Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1285237425581649920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tired Moritz posted:

wtf is smt nine

Some Japan-only SMT game on the Xbox back in 2002. It got decent reviews, nobody bought it, and that was the last time anyone talked about it for eighteen years.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

The realization is slowly starting to set in that I'll finally be able to see Giremehkala slap his belly in high definition.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Tired Moritz posted:

wtf is smt nine

Think that was some kinda attempted MMO thing? Multiplayer, at least.

EDIT: I'm wrong, apparently it was a .hack// kind of set-up.
https://hg101.kontek.net/megaten/spinoffs.htm

Lock Knight fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 20, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Very excited about these simultaneous releases.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arist posted:

Very excited about these simultaneous releases.

All one of them?

Note: Still one more than the zero there ever has been before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was under the impression Nocturne was releasing worldwide simultaneously as well, oh

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yaaaaay, I’ll finally be able to play Nocturne and submit myself to death by Matador! Also, give me all the SMT switch games.

Question: how much am I shooting myself in the foot if I go for a magic build instead of a physical one? Both LPs on here went physical iirc.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Awesome! I actually never finished nocturne lol and I always thought to just wait for the remaster since they do so many

I didn’t think it would take this long but hey.

2021 feels like an eternity though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wonder if they put out nocturne hd on PC as well. Maybe they didn't think P4G would do as well as it did?

Definitely going to hope that they keep putting out PC releases though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you, a fool: "i beat sekiro, i'm pretty sure i can handle a ten-year old jrpg"
matador: "LA VACILACIÓN ES DERROTA" *stabs you in the brain*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

It looks to be the same Kaneko 3d models for all the characters and demons. I'm guessing if there's any new art it will be Doi (SMT4 artist)

Don't know who the VAs are but I'll make another guess that Patrick Seitz will be doing the directing and there will be a lot of familiar names

edit: oops I misread and thought you meant the remake. yeah I don't know

I switched games between sentences.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

jimmydalad posted:

Yaaaaay, I’ll finally be able to play Nocturne and submit myself to death by Matador! Also, give me all the SMT switch games.

Question: how much am I shooting myself in the foot if I go for a magic build instead of a physical one? Both LPs on here went physical iirc.

Nocturne's magic build is VERY strong, and arguably more useful over the game in general as there are more weaknesses to exploit if you go magic
However, there is only Focus aka Power Charge, no Magic Charge equivalent, and physicals can crit, and there are skills that can increase your crit chances
Also, Demifiend gets some really powerful endgame physical skills too that are unique to him; can't remember if he gets magic equivalents

I'd say you're not as much shooting yourself in the foot as shooting the demons in the head less. Your peak will not be as high, that's about it, by all means go magic!

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the true final boss will laugh off your magic-stat nukes, which isn't to say he's unbeatable like that but you'll probably end up relegating your protagonist to a support role.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

huh

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think one of the advantages of Phys over Magic builds is that you don't have elements to cover so you have more space for buffs/support/healing skills.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pretty topical to have the protag sporting a quarantine self-haircut

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Yeah, I remember the endgame superboss has innate almighty magic resistance. I forgot that there's no mind focus in Nocturne since I haven't played it in over a decade!

Even if you don't go heavy on magic I remember the tornado spell which you can get early on is pretty OP.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

Hello thread.

I played Persona 5 Royal and Persona 4 Golden in that order and I have some thoughts I'd like to spew out into the void.

I wish I'd played 4 first. For a JRPG it really is quite a fun and interesting experience, but holy poo poo 5 improved upon it in every way possible. The dungeons in 4 are almost impossibly tedious in comparison and the only thing that changed from the first dungeon to the last was the scenery. What a god-awful slog. Don't get me wrong, the dungeon exploration / combat was easily the least interesting aspect of 5, but the fluidity and general design of the mechanics kept the energy kinetic and it never seemed to truly outstay its welcome. The inclusion of Mementos XP bonuses / the insta-kill move made grinding in 5 almost a pleasure - a feat which I've never seen another a JRPG come even close to matching.

The main reason why I wish I played 4 first was 5 spoiled me when it came to being made in their respective eras. I was genuinely interested when 4 started introducing what looked to be a stereotypically masculine man struggling with his sexuality and what I suspected to be a trans-man, but no turns out they were just confused and they needed to be shown how to accept what society has ordained for them which as the main character I dutifully and uncritically did. It's not for me to determine whether or not insulting representation in something like 4 is better than no representation in something like 5, but I was uncomfortable as gently caress about how they dealt with all of that stuff and actually appreciated that I wasn't forced to misgender a friend so close we shared an apparently unbreakable bond. Similarly I was glad that my best friend in 5 didn't have to regularly and loudly worry that our gay friend might rape us.

But holy poo poo the most jarring direct comparisons is that of Morgana and Teddie. I drat near shed a tear for Morgana. I loving hated Teddie. That hosed up, grotesque sex offender is one of the most annoying, abrasive, and creepy characters I've ever seen in any game. When he took a deep concern in my character's 7 year old sister, it was utterly bizarre watching the game trying to force me to empathise with the biggest piece of poo poo in any game I've played in the last ten years as he creepily looms over a 7 year old girl expressing a bizarre depth of emotion that was not established in text. It is absolutely baffling to me how Teddie was ever written as sort of an emotional core to the story. Especially when able to directly contrast it with a character like Morgana. Teddie is a truly loathsome entity and easily the worst part of both games by a considerable distance.

Thanks for not reading.

I played P5 a few years back and loved it; it was the first Atlus game I'd ever played at that point. Sometime after that I picked up P4G, played it for a while, and dropped it at some point after the Kanji dungeon. I feel exactly the same as you.

I also put about 20-30 hours into P3P at one point, and while I found it too dated (in terms of mechanics) for me to want to see it through to the end, I have warmer memories of my 20-30 hours playing P3P than I do of my 20-30 hours playing P4G.

e: Excited to try out Nocturne and SMTV next year as I've got next to no experience with the mainline SMT series.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Magic is perfectly viable and fun as long as you aren't going for the True Demon Ending. The final boss of TDE takes 25% damage from all elements including almighty and the only way to get through that is Pierce, which is physical only. You can get Pierce on your demons but it's a pain in the rear end so it's a lot easier to just have the demi-fiend do the damage. Who knows if that is going to change at all in the remake, though. At the very least Raidou gets Pierce while Dante didn't so that makes things a bit easier.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Finally, my nonstop bitching about the lack of Nocturne Remaster has paid off.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i will never stop howling at the heavens until i am back in my junkyard

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
next year will once again be the year of the chad SMT fan vs the virgin Persona fan

the streets will run red with the blood of waifus

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
isn't the optimal nocturne route is magic early and str late?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Sadly, I want to go for the True Demon ending cause lol for going for any of the reason endings and the normal ending seems... meh. Guess I have to go physical or be a heal/buff bot at endgame.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

When I did TDE for the final battle I ended up with Raidou doing most of the attacking even though I had a physical build, I think mainly because only the MC can use items and I needed to keep MP topped off.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I never did TDE since nocturne was my first SMT game ever and I didn't have the will to replay and grind. But now that I am older and wiser (or stupider?) and being on the switch it's the perfect chance for me to attempt TDE. I just hope the remaster has enough differences from the original. Otherwise I'm super happy about this news!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

next year will once again be the year of the chad SMT fan vs the virgin Persona fan

the streets will run red with the blood of waifus
You say this now, but wait 'till you see the super cute girl who represents the neutral route. Look, she's super into manga! This pretty girl shares your niche interests!

(I actually liked Isabeau well enough.)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Actually, gently caress it. Magic seems fun, I’m not going to be doing maniac/whatever the hardest difficulty is since I’m not a lunatic, so I might as well go for MAG/VIT or whatever. Dunno what elements are good, but I might as well have fun with the game. I’ve seen enough LPs of the game that going physical will probably be boring. Magic + healing/buffs seems good to me

I’d be curious to see what would happen if it was released on PC. I’m aware of the existence of Hardtype and I can only imagine what the modding community would do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

You say this now, but wait 'till you see the super cute girl who represents the neutral route. Look, she's super into manga! This pretty girl shares your niche interests!

(I actually liked Isabeau well enough.)

Don't forget Ms. Yuko Takao, your teacher in Nocturne.Freedom is basically the Neutral route and Ms. Takao is both pretty and the only person who is nice to you in the whole game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoy what the SMTV protagonist looks like.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hellioning posted:

I enjoy what the SMTV protagonist looks like.
Snazzy outfit, quarantine haircut, cute overall.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SMT5 protag is much cuter than I would have expected yeah

Also, Nocturne remaster is genuinely all I wanted, so this is a very good day for me

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I just realized that every SMT game has now been on at least one Nintendo console. I still remember being surprised that they went with the 3DS for 4.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Supersonic Shine posted:

I just realized that every SMT game has now been on at least one Nintendo console. I still remember being surprised that they went with the 3DS for 4.

What else were they going to put it on, the vita? lolno

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Genuinely thought the SMTV protagonist was a woman before I realized that's just the Kaneko Look(tm)

The voice acting in the Nocturne trailer has me intrigued. I can't imagine that it'd be that much work to do for major story scenes because there's only like, what, twenty of them in the entire game? But I don't know if voices would take away from the original game's total silence.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah idk, I don't really want to hear the Reasons being voice acted.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
yosuga speech about clawing your way up to achieve dominance but given by an unenthused teenage girl

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I figure if nothing else you can probably turn voice volume down to zero, that's what I did for SMT IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011