Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Is divorce4menuk dot com a Liz Taylor fan site?

Phones4U subsidiary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dead Goon posted:

The answer clearly lies somewhere in the middle.

The Lib Dems are abusers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm not gonna take any vaccine the UK gov offers for some time tbh

i just honestly dont trust them to not push some bullshit to get people back to work that gives you heart problems 5 years down the line cause they skipped human trials

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Spitting image returning to our screens? That'd be perfect for 2020.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

i just honestly dont trust them to not push some bullshit to get people back to work that gives you heart problems 5 years down the line cause they skipped human trials

That's certainly a take :tinfoil:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good news though, they preordered 90 million vaccines that haven't gone to trial yet. And they definitely won't roll them out and see what sticks even if they end up killing people.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Necrothatcher posted:

this is parked outside the court atm

I can't be the only one who saw this and thought of the old "How to cook men/How to cook for men/How to cook forty men/How to cook for forty men" joke

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The governement's human trial is giving michael gove the vaccine and seeing if he survives, which is flawed on several levels.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

kingturnip posted:

That's certainly a take :tinfoil:

i've read several dozen articles by now about how "x company is FAST FORWARDING their vaccine program!"
thats a real bad idea. i'm not taking any vaccine that has been rushed lol, crappy vaccines can be super loving dangerous.

we've also seen the collapse in credibility of PHE and the central NHS
so yeah i just don't trust them. I'll wait and see personally.

would the gov and media pushing a vaccine that later turns out to be harmful really be beyond imagination at this point?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The tories managing to gently caress up messaging on the vaccine enough for the virus to survive, mutate and kickstart a second pandemic would absolutely be on brand for them.

I'll take it because the virus itself has much worse long-term consequences for me than any possible cute, but that's not going to loving matter if it survives in pockets of gammons reinfecting each other to own the libs.

The Libearian posted:

Its a loving rough time to be be online as a survivor.
Given that you just posted a huge character assassination of someone proven to be a survivor, I'd say yes, yes it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not like tory governments have ever had any issues with massively mishandling medical crises in the past.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

i've read several dozen articles by now about how "x company is FAST FORWARDING their vaccine program!"
thats a real bad idea. i'm not taking any vaccine that has been rushed lol, crappy vaccines can be super loving dangerous.

we've also seen the collapse in credibility of PHE and the central NHS
so yeah i just don't trust them. I'll wait and see personally.

would the gov and media pushing a vaccine that later turns out to be harmful really be beyond imagination at this point?

yeah this. won't be taking it if its been fast tracked & no research has been done into how it interacts with 5g

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If it's the Oxford one then it'll probably be fine since after reading the article they seem super competent and they only have a headstart because they were working on a MERS vaccine and were able to switch gears.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

they dumped the failed vaccine into the lake and it turned all the frogs into hauwei phones

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Szmitten posted:

If it's the Oxford one then it'll probably be fine since after reading the article they seem super competent and they only have a headstart because they were working on a MERS vaccine and were able to switch gears.

Yeah, the oxford vaccine research is basically the only thing that's keeping me hopeful about the prospect of ever leaving my house for more than an hour at a time to buy groceries again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'll take the vaccine because it'll probably be demanded of me by the NHS Trust that employs me.
And if there are significant side effects, then the NHS will be catastrofucked beyond anything we've ever seen. Which makes me think it will - in all likelihood - be a very safe vaccine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kingturnip posted:

I'll take the vaccine because it'll probably be demanded of me by the NHS Trust that employs me.
And if there are significant side effects, then the NHS will be catastrofucked beyond anything we've ever seen. Which makes me think it will - in all likelihood - be a very safe vaccine.

What's that? You say a vaccine with serious side effects would be the final conclusive proof that the NHS isn't fit for purpose and must be privatised immediately? Well, good thing nobody has any incentive to try and convince us of that then. Especially our benevolent and caring government.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

Climbing sounds like my idea of hell (give me rope access any day), but it's fascinating to see all the different things that flourish when basic needs are taken care of, even a little bit.
Maybe not surprisingly, a number of good climbers of that period also worked rope access, and for instance offshore rig work fits quite well if you want to spend a few weeks at a time doing very well paid work to fund climbing expeditions in your off duty time. I know a couple of people who got into that line of business through climbing.

What you say about acting being overly middle class and white unfortunately holds true in UK outdoor activities as well. As you can tell from my post it was also very much a boys' club for a long time, though I could have mentioned women like Lucy Walker, one of the best alpinists of the 1800s, or exceptional climbers of the 1980/90s like Alison Hargreaves and Lucy Creamer. That aspect has definitely improved a lot and you'll see a pretty even gender split at the crag now I think.

Red Oktober posted:

That is a super post - I had no idea the background was so similar to the music scene in those ways - although I did know about the Sheffield side from when I met Steve McClure a few years back - he was setting the wall at (what was the) Reebok gym in Canary Wharf. I have a signed copy of his autobiography from that day! It has whole sections on Sheffield (where he still lives)

That's really cool! I also saw him route setting once or twice. I was always impressed how fast he'd work, and that he'd spend the whole day hanging from the wall in an unpadded competition harness. Seemed a very quiet and humble guy, and also really tiny - you wouldn't think to look at him that he's one of the best climbers of his generation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

Leavers weren't concerned about the EUs homosexual agenda. A whole lot of other bigoted attitudes yes but those also pre-date the EU.

Don't be so sure. YouGov round a huge difference (averaging twenty points) in how Leavers and Remainers view trans right, with Remainers being more tolerant.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/Babble___/status/1285192802796789760

Not even sure he's adopted tbh. I can see the family resemblance.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tapes of Heard & Depp talking in therapy contain clear admissions by Heard that she was emotionally and physically abusing him, and that she would gaslight him saying it was his fault for making her mad.

That's obviously terrible, but shouldn't therapy be ridiculously confidential?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dabir posted:

What's that? You say a vaccine with serious side effects would be the final conclusive proof that the NHS isn't fit for purpose and must be privatised immediately? Well, good thing nobody has any incentive to try and convince us of that then. Especially our benevolent and caring government.

I meant that there would - even with an exceptionally friendly and sycophantic media - be quite literally no way for a Government to recover from giving an improperly-tested vaccine with serious side effects to 75-80% of NHS staff.
It would be 'flee the country'-levels of bad.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Humans are such easy prey...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Stop freaking out about vaccines please you sound like morons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean half my family was wiped out by HIV infected blood transfusions in the 80's so call me skeptical of the government's ability to not kill loads of people through politically motivated medical malpractice.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I meant that there would - even with an exceptionally friendly and sycophantic media - be quite literally no way for a Government to recover from giving an improperly-tested vaccine with serious side effects to 75-80% of NHS staff.
It would be 'flee the country'-levels of bad.

haha, what are they gonna do? lock themselves up?

worst that can happen is they lose an election and go get some cushy directorship or edit a paper

and even then I think you're seriously underestimating how sycophantic the UK media is.
its UK doctrine to not mention anything that would upset the public, cause thats not in the public interest.
there'd be an inquiry but there would be bipartisan agreeement across the whole establishment that nobody would want peoples faith in the government shaken too much.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

That's not really demonstrating anything, Leavers were more socially regressive than average about a whole lot of things. My argument was that having minority rights campaigns existing prior to and independently of EU requirements mean that the EU is not seen as a plot by the gays in the same way is is often framed in eastern Europe and Russia.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

like its worth remembering that in the last 10 years the tories have:
- killed 100,000+ people with austerity to make their friends wealthier
- are currently deporting black british citizens to countries they have never been to because the home office intentionally destroyed their passports
- stripped building regulations and let a tower full of people burn to death to save five grand
- publically announced they were going to have us all "take this on the chin" with an epidemic that has gone on to kill tens of thousands and basically every government minister has broken quarantine during

there is nothing thats so beyond the pale that the press won't cover for them, and nothing so beyond the pale that the establishment would risk upsetting social order over. the press may turn on bojo and try to get the knighted spook in instead but they won't actually enforce any consequences on the government. thats antithetical to the way the UK does things and always has been.

so yeah im sorry, the government could posion you and all your colleagues and have a report coming out proving they did it on purpose and who is gonna enforce consequences? whats the mechanic to do so? shame? the honour system?
there'd be some guardian and indie opeds and then within 2 years you'd be called hysterical for bringing it up

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

there'd be some guardian and indie opeds and then within 2 years you'd be called hysterical for bringing it up

Now is not the time (when is it ever?), stop doing down ArE BriTanE. We are where we are. Time to put this behind us and start building a better Britane. Masks off, poppies on, and clap for BoJo on a Thursday evening.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Saros posted:

Stop freaking out about vaccines please you sound like morons.

Vaccines aren't apolitical, it is possible to critically look at their application without being anti-vax.

I will die on this hill.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There was some crazy illegal rave on a deserted airfield near bath last weekend. 3000 people. The police said they couldn't shut it down until morning as they didn't have enough officers.

Sounds nuts. I wish I was young again.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

thrashingteeth posted:

it is possible to critically look at their application without being anti-vax.

lol no it's really not

either you think vaccines are a good or thing or you don't, there's really no grey area here

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

lol no it's really not

either you think vaccines are a good or thing or you don't, there's really no grey area here

Vaccines being rolled out before they have been tested fully or have had their serious side effects over looked because the government really just want everything "back to normal" so number can go up seems a reasonable grey area.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jippa posted:

There was some crazy illegal rave on a deserted airfield near bath last weekend. 3000 people. The police said they couldn't shut it down until morning as they didn't have enough officers.

Sounds nuts. I wish I was young again.

they've been happening on dartmoor regularly since the lockdown started, presumably the same everywhere else.

Luckily the virus can't transmit during <insert mockery of music popular with youths>

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Vaccines being rolled out before they have been tested fully or have had their serious side effects over looked because the government really just want everything "back to normal" so number can go up seems a reasonable grey area.

except you realise it's not the government that's doing the testing, right? it's not really up to them if the vaccine gets released or not

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

lol no it's really not

There loving is, vaccines are good but the people likely to be overseeing and legislating said good thing are such monumental cunts that they will probably accidentally irradiate the samples and then we get planet hulk.

Wait no, that would be cool.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Julio Cruz posted:

lol no it's really not

So how are they made? Do they just pop out of the ground with no external factors effecting the duration of their production?
Vaccines are good no question but pretending that they are somehow immune to the issues surrounding biomedical research PARTICULARLY when there is a global pandemic is just unrealistic.

forkboy84 posted:

Makes sense to me tbh.