Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Love to shoot net 33 in league and take 4/20 points from someone who shot net 20 off of a 16 hndc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

DJExile posted:

Bryson (who is fat, OP) had a goddamn 423 yard drive off #1 today :stare:

Ridiculous

https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/1283781766432653313?s=21

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah that’s great, he’s T42.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

Look, Jozy never had a finishing touch either.

(OK basically only shrapnig is going to enjoy this but gently caress it)

I played soccer year-round from age 5 through high school, then I disliked my varsity coach so I just played indoor in the winter and spring travel league. These days I really wish I had taken up golf at that point instead of waiting another 10 years.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
hi golf goons. i've been diagnosed with a very bad case of coming-over-the-top swing that produces a completely insane spin-slice on all my shots. i had tried modifying my grip and club face and swinging easy and everything because I thought I was just leaving the club face open, but yesterday a more experienced golfer I was playing with said that it looked like I was starting my downswing with my right shoulder (I golf RH) and as such coming across the ball and imparting just insane spin to the right even with a straight club face. and indeed sometimes I will leave a diagonal divot heading left even as my ball spins into the woods on the right.

does anyone have any suggestions for drills or heuristics on how to fix this? i'm not sure where I picked it up (might have been this tom watson driver video I was watching about how you can either drag your driver or, for more power, think about throwing it like a football??) but it's completely screwed up my game and I'm having a hard time unlearning it.

Petey fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 17, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Petey posted:

hi golf goons. i've been diagnosed with a very bad case of inside-out swing that produces a completely insane spin-slice on all my shots. i had tried modifying my grip and club face and swinging easy and everything but yesterday a more experienced golfer I was playing with said that it looked like I was starting my downswing with my right shoulder (I golf RH) and as such coming across the ball and imparting just insane spin to the right even with a straight club face. and indeed sometimes I will leave a diagonal divot heading left even as my ball spins into the woods on the right.

does anyone have any suggestions for drills or heuristics on how to fix this? i'm not sure where I picked it up (might have been this tom watson driver video I was watching about how you can either drag your driver or, for more power, think about throwing it like a football??) but it's completely screwed up my game and I'm having a hard time unlearning it.

Make sure you're turning with your hips first, going shoulders first is what usually brings you over the top of the ball. Ben Hogan gives a good example here

E: Your arms and hands are just bringing the club along, turn from bottom to top and that should help you get square at contact.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 17, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Petey posted:

hi golf goons. i've been diagnosed with a very bad case of inside-out swing that produces a completely insane spin-slice on all my shots. i had tried modifying my grip and club face and swinging easy and everything but yesterday a more experienced golfer I was playing with said that it looked like I was starting my downswing with my right shoulder (I golf RH) and as such coming across the ball and imparting just insane spin to the right even with a straight club face. and indeed sometimes I will leave a diagonal divot heading left even as my ball spins into the woods on the right.

If you take the club really far inside on the backswing, it can put your hands in a position that makes it difficult to get back to the ball without an outside-in downswing. You can work on a more straight-back takeaway, even overcompensating for now by taking it outside.

A drill that will help with both the backswing and downswing is to use a split grip, kinda like a hockey player. Your instinct to start the downswing with your right hand/shoulder is akin to chopping wood. With your hands separated in a split grip, your right hand is in a physically weaker position making it more difficult to chop. If you do, the motion is much more noticeable and you should be able to avoid it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

A drill that will help with both the backswing and downswing is to use a split grip, kinda like a hockey player. Your instinct to start the downswing with your right hand/shoulder is akin to chopping wood. With your hands separated in a split grip, it becomes much more difficult to chop, and if you do, the motion is much more noticeable.

This helped me a ton a few years back.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Josh Lyman posted:

A drill that will help with both the backswing and downswing is to use a split grip, kinda like a hockey player. Your instinct to start the downswing with your right hand/shoulder is akin to chopping wood. With your hands separated in a split grip, your right hand is in a physically weaker position making it more difficult to chop. If you do, the motion is much more noticeable and you should be able to avoid it.

thanks. I was playing around with this the other day. it did seem to help but it was also so new to me (was trying it on the course out of frustration) that I was introducing different problems. May try it at the range though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mattfl posted:

Tiger fairway on first hole and birdie on first hole.

Pack it in boys, Tigers got this one.

Tiger gonna miss the cut :(

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Daric posted:

Yeah that’s great, he’s T42.

“Drive for show, putt for dough”

- Isaac Newton

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Bryson made a 10 on number 15 and it broke the forums apparently.

He also patted down the rough right before he dropped his ball directly on that spot so we'll see how that plays out on twitter in the next couple of days. Probably not going to get the same amount of outrage Patrick got for the sand incident.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Bryson going full Karen and taking 30 minutes to play 1 hole and by doing so getting Tiger/Brooks into the weekend is something I didn’t expect. My golf Twitter list is blowing up with excellent stuff, though. The many .gifs of him counting the strokes will get use for years to come.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Watching him flatten the grass behind that ball made me queasy. I mean, it wasn't placing the club at address, it was improving his lie. It was, from a visual standpoint, Reed part ii.

Anno
May 10, 2017

lmao look at this petty poo poo

https://twitter.com/ajseidel/status/1284238341832146977

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger AND Bubba morning featured groups?! Yes loving please! You can find me on my couch for the next 5 hours!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Played 14 yesterday in the worst humidity I’ve ever experienced. 14 because of slow play, so after the 7th the ranger asked us to jump to 12 and told us to replay 1-4 at the end. I started with an 8 on both of the first 2 holes, decided to stop scoring the round and just have fun and focus on improving. Realized I was back on my heels too much and was thinning everything, fixed that and played well despite the heat. Had a birdie and 2 pars in the last 6 holes.

Would love to play this weekend but it’s death heat in the northeast so nope, not after yesterday.

And LOL Bryson.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can someone explain like I’m completely daft how I’m suppose to be scoring on Golfshot? Is it total strokes then putts and that 3 strokes and 2 putts totals 5? Or is it 5 with 2 of those being putts?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Can someone explain like I’m completely daft how I’m suppose to be scoring on Golfshot? Is it total strokes then putts and that 3 strokes and 2 putts totals 5? Or is it 5 with 2 of those being putts?

The latter.

Anno
May 10, 2017

For some reason I find this quite funny.

https://twitter.com/gfordgolf/status/1284869243444453377

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I'm certain I'd never want Phil as a friend. I'm equally certain I'd rather play golf with him than any other pro.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I want to be disappointed in Tigers showing but maybe I need to accept he won't be in contention ever week now.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
https://twitter.com/sean_zak/status/1284902754461327360?s=21

Amazing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phil has given fewer and fewer fucks in the last few years and I love him for it

torgeaux posted:

I'm certain I'd never want Phil as a friend. I'm equally certain I'd rather play golf with him than any other pro.

And yeah, this. He'd be amazing to play with and is probably also that friend that you only want to deal with like 2-3 times a year.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I'm playing in a Ryder Cup style tournament this winter with some of my buddies but I haven't gotten to play recently. Weather's pretty nice so I'm going to try to hit some balls this afternoon.

My friend that's Reed's caddy set it up and is getting special prizes for everyone. Should be a lot of fun if Covid doesn't make us cancel it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well I’m no BCRock but I just had my best round ever.

Still figuring out the new driver but my short game was absolutely lights out today. Missed a 3’ putt for birdie on 12 and had 2 other birdie putts stop within an inch or two of the hole. Was happy with my putting though, my pace was dead on all day. Amazing when you get to putt on absolute true greens how much better you can score.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

The latter.

Ok so as it turns out my scores were completely wrong, I should go edit them

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Wife gone, kid down for afternoon nap, beer poured, ready to watch some golf for a couple hours... rain delay. God drat it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

As someone who lives in Dublin it sure looks like it's been on the verge of storming for a couple hours now. I hope they can get it all in, but I'm not super confident.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

Well I’m no BCRock but I just had my best round ever.

Still figuring out the new driver but my short game was absolutely lights out today. Missed a 3’ putt for birdie on 12 and had 2 other birdie putts stop within an inch or two of the hole. Was happy with my putting though, my pace was dead on all day. Amazing when you get to putt on absolute true greens how much better you can score.

Nice round dude. 15/18 greens and getting up and down on 2/3 of those is a hell of a round.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

lol they're gonna give Rahm a 2 stroke penalty

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What a bullshit penalty. Chamblee just said this probably happened hundreds of times this week with a ball perched up in the thick rough.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Lmao what an absurd thing holy crap. Thankfully it didn’t affect anything major I guess?

Also moves Rahm to #1 in OWGR I think?

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 20, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a ton of rollover in my betting account so even though I hate golf betting because it’s such a crapshoot, I threw bets on 7 different people to finish in the top 10:
Tiger
JT
Jason Day
Viktor Hovland
Schauffle
Sepp Straka
Matsuyama

Schauffle was 1 stroke from T10 and Jason Day was 5/1 so not a total failure but yeesh. Maybe I’ll bet on top 20 for next week.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

My course does a big fantasy golf league and all of the guys who do it just seem exasperated and frustrated all the time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah golf betting is the absolute worst. You can do well if you bet groupings, like who’s going to play best today in this threesome, but that’s beyond me.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Golf betting is also very hard because it's tough to put aside your own biases. Patrick Reed has made $4m on the course this year even though they missed 3 months of tournaments but no one is going to bet on him.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So after rescoring myself properly, as it turns out I scored 124 instead of 86 on a par 74 course

I knew I wasn’t that decent on one of my first go’s

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

So after rescoring myself properly, as it turns out I scored 124 instead of 86 on a par 74 course

Haha :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Lol. Did you have like 16 clubs in your bag and need to give yourself multiple penalties on every hole?