Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

devmd01 posted:

Usually hospitals will just contract with GE or whatever to support their stuff.

There are also third-party biomedical engineering firms that hospitals contract with to support all of their devices that can support devices like that, but they still have relationships with the OEM for support if needed.

And if the decompile/rewrite thing were to happen I'm assuming the support path becomes somewhat more, um, complex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
At the risk of outing myself, I work for one of those third party biomed firms...that isn’t something we would touch with a ten foot pole. There is way too much regulation around medical devices and software validation that it wouldn’t be worth the effort. See: Therac-25. We focus our cyber security efforts around risk mitigation, i.e. advising on network isolation/segmentation and applying patches to devices where appropriate.

Security in the medical device industry is getting better but given the capital expense of devices like an MRI they have a lifespan far beyond what is appropriate for the software and operating systems that run them.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 18, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m reminded of an old client that was a vet clinic.

Their ultrasound machine had a bad hd and didn’t boot anymore. We had to order a new 1.8 inch drive, gerry-rig an adapter, get the original drive cloned, rebuild the boot image, and copy some system files that had been corrupt. They did not even blink at the $3k bill they got for fixing it as replacing it would have been 10x that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

So I need a long-term solution for WinXP machines because who the gently caress would approve that capex request ?
Is Windows Embedded still just XP with a registry setting? If so, turn them into that and boot them offline.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

Can they be run in a WinXP virtual machine?

Maybe ! My director doesn't want our group to own the infrastructure behind managing a few hundred business-critical VMs for, basically, until the end of time. And he's right, that's wildly out of scope for us. We did a PoC, it works, we're done with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mllaneza posted:

Maybe ! My director doesn't want our group to own the infrastructure behind managing a few hundred business-critical VMs for, basically, until the end of time. And he's right, that's wildly out of scope for us. We did a PoC, it works, we're done with it.

I guess my thought is if you can image it and turn it into a VM, you can run it on anything for the rest of time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mllaneza posted:

I might get to do that in December for a whole OU. That OU being "Win7/XP machines without an upgrade path to Win10 but still run instruments". I'd like to remove Ipv4 and IPv6 entirely, but some of them need IPv4 to talk to the instruments.

As to why these still exist, let's look at two of my XP systems. They control baby MRI machines, and by "baby" I mean "minivan sized" that cost $2,000,000 new, 10 years ago. The software does not run on Windows 7 or 10 in any compatibility mode. The vendor does not have an upgrade path. Replacing these perfectly functional instruments would cost at least $5 million, plus however much Facilities would charge to demo enough drywall to get them out of the building.

So I need a long-term solution for WinXP machines because who the gently caress would approve that capex request ?

These things are appliances that just happen to run Windows - I have to deal with the same sort of issues with CNC machines.

Each machine goes on its own segment of network, you don't try and apply group policies or manage it like it's a workstation, only the workstation(s) that needs to interact with it can make inbound connections, the same sort of stuff you'd do for any black box IoT appliance that you know nothing about.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I guess my thought is if you can image it and turn it into a VM, you can run it on anything for the rest of time.

In our case the problem tends to be that the instruments are so old that they don't support communication via ethernet or even USB. Also dongles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Right. But our upper bound is 600 non-compliant systems. That's not something to be taken on lightly. All of those VM hosts will need to be managed through their hardware and software lifecycles. We're a glorified desktop support department. My team handles anything that isn't a standard corporate build running standard software, a VM host is in-scope, 600 VM hosts is not.

Sheep posted:

In our case the problem tends to be that the instruments are so old that they don't support communication via ethernet or even USB. Also dongles.

Passthrough of serial and USB ports to any VM is solid enough for dongles and controlling devices over RS-232. I've done it with both kvm and HyperV. Use a PCI card or USB-serial adapter to add serial ports to a modern system.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mllaneza posted:

Right. But our upper bound is 600 non-compliant systems. That's not something to be taken on lightly. All of those VM hosts will need to be managed through their hardware and software lifecycles. We're a glorified desktop support department. My team handles anything that isn't a standard corporate build running standard software, a VM host is in-scope, 600 VM hosts is not.

Passthrough of serial and USB ports to any VM is solid enough for dongles and controlling devices over RS-232. I've done it with both kvm and HyperV. Use a PCI card or USB-serial adapter to add serial ports to a modern system.

It seems like it would be cheaper to hire someone to manage this infra than to get new.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mllaneza posted:

A lot of modern systems actually still have serial ports, or at least headers for it on the motherboard.

The IT department at work is dead-set on removing a Windows XP machine that's still in use to control a hydraulic press and also some other software that refuses to run on anything newer. Turning it into a standalone with no network attachment was acceptable until they realized we'd be using USB drives to get the data off.
When I questioned one of them on why it would be a problem if we use a known clean USB drive that's never leaving the premises and only touches computers that are properly updated and stuff, the answer was "what if the XP computer already has a virus?"

"Then it would already be crypto-ing the entire network, not waiting until someone disconnects it from the network to hopefully infect a usb drive and then magically start crypto-ing the network from a fully up to date Windows 10 computer."
"We take network security very seriously after last time!!" (Last time refers to the time the network got crypto'd and their backups were hit as well.)

This is the same department that gives every user local admin and only passive-aggressively started putting passwords on the advanced settings in ESET after I added a firewall exception for a PLC's internal IP address. Without reverting my change, making my computer the de-facto only system able to talk to the loving PLC.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Geemer posted:

A lot of modern systems actually still have serial ports, or at least headers for it on the motherboard.

The IT department at work is dead-set on removing a Windows XP machine that's still in use to control a hydraulic press and also some other software that refuses to run on anything newer. Turning it into a standalone with no network attachment was acceptable until they realized we'd be using USB drives to get the data off.
When I questioned one of them on why it would be a problem if we use a known clean USB drive that's never leaving the premises and only touches computers that are properly updated and stuff, the answer was "what if the XP computer already has a virus?"

"Then it would already be crypto-ing the entire network, not waiting until someone disconnects it from the network to hopefully infect a usb drive and then magic ally start crypto-ing the network from a fully up to date Windows 10 computer."
"We take network security very seriously after last time!!" (Last time refers to the time the network got crypto'd and their backups were hit as well.)

This is the same department that gives every user local admin and only passive-aggressively started putting passwords on the advanced settings in ESET after I added a firewall exception for a PLC's internal IP address. Without reverting my change, making my computer the de-facto only system able to talk to the loving PLC.

I was waiting for the twist in the last paragraph and I was not disappointed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I see that Colorfinger is streaming some piano playing.

Am I hallucinating or did he once do a beautiful rendition of 'Part of Your World' except it was flavored after Larches IT adventures? Does anyone have that song bookmarked/saved anywhere?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geemer posted:

The IT department at work
Sounds like someone burned their fingers once, so they insist on wearing oven gloves for every task...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hughmoris posted:

Am I hallucinating or did he once do a beautiful rendition of 'Part of Your World' except it was flavored after Larches IT adventures? Does anyone have that song bookmarked/saved anywhere?

You are not hallucinating, he did it and it was glorious. Pretty sure it was called Part of IT. But I don't have it bookmarked and a quick Google search isn't turning it up :(.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You are not hallucinating, he did it and it was glorious. Pretty sure it was called Part of IT. But I don't have it bookmarked and a quick Google search isn't turning it up :(.

Found it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3564747&pagenumber=872&perpage=40#post458610763

He just did a fresh rendition on Twitch. Those lyrics were a thing of beauty.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

It was Out of IT, attributed to Josh Jones and Lunar Suite. I have the link bookmarked but it's coming back as a private video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjpJtL5D-k is where it used to live.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Geemer posted:

We only just dropped the serial port from the standard desktops, network and USB connected instruments are now very solidly in the majority.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mllaneza posted:

I might get to do that in December for a whole OU. That OU being "Win7/XP machines without an upgrade path to Win10 but still run instruments". I'd like to remove Ipv4 and IPv6 entirely, but some of them need IPv4 to talk to the instruments.

As to why these still exist, let's look at two of my XP systems. They control baby MRI machines, and by "baby" I mean "minivan sized" that cost $2,000,000 new, 10 years ago. The software does not run on Windows 7 or 10 in any compatibility mode. The vendor does not have an upgrade path. Replacing these perfectly functional instruments would cost at least $5 million, plus however much Facilities would charge to demo enough drywall to get them out of the building.

We've put those on a quarantine VLAN. They can only interact with each other, WSUS, but not the outside world.

And yeah, we have those too. Including some very expensive electron microprobes running win95? or so. Luckily, those are old enough not to have a TCP/IP stack :v:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

mllaneza posted:

Wait is there a separate kind of MRI machine for babies or is this just a slightly smaller version of a different MRI machine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Presumably the non-baby ones are the ones that they have in Seaworld?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in:

quote:

Computer makes error noise every time I click the mouse. Internet very slow.

Ticket closed:

quote:

Ticket closed. Cat sleeping on keyboard and holding down the "," key. When asked why, user stated "I didn't want to disturb her"

:3:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That is entirely reasonable, yes. :3:

Also, goongrats on the move, job escape, new life, new identity, etc etc etc, Larches. I let this thread go once covid hit, and only just now caught up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

We've put those on a quarantine VLAN. They can only interact with each other, WSUS, but not the outside world.

We were able to get Networking to start a quarantine segment project, I just have to hope they get it ready in time to cut over as planned.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

This is true! I don't mean to hijack the thread about this, but it's something I kept hidden for a very long time. It was the deciding factor of my moving. Now I get to be my authentic self and work for a really understanding and supportive business in a neat city on top of it.

Point being, don't feel any sort of guilt for not knowing. No one knew until like three days ago. Anyways, she/her if you don't mind.

I do have a vagueish television station/Chief Engineer update tho:

The owner of the company I now work for was telling me about my references and how interesting the one from the station was (the GM).

Boss: "What's up with the CE?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Boss: "Your reference referred to him as 'the worst human being to ever walk this planet.' That sounds like a fun place to work."
Me: "Oh, yeah he was... Not okay. Like, at all."

That was pretty much all I said on the matter. I know better than to run my mouth about previous employment. I'm just highly amused that word of CE's absolutely cursed existence has now followed me passively across the country.

He has tainted my very existence and I will never truly be .

:hfive: moving to Denver and revealing yourself buddy. Make sure you check out Blush n Blu 💖

Also, once you have the job, people usually love the horror stories that make the current job sound like paradise, so don't be afraid to share

Weedle
May 31, 2006

now that i'm off probation (bad posting) i'm also happy to say congratulations to larchesdanrew on the changes and improvements in your life!! :hfive:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

take: "Executive Assistants" are professional Karens

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I dunno about that, in my company it's more like the executives they support are corporate Karens.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I dunno about that, in my company it's more like the executives they support are corporate Karens.

This is far more universal. Some executive assistants tend towards that, but almost all executives score high on the Karen scale.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In a previous role at my University I took care of a department that just kept and maintained expensive equipment: lasers, microscopes, etc.

There was a room with two older scanning electron microscopes, and a computer connected to each, one ran Win95, the other Win98. The Win98 machine kept getting kicked off the network by the central security team because they'd see traffic that would profile as Win98 and apparently lots of malware would profile like that as well so they'd assume it was malicious and pop it offline. The Win95 computer didn't have that problem.

Also we were connected to the campus' centrally provided chilled water line, and at some point some of the water was brown. It got brought up in a staff meeting: "Oh I had some time so I put it under the scanning electron microscope, it was mostly iron, so just some rust." He solved the problem by LOOKING AT THE ATOMS like 6 or 7 years later I still can't get over that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FISHMANPET posted:

In a previous role at my University I took care of a department that just kept and maintained expensive equipment: lasers, microscopes, etc.

There was a room with two older scanning electron microscopes, and a computer connected to each, one ran Win95, the other Win98. The Win98 machine kept getting kicked off the network by the central security team because they'd see traffic that would profile as Win98 and apparently lots of malware would profile like that as well so they'd assume it was malicious and pop it offline. The Win95 computer didn't have that problem.

Also we were connected to the campus' centrally provided chilled water line, and at some point some of the water was brown. It got brought up in a staff meeting: "Oh I had some time so I put it under the scanning electron microscope, it was mostly iron, so just some rust." He solved the problem by LOOKING AT THE ATOMS like 6 or 7 years later I still can't get over that.

Shot in the dark, but did you happen to be there in 2004? In the latter half of that year, I did a couple months at VisionTek customer support. We once got a call from a university needing old video card drivers for their Windows 95 computer controlling an electron microscope.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol that's waaaaaay farther back than me. I was still in high school in 2004.

Oh one other funny thing about that pair of microscopes, the one connected to Win95 had a little note taped to the display (of the microscope, not the computer) that said to turn it off when you weren't using it to observe, because the tube wasn't produced anymore so eventually they'd be unable to replace it when they burnt out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

FISHMANPET posted:

That's one of the upsides of the job, just being surrounded by people with expensive toys who know how to use them. We even have internal workshops for making custom equipment, so if I need any custom made metal or wooden parts I can ask them. The idiot bean counters axed our glass blowers sadly, which continues to baffle me.

Though the best part of the university job is the food during Christmas. We have people from all over the world working here and everyone brings some food.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Antigravitas posted:

The idiot bean counters axed our glass blowers sadly, which continues to baffle me.

That is utterly baffling. Was hardly anyone using them, or had they just never actually seen how much a lot of custom glassware actually costs if you don't have your own glass blower?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

senrath posted:

That is utterly baffling. Was hardly anyone using them, or had they just never actually seen how much a lot of custom glassware actually costs if you don't have your own glass blower?

"Pah, how much can test tubes cost? They're like a dollar each on Amazon"

*Pays for German glassblower to fly over from Hamburg with custom glassware as his handluggage*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

senrath posted:

They were well used. All in all a glass blower isn't that expensive. But it is literally impossible to have the tight feedback loop between experiments and glassworks with outside glass makers, so some things just aren't possible anymore. Some experiments just can not be performed at all.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That's rough. My own experience with glass blowing just comes from doing grunt work in a chem lab, where the price savings of an in house blower were definitely discussed more than having to get a piece refined over multiple iterations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Had a friend growing up that had a whole glass blowing setup in his garage, not sure if his dad did it as a hobby, side gig, or what, but man that looked fun; buddy actually ended up learning it from his dad and would make pipes and such, dad did not care.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket came in, and I paraphrase: “please open up a production SQL server on 1433 to the Internet for a vendor proof of concept, this is their source IP.”

Hahhahaha oh hellllll no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in:

quote:

Please help us

Not a single identifying piece of information.

How ominous.