Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also Mario runs kinda slow in 64 but he's really fast in the air so you're subtly encouraged to spring around everywhere because you get around much faster when you long jump and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The weight to Mario's movements has always been slightly unappreciated imo. it would be potentially frustrating if it wasn't so well done, reckon it's most noticeable in SMB1 and 64 in a good way. He has momentum, there's a bit of commitment to each run and jump which could easily have made the controls v frustrating but doesn't

You take out the cartoony shuffling of feet as he starts to run and Mario 64 controls and movement would be brilliant for lots of other characters and games (may want to lower the height of his jumps as well). I remember playing the first Crackdown and thinking it was crazy they didn't give you a wall jump.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I super love the original NES Mario Brothers, Mario had weight and momentum as well

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It still blows my mind how well Nintendo nailed 3d platforming with their very first try when the medium was still in its infancy.

It's like a caveman painting the sistine chapel by accident

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In designing such intuitive movement, Shigeru Miyamoto drew heavily upon his childhood experiences triple-jumping and leaping up walls

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Miyamoto-san took heavy inspiration from the caves he would explore in his youth and the mushrooms and metal hats he found inside them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I bet he can move between parallel universes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kennel posted:

I bet he can move between parallel universes.

He just needs a big enough pipe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The botw team knew they had a hit in their hands when all Miyamoto did when presented with a sample build of the game was climb trees over and over

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

Miyamoto-san took heavy inspiration from the caves he would explore in his youth and the mushrooms and metal hats he found inside them.

Maybe he was simply popping mushrooms while listening to metal in a cave

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As long as we're talking about Super Mario 64, I think it had some of the most disconcertingly alien levels in the entire Mario series. Jolly Roger Bay had the big shipwreck and that creepily realistic eel. Hazy Maze Cave was this massive underground labyrinth with big bugs, poison gas, and a psychedelic soundtrack. Wet-Dry World was probably the weirdest: just a bunch of platforms and towers, a wooden bridge, a giant building, if you could even call it that, and an entire town just hidden away at the end of a tunnel. Even Big Boo's Haunt felt a bit scarier than the haunted locales in other Mario games thanks to the jagged 3D graphics, creepy soundtrack, and dark, unpleasant color palette. As graphics advanced more, they even made the scary bits feel a bit more at home, but I think that uncertain time where they were experimenting with 3D produced some of the most interestingly weird levels in the series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Things you can do in Ghost of Tsushima:

Pet a fox
Play your flute whenever you want
Realize doors are made of paper and lathe so you can just bust them down instead of opening them

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Ghost of Tsushima has a dedicated "Come at me, bro!" button

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Petit Gregory posted:

Ghost of Tsushima has a dedicated "Come at me, bro!" button

It also has a dedicated "Dramatically sheath your sword while your dispatched foe crumbles to the floor behind you" button.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another thing about Tsushima is that you have the ability to upgrade your armor, which changes how it looks but if you liked the older look better you can toggle it back.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Replaying a bunch of MGSV, I really appreciate its mechanics consistently being tuned to fun gameplay at the expense of realism. Like, big armored guy carrying a massive rocket launcher while riding a horse decked out in battle gear? Just lean away to the other side and enemies won't get too suspicious as long as you don't hang around.

e: basically this, in the service of fun gameplay

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Ghost of Tsushima if you move your stick back and forth while riding your horse it will do a little prance. You can also keep rubbing the hell out of your touchpad and make a constant windstorm like some kind of minor air god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCRgW_Azk4

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jul 19, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

In Ghost of Tsushima if you move your stick back and forth while riding your horse it will do a little prance. You can also keep rubbing the hell out of your touchpad and make a constant windstorm like some kind of minor air god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCRgW_Azk4

For a game I never heard of before yesterday, I'm really wanting to play it

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's a Kurosawa filter that makes everything black and white that I tried for a while but it makes the combat real rough and it doesn't get the saturation right so sometimes you'll just be talking to a blank white space. But when it works, it fuckin WORKS.

Edit: You can think about your dad in the bath.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Jul 19, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’m playing Desparados 3 and, just like in Shadow Tactics before it I love the Showdown mechanic. It lets you queue up actions for your team, and using it to take out four guards that were all looking at each other is just the bee’s knees.

After each mission there’s a replay of the map played back at x32 speed. It shows the positions of the enemies as well as the path each of your characters took and every non-movement action they perform. I love watching the moments where my characters are motionless because I’m planning and watching the timings of the enemies, then a flurry of pop ups appear to represent my execution. Very satisfying.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ghost of Tsushima is so pretty. I almost want to buy a PlayStation so I can just wander around and enjoy the sights.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Ghost of Tsushima also has a dedicated bowing button that generates appropriate reactions (NPCs will thank or otherwise respond to you sometimes, doing it near dead Japanese NPCs has the main character pray for them, etc.). Granted this can occasionally backfire, like the time I accidentally hit it while trying to sneak and the PC effectively stood up and politely thanked the Mongols for the brutal death they handed him in response to that little accidental swipe.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MadDogMike posted:

Ghost of Tsushima also has a dedicated bowing button that generates appropriate reactions (NPCs will thank or otherwise respond to you sometimes, doing it near dead Japanese NPCs has the main character pray for them, etc.). Granted this can occasionally backfire, like the time I accidentally hit it while trying to sneak and the PC effectively stood up and politely thanked the Mongols for the brutal death they handed him in response to that little accidental swipe.

It also summons a swarm of frogs in front of one of the shrines. Not entirely sure why, but it does.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Love that I can have a leisure stroll through a forest on horseback while playing my flute

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dewgy posted:

It also summons a swarm of frogs in front of one of the shrines. Not entirely sure why, but it does.

It's probably a mythological thing like such as a Yokai

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You also can flying squirrel leap off of your horse at any time with the jump button, and if you get enough air you can chain it right into an air-drop assassination.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FunnyJollyFoxStrawBeary

As this was my first stealth kill, I was admonished by my uncle for the crime of getting sick air

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Another thing about Tsushima is that you have the ability to upgrade your armor, which changes how it looks but if you liked the older look better you can toggle it back.

AC Odyssey does that too and its so good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I kind of love the insanely lovely hat that comes with the first tier of the ronin armor.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Push El Burrito posted:

Edit: You can think about your dad in the bath.

Wanna meet that dad!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm playing the original command and conquer for the first time in about 10 years now thanks to the remastered edition, and I really like the little things in the game that constantly remind you that this is an asymmetric conflict. it's not just that the brotherhood of nod has largely got to rely on smaller cheaper and weaker units, there's also the fact that a whole lot of their missions require completing the mission with limited numbers of units, straight up stealing GDI assets in order to win, or completing objectives that are less 'kill all of the enemy' and more 'massacre this villiage' or 'steal this nuke'.

It's ludonarrative harmony.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One little thing I like about Ghost of Tsushima is that when you’re clearing a Mongol encampment and you’ve taken out most of the enemies, you have the option to just shout at the remaining bad guys to come get you, so they all run to you instead of you having to run around the whole camp a dozen times looking for the last ones

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The best thing in Ghost of Tsushima is that the devs did their homework when it comes to the actual Japanese language, such as using different readings of kanji that are rare now but would have been considered the norm in 13th century Japan. Also even Japanese critics have been raving about how it feels like a Japanese story about Japan in the Kamakura-era as opposed to a hodgepodge of different unrelated Japanese eras and even other bits of Asia, which is a common complaint of stories about or set in Japan written by westerners. The game has the feel of a high quality Japanese drama.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One thing I found funny was the haikus. When I was in 3rd grade my teacher taught us about haikus, then read some from a book of famous haikus she had gotten from the library. After reading a few we started counting the syllables and realized that none of them were even close to 5/7/5. A few years later I realized they must have been translated from Japanese.

Ghost of Tsushima has the opposite problem. If you're using the Japanese audio track you'll see a line like "beneath the black depths" and then Jin will spit out like 12 syllables reading it. So I wonder if you're going to have some Japanese players saying "hey, what's the deal with these haikus?"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Don Gato posted:

The best thing in Ghost of Tsushima is that the devs did their homework when it comes to the actual Japanese language, such as using different readings of kanji that are rare now but would have been considered the norm in 13th century Japan. Also even Japanese critics have been raving about how it feels like a Japanese story about Japan in the Kamakura-era as opposed to a hodgepodge of different unrelated Japanese eras and even other bits of Asia, which is a common complaint of stories about or set in Japan written by westerners. The game has the feel of a high quality Japanese drama.

I always found it kind of funny seeing actual Japanese people playing Sekiro and struggling to read certain words and kanji in the game because many of them have become obsolete or obscure.

Also I saw a screenshot of that game's main menu and some of the Japanese in it looked like it was straight from google translate, wonder if that was a one-off thing or what.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Jul 21, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
More about Desperados 3: This one stands out because I was recently playing Commandos 2, which is something of a grandfather of this genre. In Commandos 2, you have 8 different characters who all have their barks, but once you’ve used them in a mission you’ve heard everything they say a dozen times. The diver, for instance, says “I’m fully qualified!” anytime you direct him to move or attack or pick up anything. It gets a little grating.

In Desperados 3, you have 5 characters but their barks change as the story goes. When the characters are hung over, all their lines change to reflect the extra effort it’s taking. My favorite is Kate, who can distract guards, saying “Do you mind if I lean on you?” to a goon. In that same mission you find that one of your party members was kicked in the face by a horse, and his portrait has a hoof print on it.

What I really came to mention was a little thing about the music. I’m in the New Orleans stage right now and the level has four or five distinct zones. A whorehouse, a pier, a marketplace, and a fancy restaurant. When you move the camera over any of these zones, the music shifts to a different arrangement of the stage’s theme. The restaurant uses strings while the pier has men whistling, and the marketplace is a lively bouncing tune. I haven’t noticed if this is in effect on other stages but there are some levels that are very obviously broken into distinct areas like New Orleans, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I recently picked up Red Dead Redemption 2 and spent a few hours playing poker. Like a lot of games like this there's some win and lose voice clips that add a little flavor and keep things from getting too repetitive. I'm not an amazing poker player, but I was on a pretty good streak with moderate betting and was going head to head with one other NPC. We kept raising the bet between the two of us so I assumed he must have had a pretty good hand. The final card is shown and I have a full house aces over jacks - pretty drat good. And he raises again. I have to call and see what he's got - Full house, Aces over 10s. And Morgan lets out this amazing "GE-HE-HAW-HAW-HAW" cackle that just broke me. Every other win or loss voice clip has been this subdued "Yeah, alright" or "Darn it" or slightly boastful of a low stakes poker hand "Yep, that's how ya play". But this was just a manic explosion of happiness from the normally dour Arthur Morgan.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You both had aces over?

e: oh right, I see, I'm dumb

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think RDR2 is the only game I ever played where the AI will both bluff and call you out on your bullshit pretty often, making it my favorite poker implementation on a video game.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I think RDR2 is the only game I ever played where the AI will both bluff and call you out on your bullshit pretty often, making it my favorite poker implementation on a video game.

Also starting a gun fight because you're wrecking them in poker feels pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The trike in death stranding feels extremely good to drive, I’ve used it for an hour or two and this is really one of the best-feeling vehicles I’ve used in any game

Because I don’t feel like making another post in the sister thread about it, it’s very lame that you have to get off of the trike to pick up loot next to you and then get back on, which I feel is a problem a lot of games have. what are games that actually let you interact with things near your vehicle without having to exit it over and over?