Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nah, hell girl season 4 was just more of the same episodic stuff as other seasons started with, but it was 6 new episodes followed by 6 from the previous 3 seasons and then it ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lol

in retrospect i realize that himegami introducing herself with "ippen shinde—" in one of the index specials was not just a reference but also a seiyuu joke

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Julias posted:

Nah, I get the concerns, but at the same time it's 1) a fictional narrative 2) an old story by an old mangaka 3) the setting is in ancient japan 4) whether you consider it child grooming or not is really a matter of degrees based on viewer interpretation.

Well, I guess compared to Usagi Drop it isn't nearly as bad, especially if that Drama CD isn't canon (it's not in my mind).

I'm sorry for wasting the threads time to rant about anime

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Please continue to rant about anime.

Let me join in:
There are way too few anime whose characters and focus are on the 20-35 age range and its a shame.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the drama cd was written by the guy who came up with the concept for the new series, is how i've heard it (hearsay from jp twitter)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Space Flower posted:

the drama cd was written by the guy who came up with the concept for the new series, is how i've heard it (hearsay from jp twitter)

the same guy also wrote gundam wing: frozen teardrop, and is responsible for making the characters in inuyasha much more dickish than they were in the manga

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have no idea how much into specifics drama cd gets, but my opinion on just "dog god spirit rescues girl, when she grows up they do the happily ever after" is "it's dumb mythology bullshit"

it's crap you could probably lift from a thousand different fairy tale/mythology collections around the world :v:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

zeus is CANCELLED

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Well, I guess compared to Usagi Drop it isn't nearly as bad, especially if that Drama CD isn't canon (it's not in my mind).

I'm sorry for wasting the threads time to rant about anime

it's the chat thread, it's the perfect place to talk about it

assuming that they get together, we've yet to see just how that happens or how the relationship evolves before the two kids are born.

Maybe it's a "how I met your mother" type deal where we never really know who the mom is, but we got some great candidates, and maybe they downplay any hints or evidence of grooming. Who knows? I think it's worth giving a chance for now.

My guess is that it'll be handled a lot like how Sakura's mom was handled in CCS. There's a lot of focus on the mom, but not a lot about the relationship between the mom and dad (I only watched part of the first season, maybe it got fleshed out more). Much of it seems to be inferred. Makes sense, because she was married at 16 and had her son at 17, so it seems like it would not be easy to write about. CCS is still a groundbreaking kid-appropriate show, regardless of that one thing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The anti-Rowling is here to retroactively add problematic content to things

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Willo567 posted:

the same guy also wrote gundam wing: frozen teardrop, and is responsible for making the characters in inuyasha much more dickish than they were in the manga

i didn't watch(edit:read) frozen teardrop but that is a unique way to describe the main writer for all of Wing

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Space Flower posted:

i didn't watch(edit:read) frozen teardrop but that is a unique way to describe the main writer for all of Wing

I can give a few great examples of where this is seen in the anime vs the manga

-After Sango reveals what the Sacred Jewel really is in the manga, Inuyasha declares he'll stop the jewel from returning things to evil. In the anime, he just complains that the priestess must have done a lovely job, and boast how he'll use it to be a full demon.

-Kikyou is a lot more angry and bitter towards Inuyasha in the anime, even bragging to him that she killed Kagome at one point. In the manga, this stops after Inuyasha tells her about what Naraku did to them, and she confirms it with Kaede

-Miroku, while still very flirtatous in the manga, seems to grope a ton more women in the anime. Once Sango was introduced, he mostly groped her, and just flirted with other women (I may be wrong on this one).

-Kagome is a lot more calm and patient with Inuyasha in the manga, and REALLY plays up the sit command in the anime. One good example is after the fight with Toukajin. In the manga, once Inuyasha reveals that he's alive and asks why everyone is crying over them, Kagome tells him she's just glad that he's alive. In the anime, they fight, and tells him to "shut up and sit". Another example is in Chapter 249, where Kagome is upset at Inuyasha for not leaving her alone after seeing him with Kikyou. In the manga, she uses the sit command three times in a row. In the anime, she uses it ten times in a row, plus manages to sit him with the word "idiot" six times, and one more sit for good measure.

I have personally never seen Gundam Wing, but the way Sumisawa handled the characters in Inuyasha, as well as YOUR SIGHT MY DELIGHT make me not want to check it out

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 20, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I kind of want to get all the Initial D manga on Comixology but Kodansha decided it was a good idea to just plunk the entire lovely Tokyopop translation with RY TAKAHASHI and all those awful name changes on there for the volumes we had gotten before they lost the license and then a proper translation for the rest

At the same time I'd have legit digital releases though and may support it enough for them to go back and redo it and/or do a print release so I can replace my ratty old volumes of the Tokyopop release I had dating back to 2005 or so

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Truga posted:

i have no idea how much into specifics drama cd gets, but my opinion on just "dog god spirit rescues girl, when she grows up they do the happily ever after" is "it's dumb mythology bullshit"

it's crap you could probably lift from a thousand different fairy tale/mythology collections around the world :v:

it definitely takes influence from hakkenden and that starts with a woman being betrothed to a dog, having an immaculate conception, and then releasing eight magic beads as she dies

so you get dog demons and the shikon jewel from that at the least, dunno much else about inuyasha to tie the two though

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Willo567 posted:

I can give a few great examples of where this is seen in the anime vs the manga

-Kikyou is a lot more angry and bitter towards Inuyasha in the anime, even bragging to him that she killed Kagome at one point. In the manga, this stops after Inuyasha tells her about what Naraku did to them, and she confirms it with Kaede

Haha that makes me curious what her characterization afterward was like. Kikyou's weird "gently caress this, gently caress everything, gently caress me but gently caress you in particular" attitude was one of my favorite things about the show.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Willo567 posted:

I have personally never seen Gundam Wing, but the way Sumisawa handled the characters in Inuyasha, as well as YOUR SIGHT MY DELIGHT make me not want to check it out

not in a 'blowing off your concerns' way but i do think this is a super common issue that anime adaptations run into and it's impossible to chalk every loss of character nuance up to a specific writer's decision

this guy in question is a key example of that because most of his career is in writing scattered eps of shows with 50-200 episodes and that's not a position where you're given creative freedom. all of it is really big franchise shows where a writer would just be a piece of the equation

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
thinking about the fan reactions to JC Staff light novel adaptations over the years where people tally up the amount of times the kugimiya rie heroine beats the poo poo out of the protagonist in the source material, point out every time JC Staff added in extra "getting the poo poo kicked out of you by kugimiya rie character" scenes and claim that they ruined the romantic nuance

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
being a kugirie tsundere gets you flanderized but at the same time people DO want more scenes of louise flogging saito from dusk to dawn and then in the morning the maid wakes up and finds them both cut and bruised and half naked and tangled up in each other. complex issues

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The anti-Rowling is here to retroactively add problematic content to things

so they're a cool person then

actually your description is probably just actual rowling

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wing owns. Theres a scene where two guys are dying because theyre in a jail cell on a spaceship with their oxygen cut off and they decide to just look at pictures of yheir giant robots and go 'man wed beat SO many guys up if we had out giant robots.'

Theres a scene where two characters are having an argument on a dock and one of them is losing so he just steps to the side onto a raft thats randomly there and just floats off and the camera watches him float off silently for like 2 minutes

Theres a scene where a guy loses a fight, bows, and then just walks out of the room and into the ocean and silently floats to the bottom

And the show has like five things like this every episode. Theres no such thing as a boring episode of gundam wing

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its like if a war drama was also a shakesperean character drama and was also written by six people, alternating episodes, in separate rooms, who couldnt talk to each other, and the rooms all had gas leaks

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Every scene with Treize is gold, but the pinnacle is when he makes Wufei the most owned boy in all of history.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I remember watching the Wing dub back when GundamInfo had it and losing it at Relena yelling HEERO COME AND KILL ME at that party after the attack happens

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Endorph posted:

Wing owns. Theres a scene where two guys are dying because theyre in a jail cell on a spaceship with their oxygen cut off and they decide to just look at pictures of yheir giant robots and go 'man wed beat SO many guys up if we had out giant robots.'

Theres a scene where two characters are having an argument on a dock and one of them is losing so he just steps to the side onto a raft thats randomly there and just floats off and the camera watches him float off silently for like 2 minutes

Theres a scene where a guy loses a fight, bows, and then just walks out of the room and into the ocean and silently floats to the bottom

And the show has like five things like this every episode. Theres no such thing as a boring episode of gundam wing

drat this show sounds badass

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

chumbler posted:

Every scene with Treize is gold, but the pinnacle is when he makes Wufei the most owned boy in all of history.

Local man lures teenager out of giant robot, beats him up in a sword fight.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Talking about Gundam Wing just reminded me that that's what that character in BNA is a reference to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm watching the original Gundam and I can't believe this dingus in a mask is gonna near singlehandedly chart the course of history for decades to come.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a cool mask

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm watching the original Gundam and I can't believe this dingus in a mask is gonna near singlehandedly chart the course of history for decades to come.

I really appreciate the fact that Char is just wearing a modified space basketball mask while dunking on non-Amaro people a bunch.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Space Flower posted:

*monkey paw curls* enjoy your new season of hell girl

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm glad Rin got to gently caress Sesshomaru. :twisted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

Thinkin' about the I'll Kill You scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U4FkGe3Sw&hd=1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

my personal favorite is the episode where he builds a giant robot in his basement and then goes 'cool robot, huh heero. alright, let's make a suicide pact.' and then when heero comes back and just falls out of the robot unconscious treize just goes 'drat. who am i gonna kill myself with now.' and the fact that these two characters made a suicide pact is never referenced again

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hell Girl talk reminded me of the fact that Negima!? had a same voice actor joke that referenced the "perhaps it is time to die" line...in the dub

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The greatest joke in all of Gundam Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGl8Yq1EaX8

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Those stars up there? Those must be my tears

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Tracksuit ninja is cool. :colbert:

Boruto is a spoiled brat

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Do I gotta do my rant?

Wing is the best version of Gundam's "War is Bad" theme. It explores that pacifism only works against people who would recognize it; machines don't care. Heero's whole arc is that he's not a mindless killing machine, despite being raised as one, and is literally the guy on CaesarRelena's shoulder doing the 'memento mori' thing reminding her that if she strays from pacifism, nothing will stop him from wrecking her poo poo as originally ordered by Project Meteor.

And then the OVA is some narcissistic child saying "gently caress it, same plan but with mindless machines this time" and it goes off without a hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a show from 1995 its really prescient about war on terror stuff. not just the drones but there's literally a scene where a character goes 'those suits like to pretend having all these weapons makes us strong. the fact is, they're just proof of how cowardly we are. whenever we feel insecure, we just drop money on another warship, or a new platoon of mechs.'