Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Stux posted:

agreed the poor should just not have entertainment.

also why do you keep saying $600, even ps3 and launch kinect xbone were $500, and console prices crater later on which where the majority of sales come from. most people are buying in between $200-300.

Who said that? Why are you putting words in my mouth because I have both a PS4 and Xbone?

I think you're clueless.

I said both consoles now around about $600 total (Xbone + PS4) and estimate that new consoles are probably about 5-600.

I don't think you capable of having an actual discussion about this, so I guess go enjoy your one system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

XtraSmiley posted:

I guess so?

If $300 is such a big purchase, I guess I am out of touch. I probably blow that on groceries over a month for my family. If we cut back for about 12 weeks a tiny bit, we'd be able to save up $300.

I'm sorry you're not in that situation.

i have a pc a ps4 and a switch im fine dude, but yes you are out of touch. also theres the line of being able to technically afford something but it being a bad purchase and still signficant to your finances. sounds more like you have no sense of finances than it being an issue with other people lol

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

what do you hope to gain from this conversation

I don't know. It just seems weird that people are still arguing about getting a PS over Xbone or whatever.

I mean, teens or kids I can understand, but really adults, don't you just grab both? I mean, why tear down one because you have the other?

No sure I guess!

I have the Bone and I like it a lot, including Gamepass. I bought it after my PS4 due to exclusives, but if I didn't own both and won the lottery one day, I would buy both.

Wouldn't anyone? I mean, why limit yourself to one system AND then complain about the other systems?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
people arent complaining, its working out which one to buy when youll probably only buy one, which is the position the majority of people buying consoles are in. are you an alien.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Stux posted:

i have a pc a ps4 and a switch im fine dude, but yes you are out of touch. also theres the line of being able to technically afford something but it being a bad purchase and still signficant to your finances. sounds more like you have no sense of finances than it being an issue with other people lol

That's exactly why I said people hurting for rent shouldn't be buying brand new game consoles and you accused me of not wanting the poor to have entertainment?

And yes, you got me, I have no sense of finances! You're such a great judge of people, you should be a detective! :)

Stux posted:

people arent complaining, its working out which one to buy when youll probably only buy one, which is the position the majority of people buying consoles are in. are you an alien.

Correction, and interstellar detective, catching solar trespassers!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
its not even hurting for rent, you can be making rent fine and be able to afford a console purchase but have a second one be a waste of money, this isnt a complicated concept

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Any one system has more games than you'd ever play. Having multiple systems is a fairly extravagant luxary. Instead of spending $300 plus whatever on a second system and games, you could spend that money on buying games for your primary system.

I buy everything because I'm an idiot, but you shouldn't look down on people who only are interested in one system. People can act like jerks over it, this is true. But just ignore it.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Zerot posted:

Any one system has more games than you'd ever play. Having multiple systems is a fairly extravagant luxary. Instead of spending $300 plus whatever on a second system and games, you could spend that money on buying games for your primary system.

No this is a super valid point. With GP, I barely get to try out games before they are removed due to license or whatever (and my limited time). But I like exclusives on both systems and as such I have both.

I like Nintendo too, but don't have time to work in a third system right now, but will when the time is right.

Zerot posted:

I buy everything because I'm an idiot, but you shouldn't look down on people who only are interested in one system. People can act like jerks over it, this is true. But just ignore it.

I'm an idiot too buddy.

As for looking down on people, no way, that's not my point, sorry if it came off that way.

I guess I just don't get why adults be like that. I mean, when I was 12 I acted like Stux here, but I've grown way out of that. It's crazy that grown men (and women? people?) still fight over which system is best.

My point was, if you wanted two systems, just get two systems. Even Stux here claims he has a Nintendo, PC, AND PS4! That's 3 freaking systems! Look at Donald J. Trump on SA!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Imagine having a PS4 and end of generation buying an Xbox One knowing it has no games. Or imagine being an "enthusiast" and buying an Xbox SEX at launch when you should know better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Even most people who buy both don't get both at launch. Sometimes you want to get one now and wait for the other to be on sale. This is a smart move when at this point Playstation and Xbox have over 80% the same library.

There are many reasons why not to buy both immediately, including incurring a $1200+ expense in one month. Or you just don't have enough time to play both in the same time period, so why not wait for the other console and it's games to be cheaper? If you waited until two years in you probably pay $500 for a $600 console and what was originally $600 worth of games.

Plus you play your console you chose until then.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

"THOSE people"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

XtraSmiley posted:

It's so interesting to me the Xbone and PS threads where people debate and discuss which console to buy.

I mean it's 2020, don't adults just buy both of them at this point? I mean, I'm not rich but I usually just get all the consoles as it's not that much money. Am I the only one who does this?

Maybe at the launch where they are $600 each, I can def see holding off on one, but we're at the end of the consoles life cycle, both systems would be under $500 at this point, why wouldn't you grab them both?

How is there still this strong of fanboyism 9 years into the consoles life?
I don't think there's much fanboyism in this thread or in any of the general discussions of this forum. People like to (deservedly) dunk on Microsoft for their questionable choices in this thread but I don't think any of us are console warriors.

And no, most people don't buy both consoles. I got a PS4 for Christmas and played it for a few years, and then I traded it in to Gamestop during a promotion and got an Xbox One X, which I've enjoyed playing.

People are discussing the upcoming console launches because it's an interesting topic to talk about.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
[wearing a trenchcoat t o hide the other kid im standing on] hello Fellow Adults measks why thou donst buy both consoles. we all have Job here after all. what is $300?? surely that is no more than a gallon of Milk to us ha ha.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

XtraSmiley posted:

I guess I just don't get why adults be like that. I mean, when I was 12 I acted like Stux here, but I've grown way out of that. It's crazy that grown men (and women? people?) still fight over which system is best.

My point was, if you wanted two systems, just get two systems. Even Stux here claims he has a Nintendo, PC, AND PS4! That's 3 freaking systems! Look at Donald J. Trump on SA!
If you thought Stux was being a console warrior you really are an idiot that can't look past your own experience.

People pointed out that some people can't make rent and your response was they shouldn't be buying anything. You have so little imagination you can't even extrapolate between your position, and not being able to make rent. You keep saying "adults" like adults can't be in precarious financial situations, or think spending $300 on a second console is unnecessary.

Grow up, look around you at other people. What a dick.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 19, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Especially like someone said, were still in the pandemic and stuff like buying brand new consoles are looking iffy at best when real life is so unstable. We all know launches are usually light and it takes awhile before things settle in. Us talking about this is only right.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Marie Antoinette should gently caress off to the bad with money thread and not come back

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

XtraSmiley posted:

I do understand where I think some of your frustration comes from in regards to the general discourse. I feel it too sometimes. The answer to this isn't "just get two systems." The real answer is that people should just kinda chill out and enjoy our shared fun hobby. The good thing about that is you can make it better by trying to be thoughtful and considerate and try to assume that people are decent until evidenced otherwise. I realize that is corny and I don't mean this to be part of a pile-on.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Zerot posted:

I do understand where I think some of your frustration comes from in regards to the general discourse. I feel it too sometimes. The answer to this isn't "just get two systems." The real answer is that people should just kinda chill out and enjoy our shared fun hobby. The good thing about that is you can make it better by trying to be thoughtful and considerate and try to assume that people are decent until evidenced otherwise. I realize that is corny and I don't mean this to be part of a pile-on.

Thanks, you're the only one here with real comments. You're right, I'm going to chill and enjoy my piles of game consoles (PS4 and Xbone).

I'll double down on, if you're a person who is having a tough time making rent, you shouldn't buy either of the new systems! Sorry if that sounds elitist to you (not sorry).

This was more a comment on why people seem to have a hard time picking between the two and not just getting both. After all, it seems most people do get a Nintendo and Xbone/PS4, but maybe b/c they are so different. But that doesn't explain getting a PC and Xbone/PS4, they are very similar after all.

And sorry, I hadn't read the recent pages of posts here, but before it was a lot of Xbone hate from.. PS4 owners? I guess? I'm glad now it's just comments on "which one should I get".

It just seems weird, enjoy what you have and grab both (if you can). Not a big deal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

XtraSmiley posted:

It's so interesting to me the Xbone and PS threads where people debate and discuss which console to buy.

I mean it's 2020, don't adults just buy both of them at this point? I mean, I'm not rich but I usually just get all the consoles as it's not that much money. Am I the only one who does this?

Maybe at the launch where they are $600 each, I can def see holding off on one, but we're at the end of the consoles life cycle, both systems would be under $500 at this point, why wouldn't you grab them both?

How is there still this strong of fanboyism 9 years into the consoles life?

Xbox is in its 4th year of day/date pc releases so this thread is only for people that want to play 360 games but dont want a 360

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Akuma posted:

If you thought Stux was being a console warrior you really are an idiot that can't look past your own experience.

People pointed out that some people can't make rent and your response was they shouldn't be buying anything. You have so little imagination you can't even extrapolate between your position, and not being able to make rent. You keep saying "adults" like adults can't be in precarious financial situations, or think spending $300 on a second console is unnecessary.

Grow up, look around you at other people. What a dick.

Thanks for the name calling, but your opinion of me is irrelevant.

If you can't make rent, you should NOT be buying a brand new video game console.

If that is hard to understand, then just rest easy, it's definitely me who is bad with money.

I keep using the term adults, because grownups are able to discuss things without resorting to name calling or threats when their positions are questioned.

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 19, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You have literally not said one thing about the Xbox, the games on the console or Microsoft’s game delivery platforms. You tramped in here with some lame classist bullshit, which is either tone deaf or deliberately provocative.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

El_Elegante posted:

You have literally not said one thing about the Xbox, the games on the console or Microsoft’s game delivery platforms. You tramped in here with some lame classist bullshit, which is either tone deaf or deliberately provocative.

The most interesting thing MS could do is offer GP on PS5.

But as for you, I'm sorry, you should just eat cake or whatever.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

XtraSmiley posted:

If you can't make rent, you should NOT be buying a brand new video game console.

If that is hard to understand, then just rest easy, it's definitely me who is bad with money.

I keep using the term adults, because grownups are able to discuss things without resorting to name calling or threats when their positions are questioned.
See the thing is the majority of people in this thread, me included, have two or all of the current consoles, but we also have enough self awareness to look at the world around us and see that it's not a question of being "bad with money" that puts people in the position of not being able to afford or simply not wanting to buy several consoles, and it's very weird and telling that you don't understand this.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
God bless your smug heart.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Akuma posted:

See the thing is the majority of people in this thread, me included, have two or all of the current consoles, but we also have enough self awareness to look at the world around us and see that it's not a question of being "bad with money" that puts people in the position of not being able to afford or simply not wanting to buy several consoles, and it's very weird and telling that you don't understand this.

I never said anyone was "bad with money", you can't make points without name calling so now you have to put words in my mouth.

Speaking of self-awareness, that seems rather ironic!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

El_Elegante posted:

God bless your smug heart.

I wish I could take blessing from one so below my stature, but it would be unseeming if I did.

El_Elegante posted:

I’m glad you have no idea how much I make, sweetie.

Stature isn't about how much money you make, that response is exactly my point.

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 19, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m glad you have no idea how much I make, sweetie.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

This was more a comment on why people seem to have a hard time picking between the two and not just getting both.

Pretty sure the last time I saw someone express difficulty choosing between PS4 and Xbone was 2013

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

XtraSmiley posted:

I wish I could take blessing from one so below my stature, but it would be unseeming if I did.

Stature isn't about how much money you make, that response is exactly my point.

No, it’s in the grubby little potshots you have to take to build your ego. Your behavior is quite telling.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

XtraSmiley posted:

agreed adults dont resort to name calling nott like all these freaking children haha

just stop posting go somewhere else. no one wants you here.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

The most interesting thing MS could do is offer GP on PS5.

Sony already has this it's called PS Now. It even does the could gaming thing, and has for like six years, well before Gamepass was even a thing.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

El_Elegante posted:

No, it’s in the grubby little potshots you have to take to build your ego. Your behavior is quite telling.

El_Elegante posted:

Marie Antoinette should gently caress off to the bad with money thread and not come back

Like I said, below my stature.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

univbee posted:

Sony already has this it's called PS Now. It even does the could gaming thing, and has for like six years, well before Gamepass was even a thing.

I've never checked it out, but I have GP and I believe (not 100% sure) that MS puts their in house studio new games on there day 1. I'm not sure Sony does that, but even if they did, a lot of the games I like on PS are not Sony IPs, (although they might be 2nd party).

Also, much like video streaming, it's getting to the point where there is a lot of different ones, I'd like everything to be available in one spot!

Also, I thought PS Now was streaming only, I didn't realize until I just looked at it they did downloads too. I may have to investigate it more now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
“This is beneath me! I’m above it all!” I say as I smear pig poo poo all over myself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
grown ups are able to discuss things when their positions are challenged which is why ill proceed to have a page long meltdown and start yelling about how everyone is below me because i ran headfirst into a wall painted like a tunnel.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Since you asked, PS Now lets you download its PS2 and PS4 games to a PS4. You can also stream them. Its PS3 games are streaming-only. Between all platforms there's something like 800-1000 titles on the service, not sure how much regional variance there is.

You are correct that no games go on PS Now "day one", mostly because the games Sony first parties put out typically don't fit into that economic model (they are largely single player affairs, don't do microtransactions etc.).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
going back to the normal conversation we were all having

TheScott2K posted:

[stupid idiot voice] gonna head on down to a brick and mortar retailer and buy a physical copy of a PS5/Xbox game and then have to redownload the entire thing because only half of the game is in the disc and what is on the disc is completely out of date and was never meant to be playable in the first place

i wonder if the series x and ps5 will be looking at giving physical stores even less console allocations than they were already given everything, wouldnt be surprised if places like amazon got an even larger share of units than they wouldve normally now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamestop closed all over i the past 6 months theres no store to sell the console to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

[stupid idiot voice] gonna head on down to a brick and mortar retailer and buy a physical copy of a PS5/Xbox game and then have to redownload the entire thing because only half of the game is in the disc and what is on the disc is completely out of date and was never meant to be playable in the first place

At this point it's less about the actual on-disc content and more that the disc gives you a physical representation of your "license" that you control.