENTAL

e: it should actually be breaking up under their feet