Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B-but Star Citizen is the BDSSE! It will crush every other game and we won't need them! The Bartender is a living, breathing AI!

The next thing you FUDsters will tell me is that Chris Roberts lied! D:

E: Taxxe?

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

SpitefulHammer posted:

Taken from the ToW leaks thread on reddit:

People who laugh at bugs are serial killers...

hello there's a rule for offsite stuff it looks like

op posted:

• Special quoting rule: If you're going to post quotes from offsite forums like reddit, please use the text quote function and omit the poster's name. This should cut down on Personal Forums Enemy poo poo and keep everyone out of trouble.

godspeed and fly safe

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Torquemada posted:

This reminds me of the guy who wanted the SC client to take over the players PC so they couldn’t use Discord or out of game communication software to ‘cheat’.

quote:

A good (but not popular) way to stop any possible cheat in a multi-player game would be to program the game Client to refuse to run unless on that computer no other software is operational but the Operating System and an anti-virus software.

No third party utilities, programs, scripts, nothing, just the Client, period.

If while the game Client is running some other software is opened the game Client would send a warning message that, unless within X time that software is closed the game Client would self-shut down....

This way, players would just be using the Client to play the game and when they want to do else, shut down the client and do else...

This would also solve the issue of having players using external Third party COMMs rather then the in-game one.....

I know, I said that already, it would not be a popular thing, unfortunately, but it would be a good way, I imagine, to stop any and all cheating in a game and have players to either have to play the game only as it was intended to be played or, not play it at all......

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 19, 2020

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Rugganovich posted:

A smoke break?, that's so passé.

It's a vape break.

EDIT: CAT TAXXE

I'm finding it hilarious picturing the names of vape flavors they'd put in SC. Everything in Star Citizen has to be ham-handedly about space, from the music to the JPG hotdogs, so I can't picture they'd break the trend for vape cartridges.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

By the punctuation that must've been B'Tak

I hope he's in a better place now (not Microtech)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Doesn't Skyrim already do this? There are shopkeepers with daily routines and proper reactions, there are NPCs shopping. You can even have superb fidelity with mods. What am I missing?

EDIT: Thinking of this... do barmans ever sleep or have shifts?
Oblivion does this, it came out in 2006.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I really think CIG is the victim of their own transparency. Everything is so visible, so when the inevitable process of having to push back some features happens, everyone brings out a pitch fork and says how incompetent they are, or “why add it when they know it won’t make the release?” In reality, the amount of new gameplay and features these quarterly updates give is pretty massive compared to any other game.

Compare to a game like Call of Duty. The next season will be releasing next month, but we have no idea what will included. They could have big plans or just tiny, but we have no transparency and thus no expectation for it.

Also consider Call of Duty has multiple massive studios working on the game, and they do close to quarterly updates and all you typically get is one new gun, a small map or two, and maybe a minor new feature or two. Compare that to Star Citizen, whose studios are smaller, and you’ll realize just how much Star Citizen is able to do. I’m glad they’ve reeled in their road maps a bit. People were just too unrealistic in their expectations. Devs have internal road maps all the time that get gutted and altered, but the public never sees them so it doesn’t create any disappointment or outrage. Keep in mind as well, CIG is also working on a massive single player game on top of everything else.

I know it’s frustrating because we all want this game to get to a point where there’s a lot of meaningful and fun gameplay loops to engage in, but the speed and scale at which they’re going is probably one of the best in the game development world. Particularly when you factor in the unprecedented scale of Star Citizen.

quote:

Realistically, CIG is a victim of ignorant people talking like they are experts and other ignorant people believing them. There is really nothing abnormal about the process CIG has so far endured in creating Star Citizen. It's pretty par for the course in fact. What people seem to forget is that CIG hired hundreds of employees around the world and build a company from the ground up while doing it. It's also their first game as a company being created so they don't have the advantage of their tools already being created and assets already done from their previous game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm finding it hilarious picturing the names of vape flavors they'd put in SC. Everything in Star Citizen has to be ham-handedly about space, from the music to the JPG hotdogs, so I can't picture they'd break the trend for vape cartridges.

it'll have similar lore to their drinks

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/14174-LORE-BUILDER-FIFTEEN-Beverages

quote:

Students on Rhetor IV (Mentor) quickly discovered that local plum-like fruit — “bilva” — can be used as a base for strong spirit brandy. First it was an amateur “homemade” product known only on Mentor, but it got huge popularity when group of students started smuggling it to Rhetor III (Reisse) campus in 2872. The same three students two years later start Bilva Brandy Brewers company (Mentor based) and brandy – B3 become huge success system wide.

“Hardcore” and expensive version is 160 proof uncut straight brandy (limited edition) served always neat, sold in handcrafted colorful bottles (color palette changes every year). It’s especially popular within the Elite Naval Guard garrison on Rhetor II (Persei). Less extreme consumers prefer Original 100 proof version sold in half liter “unbreakable bottles”; it mixes very well in cocktails (university professor’s favorite drink). B3 smooth is lower alcohol level “mass market” brandy sold in huge variety – from small plastic one-sip containers to huge gallon bottles. B3 smooth never got too popular on Mentor (as students there prefer B3 Original) but it is a huge market success on Reisse where it is present at every student party.

There is also space tequila, which comes -I guess- from space Mexico.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 19, 2020

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

developing a game in alpha in year 8 is the same as free updates for a released game, you FUDs

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
level 1
onewheeldoin200
Lackin' Kraken
9 points
·
20 hours ago
I don't think anyone believed Sean Tracy when he said it would be out by end of Q2 2020 haha. Oh well, that's fine, they'll get there eventually. Like Elon Musk, they never deliver on time but they do deliver something really cool a little while late.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They do but you will never see it because the servers always crash before their shift is over.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Righteous, thanks buddy!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lord Stimperor posted:

By the punctuation that must've been B'Tak

I hope he's in a better place now (not Microtech)

At least, that’s how he sees it.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

it'll have similar lore to their drinks

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/14174-LORE-BUILDER-FIFTEEN-Beverages

There is also space tequila, which comes -I guess- from space Mexico.

Jesus Christ. :words:

I know it's been said before but all of the Star Citizen lore is the same quality as a teenagers D&D campaign. This entire thing is like Zybourne Clock but it somehow got a third of a billion dollars.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Rugganovich posted:

a contender steps forward.

Thoatse, do your thing.

https://i.imgur.com/oBlsezu.gifv

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DigitalPenny posted:

You know my wife had a meltdown when first moving in with me because i had the Japanese style bedroom with matres on the floor .. i just liked it that way not because of my gaming setup.

I did not get it either ... needless to say i now sleep high off the ground, in a very grand bed frame. Apparently the risk of me falling out of bed drunk and hurting myself is not something we should be concerned about.

I also learned social status is also determined by the distance you sleep from the floor. which is what filthy hobos and peasants do.

Yeah, it always brings to mind those beds where there's like

* bed frame that's about 2 feet high
* sub-box spring adds 1/2 foot
* actual box spring adds 1/2 foot
* mattress adds 1 foot
* mattress topper/protector/whatever adds ~1/2 foot

By the end you need some kind of step ladder to make it up to the bed.

We went as low as we reasonably could. It's about a knee height platform bed because we went with the one that had storage drawers in it that we just put off-season clothing in.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Scam Citizen: Now in Alpha of the Alpha of the Alpha-Alpha = True AAAA Gaming

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/EBIq4pa.mp4

:colbert:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah, it always brings to mind those beds where there's like

* bed frame that's about 2 feet high
* sub-box spring adds 1/2 foot
* actual box spring adds 1/2 foot
* mattress adds 1 foot
* mattress topper/protector/whatever adds ~1/2 foot

By the end you need some kind of step ladder to make it up to the bed.

We went as low as we reasonably could. It's about a knee height platform bed because we went with the one that had storage drawers in it that we just put off-season clothing in.

We're probably moving to futon in living room once the child gets a bit bigger (Star Citizen still won't be in beta, though), because only two main living rooms and futon is foldable even in uncomfy European countries.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Rugganovich posted:

I've still got my trusty ol X52 Pro.
But as I was playing more flight sims, not milsims, got a Logitech yoke, which I've just replaced with a Honeycomb yoke.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

I'm getting flashbacks to the great "space shuttle" flight controls debate of yesteryear.

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 19, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
RUTOS HOLOGRAM IS NAKED

It’s gonna take a lot of cute to erase this image...

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Poor Oddium, we don't even need to post the names of these people anymore. They've been irretrievably burnt into our psyches.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDkfTOsT6YY

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rugganovich posted:

I've still got my trusty ol X52 Pro.
But as I was playing more flight sims, not milsims, got a Logitech yoke, which I've just replaced with a Honeycomb yoke.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

I just got a Honeycomb too in preparation for FS2020. It’s so great; I just wish their throttle was out already so I don’t have to be mixing and matching between brands.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Doesn't Skyrim already do this? There are shopkeepers with daily routines and proper reactions, there are NPCs shopping. You can even have superb fidelity with mods. What am I missing?

Funny story, my SO walked by while I was watching one of the bartender clips, peered over my shoulder, and made the off-hand comment, "That looks like a Skyrim mod."

Which is completely understandable, given the NPCs still have the awkward stiff-shouldered posture between changing directions or switching between animations, and one of the random passersby in the background was constantly walking into the bar. For all of Robert's talk about NPC 'actors' being indistinguishable from player-characters, Star Citizen NPCs behave very much like primitive versions of the NPCs from a game released in the early 2010s.

Admittedly, Star Citizen itself is a janky old game from the early 2010s - it just never got a proper release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTyN_NMnhM is part of a series lampooning Skyrim NPCs, but reminds me a lot of Star Citizen 'AI.'

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

RUTOS HOLOGRAM IS NAKED

That's just mundane picture of someone attending web conference from home office, common occurence during the pandemic.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dwesa posted:

That's just mundane picture of someone attending web conference from home office, common occurence during the pandemic.

I see they have the "futuristic broom cupboard" background

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

Jesus Christ. :words:

I know it's been said before but all of the Star Citizen lore is the same quality as a teenagers D&D campaign. This entire thing is like Zybourne Clock but it somehow got a third of a billion dollars.

so i am not an expert on sc's lore, but from what i picked up until now sc lore has one very amateurish aspect: it never leads to anything. its just fluff and more fluff. i did a tiny little bit of writing in the past and i would always ask myself: is this info important to my story? does it advance the story? if the answer is no, then cut it. of course you should know the conclusion of your story even before you start writing the details. but will sc/sq66 tell some interesting story arc? are they even able to know whats important and which parts are better thrown out?

like, we do not know much about cyberpunk now but i am pretty sure the team has a plan what story they want to tell.
in contrast, sc's lore really feels like the stories we as players would make up on the fly while playing.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Realistically, CIG is a victim of ignorant people talking like they are experts and other ignorant people believing them.

This is mostly true. Unfortunately, the ignorant people talking like they are experts work for CIG (one of them is even in charge), and the other ignorant people keep giving them more money.

I'm not sure how CIG is the victim in this scenario, is all.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
So Star Citizen is supposedly in alpha, correct? And Citizens aren't pledging to a get a ship or whatever, they're really pledging to support the game with no promise to ever get the ship, right? And isn't the purpose of CIG letting players play the PTU to help "beta test" the game? So why doesn't CIG just let every backer "beta tester" have access to every ship, weapon, item, upgrade, and armor? Wouldn't this let more backers test more stuff more quickly and efficiently? Isn't that the whole point of testing?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

So Star Citizen is supposedly in alpha, correct? And Citizens aren't pledging to a get a ship or whatever, they're really pledging to support the game with no promise to ever get the ship, right? And isn't the purpose of CIG letting players play the PTU to help "beta test" the game? So why doesn't CIG just let every backer "beta tester" have access to every ship, weapon, item, upgrade, and armor? Wouldn't this let more backers test more stuff more quickly and efficiently? Isn't that the whole point of testing?

That is indeed the point of testing and would be a good strategy for running an alpha or a beta program. CI¬G is not interested in any of that, though. Why test or be in any kind of game development stage when you can instead appeal to false and wholly artificial scarcity and just rake in cash without any of the bother of making a game?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Real answer: cos they want you to buy ships.

Citizen answer: everyone would just "test" the "best" ships.

Essentially players can't be real testers, they'll find bugs yes but you also need boring real play testers with testing scripts.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
So I watched FTR's last stream on the patched 3.10. It was like watching a 6 hour train wreck. FTR attempts to do a box mission, server 30ks as he is turning in the last box. FTR attempts attempts to do another box mission, except this time as he is turning in the last box he falls through the planet on the way to the building. FTR decides to go do the 890 jump mission. Goes to space station to buy weapon. Goes to leave space station, spends 10+ minutes trying to get a ship of his to spawn. Finally gets a ship to spawn. QT with his ship. A second after he initiates QT he gets dumped out of the ship and is stranded in the middle of space with no markers. Suicides, changes servers. Goes to the 890 Jump and does the mission. Pirate NPCs stand idly, barely moving and almost never firing, while FTR shoots them up with impunity. NPCs die, fall upward a flight of stairs in dramatic fashion, leave guns hanging in the middle of the air. FTR gets in the 890J's shuttle, shuttle explodes as soon as it enters QT, FTR wakes up in a wankpod with a crime stat. Also during all this while FTR was in a craft taking up with buddies the craft explodes because the autopilot didn't stay in the Sonic Ring Tunnel Thing well enough. FTR wakes up in the wank pod and dies on the bed, of course.

The enjoyment I got out of it was waiting for the game to randomly screw over FTR, but honestly, how can anyone still back this mess? After 8 years and 300 million dollars, this is what they got? Spend 30 minutes walking, taking a train, QTing to a box, pick up a box, spend another 15 minutes in travel time staring at a boring blue screen, till you reach a destination, walk into a building, set box down on a shelf? All this time and money and the best they could come up with is Space Walmart Shelf Stocker? I know what I'm looking at, I used to be a Walmart shelf stocker, and I could come up with more existing game-play! Literally the most boring "gameplay" I've ever seen. Like Euro Truck Simulator, except a hundred times worse. No navigating traffic and difficult roads in bad weather, no visceral feel of driving a huge truck, no beautiful vistas and a sense of exploration, no consistent and persistent truck upgrades and new trucks to get you hooked in and to give a sense of progression. I've seen Pogo stick games/college student projects that are more fun. No wonder FTR has to drink so much to get through a SC stream. Honestly, I think the game might be worse without the bugs. Watching the bugs and glitches screwed over the streamer is funny. Without it, it just be tedious boredom. Also, FTR stated he had to upgrade to 64GB of RAM because the game kept crashing in certain areas due to memory leaks. What market does CIG think exists that for that? Man, what lunacy! And they're talking about raking in millions days after release according to leaks! And yet, Citizens are freaking out over an overly animated bartender that is less fun to interact than the Freelancer bartender because at least the Freelancer bartender usually had juicy information and gossip that helped in worldbuilding.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 19, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Goes to the 890 Jump and does the mission. Pirate NPCs stand idly, barely moving and almost never firing

Must have been a bad server. They have bartender AI now!

NPCS SEEK COVER HORIZONTALLY WITH NO REGARD TO HEIGHT OR FLOORING.

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- Friend shoots above or below AI (the bridge of the 890 mission)
- AI below (in the bar/meeting room) seek cover as if the threat is on their floor.
- anyone going into the bar/meeting room will see the AIs with their back turned/seeking cover against a player in the bridge, despite there being no way to approach that room from that side.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

which is amazing when the bar tender can take up to a whole minute to react to some one ordering a drink !
FPS AI is frosty !

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Pixelate posted:

RUTOS HOLOGRAM IS NAKED

id settle with Ortwin too if hes going to call naked.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

which is amazing when the bar tender can take up to a whole minute to react to some one ordering a drink !
FPS AI is frosty !

Citizens are used to being ignored for minutes at a time when they crawl out of their basements long enough to need to deal with hosts/servers/bartenders and such so for them it's got the fidelity they crave

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Richie Stardust posted:

It's been so long!! And now I have so many fun posts to read. I now have a second child, a little boy I call TigerMan. I started racing BMX (a dream I've had since the 80's), I've advanced in my career, bought a new house and moved to a new city, and whatever the gently caress else has happened.

I came back to the thread for the lols and just seeing the little bbcode gifs are killing me. I forgot about dancing sandi and how stupid "evocatiavototo" or whatever the gently caress sounds. I only remember that guys balls. And bootcha's cat video. Oh and the time the warlord inverse double-trolled himself while simultaneously fighting against stolen valor.

lol Star Citizen is never coming out.

Fake Edit: Oh poo poo and the children's book about the dream factory. drat that was dynamite

Congrats on what sounds like a successful life, friend! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SpitefulHammer posted:

Taken from the ToW leaks thread on reddit:

People who laugh at bugs are serial killers...

I watched the video, noticed the bartender did not have subtitles or use ASL to communicate. I saw the guy place a cup on a table and it vanishes.

I was disappointed that instead of working on a fun game, cig is focused on these weird details people will do once or twice and never engage again... and that it took them 3 years to do something that doesn't seem like 3 years of work.

I hope this doesn't make me on the same level as a serial killer in somebody's eyes. :ohdear: