Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Patware posted:

i forgot what this tree was

It had the magic ability to tell you whatever would make things the worst for you because it knows the knowledge will force you to do something terrible. Which sounds interesting but in practice was mostly, IIRC, the tree telling him that Denna's patron physically abuses her. So he charges off to rescue her and then immediately get distracted into having endless sex and basically forgetting all about it.

Honestly it probably would have been more effective if it had told him that Denna's patron is a C-whatever.

Or maybe not, considering how much progress Kvothe has made so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Even as a dumb teenager reading these books I got frustrated by how little the Chandrian appeared.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We've seen them twice in two books. How much more do you guys need! Now the fact that the soon-to-be-dead king hasn't made an appearance...that's weird.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We've seen them twice in two books. How much more do you guys need! Now the fact that the soon-to-be-dead king hasn't made an appearance...that's weird.

Seemed pretty clear that Ambrose is going to be that king, what with the asides showing him moving closer to the throne each time a relative died.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, gonna be Sim. He's a poet, in line to the thrown, and it's exactly the kind of stupid "twist" Rothfuss would think was clever.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If it's twist, I'm thinking Ambrose will get up to second in line and make some sort of deal with Kvothe for him to kill the king. Probably related to Denna and/or the Chandrian.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Reddit is sad, there are all these posts with long intricate theories about stuff that the author is clearly going to jettison or just forget about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

No, he was already the best at gently caress before he met the goddess, he was so amazing he was the only person who didn't die from her loving and she didn't believe he was a virgin because he was just that amazing

Even if every other flaw (and there are countless) didn't exist, the Felurian wish-fulfillment insanity is reason enough to dismiss Rothfuss as an overhyped hack.

Then he goes and one-ups himself with a matriarchal society of sex ninjas who somehow don't know how babies are made or have even the most basic grasp of genetics despite it being something humanity figured out when they started domestically breeding animals.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Kchama posted:

It had the magic ability to tell you whatever would make things the worst for you because it knows the knowledge will force you to do something terrible. Which sounds interesting but in practice was mostly, IIRC, the tree telling him that Denna's patron physically abuses her. So he charges off to rescue her and then immediately get distracted into having endless sex and basically forgetting all about it.

Honestly it probably would have been more effective if it had told him that Denna's patron is a C-whatever.

Or maybe not, considering how much progress Kvothe has made so far.

The hate tree isn't ruining Kvothe's life. It's ruining the readers life. It's telling you that pursuing your goals is pointless because you aren't good enough to achieve them if you read this book. And it thinks your a sex predator, too.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
To be perfectly honest with you all, I don't even remember who Ambrose is. It's been so long.

Rothfuss is in a troubled spot now. If he doesn't release a book, it can't be bad, but it doesn't look good for him to have had an extended period of time where all the conventions were cancelled and he could work on it only to still not produce anything. On the other hand, if he does release a book, it'll almost assuredly be bad. It's a Catch 22.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Daric posted:

To be perfectly honest with you all, I don't even remember who Ambrose is. It's been so long.

Rothfuss is in a troubled spot now. If he doesn't release a book, it can't be bad, but it doesn't look good for him to have had an extended period of time where all the conventions were cancelled and he could work on it only to still not produce anything. On the other hand, if he does release a book, it'll almost assuredly be bad. It's a Catch 22.

He's the Draco Malfoy knockoff who is the 25-something dude who keeps getting into middle school bullying matches with a 15 year old.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Daric posted:

imo the only way the book is coming out is if it's ghostwritten. Though Rothfuss wouldn't agree to that unless it was under extraordinary circumstances.

The only way that the book will be written is if the publisher finally puts their foot down. The chances of this are higher since the tv/movie stuff probably isn't going anywhere any time soon. However it's still not very likely...after all why would they since there's no pressure to publish? No demand since Rothfuss's fans are happy to hurry up and wait and the first two books still sell just fine.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
What does someone like Rothfuss do for income? Surely the few books he's published can't be keeping him afloat? Is it all reprints and new editions? How does it work?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The only way the TV show would be good is if they treated it like the Sword of Truth show.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Horizon Burning posted:

What does someone like Rothfuss do for income? Surely the few books he's published can't be keeping him afloat? Is it all reprints and new editions? How does it work?

I believe he teaches.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Those two books sold absurdly well, probably netting him a million apiece, plus he sold the right even if they haven't been developed into a show/movie yet. So he's fine as long as he invested wisely.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also he decorates his house with Cheerios boxes to keep expenses down.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ccs posted:

...wisely.

Hmmmm

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
He's a socially inept creep, not a moron. I'm sure his finances are fine.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
And up until this year, he attended every convention in the world where I'm sure he was paid a fee.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ccs posted:

So he's fine as long as he invested wisely.

He invested in GeekChic.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

He invested in GeekChic.

'wisely' was always going to be the word to do Rothfuss in.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

He's the Draco Malfoy knockoff who is the 25-something dude who keeps getting into middle school bullying matches with a 15 year old.

In his first interaction with Kvothe he's supposed to come off as a villain when in reality he's just not willing to put up with some random 15 year old kid's poo poo and then gets Kvothe banned from the library because Kvothe is a dumb 15 year old who started a pissing match with Ambrose.

Horizon Burning posted:

The books have sold millions of copies, giving him more money than he needs for the rest of his life. Plus whatever money he's gotten out of people for TV/Movie rights regardless of whether anything is created or not. He likely got millions for that since it was during peak GoT fever and there was no shortage of bad opinions about him being the nest GRRM (though in appearance and writing ethic I guess he is).

IIRC he poisons young minds as a professor as well.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
he really runs the nerd circuit yeah. do they get paid to appear on those cruises where they cram a bunch of dorks on a boat?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
IIRC he lost a ton of money on GeekChic, like almost 7 figures. It wasn't recoverable in the slightest either or like a debt transfer he poured his cash into the company and then whoops! bankruptcy.

Selling the rights might've been a windfall if there was a lot of buzz about being a GoT-like series. He probably makes easily 6 figures a year in actual income and if he's not buying $500 bottles of wine and wall mounted cereal dispensers he should be set for life.

Worst case scenario is he's facing poverty he finishes up his third book real quick, it sells millions of copies despite its quality, and he can start his "real" series which if it sells even decently is more then enough to live off.

I can't see his editor giving a gently caress. GRRM only got in trouble because he got so much money they basically demanded to see pages at one point.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

In his first interaction with Kvothe he's supposed to come off as a villain when in reality he's just not willing to put up with some random 15 year old kid's poo poo and then gets Kvothe banned from the library because Kvothe is a dumb 15 year old who started a pissing match with Ambrose.

Can't wait to see your Harvey Weinstein take.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

pentyne posted:

IIRC he lost a ton of money on GeekChic, like almost 7 figures. It wasn't recoverable in the slightest either or like a debt transfer he poured his cash into the company and then whoops! bankruptcy.

Selling the rights might've been a windfall if there was a lot of buzz about being a GoT-like series. He probably makes easily 6 figures a year in actual income and if he's not buying $500 bottles of wine and wall mounted cereal dispensers he should be set for life.

Worst case scenario is he's facing poverty he finishes up his third book real quick, it sells millions of copies despite its quality, and he can start his "real" series which if it sells even decently is more then enough to live off.

I can't see his editor giving a gently caress. GRRM only got in trouble because he got so much money they basically demanded to see pages at one point.

Why would he need to buy a $500 bottle of wine when you can get a great Beaujolais for $30? Come on Patrick

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ornamented Death posted:

I believe he teaches.

Again, where is his income coming from?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
According to his website bio he used to teach part-time at University of Wisconsin - Steven's Point, but gave that up after publishing. It's also one of the loving smuggest bios I think I have ever read while needlessly throwing shade on... chemical engineering... for whatever loving reason.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

According to his website bio he used to teach part-time at University of Wisconsin - Steven's Point, but gave that up after publishing. It's also one of the loving smuggest bios I think I have ever read while needlessly throwing shade on... chemical engineering... for whatever loving reason.

I mean, the books themselves constantly and smugly throw shade on poetry for the crime of not having music. He just likes smug, needless shade throwing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kchama posted:

I mean, the books themselves constantly and smugly throw shade on poetry for the crime of not having music. He just likes smug, needless shade throwing.

Which is doubly ironic because Rothfuss is neither a poet nor a musician himself and as seen in his writing, he knows almost nothing about music.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't forget the part in the books where Not-Rothfuss criticizes his any-resemblance-to-a-real-person-is-totally-coincidental University chemistry TA because of his perverse insistence on writing down the results of experiments instead of just mixing up magic potions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Donkey posted:

Don't forget the part in the books where Not-Rothfuss criticizes his any-resemblance-to-a-real-person-is-totally-coincidental University chemistry TA because of his perverse insistence on writing down the results of experiments instead of just mixing up magic potions.

gently caress this makes a lot more sense. Almost every cartoonishly evil/dumb/bad character in his books are just him getting petty revenge at people who slighted him in his life.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

gently caress this makes a lot more sense. Almost every cartoonishly evil/dumb/bad character in his books are just him getting petty revenge at people who slighted him in his life.

I mean the Magic College is literally just him being mad about his experiences in college, so yeah. Pretty much.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Donkey posted:

supposedly a loving adult posted:

And I learn some interesting things. I learn that the name “metheglin” comes from the old English term for medicine. Metheglin was mead with a bunch of herbs in it. Because, as you know, herbs are good for you.

But as I read more it all started sounding like a *huge* pain in the rear end. The books went on and on about about how I’m supposed to check the ph level and… I don’t know, hydroginize things or some poo poo like that.

What it sounds like is a lot of fiddly bullshit work to me, and that’s not what I signed up for. I wasn’t looking for a part time job. I didn’t want to babysit this goddamn thing for 6 months, petting it and taking its temperature and cooing sweet nothings in its ear.

No. I wanted to muck about with glass bottles and tubes for an afternoon. I wanted to make a potion. I wanted to do some goddamn mad science and then not think about it again until the stuff was ready to drink.

Then I thought to myself, “Self,” I thought. “This is bullshit. Vikings made this, and I guarantee that they did not own a hydrometer. They just thumped it together in a barrel and then drank it and pillaged some poo poo.”

So, figuring that while I wasn’t a chemical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, my understanding of organic chemistry was at least as good as a Viking’s.
https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/09/on-the-making-of-metheglin/

I think I know why he failed ChemEng

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like how his recipe is loving useless because he admits he didn't really follow it at all and would just throw random poo poo in and got lucky that the stone he threw in didn't poison him.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
That's such idiotic bullshit. This modern idea that our predecessors were morons who are incapable of doing more than rubbing rocks together is so infuriating. Does he think that people didn't have deep and rich knowledge pools of arts like brewing and just hoped it went right by the time we were crafting intricate and labor intensive longboats?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Patrick, if you wanna go do some "mad scientist poo poo" just go under your kitchen sink or in your laundry room and just mix random stuff from the bottles and containers you find in there. Preferably without your wife or child(ren?) home.

Parody, parody. Please don't mix random poo poo and then ingest it. One of the cool things about science and medicine is that they let us live longer and give us more time to appreciate art/music/lovely fantasy novels.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"everyone liked it! anyway i basically fermented lsd and absinthe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I hate to be all "classic Liberal arts major" but he really embodies the stereotypes that everyone hates about the literati type who scoff and mock the idea of 'rigid thinking' when it comes to any development process. Also the fantasy of pre-industrial societies as a bunch of morons who just slapped things together and everything always worked so who needs all this big brain notebook stuff?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 20, 2020