Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I have a small room that is mine, up to a point. Every year or two during the housewide deep clean I have to clean up, reorganize and move all the "I'll just put this here for now" things into proper places. Have to admit it does make for better organizing, because I have decades of tools, paints, kits and miscellany. And yes, I do have containers labeled "bits" "misc" and "things". I know the difference, so it works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Something with a Wynn's livery I hope.

You got it in one specifically this thing

I was originally going to do the car up as the mann filter mamba car but I can't get the colour matched yellow that makes it right so instead I went with this as I could get a hold of the paint in Australia. I'm hoping the decals manage to escape Spain soon and wing their way to me as soon as possible but who knows when postage will open up between the two companies.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I was originally going to do the car up as the mann filter mamba car but I can't get the colour matched yellow that makes it right so instead I went with this as I could get a hold of the paint in Australia. I'm hoping the decals manage to escape Spain soon and wing their way to me as soon as possible but who knows when postage will open up between the two companies.

Oh hell yes. I love all the Wynn's liveries but I never seem to see them much anymore.

Is it that newer Tamiya AMG kit? I've had my eye on that for a while.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Speaking of the AMG GT3, any website recommendations for different livery decals? I've never gone outside what the kit comes with, and have been eyeing the AMG but the kit decals are pretty meh.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh hell yes. I love all the Wynn's liveries but I never seem to see them much anymore.

Is it that newer Tamiya AMG kit? I've had my eye on that for a while.

It’s the non super gt version of the kit and I’m using the hobby design detail kit with it as well which is lovely but comes with a few double ups like the hood vents. The larger dive planes on the front are also made of three pieces of brass which was an interesting challenge tbh.

Immolat1on posted:

Speaking of the AMG GT3, any website recommendations for different livery decals? I've never gone outside what the kit comes with, and have been eyeing the AMG but the kit decals are pretty meh.

I normally get my stuff from bna model world cause they’re in the country and also the only people who stock zero paints in Australia but hiroboy and spot models are also good for alternative decal schemes. Slotfabrik do a really wide range of alternatives but they’re not something I’ve used as I couldn’t get the Mann filter yellow that I was originally going to use on this kit.

Edit: to add that sk decals are lovely to work with and while Indycals ones go on alright they are printed on normal decal paper which means they’re not as shiny as some of the other offerings

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 20, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that a Benchvent spray booth? Been wanting to upgrade mine to a Benchvent lately, but they're very pricey to get here in Canada.

Is that the 1/20 VF-1 you've got going there, or just an equally absurd Tomcat?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finally calling this one done. I decided to go closed cockpit in the end, and I'm fine with that. Decided to go with the mounting stand even though I didn't do it with gear up position.

1/72 Tamiya Bf109E-4/7 TROP.

Last pic taken with shot glass for scale. Mistakes were made but nothing too egregious and I'm more or less happy with the result. Pleased to have it completed, and now the next project is the Yamaha RZV 500R which will be trickier because my painting is going to have to be much, much smoother.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

How do they decide how much to charge for each particular place people can buy a sticker on?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Depends how drunk the teams marketing department can get the sponsors before signing the contract. Unless you're Ferrari in which case Philip Morris cuts them a multi-million dollar cheque each year even though cigarette advertising hasn't been legal in F1 for more than a decade.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Finally done with the lifeboat:

I really like the boat, but the kit has some issues. It's really a reminder why my buddies and me considered Airfix to be bottom tier when we were kids. It's really not up to the standards of their most recent kits. Sinkholes, moldlines and ejection marks everywhere. The worst where the fitting issues though. The whole thing needed quite a bit of filling and sanding. In some places that worked reasonably well, but I had to skip a few because they were not in spots that could be realistically sanded after filling.

It's got a few upsides, though, too. The whole thing is exceedingly detailed including a very elaborate interior:

I strongly suspect that Airfix got access to the engineering drawings in exchange for their donations.
The decals are also top notch, super supple and conforming I got no silvering at all. There's also a ton of marking options for like 20 different boat stations in historic and current marking schemes.

Enjoy some actual footage of the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s-kE99EE7Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCXCawoUEzw

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Finally done with the lifeboat:

Good looking boat! I've watched a number of videos of those things in action, nice to see a model of one.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Is that the 1/20 VF-1 you've got going there, or just an equally absurd Tomcat?

It is the VF-1. Haven’t made a lot of progress due to other commitments but should be picking it up proper in a few weeks. It’s a really pleasant kit and I’ll see if I can post something more of an update at the weekend.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

Finally calling this one done. I decided to go closed cockpit in the end, and I'm fine with that. Decided to go with the mounting stand even though I didn't do it with gear up position.

1/72 Tamiya Bf109E-4/7 TROP.

I'm just starting the 1/48 version of this plane and, from the size of the pieces on the sprue, I would have guessed it is 1/72 scale. Must be a tiny plane.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Pardon the messy bench, but making great progress on the B-25 strafer I'm working on. MRP paints are an absolute dream.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm just starting the 1/48 version of this plane and, from the size of the pieces on the sprue, I would have guessed it is 1/72 scale. Must be a tiny plane.

They're pretty teeny. The wing of my 1/72 P-47 rests above the canopy of my same-scale 109.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Pardon the messy bench, but making great progress on the B-25 strafer I'm working on. MRP paints are an absolute dream.

I'm always up to spend more money on hobby supplies. What's cool about Mr. Paint?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I recently painted some 1:144 macross stuff. A vf-1s... I need to update this thread. Heh. Lets see how soon I can get stuff uploaded.

the VF-1 is.. tiny. It's like A4 sized. The Battleoid mode is like 2/3 the height of a Gundam.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, they are small robots but rather large planes.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

They're pretty teeny. The wing of my 1/72 P-47 rests above the canopy of my same-scale 109.

I'm always up to spend more money on hobby supplies. What's cool about Mr. Paint?

It just sprays beautifully. I can get silk-smooth coats of paint shooting at 12-15psi. It dries quickly, comes in a lot of colors specific to military modeling, and is compatible with Tamiya paints and thinners for custom mixing. The downsides are that they're lacquers and require ventilation, and that they're kinda hard to find in the US. Sprue Brothers just started stocking them, but for a long time hobbyworld-usa.com was the only way to get it. Even pre-quarantine, inventory and supply was sporadic at best.

Anyway, I bought a Cameo 4 mask cutter a few weeks ago and tried my hand at making a set of masks for the B-25. They turned out splendidly. Super happy with how this is going. I've got any number of tasks that I can still irrevocably screw up, but so far, so good. I'm modeling a ship from the 345th Bomb Group as photographed after a belly landing at Clark Field in the Philippines in 1945.

Once the decal on the vertical stabilizer sets, I'm going to cut it along the line between the stabilizer and rudder, then pull the tape up to remove part of it, as the aircraft in the reference photos has clearly had its rudder replaced at some point.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Anyway, I bought a Cameo 4 mask cutter a few weeks ago and tried my hand at making a set of masks for the B-25. They turned out splendidly.

What are you using for masking material? I have a Cameo 4 and used the Tamiya masking film. It worked fine, but is on the expensive side. I also tried using the clear transfer film that came with the Cameo and had some problems with bleeding. I have some of the J&H Best Crafts transfer film which is great for vinyl transfers, but haven't tried it as a stencil/mask for scale modeling.

Anyway, here's my first attempt using the Tamiya masking film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZcyCD8K14

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm using Oramask 810. It's the same stuff montex uses and it's pretty ideal. The stencils will shrink if you let them sit too long (weeks) after cutting, but if you cut them the same day you use them, it's a non issue. As a plus, you don't need any backing sheets like with the Tamiya paper.

810 is meant for use on non-flat surfaces, so it's a bit softer and stretchier. The more readily available Oramask 813 is meant for flat surfaces and doesn't take complex curves without deforming. I feel its adhesive backing is too strong for model work too, so if you use it, you have to try to de-tack it before sticking it to your model.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, they are small robots but rather large planes.

Well... a VF-1 is around 3/4 the size of an F-14 - or, broader wingspan in full extend than an F-15C, by a meter or so, but shorter by 5 m
Outside of that they do tend to be comparable in size to the 14/15/22 complex, which tbf are pretty big (The Flanker family is bigger, though)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Still puttering away on the Bluenose. The rigging is progressing well and all the flags are aloft. Still lots to do, but I get the sense that what is ahead is less than what has been done.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phy posted:

Well... a VF-1 is around 3/4 the size of an F-14 - or, broader wingspan in full extend than an F-15C, by a meter or so, but shorter by 5 m
Outside of that they do tend to be comparable in size to the 14/15/22 complex, which tbf are pretty big (The Flanker family is bigger, though)
Depends what VF-1 you are looking at :science:. The VF-1D and VT-1 have an extra seat so they're a smidge longer. Compared to basically anything other than the aforementioned planes they're big as heck though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

Still puttering away on the Bluenose. The rigging is progressing well and all the flags are aloft. Still lots to do, but I get the sense that what is ahead is less than what has been done.

That's a lot of signal flags. How confused is everyone around that ship trying to figure that stuff out? :v:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

That's a lot of signal flags. How confused is everyone around that ship trying to figure that stuff out? :v:

I'm not confused at all, but look up thread for alternative views!

I'm debating pulling down the signal flags from the main mast as while they do spell a message, they're intended to be something akin to dressing the ship rather than an actual signal. I was thinking about hanging the chain off of the fore gaff or some other place. Not quite sure just yet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

I'm not confused at all, but look up thread for alternative views!

I'm debating pulling down the signal flags from the main mast as while they do spell a message, they're intended to be something akin to dressing the ship rather than an actual signal. I was thinking about hanging the chain off of the fore gaff or some other place. Not quite sure just yet.

I was just pulling your chain a bit, I didn't even try to look them up. If you think they look good, that's really all that matters, as you are making it for you!

Ship is coming along nicely. I'm unsure what the completed rigging on the Bluenose looks like, how long you figure you have left until completion on this one?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Locator posted:

II'm unsure what the completed rigging on the Bluenose looks like,

here's an historical document:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

I was just pulling your chain a bit, I didn't even try to look them up. If you think they look good, that's really all that matters, as you are making it for you!

Ship is coming along nicely. I'm unsure what the completed rigging on the Bluenose looks like, how long you figure you have left until completion on this one?

They spell "child of the wind and tide," a reference to a Stan Rogers song about the Bluenose. I think they look ok where they are, and I know that if I was the crew member in charge of putting some bunting aloft to dress the ship, I would use the existing flag halyards rather than get creative... but I've seen some pictures that suggest that the crew did indeed get creative from time to time in that regard. In terms of what is left, I've got some standing rigging and a few halyards to do before it is time to do the shrouds... and then she's done. I had been thinking that she might be done by around October-November, but at the rate that I have been tearing through the rigging I think I might be done by the end of August, and then it will come down to mounting the model for display in a case, mainly to keep the dust off of her.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
When you dress ship with signal flags they are usually run between the masts. It's a traditional sort of thing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Polikarpov posted:

When you dress ship with signal flags they are usually run between the masts. It's a traditional sort of thing.

I get that. The surviving photos of Bluenose show that the crew didn't give many shits about tradition-- they flew flags on the wrong halyards and dressed the ship in a similarly haphazard manner so it's kind of hard to say what is really "correct."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

Depends what VF-1 you are looking at :science:. The VF-1D and VT-1 have an extra seat so they're a smidge longer. Compared to basically anything other than the aforementioned planes they're big as heck though.

Here's a VF-25 kit in 1/100 that would be good masking practice for putting down trim and details with an airbrush before moving on to bigger jets. At 1/100 only about 4" long and should go for about $20 in the US.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10140972

I did this kit, no paint, just decals a couple of years ago as a birthday present. It was laaaaaate. I've got a VF-29 in the same scale, I'm planning to invert the stickers and use the framing bits as my masking lines

All love to the VF-1 for starting it all, but drat the VF-25 looks good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They've managed to literally never have a bad "hero" plane in the entire series. It's pretty impressive for something running since the early 80's. I have a bunch of kits floating around at home, but mostly old Battroid or Gerwalk mode VF-1s or Destroids painted as Battletech units. At some point space became an issue even at 1/144.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I did some thinking on how the signal flags looked and decided to pull them down and move them around into a different location, now attached to the jib halyards.

Much happier with them here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

Much happier with them here.

I think they look better there also!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

I think they look better there also!

Thanks. The mast really hid them from view and this essentially meant that I could only display the model from one side and have them visible... and there was a significant amount of effort that went into making them, so I wanted them to be seen!

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Ive been thinking about getting into this for some time, i mainly like ww2 planes, but im a complete noob in general. How good/bad of an idea is it to get one of those cheap airbrush combos from amazon? Maybe a cheap kit to ruin/get some practice on?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

PacoPepe posted:

Ive been thinking about getting into this for some time, i mainly like ww2 planes, but im a complete noob in general. How good/bad of an idea is it to get one of those cheap airbrush combos from amazon? Maybe a cheap kit to ruin/get some practice on?

Most people start off with those cheap airbrushing kits. Just make sure you get a compressor with a tank and a double action gravity feed airbrush.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PacoPepe posted:

Seconding that. You probably want a Badger P105 as a rock-solid double-action airbrush, a Master Airbrush Model TC-40T compressor with tank, and a "Master Airbrush Brand Airbrush Fitting Conversion Adapter for Badger" quick-release adapter. That'll go about $250 plus paints, and you'll want a good supply of alligator clips with long handles for holding parts while spraying and drying. A spray hood with lights and fan is another $150 that you can kinda skimp on in a well-ventilated area with a fan pointing at a window; but do not skimp on a mask !

You want a 3M 6000 series half-mask and a set of 6006 organic solvent-rated filters. Eye protection is also mandatory, I'll sub my reading glasses in when painting, but I use proper safety glasses with closed sides for primer and finish.

For paint, I'm going with acrylics so I started with a set of US Art Supply Airbrush Colors. That got me 24 colors across the spectrum as a starter, and then I added a couple of Tamiya Model Air sets; a Soviet air force set for the IL-2 I'm sanding down right now, and their bigger Luftwaffe set for miscellaneous greys and tans, plus loose Tamiya paints from various vendors. ScaleHobbyist.com has a good supply, and has been restocking sold out items. The US Art Supply paints definitely require two coats, the Tamiya paints cover much better. I'd say skip the one and go with Tamiya all the way, even if you have to pick out primary colors individually. Then you want primer and a clear coat; medium grey is a good general purpose primer color, but black and white have their place - do not attempt a white subject over grey or black primer, just don't.

Again, do not skimp on the mask. Acrylics aren't toxic but you still don't want them in your lungs. If you're doing enamels or lacquers, go large on the vent hood.

After that, check out some youtube videos, and do some practice drills on cardboard before inflicting your noobitude on a model.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to second the whole airbrushing of enamels or lacquers thing. Do not gently caress around with that as a newcomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In fact, start by airbrushing watercolors! :kheldragar: