Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

I just realized I havent eaten beets since I was a kid. All I've ever eaten is sad, sickly sweet canned beets. I should try a beet

You should! A good fresh beet is really good. I’ve had done from our organic veg box which have been incredible. And sometimes the tops are fresh enough to eat too. I’ve made a beet, top and mint soup that was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Think I'm going to try this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016424-mediterranean-beet-and-yogurt-salad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
to be honest i still think they taste overwhelmingly of geosmin but i enjoy them as an ingredient in things

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am officially out of Easter candy. Time to wait until Halloween for great half price candy.

Pro tip, big Asian supermarket chains like HMart and 99 Ranch have TONS of leftover holiday candy that gets deeply discounted. All the classics, like Reese's. And the candy hoarders almost never go there to stock up.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 16, 2020

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

I hate dill which is why I mentioned mint. Mint and beetroot is very good.

I should try that some time, it sounds good. And I love mint.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I am officially out of Easter candy. Time to wait until Halloween for great half price candy.

Pro tip, big Asian supermarket chains like HMart and 99 Ranch have TONS of leftover holiday candy that gets deeply discounted. All the classics, like Reese's. And the candy hoarders almost never go there to stock up.

I usually hit up the CVS and Walgreens around me. They get the good poo poo - Russel Stover truffle eggs, Cadbury mini eggs, multiple Reese's variants - and always have a ton left over. Depending on how locked down I am (guessing 100% still) and how the shopping timing works out, maybe I'll check out 99 Ranch after Halloween to see what they've got.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
WinCo is the pro place for bulk candies fyi. I don't even like candy and I know this.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GWS, you're the closest thing I have to a home on SA, so I'm happy to share my wife is in early labor! From what we can tell, BrianBoitano Jr. enjoys sweets like his dad, pizza, and breakfast tacos.

Speaking of which! When you're in early labor, it's important to get lots of protein early on. It's a marathon day or three.

Baking is also a nice thing to do early, when labor isn't super painful. Standing helps move things along, and cookies can always be stopped and frozen if you need to run out the door.

My only job the next couple days will be to prepare & eat snacks, rub Mrs. Boitano's back, and rest. Speaking of which, ttyl!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Congratulations! And good luck, you’re going to get sworn at, a lot

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah well they usually don't start talking until age 1 yeah? :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah well they usually don't start talking until age 1 yeah? :v:

My son’s first word was “Cat” as he chased our cats around the flat. His second was “gently caress”.

I had to very quickly teach him that it was pronounced “Truck”.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Anyone got opinions on vent hood brands/models? I asked over in the equipment thread but figured it's worth asking here as well. Looking for a 30" ducted under-cabinet thing to drop in and replace the microwave-over-range thing that came with the house and turns out to be a chimney lighter full of grease that's impossible to clean.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

GWS, you're the closest thing I have to a home on SA, so I'm happy to share my wife is in early labor! From what we can tell, BrianBoitano Jr. enjoys sweets like his dad, pizza, and breakfast tacos.

Speaking of which! When you're in early labor, it's important to get lots of protein early on. It's a marathon day or three.

Baking is also a nice thing to do early, when labor isn't super painful. Standing helps move things along, and cookies can always be stopped and frozen if you need to run out the door.

My only job the next couple days will be to prepare & eat snacks, rub Mrs. Boitano's back, and rest. Speaking of which, ttyl!

Good luck! Your life is about to change materially.

Scientastic posted:

My son’s first word was “Cat” as he chased our cats around the flat. His second was “gently caress”.

I had to very quickly teach him that it was pronounced “Truck”.

I’m pretty sure mine’s was “more!” He’s still a greedy-guts. That said, he identified Comte by taste alone last week. (He’s never met a cheese he didn’t like).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Congrats man! It's going to be a awesome journey! I've been a dad for basically my entire adult life, and while it was certainly taxing at points it's also been really, really cool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Congrats, dude!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks all! I'll keep you posted on the first thing we cook on 2 hrs of sleep, whenever that will be. Thankfully we have a couple of days of leftovers and more than a week of freezer meals between now and then.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SubG posted:

Anyone got opinions on vent hood brands/models? I asked over in the equipment thread but figured it's worth asking here as well. Looking for a 30" ducted under-cabinet thing to drop in and replace the microwave-over-range thing that came with the house and turns out to be a chimney lighter full of grease that's impossible to clean.

You might ask here over in DIY. I know I have seen some vent hood chat there:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=160#lastpost

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yo! I just got a new waffle maker!

Whats the best waffle batter recipe out there?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Bananana posted:

hey, same

I dunno about normal waffle batter, but I’m gonna make these because I miss the Vietnamese bakery where I grew up

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Liege waffles are pretty great.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Bananana posted:

does it have to be waffle batter explicitly? i have it on good authority that gws poster brian boitano has a fantastic baby batter mix. pm him maybe?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

E: ^^^ lmao

Y'all should be mega jealous of this patty melt

The Bananana posted:

Cheddar buttermilk waffle BLTs are insane, yo

https://joythebaker.com/2014/05/cheddar-buttermilk-waffle-blts/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oooh tots!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

BrianBoitano posted:

E: ^^^ lmao

Y'all should be mega jealous of this patty melt

Cheddar buttermilk waffle BLTs are insane, yo

https://joythebaker.com/2014/05/cheddar-buttermilk-waffle-blts/

Huh...

I'll admit it:

I never "got" the wedge salad. Doesn't make any sense to me. Just a big ol' slice of lettuce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Bananana posted:

Huh...

I'll admit it:

I never "got" the wedge salad. Doesn't make any sense to me. Just a big ol' slice of lettuce.

:Kicks down door: WEDGE SALAD IS THE BEST.

YOU GET A PERFECT CROSS SECTION OF THE ICEBERG LETTUCE AND GET THE PERFECT RATIO OF CRISPY TO LEAFY

CHOPPED SALAD WITH ICEBERG IS A TRAVESTY

I prefer a romaine chopped salad. Or just spinach, which I'm having for lunch today. Spinach, tomato, green pepper, blue cheese. I know some of you hate green pepper, that's okay, we can have different opinions and still be friends.

Oh man who broke this door

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Big fan of Cobb, myself.

Yum yum yum.

Like a BLT in salad form! :yum:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

So here’s the one I use for quick waffles. I’ve gradually modified it over the years. I use cake flour and a decent amount of sugar because that gives a crispy outside and a really light inside. Use ap flour if you want a more traditional texture. I also
let the batter rest for 20 minutes or so after mixing to let the flour hydrate and the baking powder do it’s initial work.

There’s a variation at the end to use buttermilk, and replace some of the baking powder with baking soda. All other ingredients stay the same.

2 eggs
9 ounce cake flour SIFTED
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoon white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

or
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
¾ milk

Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.

Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.

PREP 5 mins

COOK 15 mins

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This one is miracle level delicious. I was really skeptical the first time because beating the egg whites seemed like way more work than I wanted to put in for waffles but its worth getting out the hand mixer for.

https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/homemade-belgian-waffle-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-5281

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Best waffles i ever had were made with some fancy rear end flour.

Thirteen Colony Rice Waffle Flour

Yeasted Rice Waffles

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Late to beet chat, but sometimes I grate them with a little potato, some flour, egg, and spices and make bigass latke-like thing stuffed with funky cheese and some kind of cured pork, always pan-fried, sometimes in bacon fat. Topped with a whipped cucumber, dill, and greek yogurt sauce with some nice lemon, it's good for me year-round. I'll do the same thing with carrots instead of beets too, depending on what I have a lot of and need to use.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SubG posted:

We’re putting in a remote blower Wolf hood. They make 30” hoods.

Fake edit: 1500cfm and a solenoid controlled remote air damper so we don’t run out of air.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 18, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Fake edit: 1500cfm and a solenoid controlled remote air damper so we don’t run out of air.

The remote blower thing is such a great idea. Interested in hearing how much noise it cuts out. 1500cfm is a powerful, too. I’m jealous.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Update: had the baby. My review:

Just like a food blogger, births need to get to the point a lot quicker. Just like butter, making babies homemade is worth it.

Surprisingly good food at the hospital, great nurses, but gently caress 3/4 of the doctors we interacted with, bedside manner-wise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Just like a food blogger, births need to get to the point a lot quicker. Just like butter, making babies homemade is worth it.

Surprisingly good food at the hospital, great nurses, but gently caress 3/4 of the doctors we interacted with, bedside manner-wise

"babby healthy, somewhat messy. too loud for conversation. TERRIBLE RETURN POLICY. 2 stars."

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrianBoitano posted:

Would not recommend baby personally. But I'm a weird queer gal so like that's just me :v
Hospital food can be decent yeah, we try. What was the menu like out of curiosity?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Re: beets, raw peeled & julienned on a "garden bagel" - bagel with hummus, julienned carrots, tomato, cucumber, sprouts - is excellent!

Hospital food:
Thursday we got dinner at 9 in the basement cafeteria, which was classic hot diner food including the patty melt I mentioned before, my wife's ham and cheese, and other things we eyed like pizza and quesadillas

No breakfast or lunch Friday because wife was stuck on clear liquids and I was staying with her.

For postpartum we get room service, basically one dinner yesterday, a breakfast we just finished, and lunch. Hopefully we're discharged before a second dinner, but it isn't the worst!

Scrambled egg was fantastic texture and doneness, surprisingly. French toast was bland but hit the spot. Wife liked the burrito.

Pad Thai was terrible but wife was too famished to care. Didn't actually know it was terrible until just now asking her about it; at the time she scarfed it down due to hunger and we were talking only about getting the baby fed and swaddled.

The salmon itself was good, the sauce was okay.

Egg rolls were great!

E: got days mixed up

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 18, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Re: beets, raw peeled & julienned on a "garden bagel" - bagel with hummus, julienned carrots, tomato, cucumber, sprouts - is excellent!

Hospital food:
Thursday we got dinner at 9 in the basement cafeteria, which was classic hot diner food including the patty melt I mentioned before, my wife's ham and cheese, and other things we eyed like pizza and quesadillas

No breakfast or lunch Friday because wife was stuck on clear liquids and I was staying with her.

For postpartum we get room service, basically one dinner yesterday, a breakfast we just finished, and lunch. Hopefully we're discharged before a second dinner, but it isn't the worst!

Scrambled egg was fantastic texture and doneness, surprisingly. French toast was bland but hit the spot. Wife liked the burrito.

Pad Thai was terrible but wife was too famished to care. Didn't actually know it was terrible until just now asking her about it; at the time she scarfed it down due to hunger and we were talking only about getting the baby fed and swaddled.

The salmon itself was good, the sauce was okay.

Egg rolls were great!

E: got days mixed up

Mazel tov! I hear that getting decent hospital food is nigh impossible.

(Congrats on the kid too).

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrianBoitano posted:

Hospital food:

Jesus that menu looks so much like ours, but with more options. It's not a Trinity Health owned/operated one, is it? Because the layout, font, a lot of it looks so familiar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

Nice, but beyond the scope of my current project. Wolf range and hood are on the wishlist for an eventual remodel, but at this point I want something I can drop in as a replacement for the deathtrap microwave-over-range without having to put in any additional ductwork/makeup air.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SubG posted:

Nice, but beyond the scope of my current project. Wolf range and hood are on the wishlist for an eventual remodel, but at this point I want something I can drop in as a replacement for the deathtrap microwave-over-range without having to put in any additional ductwork/makeup air.

I think if you go to a more reasonable sized hood you could get away with 7”. Wolf recommends 8” ducts for 1500cfm. If you did a smaller one it’d be ok probably. They make non remote ones.

Don’t buy Bosch. Ours died and Bosch refused to repair it. A repairman came to my house, hit the power switch, nothing happened, and then he told me it was working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Anybody have a good recipe for gluten free pasta dough, and/or brand recommendations? I was looking for the Brooks Headley stuff but no dice as yet. GF pasta salad for a friends birthday, since I know egg and Xanthem gum can bind the flour in a fashion functionally similar to gluten.