Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

I really feel like we should get one of the force quit fragments out of the way, but on the other hand I'm also quite curious just how far down this rabbit hole we can go without touching that weird red box.
We could just do ONE of the force quit boxes to see what happens. C-Team Force Quit got a bunch of votes last time, so why not just check it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can I also state again, just for the record, how utterly terrible Eric is?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is there an option to wait 10 months and transport Eric to watch Mira kill him and rip out his heart?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
If I had to guess, Carlos is using the transporter in the Decontamination room fragment to follow Akane and Junpei, hence that "Running into the wall" was actually him destroying the camouflage.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
This is just a theory because the transporter explanation C-team would've gotten is off-screen, but they might not know the transporter only makes a copy of themselves in the other timeline leaving the original body behind. If you remember, the D-team that got left behind to become Phi's parents initially thought the transporter didn't work, and Sigma had to think about Zero's explanation for a while to get the whole concept. The version that did transport have been busy dealing with Eric's shotgun and haven't had time to let that sink in, so Diana probably didn't include that detail when explaining to Carlos how to use the transporter, and if Carlos didn't know he couldn't tell Junpei/Akane.

Onmi posted:

If I had to guess, Carlos is using the transporter in the Decontamination room fragment to follow Akane and Junpei, hence that "Running into the wall" was actually him destroying the camouflage.

We just saw that the receiving transporter also runs out of power after being used, so following them directly from another timeline won't work. The Decon transporter is charged, but the one he's trying to get to won't be.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 20, 2020

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
When is Carlos's new action film coming out?

I can only guess that the Junpei that was left in the pod cursed and cursed Carlos as he got destroyed by the explosion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aside from this, my favorite things about this whole section would be:

1. With the way things are framed, it really looks like Carlos did all of that SHIFTing just so he could dodge to the side.

2. Carlos wound up accidentally killing the Junpei and Akane he went back to save by blowing up the Transporter Room.

Carlos' Wild Ride is the section that keeps giving. :allears:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
This game owns

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So Carlos is full on action movie hero now, Diana was and continues to be the star of her own Telenovela, and Sean/Q is Bicentennial Man? Neo from The Matrix? Something else?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For whatever gripes I ended up having with this game, without it we would not have Carlos's Big Dumb American Timespace Adventure and for that it is a treasure.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

whitehelm posted:

This is just a theory because the transporter explanation C-team would've gotten is off-screen, but they might not know the transporter only makes a copy of themselves in the other timeline leaving the original body behind. If you remember, the D-team that got left behind to become Phi's parents initially thought the transporter didn't work, and Sigma had to think about Zero's explanation for a while to get the whole concept. The version that did transport have been busy dealing with Eric's shotgun and haven't had time to let that sink in, so Diana probably didn't include that detail when explaining to Carlos how to use the transporter, and if Carlos didn't know he couldn't tell Junpei/Akane.

We just saw that the receiving transporter also runs out of power after being used, so following them directly from another timeline won't work. The Decon transporter is charged, but the one he's trying to get to won't be.

So he'd have to transport at least 10 months before or after Junpei and Akane transport.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, Phi is going to be very confused when she wakes up in that timeline.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Huh. It's nice to see someone using these powers creatively for once. Go, Carlos!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Carlos' Wild Ride is big 'I want to go through Door 3/I'm Santa' energy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Carlos just discovered a new hammer, and it's a neat hammer, and he's gonna hammer everything nail-shaped or not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tonfa posted:

For whatever gripes I ended up having with this game, without it we would not have Carlos's Big Dumb American Timespace Adventure and for that it is a treasure.

:hmmyes:

Onmi posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I thought he head-butted the wall to SHIFT.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a SHIFTer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can we go back and shoot Delta again? I wanna see the latter half of 'that' scene.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
We shouldn't do that yet. I tried the shoot Delta stuff on my playthrough pretty much as soon as the LP, and let's just say it was confusing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everything regarding Delta is confusing. :argh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just caught up with the thread (although I did a post earlier having only read the least update).

A) When I played I did the transporter room first and you wouldn't believe how differently that frames the rest of the game.

B) Has anyone been keeping a list of every death password from every timeline? I noticed going through the LP that some of them are obviously paired (like Crash-Keys and Fire-Fight and Blue-Bird) and was wondering if maybe that could help explain some of the more obtuse ones. Like, seeing all the death passwords side-by-side (organized by timeline) might reveal more info than seeing them alone. Maybe they even form entire phrases when you combine all of them?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 20, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Carlos: Shift, Dream, Fire, Fight, Hero, Save
Junpei: Quark, Five, Jump, Ring, Hate, Doll
Akane: Crash, Key, Six, Hex, June

Q: Eye, Self, Age, Bro, Arm
Eric: Lake, Fool, Poor, Ice, Love
Mira: Kill, Heart, Rip, Virgin*

Diana: Bird, Mom, Blue, Moon
Sigma: Old, Milk, Fate, Dad
Phi: Dear, Twin, Red, Future, Time

* Apparently Eric's mother was named Virginia.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hm Doesn't seem like there are any more obviously connected terms than the ones I noticed. Oh well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like how there's so little info on Akane that they just gave her three variants of her bracelet number and then two based off her last name.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You'd think being the first Zero would be worth a mention.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

All this stuff has me paranoid that all of a sudden I'm gonna blink and be in a life-and-death situation where I'll probably die

Unless you're directly/indirectly connected to an amoral multiverse villain you'll be fiiiiine.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Unless you're directly/indirectly connected to an amoral multiverse villain you'll be fiiiiine.
Unfortunately, that stops being reassuring when you remember that almost everybody in these games didn't know they were directly/indirectly connected. Junpei, Akane, Phi, and Sigma all thought they were basically just kids prior to each getting individually abducted, Diana was just a regular nurse at a hospital, Carlos had a sister sick with a weird illness but has no other links to people here, etc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

You'd think being the first Zero would be worth a mention.

She isn't the 'First' Zero, just the first of the series. The Pharma company had Zero's who ran the games before.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Onmi posted:

She isn't the 'First' Zero, just the first of the series. The Pharma company had Zero's who ran the games before.

Lord Gordain's lot ran death games, and Ace ran the first Nonary Game, but there's no indication that any of them used the 'Zero' alias.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Onmi posted:

Those weren't called Zero though, were they? Neither Gordain nor Cradle actually used the name Zero before, that was all June and Santa.

e;fb

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mindblast posted:

I run a hotel. I've made many enemies that make Akane and Mira look like sane, well-adjusted pillars of society

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 20, 2020

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Clarste posted:

A) When I played I did the transporter room first and you wouldn't believe how differently that frames the rest of the game.

I cannot possible imagine going through the whole game with ONLY transporter info

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I run a hotel. I've made many enemies

I would advise immediately acquainting yourself with all the hidden passages.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Can we just take a moment to consider how utterly horrifying it must be to be the Carlos that SHIFTer Carlo is currently displacing?

Ax Murderer Carlo just got booted to the same room but with a weird red glowing eye boy robot lunging toward him just after chopping Akane's neck, THEN suddenly in a completely different room, shot by a shotgun and dying with people that shouldn't be there?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Marluxia posted:

Can we just take a moment to consider how utterly horrifying it must be to be the Carlos that SHIFTer Carlo is currently displacing?

Ax Murderer Carlo just got booted to the same room but with a weird red glowing eye boy robot lunging toward him just after chopping Akane's neck, THEN suddenly in a completely different room, shot by a shotgun and dying with people that shouldn't be there?

Don't worry, by the time that Carlos could mentally register what had just happened to him he'd already be dead! So it's all good. :v:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Marluxia posted:

Definitely the worst case but C-Team's consciously inflicted some serious torture on C-Team outside of that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Ace never used the name Zero. If he had, he probably would've taken that identity a lot more seriously from the outset rather than sacrificing Kubota to see whether or not the game is legit.

I mean, he definitely still would've killed Kubota, but still.

Marluxia posted:

poo poo day for that Carlos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have to wonder if there's a timeline where Ace just... plays good, gets to the Captain's Quarters and confesses.

And then Akane just gets baffled and goes, '...well, I did not see that coming. Literally, I didn't see it in my heat vision.'

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

poo poo day for that Carlos.

A SHIFT day :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Marluxia posted:

Life is simply unfair. Don't you think?