Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

PhazonLink posted:

is there a pattern to the accounts affected, i'm seeing some posts (here, nother thread) that it's just famous people and no electected officials, but that post just mentioned AOC,

Correction, AOC's account did not send out scam tweets. She sent out a tweet warning her followers of suspicious tweets:
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1283513914597298178?s=19

Man I would be such a crappy journalist

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
https://twitter.com/chubbyemu/status/1283513730349891584?s=19

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Really it's pretty lucky that whoever did this only tried to pull off a pretty obvious Bitcoin scam. Something more sophisticated and organised could have had really big repercussions.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Senor Tron posted:

Really it's pretty lucky that whoever did this only tried to pull off a pretty obvious Bitcoin scam. Something more sophisticated and organised could have had really big repercussions.

if you think no one sent anything lmao

quote:

In the short time it was online, the link displayed in the tweets of targeted accounts received hundreds of contributions totalling more than $100,000 (£80,000), according to publicly available blockchain records.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

saw a thing on reddit explaining that tomorrow Twitter is rolling out a backend change, and speculation is that the hastiness / limited scope of this attack was because they had a limited time to execute before the exploit was closed.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

saw a thing on reddit explaining that tomorrow Twitter is rolling out a backend change, and speculation is that the hastiness / limited scope of this attack was because they had a limited time to execute before the exploit was closed.

drat, that lends even more credence to this being someone with inside knowledge.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Bitcoin scam is probably the distraction, not the objective.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

adoration for none posted:

drat, that lends even more credence to this being someone with inside knowledge.
Wouldn't anyone with that level of access/knowledge already be paid enough that $100k in bitcoins isn't worth it?

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Mr Chips posted:

Wouldn't anyone with that level of access/knowledge already be paid enough that $100k in bitcoins isn't worth it?

Yes, 100k would be less than the quarterly vesting of a RSU (stock) grant that happens 4 times a year on top of the good salary and bonus.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

if you think no one sent anything lmao

Yeah, but the only people who would have been caught by it would be those gullible to have lots of money in Bitcoin that they throw around. With this many big names they could have pulled off some really sophisticated manipulation, which makes me wonder what they had in mind before those upcoming changes apparently played their hand.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, but the only people who would have been caught by it would be those gullible to have lots of money in Bitcoin that they throw around.

The Venn diagram of “bitcoin users” and “people who make dumb financial decisions” may not be a circle, but it’s drat close.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Baronash posted:

The Venn diagram of “bitcoin users” and “people who make dumb financial decisions” may not be a circle, but it’s drat close.

what's the intersection of those sets with the set of Musk fans?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

gonger posted:

Yes, 100k would be less than the quarterly vesting of a RSU (stock) grant that happens 4 times a year on top of the good salary and bonus.

I don't think you realize who has access to these systems.

The people getting six figure quarterly stock payouts are mostly management, along with a few very high-level software developers. They might theoretically have access to account management tools, but they'd never stoop to actually using them in production to resolve a customer saying "please reset my email address," any more than a retail district manager would tell a customer where to find raisin bran.

The people who are actually using the "reset a user's email/password" tools are low-level staff - probably contractors, who take home mid-five-figure salaries and have very limited benefits. There's also a ton of turnover at that level, so anyone who knows a bit about the system and a few employee personal details can call up the internal helpdesk and get access through social engineering.

In most organizations, the security- and business-critical work isn't done by the highest-paid, most-trusted people. They focus on more important things, like playing office politics or messing around with pet projects. The little people are the ones who have access to everything and keep the business going.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Senor Tron posted:

Short sell some stocks
Hack into CEO's' twitter and post racial slurs
???
Profit

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

what's the intersection of those sets with the set of Musk fans?

thats a hyper shpere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Holy gently caress, a doubling scam? What is Twitter, Jita 4-4?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Holy gently caress, a doubling scam? What is Twitter, Jita 4-4?

Everything I need to know about to survive in life, I learned from goons.

wtf

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Phenomenal cosmic social engineering, itty bitty aspirations.

[ASK] Me about burning my secret spy identity to steal Putin’s commemorative plate collection.

E: Zero day exploit in corporate scanner firmware used to embed Ebaumsworld logo into bottom corner of scanned documents.

Ok I’m done now.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sundae posted:

Phenomenal cosmic social engineering, itty bitty aspirations.

[ASK] Me about burning my secret spy identity to steal Putin’s commemorative plate collection.

E: Zero day exploit in corporate scanner firmware used to embed Ebaumsworld logo into bottom corner of scanned documents.

Ok I’m done now.

It could've been a cover for the "real" work they were doing.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
GPT-3 poems about musk, in the style of Dr Seuss:
https://arr.am/2020/07/14/elon-musk-by-dr-seuss-gpt-3/

quote:

But then, in his haste,
he got into a fight.
He had some emails that he sent
that weren’t quite polite.

The SEC said, “Musk,
your tweets are a blight.
They really could cost you your job,
if you don’t stop
all this tweeting at night.”

He replied, “Well, I do tweet
and it’s really quite neat.
and I’ll tweet in a while
and send you some sweet treats.”

But the SEC said, “Nay,
You can’t tweet anymore.
We’ll see you in court,
and you’ll pay a fine,
for the tweets that you wrote.”

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Have used it, can confirm it delivers everything you've heard about it. Both results and side effects.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The willingness to take drugs for ostensibly cosmetic purposes despite horrific side effects is bizarre to me. Propecia is an especially weird one for me; who would look at the side effects, including decreased sex drive and erectile dysfunction, and decide "hmm, yes, having hair is better than reliable orgasms!"?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean goons aren’t having those anyway, so it’s all upside.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PT6A posted:

The willingness to take drugs for ostensibly cosmetic purposes despite horrific side effects is bizarre to me. Propecia is an especially weird one for me; who would look at the side effects, including decreased sex drive and erectile dysfunction, and decide "hmm, yes, having hair is better than reliable orgasms!"?

"Cosmetic" reasons are real reasons. If you wake up in the morning and see a person in the mirror who you don't like, what are you supposed to do?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

PT6A posted:

Ironically the hair regrowth is the real side effect, whereas the side effects are the direct effects of lowering your testosterone with a DHT blocker like Propecia.

And also the desired effect for some people.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PT6A posted:

MickeyFinn posted:

"Cosmetic" reasons are real reasons. If you wake up in the morning and see a person in the mirror who you don't like, what are you supposed to do?

this is the truth. I started balding at 19 and shaving my head at 25.

it is fairly obscene the amount of money I would gladly pay to be able to permanently restore my natural hair growth to what it was at 17-18 with zero side effects, so I can absolutely understand someone willing to endure some sort of adverse effect in order to get part or all of the way there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Cosmetic effects are hugely important in basically all facets of life, including employment, so it's not strange at all that people will risk a variety of side effects for them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PT6A posted:

I have several times since starting hormones recently asked "why am I doing this to myself"

The answer always comes back to me. Not doing it is worse, even with all of the horrible stigma that comes with it.

I'm sure that there are for some people taking hair treatments is simple vanity they can take or leave, but I imagine a lot more feel the pain of something being wrong and needing help, even if it manifests differently.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeppaPigTD/status/1285006394467454980

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PT6A posted:

Anticheese posted:

I have several times since starting hormones recently asked "why am I doing this to myself"

The answer always comes back to me. Not doing it is worse, even with all of the horrible stigma that comes with it.

I'm sure that there are for some people taking hair treatments is simple vanity they can take or leave, but I imagine a lot more feel the pain of something being wrong and needing help, even if it manifests differently.

You can crush finasteride/propecia up into powder and dissolve it in minoxidil, a liquid hair growth drug with no hormonal effects, and the end result is you get the same effect as taking pills with a small fraction of the normal hormonal effect, which anyways is only marginally different than placebo at least according to the FDA study it was approved under. That combo will freeze your hairline in place for a long time, and there are lots of vain, sad middle aged dudes out there who will do it. Seems ill advised to take the pills orally in any circumstance though

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 20, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I dunno, I'm balding right now, and it's like "oh well, I guess this is me, I get to make bald spot jokes now!" and under no circumstances would I accept any threat, however slight, to the functionality of my dick and balls. It's, uh, just not that much of a deal, who really gives a poo poo? The only bald people I've seen get laughed at are the ones with absolutely absurd combovers who can't accept that they ain't got hair anymore.

This obviously does not apply to people taking the drug for BPH or due to gender dysphoria, both of which are medical conditions several orders of magnitude more serious than not having hair.

EDIT: Although, to be fair, I do have a somewhat visible disability not related to my hair, so I guess I have a head-start on not giving a gently caress what people think about visible but insignificant things, and that might be something that's new to a lot of people who are going bald.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 20, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've been bald for 25 years now. When it started in my teens, I wore hats and bandannas everywhere.

Now I love it. I don't have to worry about bad hair days, or dandruff, or rain or wind messing up my hair. It's a huge saving on time and bother.

I just run an electric head shaver over my scalp twice a week and get on with my life.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Some people care about some things more than other things and other people care about other things more than some things. Neither side is wrong unless they’re saying the other side is wrong.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Baldness is worse for some people because they have weird shaped heads or ears that hair covers up

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been bald for 25 years now. When it started in my teens, I wore hats and bandannas everywhere.

Now I love it. I don't have to worry about bad hair days, or dandruff, or rain or wind messing up my hair. It's a huge saving on time and bother.

I just run an electric head shaver over my scalp twice a week and get on with my life.

So as a teenager you were upset at looking like a middle aged man, but as a middle aged man you are okay with looking like a middle aged man.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh, I absolutely freaked out when it first started happening. But, in the early 90s, the only white guys with shaved/bald heads were nazis.

Now it's perfectly acceptable to have a shaved head.

I'm not going to deny anyone's experiences, because I went through it myself (and likely looked a complete idiot when I wore bandannas even while swimming), I'm just trying to say you can get through it and, once on the other side, even make peace with it or even enjoy it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So growing up I had red hair, and it stands out and people kind of tie it to your identity, especially if you're a guy.
Then when I got cancer and all my hair fell out and what little hair I did have (for my wedding, no less) was this translucent blonde color it was a really jarring experience.
Now it's sorta grown back much thinner and with a course scraggly texture but close to the original color and I still have trouble accepting this is how I look now. It also doesn't help that because of cancer putting me in a high risk group and covid providing the risk I haven't had a cut in months so my hairstyle is some weird hybrid mountain-man comb-over look.
And not to call out the posters above but just because it's "purely cosmetic" doesn't mean it's not important. Froze my sperm from before because of cancer so it's not like I need my dick for anything other than precise pissing, so I'll try some pills. I'm just worried to bother my doctor because (and not to call them out because It's a toxic masculinity don't bother other people with your emotional problems issue that's obviously ingrained in me too) hair loss, compared to everything else thus far, is basically a non issue and one that many guys go through. Also, lol at the cost.

Anyways that's my EN post about hair loss and Identity, for more see my TED Talk: Burnt Matches, surviving hair loss in the age of social media.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 20, 2020

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But, in the early 90s, the only white guys with shaved/bald heads were nazis.

pure drivel

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In my part of the world, it really wasn't.

You might be familiar with the shaved head documentary, Romper Stomper? Because that's how people looked at you if you had a shaved head and didn't look like a chemotherapy survivor*.

Hell, I lived just a few blocks from a house full of them and walked home every day from the tram stop along streets with swastikas and nazi and racist slogans spray painted on them.

If you lived in Australia, this murderous evil fucker, Dane Sweetman (who inspired Romper Stomper for murdering another neonazi with an axe during a party to commemorate Hitler's birthday, I poo poo you not), is what came to mind when you thought of bald or shaved-headed men.

* EDIT: Or were literally Peter Garrett.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

At least when I took accutane the side effects weren't well known.