Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my boss does not get a window into my home life sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my boss does not get a window into my home life sorry

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i dont mind video calls but i have specifically used a fake background for all of them lol if anyone is seeing my den

they do get to see my dog though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I keep my camera off and mic muted unless I’m directly taking to someone. but I don’t care if people see my home office.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

work can see my office when they pay for it

also i'm writing off march-dec on taxes because my work told me to wfh
i still won't reach the standard deduction

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just lol if you don’t use the beach background on all work video calls.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i expensed a green screen that I use sometimes for zoom calls, you can get up to some great poo poo with that and obs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the people who use the "i am in a library full of books" fake background induce lols

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i use the looney tunes circle thing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

goatse is a bold statement

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

im literally the most paranoid person on this forum and i spend 3 hours a day on zoom calls. its fine. just put some pants on

Lol your Mac now has a virus

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am never putting my pants back on, it's the only liberating thing about this whole covid mess

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I use a photo of an office from the 1890s as my background

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
you didn’t need to video chat me in February, you don’t need to video chat me now. turns out we already have a fleshed out communication protocol called “getting on a conference call”.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a surprising number of my clients have absolutely no idea what i look like. it didn't start with covid

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

infernal machines posted:

a surprising number of my clients have absolutely no idea what i look like. it didn't start with covid
value add imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
definitely a win-win as they say

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

im gonna copy this for my group calls

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my friend hosted a Friday-happy-hour of Jackbox Party Pack over WebEx and it went over real well. gotta try that on next time my manager want to do team building.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

limaCAT posted:

Lol your Mac now has a virus

it's not my mac, i don't give a poo poo

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
March of technology report:

https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/1283806670292832256?s=20

their CEO showed off shooting some 12K footage onto a flash drive then immediately editing it on a MacBook Pro

compare that to when they bought DaVinci back in ‘08 and he said “we might be able to get the price of a 4K system down to below $500k someday” because that would require 8 GPUs spread across 3 systems linked with infiniband.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jimmy Carter posted:

my friend hosted a Friday-happy-hour of Jackbox Party Pack over WebEx and it went over real well. gotta try that on next time my manager want to do team building.
I've done that a couple times for my team, but hosted on twitch since I already had an account & OBS for the capture

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jimmy Carter posted:

March of technology report:

https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/1283806670292832256?s=20

their CEO showed off shooting some 12K footage onto a flash drive then immediately editing it on a MacBook Pro

12,000 pixels across a 24mm wide sensor means the photosites are 2 microns across. 500 pixels per millimeter = 250 line pairs per millimeter, to use the trivial interpretation.

the absolute highest resolution camera lenses available, when everything is set up and dialed in perfectly on an optical test bench, can resolve about 200 lp/mm. a more realistic figure for a well focused lens on a tripod with normal atmospheric and mechanical aberrations is about 80-100 lp/mm. get slightly out of focus and you're hitting <20.

okay, assume we somehow operate in perfect focus and manage to get every diffraction pattern imaged in high resolution. assume we have projectors capable of displaying the image exactly without inserting aberrations of their own. assume the average human being sitting 50 feet away from a movie theater screen with their pupils wide open can resolve the detail in the frame.

do we even have makeup that can stand up to that scrutiny? how many painted-over ingrown beard hairs on tom cruise's face do we really need to see to enjoy the film?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

12,000 pixels across a 24mm wide sensor means the photosites are 2 microns across. 500 pixels per millimeter = 250 line pairs per millimeter, to use the trivial interpretation.

the absolute highest resolution camera lenses available, when everything is set up and dialed in perfectly on an optical test bench, can resolve about 200 lp/mm. a more realistic figure for a well focused lens on a tripod with normal atmospheric and mechanical aberrations is about 80-100 lp/mm. get slightly out of focus and you're hitting <20.

okay, assume we somehow operate in perfect focus and manage to get every diffraction pattern imaged in high resolution. assume we have projectors capable of displaying the image exactly without inserting aberrations of their own. assume the average human being sitting 50 feet away from a movie theater screen with their pupils wide open can resolve the detail in the frame.

do we even have makeup that can stand up to that scrutiny? how many painted-over ingrown beard hairs on tom cruise's face do we really need to see to enjoy the film?

its so you can "punch in" in post and not have to hire so many camera ops for ur multicam show, op. RIP to the DP!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
hey guys. is the mac arm thing gonna blow up all my poo poo, or? =/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah they're gonna do a Rosetta thing so your intel compiled poo poo will run okay

i'm trying as hard as i can to get five more months out of this lovely work laptop b/c i'm due for a new one and i want that 16 hour ARM battery life

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i spend 10k on a mac pro and now all my softwares gonna run thru some wine thing. hosed up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

hey guys. is the mac arm thing gonna blow up all my poo poo, or? =/

nobody knows yet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
this compy dont even have no normal plugs and now it dont even have software. hosed. up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
turns out all computers are bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

turns out all computers are bad

thats the drat truth op. thank you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly about the CPU switch, i think it'll be really cool that they can theoretically release one app that runs either on your phone, tablet or your laptop. hopefully they'll actually do that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
u will just use the existing ios version of the app instead of the osx version u use now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

u will just use the existing ios version of the app instead of the osx version u use now

what happened to ur av?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

im fine with that. half the downloads means i can torrent more anime

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

nah they're gonna do a Rosetta thing so your intel compiled poo poo will run okay

i'm trying as hard as i can to get five more months out of this lovely work laptop b/c i'm due for a new one and i want that 16 hour ARM battery life

same but now that its basically a desktop i just want the refreshed tech since work would pay for the faster spec to get longer use

our upgrade cycle is about 5 years, so its still a good 2015 pre-touchbar but i doubt i can convince them to sell it to me at a discount after decom since my 2012 mba is on the cut list for big sur

Jonny 290 posted:

im fine with that. half the downloads means i can torrent more anime

oh! thats one thing my old mba does well. i set it up as an icloud caching server so our remote stuff doesnt have to hit out of network as much. id do the app store as well but i think app slicing makes that less beneficially now unless theres similar devices

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the kindle mac app is busted so using the ios one would prob be a huge improvement

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Smythe posted:

this compy dont even have no normal plugs and now it dont even have software. hosed. up.
hey smythe how goes it. hope you’re ok in these hosed up times

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

it lets you crop out 3/4 of the video in post and still have 4K

not that it matters for any scene with any amount of motion since it’s going to be blurred to death anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cropping out 3/4 of the scene still leaves you with the lens resolution problem, though. sensor resolution isn't the only thing that limits enlargement.