Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Well, drat and blast.

Who listens to shop manual advice and doesn't let their calipers swing free, as nature intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually ziptie them to something to keep from tearing the hose.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

I usually ziptie them to something to keep from tearing the hose.

Look at Mr. Cautious who doesn't just hook a lip onto the spring perch and hope it doesn't fall. And it always falls.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey the steel braid on upgraded brake lines are structural right?

I've got some metal wire that I hang my calipers on. You could easily make one with a coat hanger.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Hey the steel braid on upgraded brake lines are structural right?

I've got some metal wire that I hang my calipers on. You could easily make one with a coat hanger.

I use a couple of big S-hooks. One that I made from 1/8" steel rod, and one that fell off a car in front of me on a back road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have an old USB cable. It's not very good (hard to tie), but what I had on hand at the time and just kept it in the tool box.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I usually test physics and gravity on how to balance it on the knuckle. It is a good mental exercise.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I once received some photos from a dealership (they were doing the brakes on my mate's crazy ex's Opel) and the calipers were just hanging freely from the hoses.

Man... that Opel Corsa easily cost her the same again in maintenance. When you just blindly take your car to the dealership for every squeek...

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Any thoughts or recommendations for a decent folding engine crane?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not Harbor Freight. While it doesn't seem shittily built, it's shittily designed. The boom arm isn't nearly long enough or rated for enough weight. I couldn't even reach the hoist points on a Miata.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My harbor freight hoist is going on 9 years. It needed a new ram at one point from me leaving it outside for 5 years and the piston rusting, but otherwise it's been fine.

A gantry and a chainfall is the pro move though. Expensive, but great.

As for hanging calipers, well, I self sabotage in enough ways, I don't need to add having to order new hoses and wait instead of getting to drive my car to the list.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't even let my calipers hang from stainless steel braided lines, although maybe it doesn't matter for those. Just feels wrong.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't even let my calipers hang from stainless steel braided lines, although maybe it doesn't matter for those. Just feels wrong.
It matters. They're certainly stronger than non-SS lines, but they're still not designed for that.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

meatpimp posted:

It's okay, I hear that Home Depot is selling replacements.

And when I try and use these things as mobile sitting buckets they fold and collapse under me! I literally only weigh like 3000lbs I've been eating salads

Habor freight hoists: I got a 2-ton one for all the heavy lifting in the garage (currently just 700lbs ish stuff) but while putting it together I wasn't super impressed with it. Either way my advice with hoists is not only a good brand, but also make sure the leg length/width will work for you. These things are super utilitarian and you kinda need that info rather than just the max weight/length arm kinda stats so you know itll work for you in the way you intend to use it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Useful video I ran across if you wanna test car audio or other automotive stuff at decently high currents before installing...

...or just want to put 700W of car audio poo poo currently in the garage in your home theater setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IX3euYOb5E

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
There are also Dell Optiplex 12v 18A desktop adapters if you don't need that much power. Search eBay for Dell DA-2. Pretty sweet for $20. No need for a loud supply when a desktop adapters will do (silently).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I recently inherited some tools from my wife's grandfather, who passed away earlier this year. Among them is an in-box 3 gallon Craftsman air compressor. Having never owned an air compressor before (never really needed one), I understand that this is smaller but is it OK for small jobs? If I buy an air ratchet and impact will they be useless?

I don't think he ever bought any tools for it. I never saw any.

I also got a bunch of wood tools (what he mostly did) - a Skil saw, a router/shaper table, a handheld router, a bunch of other stuff, and a pretty sweet 15 inch drill press.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Basically all it will do is drive a nail gun.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For something like an impact gun or air ratchet, you want a minimum, of something like 20 gallon, and even by all accounts I've read, thats borderline.
Its probably good for small stuff like nailers, and staplers, pumping up tires etc, but anything that is going to be running for any length of time, needs a bigger tank.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Eh, my dad has ~5 gal and I've used it to run an impact to take off wheels. It would run after every wheel, but I'd put up for it for occasional work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It'll be fine unless you're trying to do pretty big jobs or undo really really really stubborn fasteners. I built most of a roof with a 1 gallon compressor and the rest with a 4.5 gallon.

How many CFM is it? Small tank low CFM won't get you anywhere, but larger tank or more CFM will compensate for each other to some degree. My 4.5 gallon is 5.2cfm at 90psi, probably more than your craftsman but not truly needed. Remember you can always add another tank onto the output line with a tee fitting so you have more buffer before the compressor has to keep up with your shenanigans, and the cheapest way to do so is to buy someone's busted compressor on Craigslist for pennies on the dollar and rip the compressor off.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Unless you plan on joining a pit crew, that compressor will be fine. It should have enough air to take off five properly torqued lug nuts and will then run while you stroll over to the next wheel or change sockets for the next step.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The right size compressor is a bigger one than you have. Unless you have to haul it upstairs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, I have a 40 gallon, but to take off a few bolts I can't get with the ratchet or whatever the little pancake's fine, it gives you 100% torque for a few braps with the impact, which is all you need to spin off the odd random bolt/nut, I'll finish up with my electric hex drive impact if there's a lot of unthreading to do. Maybe one day I'll have a fuckton of bolts to drive and I'll hook my big 1100ft/lb air impact to my 40 gallon, who knows.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

High SCFM takes away massively the need for a big tank. Get something 10-20CFM and they generally have fairly small tanks for a reason, they're just not needed.

I'm trolling my local kijiji/craigs for around 20SCFM gas compressors for blowing out irrigation, and they all have small tanks but produce an absolute gently caress-ton of air.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 17, 2020

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

It'll be fine unless you're trying to do pretty big jobs or undo really really really stubborn fasteners. I built most of a roof with a 1 gallon compressor and the rest with a 4.5 gallon.

How many CFM is it?

The box says 2.4 SCFM at 90psi, max 125psi. That doesn't sound like a lot.

I guess I can borrow some air tools and see how worthless it is before I spend my own money on stuff. I don't really want a bigger compressor 'cause I don't have room for one, and I've gone this long without it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

High SCFM takes away massively the need for a big tank. Get something 10-20CFM and they generally have fairly small tanks for a reason, they're just not needed.

I'm trolling my local kijiji/craigs for around 20SCFM gas compressors for blowing out irrigation, and they all have small tanks but produce an absolute gently caress-ton of air.

Most compressors like that don't have a tank at all. We used Kaeser and ConX 40CFM screw compressors, both gas-engine powered. No tanks built in, but they made a ton of air. They're loud as hell though.

I'm pretty happy with my 80 gallon IR 5hp. Big enough for everything except continuous grinding/blasting, reasonably quiet, and easily repaired. But then again, I've got a forklift for moving it. My little California aluminum twin stack gets a lot more use.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would love a 40 CFM screw compressor!

I'm actually looking at a 10HP honda GX powered 20CFM wheelbarrow compressor for the job... they still go for $2K+ new but I think I can score one used for closer to $700.

Those even bigger trailer ones would be ultimate though, but that's not quite an investment I'm looking to make for this.

Imho, a 5HP electric with a big tank for shop use is plenty fine.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Gotta troll craigslist for a used screw comp, Best thing I ever did. I was so loving tired of listening to the old piston compressor. Can't even tell when the screw kicks on.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I bought a old Champion from 1948 years ago, it's so drat quiet. Quieter than the IR screw we had at my old job. It's 20CFM and 80gal. I've got two general recommendations for my friends now. 1) Under 30 gal - buy a california air tools, everyone loves them due to low noise. 2) 30 or above, buy a decent oil-lubed pump. And if you're going above 60, get a 2 stage pump.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This all reminds me I need to put together my EJ25D air compressor at some point just to see if it works.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Will you plumb the line to the tank from the spark plugs or cooling system?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

monsterzero posted:

Jesus Christ :v:

My plan was intake to both intake and exhaust manifolds, one-way valves in the plug holes, and retime the exhaust cams to open during what would normally be the power stroke. Boom, two-stroke water cooled 2.5L displacement compressor head for $180ish if you buy a junkyard block and McMaster valves.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

monsterzero posted:

:piss:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend me a universal battery charger/reconditioner? Ive got a HF bulking charger that’ll do 10 amp fast charge, but as I recently discovered it won’t do a dead battery. So I went to Menards and bought what I thought was a decent diehard that’ll do a 50 amp jump start and I thought de-sulfate the battery. Turns out it’ll power it up, but then eventually shut down, so I had to switch to the HF smart charger to recondition the battery. Already spent over sixty bucks on the drat thing, tempted to box it back up and return it for something better that’ll charge from dead, has jump start capability, and recondition a battery. Any recommendations?

Used to have a HF float charger for charging from dead, but forgot that was why I had it and chucked it after one of the 24 gauge cables snapped.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Been real happy with the Ctek 4.3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GODGN9E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's easily paid for itself bringing back three really f'd batteries. Put it in "recovery" mode and just walk away for a day or so.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

monsterzero posted:

:perfect:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

monsterzero posted:

:golfclap:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Been real happy with the Ctek 4.3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GODGN9E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's easily paid for itself bringing back three really f'd batteries. Put it in "recovery" mode and just walk away for a day or so.

Awesome, thanks man! Just ordered one. Sick of buying these smart chargers that aren’t smart enough to charge a neglected battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I see a few pages back "igaging" as a brand of calipers talked about. I need basic "non-$100+-mitutoyo" digital calipers to measure things an inch or two in id/od. (I don't need these, I can get close enough with a tape measure but why waste a good flimsy excuse right?) Are these "the ones"?

https://smile.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00K3PZXMW/